Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Oct 03, 2019 6:34 pm

The only thing I remember about Dodoo is him getting a hat trick at Gigg Lane playing for Leicesters fringe squad in the league cup. That must be quite a few years ago now and he doesn't appear to have progressed much since. That said, a new coach, a new team and it could become a perfect fit.

Marshall has a far better pedigree despite playing for some shocking managers. Signing a high profile winger from Norwich sounds like a plan that can't possibly fail :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Oct 04, 2019 9:48 am

Prufrock wrote:
Thu Oct 03, 2019 5:53 pm
Don't know anything about him but seems a shame there's another one in front of Connor Hall. Needs must I guess.
He’s quick though which is something none of the frontline are. Offers something different.

Without doubt one of the shittyest pieces of luck was poor old Connor Halls injury in the week before we started. He had a chance then to establish himself in the squad.

TheN5Trotter
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by TheN5Trotter » Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:56 am

Would Darron Gibson be a good free signing?

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Oct 05, 2019 10:03 am

TheN5Trotter wrote:
Sat Oct 05, 2019 1:56 am
Would Darron Gibson be a good free signing?
He was on a huge wage at Sunderland and always seemed to be making headlines for the wrong reasons, so I'd probably pass personally

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Oct 15, 2019 12:07 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... idfielder/

Trialists have been trialled. Last night's U23s included 21-year-old Slovenian midfielder Timi Elsnik, available on a free; he came through Derby's ranks and was their 2015/16 scholar of the year, but didn't make the first team. Flicker had him on season-long loans at Swindon (2017/18) and Mansfield (2018/19).

At Swindon he had a few six- or eight-match runs in the side before similar-length absences; in all comps he played 21 (+4 subs) and scored 5. At Mansfield it was more bits and pieces, totalling 16 (+8 subs) games in all comps and 4 goals, before Flicker terminated the loan in January. Elsnik went to Northampton for the latter half of last season but never established himself: four starts, five subs, one goal.

We've previously also trialled ex-Boro winger Amadou Sylla (22, French), ex-Stoke left-back Moussa Niakate (22, French) and Portuguese midfielder Gilson de Costa (there's a 23-year-old Portuguese midfielder at Estoril called Gilson Costa, it's probably him).

Just out of interest, from what I can see neither Sylla nor Niakate have made a senior appearance (like Elsnik, Niakate played for his club's U23s as Big Club guests in the Sherpa Van) – which somewhat undermines Hill's previous bullish point about If You Haven't Been Playing Regularly By The Age Of So And So. Or, rather than undermining it, might simply mean it's been read wrong: he doesn't so much want to sideline youngsters as fast-track them.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:33 pm

Seems like we had Ben Marshall on trial and let him go...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fresh ... ft-bolton/

Original source is our friend Alan Nixon...

Surprised that a.) He was available as a free agent, and b.) He was deemed not worthy of being taken on. I remember him being a catalyst for Millwall's Championship play off challenge 18 months ago.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:38 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:33 pm
Seems like we had Ben Marshall on trial and let him go...

https://footballleagueworld.co.uk/fresh ... ft-bolton/

Original source is our friend Alan Nixon...

Surprised that a.) He was available as a free agent, and b.) He was deemed not worthy of being taken on. I remember him being a catalyst for Millwall's Championship play off challenge 18 months ago.
It was reported at the time that he was training. Seem to remember reading somewhere he has a rep as a troublemaker but can't remember where or why and can't be arsed to look. Sounded like he'd have been decent abilitywise though.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:07 pm

Ben Marshall would be absolute class at this level, surprised we passed.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Nov 04, 2019 9:57 pm

He might've added something but it's not often a player is a free agent at this late stage without good reason.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 pm

Maybe we couldn’t afford him - stringent wage cap under embargo

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Nov 04, 2019 11:28 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 10:35 pm
I'd be tempted to do a Sherlock probability rather than other possibilities on that one.If he came and trained he was obviously interested, and his quality is a known factor. The price ticket seems the most likely block.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:49 am

How long is Buckley out for?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:55 am

Surely we find out from agents etc. what his salary demands are likely to be before approaching & asking the player to come & train with us or come on trial.

Otherwise its just a complete waste of everyone's time, the club, staff & player in question.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:59 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:55 am
Surely we find out from agents etc. what his salary demands are likely to be before approaching & asking the player to come & train with us or come on trial.

Otherwise its just a complete waste of everyone's time, the club, staff & player in question.
We definitely will have an idea. But for example - Billy Clarke trained over the summer with us. When Hill came in he was offered a salary but turned it down as he was looking for £2.5K per week and that is higher than we're allowed to pay.

Also more than he's worth. But whatever.

Fairly sure that Marshall was brought in for Hill/Flicker to have a look but they went with Dodoo instead. A wise choice if you ask me.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:59 am
Bertie Wooster wrote:

We definitely will have an idea. But for example - Billy Clarke trained over the summer with us. When Hill came in he was offered a salary but turned it down as he was looking for £2.5K per week and that is higher than we're allowed to pay.

Fairly sure that Marshall was brought in for Hill/Flicker to have a look but they went with Dodoo instead. A wise choice if you ask me.
BWFCI, can you please show me / us where this is stated anywhere, on numerous occasions you have stated as if you are ITK regarding this £2k a week embargo salary limit - but you appear to be the only Bolton fan with this knowledge, and to be honest I don't believe you (however I will apologise if you can show proof of this £2k a week limit)

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Questionable. He's usually done the business wherever he's been and he's got a great right peg.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:10 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:09 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Questionable. He's usually done the business wherever he's been and he's got a great right peg.
Absolutely he's not a bad player. Would you rather have him or Dodoo? I think JD is at the level we're at pretty exceptional.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:13 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:07 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:

BWFCI, can you please show me / us where this is stated anywhere, on numerous occasions you have stated as if you are ITK regarding this £2k a week embargo salary limit - but you appear to be the only Bolton fan with this knowledge, and to be honest I don't believe you (however I will apologise if you can show proof of this £2k a week limit)
You can't prove it - its not written down anywhere in public - the league won't even give details out to the press.

All I know is that Billy Clarke wanted £2.5K per week but was told the club was unable to offer such a wage with the restrictions we're under.

The league calculate the wage allowance based on Salary Cost Management Protocol (SCMP) - its a % of turnover. I can imagine given our history they are monitoring very closely and being very tight. SCMP - applies to all league one clubs but usually they are only monitored end of season.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:17 am

So we have an overall wage budget for the squad not per player, and that the club possibly felt that they didn't want to pay Billy Clarke more than £2k a week - I'm sure over the past few months that you have been saying that we couldn't pay any player more than £2k a week ?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:35 am

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 9:17 am
So we have an overall wage budget for the squad not per player, and that the club possibly felt that they didn't want to pay Billy Clarke more than £2k a week - I'm sure over the past few months that you have been saying that we couldn't pay any player more than £2k a week ?
Its an overall budget - but the league under embargo can set restrictions on individual transfers (so for example when your squad is full and its one in one out you have to pay less for the incoming wage than the outgoing one etc).

All I've heard is that we're restricted to that amount. Whether there are exceptions in the average or not...the average league one wage is around this mark anyway - its not like we're not competitive.