The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Sat Sep 28, 2019 12:35 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:57 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm
"In a letter to the complainant, the BBC added that "audiences should not be able to tell" the opinions of its journalists on matters of public policy."

:lol:
This apparently extends to an "opinion" that "racism is bad".
Don't get too Carried away Pru Google resisting whiteness an event to be held at Edinburgh university. No white people are allowed to speak and ask questions and they have a safe space for non-whites only. Reverse racism in a so called impartial country is hardly acceptable nor I would have thought legal?

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Sat Sep 28, 2019 8:26 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Sep 27, 2019 11:57 pm
Enoch wrote:
Thu Sep 26, 2019 1:13 pm
"In a letter to the complainant, the BBC added that "audiences should not be able to tell" the opinions of its journalists on matters of public policy."

:lol:
This apparently extends to an "opinion" that "racism is bad".
I’d love to know who complained. Who was sitting at home thinking ‘can’t be having that, criticising racism. Get me a pen Barbara’.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Sep 28, 2019 1:01 pm

The ability of folk to look at a post and read what they're thinking, rather than what was written...

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Mon Oct 07, 2019 10:33 am

the Lib Dems agreed to stand aside in Dominic Grieve's seat
Good luck with that Frenchie, the local Tories absolutely despise you and given the Majority was about 24,000 last time with the Limp Dems polling 5,000 and odd, you will soon be back home in your beloved EU.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Oct 07, 2019 11:14 am

As a self-confessed none expert on politics, I can't help thinking that however this pans out, the thing that might be best remembered is that the "By the people, for the people" hymn got kicked forcefully in the teeth by those who sang the loudest before the vote. In reality, "the people" hadn't much to do with any of it and the whole vote was just a waste of time. As you were.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 09, 2019 11:00 am

Jean-Claude Juncker has warned that No Deal Brexit will 'lead to the collapse of the United Kingdom' as the EU heaped pressure on Boris Johnson to cave to its demands.

The commission president dismissed suggestions that the bloc will be to blame for failure to get an agreement, jibing that Britain had committed the 'original sin' of trying to leave.
Stay off the bottle Jean-Claude, overindulgence is not good for you.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm

jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:29 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:22 pm
jimbo wrote:
Tue Sep 24, 2019 2:10 pm
I mean it was decided 11-0.

11 experienced judges have all independently come to the same conclusion. Without being party to all the evidence submitted, I’m happy to go with that as a fairly robust decision.
One of the things which pleases me greatly about it being an unequivocal 11-0 is that neither Johnson nor his acolytes get to turn round and claim that even our cleverest legal clogs couldn't agree on it.
Exactly. It carries so much weight it really can’t be questioned. I’ve already heard some Tory Mps pushing a people Vs the courts agenda which is deeply worrying and irresponsible.
Rubbish! sorry but total utter rubbish, there are a growing number of people accross the country who believe our courts are going the route of not fit for purpose and the fact these people are pat on the back jobby's not even remotely answerable to anyone makes it worse.

taddyontoast
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by taddyontoast » Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 12:24 pm

Rubbish! sorry but total utter rubbish, there are a growing number of people accross the country who believe our courts are going the route of not fit for purpose and the fact these people are pat on the back jobby's not even remotely answerable to anyone makes it worse.
Hmm... interesting ideas... who should the supreme court be answerable to and what would such answerable-to-ery actually look like?

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 16, 2019 12:52 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Hmm... interesting ideas... who should the supreme court be answerable to and what would such answerable-to-ery actually look like?
One thing I am certain of they should not get involved in politics and what exactly was their decision? Is what Boris did illegal? No because it just happened again, it would seem it was the length of time they had a beef with but surely that is for parliament to decide not some wealthy, non representative, non politician and her wealthy cronies assisted by the clueless, self important judges. Just because our thick incompetent MP's never thought about setting out the terms to prorogue does not make it the business of the court, no matter how rich the weeping wailers are.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:35 pm

What Johnson did was, inarguably, unlawful.

Anyone who argues otherwise does not understand our constitution.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:40 pm

taddyontoast wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 5:09 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Theoretically, the whole idea of governments, parliaments and laws are put in place for the benefit of the people; "by the people, for the people". If any of them don't operate those principals to set rules, then they certainly should be answerable or they are working for their own ends. "The people" ,as a whole and in general, rely on the judgement of those in positions of power due to their supposed wisdom and experience and the fact that they are only in power because of such. Laws and rules are laid down with the people trusting the lawmakers and government to work on their behalf .Would you say that is the case in U.K right now, with Brexit as a prime example? A bit sort of "Who judges the judges?"....

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:20 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 1:35 pm
What Johnson did was, inarguably, unlawful.

Anyone who argues otherwise does not understand our constitution.
What constitution ah you mean the one made up by parliament as they go along. Nothing that is cast in absolute stone.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Sun Oct 20, 2019 7:03 am

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Oct 29, 2019 11:24 pm

At flaming last!!! Bye bye Sourpuss and your pals.

Now let's see where this massive remain vote is, going to be interesting think I might buy some shares in Kleenex :lol:

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am

Will Swinson resign if she does not get elected PM like she claims she will be?
Or is that asking too much of an undemocratic liberal who knows best?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 30, 2019 9:31 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 8:42 am
Will Swinson resign if she does not get elected PM like she claims she will be?
Or is that asking too much of an undemocratic liberal who knows best?
Won't matter much one way or the other who is P.M, Hobes. The country's run by the private sector and apart from making cuts and tax collecting Parliament has about as much influence as the Muppet Show. Development corporations, energy services and Broadband providers rule the roost. High street banks and Post offices shortly to follow the "All Our Yesterdays" candidates into a T.V media show. Like the first police question after a crime has been committed: "Who benefits?" is the relevant one. It surely isn't us.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am

You won't be bothering then?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:31 pm

From Twitter:

In the end its quite a bold pitch to say: "In the last four years we gave you a Brexit referendum, three different prime ministers, lost our majority in a snap general election, and we didn't get Brexit done. Vote for us, the only party you can trust to get Brexit done."

Our works Christmas party on the 12th. In the office. Dimbleby and cans. Pogues and politics We've got dancing in one room and BBC news in the other. I cannot wait, it's going to be class.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 30, 2019 1:08 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 11:29 am
You won't be bothering then?
Does that question mean you have an answer to it all ? I'll vote for you if you do.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:54 pm

I'll have an answer to who I'll be voting for.

But you say the country is run by the private sector and Parliament has no influence. So presumably, given that's what you think, you won't be bothering?