Cod Almighty or Fleetwood Cack? (H) Sat 2 Nov, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Re: Cod Almighty or Fleetwood Cack? (H) Sat 2 Nov, 3pm

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:13 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:59 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 4:57 pm
Joey won't be the best pleased guy in Kipperville tonight..... :lol:
He's probably ramming Keith's head into a wall right now the horrible shitbag.
Great win, on a roll now. Well done to all. :oyea:
Gee, is it sad to want to be a fly on a Fleetwood wall when Joey, er.."analyses" the game, especially that first goal....? :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 pm

Barton’s post match comments seem reasonable, surprisingly. Probably fancies a crack at managing us. Up the whites!

Lowe top man. Edwards made a real difference, and helped Zouma relax. Luke Murphy appears to have turned a corner which is really positive...and the lads up top will get you goals!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 02, 2019 11:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 02, 2019 10:40 pm
Barton’s post match comments seem reasonable, surprisingly. Probably fancies a crack at managing us. Up the whites!
Wow, just read it. He gives is credit :shock: ....is he maturing at last? ....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:10 am

officer_dibble wrote:

Lowe top man. Edwards made a real difference, and helped Zouma relax. Luke Murphy appears to have turned a corner which is really positive...and the lads up top will get you goals!
Jake Wright. Unless beardy weirdy Noel had a word with young Yoan about positive cosmic vibrations...

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 am

Awesome game of football. Really entertaining, both teams trying yo play creative, thoughtful football.

- They had most of the ball, but we created the best chances.
- Lowe, O'Grady, Dodoo all really good for us, the rest had solid games too.
- Zouma is consistent. Looks like a really good prospect for 70 mins, then his hyper ADHD kicks in, he dons an imaginary cape, and goes charging around randomly. One excursion in the 88th minute was particularly terrifying. Hill needs to get him to feign injury on 70mins, and get the physio to force feed him a sedative.
- They were really good, and very attractive to watch. Not sure their keeper and defenders are quite good enough for the total football approach but they could easily finish top two. Lewis Coyle, their right back, was really good.

Four of our next five games are against teams in the bottom six. 28 points behind Coventry in the last play off spot, with two games in hand. COYW :)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 03, 2019 7:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:10 am
officer_dibble wrote:

Jake Wright. Unless beardy weirdy Noel had a word with young Yoan about positive cosmic vibrations...
Ah yes
That would be me failing to grasp our ever changing central defensive partnerships. Or last nights booze!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:22 am

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 6:43 am
Awesome game of football. Really entertaining, both teams trying yo play creative, thoughtful football.

- They had most of the ball, but we created the best chances.
- Lowe, O'Grady, Dodoo all really good for us, the rest had solid games too.
- Zouma is consistent. Looks like a really good prospect for 70 mins, then his hyper ADHD kicks in, he dons an imaginary cape, and goes charging around randomly. One excursion in the 88th minute was particularly terrifying. Hill needs to get him to feign injury on 70mins, and get the physio to force feed him a sedative.
- They were really good, and very attractive to watch. Not sure their keeper and defenders are quite good enough for the total football approach but they could easily finish top two. Lewis Coyle, their right back, was really good.

Four of our next five games are against teams in the bottom six. 28 points behind Coventry in the last play off spot, with two games in hand. COYW :)
Zouma is like that the whole game it just becomes more apparent as the stakes are raised and gaps appear in midfield....

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:29 am

I thought Zouma had a decent game, Lowe & Dodoo outstanding - I thought that it was strange to sub Politic but apparently it was tactical, D Murphy took his goal well. We did look tired again though last 20 mins and I thought that we sat back to much.

Decent performance, against a good Fleetwood side - referee was appalling though, one of the most biased I've ever seen.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:29 am
I thought Zouma had a decent game, Lowe & Dodoo outstanding - I thought that it was strange to sub Politic but apparently it was tactical, D Murphy took his goal well. We did look tired again though last 20 mins and I thought that we sat back to much.

Decent performance, against a good Fleetwood side - referee was appalling though, one of the most biased I've ever seen.

We didn't sit back, it's just a consequence of us not having any proper options on the bench forcing us to practically rely on the starting eleven to play the full ninety minutes. A starting eleven which includes a 36-year-old and two 33-year-olds.

Add to that them being genuinely a very good team and it was inevitable they'd dominate the latter stages.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:25 am

Terrific result.

Starting to believe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:29 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 9:16 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 8:29 am

We didn't sit back, it's just a consequence of us not having any proper options on the bench forcing us to practically rely on the starting eleven to play the full ninety minutes. A starting eleven which includes a 36-year-old and two 33-year-olds.

Add to that them being genuinely a very good team and it was inevitable they'd dominate the latter stages.
Think it’s a consequence of the pressing game we play. No way can you keep that up for 90 subs or not. Especially as you say with the ages of our players in the front three.

It’s a strange one because their goal was from nothing but you always felt we weren’t quite in control second half off the ball. We don’t quite look right even though we restricted them well enough.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 10:58 am

Fleetwood are one of the better sides in the division; points against that type of team are very welcome. I still think our (slim) chances of staying up are by winning the six-pointers against bottom-third teams, but it helps if we can nick points elsewhere too.

By the way, I worked out this morning that in the last three games we've been two goals clear for 75 minutes (52 v Cods, 1 v Citeh kids, 22 in Piratetown). That's more than we were in the entirety of last season (56 minutes: 10 at QPR, 27 v Millwall, 15 v Walsall in the Cup, 4 at home to Bristol City). For the record, in 2017/18 it was 90 minutes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Nov 03, 2019 11:24 am

Two things:

This side will not get relegated

Give Jason Lowe the Player of the Season award now, so as to save fecking about later on.
May the bridges I burn light your way

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 pm

I really like how Emmanuel, when he goes round the opposition wide player, then often heads infield and attacks their defensive midfield, central defensive areas, as opposed to heading down the line. It happened more at Bristol than yesterday, due to him being forced to defend more, but I remember one time it resulted in him being fouled and winning a free kick 30 yards out. I wonder if it is just the way he does things, or if it is something we work on?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:25 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 pm
I really like how Emmanuel, when he goes round the opposition wide player, then often heads infield and attacks their defensive midfield, central defensive areas, as opposed to heading down the line. It happened more at Bristol than yesterday, due to him being forced to defend more, but I remember one time it resulted in him being fouled and winning a free kick 30 yards out. I wonder if it is just the way he does things, or if it is something we work on?
Sounds a bit like Guardiola's inverted full-backs. Although he's not been doing it as much recently because of central defensive weakness, Kyle Walker spent quite some time in the previous two seasons dominating that old "inside-right" channel of the opposition's half. It's one of what Pep calls the interiores, key pitch areas which are often undermanned because they fall between opponents' positions.
interiores_grid2_0.jpg
interiores_grid2_0.jpg (57.34 KiB) Viewed 3648 times
The above diagram comes from my dear friend Andy (Not-That-One) Murray's superb look at Pep's systems upon the Catalan's arrival on these shores: enjoy a long Sunday read at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features ... nd-tactics

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Sun Nov 03, 2019 2:57 pm

^^ Thanks.

Yeah I've seen a few managers copying Pep's inverted full backs, Lee Johnson at Bristol City for one.

Obviously those managers are focusing on breaking teams down when they have the ball. With Emmanuel, it is more his direction of travel that I find interesting, rather than any obvious, preset positional directive from our management. There were better examples at Bristol that didn't make the highlights reel, but look here at 1:10. He beats his opponent, but then heads into midfield, rather than heading down the flank.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IVJNkIB5SLk

Highlights of yesterday:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WJLtSYL0s

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 03, 2019 3:02 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sounds like a Sammi Ameobi clone... :)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:25 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sounds a bit like Guardiola's inverted full-backs. Although he's not been doing it as much recently because of central defensive weakness, Kyle Walker spent quite some time in the previous two seasons dominating that old "inside-right" channel of the opposition's half. It's one of what Pep calls the interiores, key pitch areas which are often undermanned because they fall between opponents' positions.
interiores_grid2_0.jpg
The above diagram comes from my dear friend Andy (Not-That-One) Murray's superb look at Pep's systems upon the Catalan's arrival on these shores: enjoy a long Sunday read at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features ... nd-tactics
Ha. I think the reality is more Emmanuel just runs till someone stops him!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm

Cheeky fish-bothering bastards have launched a complaint about our stewards after their nerr-do-wells kicked off with them in the away end. 😐
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:44 pm

Goals on here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4WJLtSYL0s

Oh, and the Great Escape vid... :oyea: ....