Will our guile make Plymouth rock? FA Cup 1st Round 9.11.19 KO 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

DJBlu
Site Admin

Re: Will our guile make Plymouth rock? FA Cup 1st Round 9.11.19 KO 3pm

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:33 pm

Game sounds dreadful

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:51 pm

We’ve been utter shite

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 4:51 pm
We’ve been utter shite
Can't tell what's been going on as the GMR commentaru has been awful

Gravdigger
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Gravdigger » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:29 pm

6000 attendance. Can't be doing with such low crowds so maybe a blessing being knocked out. Had 10 shots with 4 on target, same as Plymouth. We still need someone to convert those shots into goals .

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:42 pm

One good chance in the game and Plymouth scored. Defensively they were very well organised and only gave us half chances. Not enough quality balls into the box.

Although a pretty dire game, I saw more action in the first two minutes than all the five games combined I watched last season. Silver linings and all that.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:48 pm

That felt like many a game under Parky. Slow, pedestrian and too many not getting the basics right. Not helped by the worst referee I think I've ever seen at the Reebok.

So no much needed money spinning tie but better we perform like this in the cup rather than the league
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 09, 2019 5:58 pm

Donny, Burton and Lincoln all drew, so we can’t organise our rearranged game against any of them in three weeks’ time on Second Round day. They’ll all have replays in 10 or 11 days’ time - and it’s possible we won’t be able to agree to play any of them 10/11 days after that even if they do go out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 pm

Dreadful. No effort. Tactically all over the place. No idea what Hill was doing and fairly sure he didn’t either.

Utterly abysmal all round.

Players looked disinterested and tired. And must have played in at least 6 different systems as Hill and co lost the plot.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 pm

Connor halls done for me
Get rid in jan

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:04 pm

Not quite as polemic as BWFC-I attests ;)

We started off well for the first 15 or so, then they scored (with a lovely finish off the underside of the bar) and it just seemed to knock the stuffing out of us.
Still, we kept carrying it forward but, however, and for almost as far back as I can remember now, we were dreadful in the final third. Dreadful, that is, with the exception of Dodoo who didn't give up on trying to create an opening, get his shot away or whip the cross in. I think it must be pretty frustrating for him when he does whip a cross in only for nobody to attack the ball. Darryl Murphy's clearly one of those 'err, I was stood here' types who I used to fecking hate playing with back int' day.
So, half-time comes and I'm thinking 'Hilly'll be giving 'em a rocket in there - they'll come out in the second half a different side'. They did - they were even worse. I lost count of the times we conceded possession when playing simple passes (by simple, I mean from here to the corner of the room simple). Hilly made three substitutions bringing on Politic (And will somebody please point out to the stadium announcer that it's pronounced Polititch?) Weir and Hall to absolutely no avail whatsoever.
We got what we deserved from the game which was nothing; Plymouth deserved winners.
Players to emerge with credit today are Dodoo, Chris O'Grady for his tireless effort and ball-winning, and Remi Matthews who ended up keeping us in it (his one-on-one was a la Jussi in his pomp).
No credit whatsoever today goes to the referee who truly does rank amongst the worst I've ever seen.
Shite turnout by us of around 6,000 - well done Plymouth for bringing not many fewer than could be arsed with the 45 minute drive from Fleetwood last week.
Looking on the bright side, at least our lads don't have to traipse down there a week o' Tuesday for the replay. ;)
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
May the bridges I burn light your way

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:10 pm
Dreadful. No effort. Tactically all over the place. No idea what Hill was doing and fairly sure he didn’t either.

Utterly abysmal all round.

Players looked disinterested and tired. And must have played in at least 6 different systems as Hill and co lost the plot.

As evidenced by Graham ending up on the left.

I'm curious to know what type of player Hill thinks Graham is because, from what I've seen of him, playing him as an advanced midfielder doesn't seem to be making the best use of his talents. I assume he's hoping that playing him there will help us press high up the pitch but it didn't work.
Last edited by nicholaldo on Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:13 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 6:36 pm
Connor halls done for me
Get rid in jan
Sadly, Dibble, I'm with you on this.
I've consigned him to the same file as Vaz Te and Rob Hall. Players who've promised much, have had all the backing and good will that we can collectively muster, but who just won't make the grade.
I hope I'm wrong about Hall C, I'd like little more, but I think we're both right.
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 09, 2019 7:23 pm

It’s a mixture of lack of ability when it counts (we all knew someone who was shit hot in training, shit in the match) and pure bad luck. He’s not going to cut it here. Might not be the end for him - look at Tom bloody eaves!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:09 pm

Well he's out with a hamstring injury so you won't have to worry about him playing again for a few weeks. Shame.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tactically all over the place. No idea what Hill was doing and fairly sure he didn’t either.
Ever think Keith might not give one feck about the FA Cup and used this fixture in as a sort of pre season friendly? Give some new ideas a go as there is nothing riding on it.

The instruction might have been to not bust a gut to prevent injuries. We'll never know.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm

Not massively arsed. Beat MK Dons next week and we're back on track.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:13 pm

Jugs wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 9:16 pm
Not massively arsed. Beat MK Dons next week and we're back on track.
Agree. With what we're chasing League -wise and what were doing it with, injuries etc, I'd think maybe the F.A.CUP is the least of our worries right now. It's hardly a Sam Allardyce UEFA Cup situation, is it?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 09, 2019 10:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sat Nov 09, 2019 8:15 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tactically all over the place. No idea what Hill was doing and fairly sure he didn’t either.
Ever think Keith might not give one feck about the FA Cup and used this fixture in as a sort of pre season friendly? Give some new ideas a go as there is nothing riding on it.

The instruction might have been to not bust a gut to prevent injuries. We'll never know.
If he was going to do that he could and would have rested some of them. The second half was one of the worst and most baffling managerial displays of incompetence I’ve seen. We ended up putting our only threat into the centre of midfield and playing the most narrow and impossible to describe system I can remember.

I don’t have a clue what he was thinking of but if he was trying to throw the game he couldn’t have done a better job.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:30 pm

I suppose, on reflection, if we were going to have an off day we would all have picked this one. Could be out of all cups before November finishes though which is something to depress.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Nov 10, 2019 1:30 pm
I suppose, on reflection, if we were going to have an off day we would all have picked this one. Could be out of all cups before November finishes though which is something to depress.
Thinking about where we almost were a couple of months ago I can only be delighted were we are now. Festina Lente... :wink:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?