Cod Almighty or Fleetwood Cack? (H) Sat 2 Nov, 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Cod Almighty or Fleetwood Cack? (H) Sat 2 Nov, 3pm

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:25 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 pm
I really like how Emmanuel, when he goes round the opposition wide player, then often heads infield and attacks their defensive midfield, central defensive areas, as opposed to heading down the line. It happened more at Bristol than yesterday, due to him being forced to defend more, but I remember one time it resulted in him being fouled and winning a free kick 30 yards out. I wonder if it is just the way he does things, or if it is something we work on?
Sounds a bit like Guardiola's inverted full-backs. Although he's not been doing it as much recently because of central defensive weakness, Kyle Walker spent quite some time in the previous two seasons dominating that old "inside-right" channel of the opposition's half. It's one of what Pep calls the interiores, key pitch areas which are often undermanned because they fall between opponents' positions.
interiores_grid2_0.jpg
The above diagram comes from my dear friend Andy (Not-That-One) Murray's superb look at Pep's systems upon the Catalan's arrival on these shores: enjoy a long Sunday read at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features ... nd-tactics
Ha. I think the reality is more Emmanuel just runs till someone stops him!
I commented on Saturday that it's the first time I've ever seen us having an underlapping fullback! Great to watch
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:28 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 8:53 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 1:25 pm
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 03, 2019 12:54 pm
I really like how Emmanuel, when he goes round the opposition wide player, then often heads infield and attacks their defensive midfield, central defensive areas, as opposed to heading down the line. It happened more at Bristol than yesterday, due to him being forced to defend more, but I remember one time it resulted in him being fouled and winning a free kick 30 yards out. I wonder if it is just the way he does things, or if it is something we work on?
Sounds a bit like Guardiola's inverted full-backs. Although he's not been doing it as much recently because of central defensive weakness, Kyle Walker spent quite some time in the previous two seasons dominating that old "inside-right" channel of the opposition's half. It's one of what Pep calls the interiores, key pitch areas which are often undermanned because they fall between opponents' positions.
interiores_grid2_0.jpg
The above diagram comes from my dear friend Andy (Not-That-One) Murray's superb look at Pep's systems upon the Catalan's arrival on these shores: enjoy a long Sunday read at https://www.fourfourtwo.com/us/features ... nd-tactics
Ha. I think the reality is more Emmanuel just runs till someone stops him!
I commented on Saturday that it's the first time I've ever seen us having an underlapping fullback! Great to watch
He's not far off being far too good for this level. I would say its just decision making. He often runs out of space rather than getting a ball across. Or sometimes goes inside when there is space out. He's impressive though. I hope we can keep him for next season - and Chicksen who is impressive for different reasons.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Mon Nov 04, 2019 3:42 pm

And only 22 - I'd be putting another year on his deal in Jan, as we could get decent money from him, if he carries on
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:19 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Cheeky fish-bothering bastards have launched a complaint about our stewards after their nerr-do-wells kicked off with them in the away end. 😐
They can complain all they want, but it looked from where I was sat like it was their own fault, there looked to be about 20-25 lads /school boys (not one looked older than 16, they looked like they were on a school trip) at the top of the stand singing and one lit a flare, so the stewards went in to eject him then a couple of others started swinging wildly at the stewards near the central netting, then a few stewards went in to eject the one or two throwing punches at them.

I don't know if anything happened afterwards on the concourse at HT / FT but I'm sure the cctv will show everything clearly - I actually thought that the stewards were quite restrained for once, I noticed in the 2nd half the kids went down to the bottom behind the goal.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:33 pm

That's exactly how I saw it too, Bertie.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Nov 04, 2019 4:45 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 04, 2019 12:16 pm
Cheeky fish-bothering bastards have launched a complaint about our stewards after their nerr-do-wells kicked off with them in the away end. 😐
I've never had an issue with them home or away despite being one of our 'top boys' with fireworks galore up my trousers. Ok maybe not.
You see with the thick bastard element of our youth support that some away fans turn simply to bait away fans and stewards, and are barely away of any sporting spectacle or otherwise. If that's the case I hope they got a pasting.
I'll not be taking seriously any moralising from the feck* who employs Joey Barton anyway, especially after reading this, in which he is less than convincing.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.blackp ... 749176/amp

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 04, 2019 5:06 pm

All these bankrolled non-teams end up attracting all the folk banned from their first clubs. Oiks.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 pm

Apologies if I've (presumably) missed this elsewhere. However, do we know why Hilly subbed the sub on Saturday?

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:39 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 8:39 pm
Apologies if I've (presumably) missed this elsewhere. However, do we know why Hilly subbed the sub on Saturday?

I think it was just a tactical change rather than it being anything to do with his individual performance. We needed to tighten our shape after they scored late on, and a winger of his style is the obvious one to sacrifice. Had Verlinden managed to last that long, I expect he'd have been the one brought off but because Politic had already replaced him it was he who made way instead.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:43 pm

And let's face it, if it had've been performance-related we'd know all about it by now.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 06, 2019 10:05 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Nov 05, 2019 11:43 pm
And let's face it, if it had've been performance-related we'd know all about it by now.
Yeah, I thought, or at the the very least hoped that it was tactical. Spot on with the above remark. :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 06, 2019 1:54 pm

:lol: aye, very true.

Seems to me to be more of him being a weirdo though. It seems a coincidence it comes one game after his Weir remarks and the criticism he got (those remarks included him saying not only would he sub someone after 20 mins but they he'd happily sub a sub). Next game and... Bingo.

I don't think you should never sub a sub but it's never going to be great for their confidence. Given we still had 3 strikers on the pitch (2 of whom are north of 33) I'm not sure it would've been Politic I took off.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:13 pm

Hill's got this team playing and winning, I'm amazed there is criticism of his subs and the way he's going about things tbh. Whatever he's doing is working wonders.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:23 pm

I'm amazed any Bolton fan is sitting there enjoying winning and not nervously worrying about how and when it will all inevitably go wrong.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:15 pm

Lol

Fair point on that one

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 pm

Jugs wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 2:13 pm
Hill's got this team playing and winning, I'm amazed there is criticism of his subs and the way he's going about things tbh. Whatever he's doing is working wonders.
Its possible to be pleased with progress yet also concerned with certain aspects. I mean we've won three games which is great. The long term success or otherwise will be what matters. I'm not sure either way how Hill will go. Be someone who builds something magical or a guy who has an over-inflated opinion of himself who ultimately rubs too many people up the wrong way.

Literally think it could be either or somewhere in the middle.

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 pm
Jugs wrote:
Its possible to be pleased with progress yet also concerned with certain aspects. I mean we've won three games which is great. The long term success or otherwise will be what matters. I'm not sure either way how Hill will go. Be someone who builds something magical or a guy who has an over-inflated opinion of himself who ultimately rubs too many people up the wrong way.

Nothing like covering all the bases :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Nov 07, 2019 9:02 am

Abdoulaye's Twin wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 7:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 06, 2019 3:24 pm
Jugs wrote:

Nothing like covering all the bases :lol:
Indeed. I have no idea how it will end up. I'll just enjoy the ride. Least we've got a ride!