The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by Hoboh » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:17 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 12:31 pm
From Twitter:

In the end its quite a bold pitch to say: "In the last four years we gave you a Brexit referendum, three different prime ministers, lost our majority in a snap general election, and we didn't get Brexit done. Vote for us, the only party you can trust to get Brexit done."

Our works Christmas party on the 12th. In the office. Dimbleby and cans. Pogues and politics We've got dancing in one room and BBC news in the other. I cannot wait, it's going to be class.
A touch disingenuous Pru, Brexit was stalled by the creatures now busy fleeing the swamp and frankly it was May and her pair of stupid advisers that lost the majority in that election. Hand on heart, I have never voted Tory in my entire life, this time I will. When younger I voted Labour, moved to the Lib Dems then UKIP over the EU issue, with that idiot woman in charge, Swinson, I'd rather be dead in a ditch than vote for Lib Dems as for Corbyn? well....... Farage is now yesterdays man so not really much choice.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:34 pm

There are undoubtedly many factors and it isn't fair to say the current mess is all the Tories' fault, but while it may be glib, it's difficult to disagree with any of it, particularly given it's about the self-styled "party of government".

It'll be the Lib Dems for me I think. Can't bring myself to vote for Corbyn (and I live in the Dear Leader's constituency so would literally be voting for Corbyn).

Like most people's it'll be a waste of time.

Genuinely think almost anything from Tory majority to Labour majority is possible here. Think we'll get loads of weird results where e.g the Tories get in somewhere lefty as Labour and Lib Dems split the vote (and vice versa with the Tories and the Brexit Party). Think there could also be some tight 4 way races. Lots of "fine margins".
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 3:54 pm
I'll have an answer to who I'll be voting for.

But you say the country is run by the private sector and Parliament has no influence. So presumably, given that's what you think, you won't be bothering?
Why so interested in what I think? How will my decisions affect you? Parliament ( ie the government in power) has been responsible for privatising just about everything over a long period in its haste to blame shift and ass-cover whilst making a monstrous cxck up of the country. Until somebody convinces me they are worth voting for,(it certainly won't be Labour for the first time in my life) probably not. I'll fence sit for now thank you. Online politics is an easy game to play and self-righteousness and opinionism not worth a carrot. In that respect, my view is every bit as good as your own.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:11 pm

Because you wrote it on a public forum.

If you don't want anyone to comment/question/engage with what you say you might as well write it on a bit of paper then clod it in a fire.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Oct 30, 2019 6:38 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 5:11 pm
Because you wrote it on a public forum.

If you don't want anyone to comment/question/engage with what you say you might as well write it on a bit of paper then clod it in a fire.
Truly excellent advice, thank you. Meanwhile, I've just finished watching seven episodes of "The Troubles A Secret History on B.B.C I Player." . Takes a few hours watching, but I can recommend it as an example of complicity in politics being a little more than wearing a coloured tie and being a forum expert. Just mentioning...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:12 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Prufrock wrote:

But you say the country is run by the private sector and Parliament has no influence. So presumably, given that's what you think, you won't be bothering?
Why so interested in what I think? How will my decisions affect you? Parliament ( ie the government in power) has been responsible for privatising just about everything over a long period in its haste to blame shift and ass-cover whilst making a monstrous cxck up of the country. Until somebody convinces me they are worth voting for,(it certainly won't be Labour for the first time in my life) probably not. I'll fence sit for now thank you. Online politics is an easy game to play and self-righteousness and opinionism not worth a carrot. In that respect, my view is every bit as good as your own.
I mainly staying out of here but curiosity got the better of me - if you think privatisation is a bad thing - you perhaps have a singular chance to vote for a party who will reverse privatisation and has their clear manifesto pledge to re-nationalise many essential services etc....probably the last chance ever to stop the privatisation train - pun intended.

I'm not voting for them - but then I don't have privatisation/re-nationalising as a top priority.

But I was just interested - seeing as your major complaint is creeping privatisation and private companies "running the show" - yet the only party in the last 30 years (and in all likelihood the last time any party will stand on such policies) who clearly have intention to reverse this are the ones you say "I'm definitely not voting for them"?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Oct 31, 2019 11:09 am

^^^ To avoid re-writing the Bible with a dozen quotes......

My reason for fence sitting (clearly stated) is a very simple one, ie, I don't know which circus act to follow. Do I follow the stilt walker, the jugglers, the clowns or the pied piper?
I DO NOT KNOW...I'm freely admitting that. I'm also freely admitting (as I have done several times) that politics bores me to tears because every four years we have a new pied piper who is going to right all wrongs and lead us forth into that brave new world. What makes it worse is anyone ( internet experts etc) even remotely pretending they have the answer and opposing the views/opinions etc, of anyone who doesn't agree with them. At least I have the balls to plead ignorance based on experience of a country better than we have now and being completely baffled by its leadership's inability to agree a solution of any sort. I don't oppose other peoples' views, simply because I have no answers of my own. How can I have when the "brains" can't even agree?

Amen.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Thu Oct 31, 2019 12:20 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 9:12 am
TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:55 pm
Prufrock wrote:

I mainly staying out of here but curiosity got the better of me - if you think privatisation is a bad thing - you perhaps have a singular chance to vote for a party who will reverse privatisation and has their clear manifesto pledge to re-nationalise many essential services etc....probably the last chance ever to stop the privatisation train - pun intended.

I'm not voting for them - but then I don't have privatisation/re-nationalising as a top priority.

But I was just interested - seeing as your major complaint is creeping privatisation and private companies "running the show" - yet the only party in the last 30 years (and in all likelihood the last time any party will stand on such policies) who clearly have intention to reverse this are the ones you say "I'm definitely not voting for them"?
Ahhh but you see, I suspect there are quite a few rank and file ordinary people who would like the power and influence of private companies reigned in but won't entertain that party because of past experience of the solutions they promote and that's before their 'other' issues.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 31, 2019 7:18 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Oct 30, 2019 4:34 pm
There are undoubtedly many factors and it isn't fair to say the current mess is all the Tories' fault, but while it may be glib, it's difficult to disagree with any of it, particularly given it's about the self-styled "party of government".

It'll be the Lib Dems for me I think. Can't bring myself to vote for Corbyn (and I live in the Dear Leader's constituency so would literally be voting for Corbyn).

Like most people's it'll be a waste of time.

Genuinely think almost anything from Tory majority to Labour majority is possible here. Think we'll get loads of weird results where e.g the Tories get in somewhere lefty as Labour and Lib Dems split the vote (and vice versa with the Tories and the Brexit Party). Think there could also be some tight 4 way races. Lots of "fine margins".
I think there'll be some odd results but whereas I can see the Tories winning the odd Labour stronghold, I just can't see the reverse happening.

I like Corbyn but he's no leader and the party appear clueless as to which direction to take. I think they're going to get hammered in those seats where the electorate can be arsed to turn out.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:35 am

Sooo just as an aside, who is actually considering voting for jolly hockey sticks Swinson? I mean the leader not invited to a debate who claims it's because she is a woman and nothing to do with the fact she is not in the running to be, as she claims, PM with hundreds of seats, nine real seats to 321 :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I've heard of delusion but this takes the biscuit, it's Comrade Corbyn's mob, who incidentally have already overspent their overspending or the Tory's to form a government, the irrelevant noisy rabble from north of the border should get their wish but via a ballot of the English to make sure they go, complete with no defence pact and the hardest border you could imagine.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Tue Nov 05, 2019 12:33 pm

I'll be holding my nose and voting for them...only because they are the least worst option here.

SNP and Scottish Greens want independence so rules them out
Labour and Torys - do I need to spell it out

In my constituency it's SNP or Lib Dems :(

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Nov 05, 2019 2:13 pm

And me.

My MP is going to be everyone's favourite terrorist-sympathising anti-Semite, Lib Dems with the best chance of unseating him (albeit that's still practically no chance). All I can do towards my dream situation of a Labour minority govt with Corbyn losing his seat. That would be lols.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm

I'd never vote for them again but Swinson does have a point with the TV debate. As the 3rd biggest party in England and the only party campaigning on a Remain ticket, they should be included.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:16 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 3:03 pm
I'd never vote for them again but Swinson does have a point with the TV debate. As the 3rd biggest party in England and the only party campaigning on a Remain ticket, they should be included.
A point? No. Most politicians talk porkies and no doubt Boris and Corbyn will do their fair share but what is the point of an undemocratic wailing deluded self appointed God like creature being there, the woman's all mouth and sounds like wee Jimmy's sister.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 am

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:16 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
A point? No. Most politicians talk porkies and no doubt Boris and Corbyn will do their fair share but what is the point of an undemocratic wailing deluded self appointed God like creature being there, the woman's all mouth and sounds like wee Jimmy's sister.
She represents easily the 3rd biggest party in England and the 2nd biggest in swathes of the south. It's not inconceivable that they could beat Labour into 2nd place, or form another coalition govt. Like her or not, she should be on the platform and scrutinised with them both.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Nov 06, 2019 11:22 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:26 am
Hoboh wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 6:16 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
She represents easily the 3rd biggest party in England and the 2nd biggest in swathes of the south. It's not inconceivable that they could beat Labour into 2nd place, or form another coalition govt. Like her or not, she should be on the platform and scrutinised with them both.
imaginary internet £10 they don't Harry and another says she won't resign despite saying she is the next PM with hundreds of seats, read around and you will find she gets up an awful lot of peoples noses.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

^:if it's imaginary, I'll take that bet! :D

I don't think they'll beat Labour for seats won but it's not inconceivable. The point still stands though - she should be included on any televised leaders debate

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

I don't think they'll beat Labour for seats won but it's not inconceivable. The point still stands though - she should be included on any televised leaders debate
Not a one of them could lead a thirsty horse to a trough. I'm leaning towards Boris being so outrageously unconventional he might just work. What exactly do we have to lose, and that's a genuine question? In a world where the "power breakfasts" and Cafe Lattes of get-rich-quick commerce, have replaced the tea and a slice of toast of blue-collar sleeves up industry, why do we have "Cuts" as the most used word in politics and yet nobody will admit we're going backwards? If somebody is coining the shillings it surely isn't reflecting in everyday life of Joe public in "Great" Britain.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:40 pm

Just to clarify so I can try to make sense of it all, the first 24 hours of the Conservative campaign have been fun.

We’ve had a minister claiming he’d have survived Grenfell as he would have had the common sense to get out, then another MP confirming that yes, said minister is very clever which is why he didn’t die in a fire and why he’s leading the country.

We’ve had the conservatives editing a video of an interview Keir Starmer gave, inserting footage of him looking gormless and speechless in response to a question he actually had a go at answering.

We’ve had the leader and main supporting newspaper comparing the opposition party policy to Stalin persecuting and executing millions of Kulaks.

We’ve had a minister resigning for being aware that a colleague caused a rape trial to collapse.

Have I missed anything? The amazing thing is they’ll still bloody win as the opposition are so weak.

I’ve still not decided who I’ll vote for. My local MP is a minister who’s politics and actions I disagree strongly with. Labour are a distant second but the most likely to topple him, but I don’t like JC. I would vote Lib Dem’s, but they only got about 2% here last time, so what’s the point?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:50 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:26 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 12:03 pm

Not a one of them could lead a thirsty horse to a trough. I'm leaning towards Boris being so outrageously unconventional he might just work. What exactly do we have to lose, and that's a genuine question? In a world where the "power breakfasts" and Cafe Lattes of get-rich-quick commerce, have replaced the tea and a slice of toast of blue-collar sleeves up industry, why do we have "Cuts" as the most used word in politics and yet nobody will admit we're going backwards? If somebody is coining the shillings it surely isn't reflecting in everyday life of Joe public in "Great" Britain.
Given your main complaints seemn to be cuts, and financial services taking priority over industry (i think that's a fair summary of what you're saying but perhaps not) I just don't get why you'd vote for the Tories, the party of austerity who seem to have made defending billionaires an explicit pillar of their campaign, and not Corbyn's Labour who would love to nail the bankers, and spend billions on public services. Personally they're not for me this time, but they seem to tick your boxes to me.