The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Dons visit the University...V Milton Keynes Home. 3-0'clock 15-11-2019

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:04 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:10 am
When you say 'loan conversion', do you mean turning their loans into permanent contracts?
Either that or another window-to-window loan, which would be the same thing in their cases as their deals expire in summer; ideally permanent (as it doesn't take a loan slot) but whatever works financially and with squad limits. While under embargo, we can only loan window-to-window. I doubt Forest or Blades want them back.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm
^^ you're a right negative Nelly, Insane!

A draw was probably the fairest result but no proper chances? Robbed them? Give over! MurphyL had 2 good first half efforts, MurphyD was only denied by a brilliant fingertip save and then missed his penalty.

Agree re O'Grady though. I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far but Saturdays game passed him by.
L Murphy had a couple of long range efforts that weren't troubling any decent keeper. And yes it was a good save from D Murphy.

However, up until our penalty MK Dons had unquestionably the best two chances of the game, a one on one that was deflected onto the post and that second half open goal miss. They'd looked organised and a threat on the break. I think the last few minutes flattered us as did the score. But I'll take it. We'll have results that go the other way.
It's all subjective but the TV highlights, presumably professionally disinterested, showed more action in their goalmouth than ours.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:05 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 10:24 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:08 pm
^^ you're a right negative Nelly, Insane!

A draw was probably the fairest result but no proper chances? Robbed them? Give over! MurphyL had 2 good first half efforts, MurphyD was only denied by a brilliant fingertip save and then missed his penalty.

Agree re O'Grady though. I've been pleasantly surprised by him so far but Saturdays game passed him by.
L Murphy had a couple of long range efforts that weren't troubling any decent keeper. And yes it was a good save from D Murphy.

However, up until our penalty MK Dons had unquestionably the best two chances of the game, a one on one that was deflected onto the post and that second half open goal miss. They'd looked organised and a threat on the break. I think the last few minutes flattered us as did the score. But I'll take it. We'll have results that go the other way.
It's all subjective but the TV highlights, presumably professionally disinterested, showed more action in their goalmouth than ours.
Absolutely - they sat deep and hit on the break. But in terms of clear chances - until the penalty in the 89th minute I'd say we only fashioned Murphy's header (unless you count the efforts from outside the box).

I'm not saying they were much better - but certainly you're not looking at much for them to have won that game or taken a point. We were not by any means dominant.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:13 am
I'm not saying they were much better - but certainly you're not looking at much for them to have won that game or taken a point. We were not by any means dominant.
I must have got confused when you said "we were mostly second best... I pretty much thought we robbed them." :D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 am

Why suddenly almost guilty excuses for us winning? We've lost a shed-full of games in the past from the green being rubbed the wrong way. Were we supposed to let them win? Bolton 1m M.K Dons 0 is the only statistic that will matter or remembered. Get in.... :twisted:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:

Might be my imagination that their keeper made a few decent saves (one from a penalty that would have secured us the points), then again, that's what keepers are for isn't it? .
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am

Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
I must have got confused when you said "we were mostly second best... I pretty much thought we robbed them." :D
For a lot of the game they were organised and dangerous on the break. If I'd travelled as an MK Dons fan given the two best chances - I'd have been pretty disappointed is all I meant. It was not a case of battering them all game and finally getting our reward. They should have scored two, certainly one. And in that time their keeper made a good save from Daryl but in fairness had not much else to do.

Up until the 89th minute it felt very much like the Plymouth game - pretty flat performance.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:45 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:30 am
Why suddenly almost guilty excuses for us winning? We've lost a shed-full of games in the past from the green being rubbed the wrong way. Were we supposed to let them win? Bolton 1m M.K Dons 0 is the only statistic that will matter or remembered. Get in.... :twisted:
I don't feel guilty - my broad point is that in the last two home games our performances have somewhat tailed off. We lost to Plymouth and deservedly so and beat MK Dons in a game that in truth could as easily have gone the other way.

I'm delighted we won but our previous form where for me we looked a good side at this level has tailed off, probably down to Crawford's injury. Hopefully we keep digging out results and see where it takes us but I think winning enough games to really have a chance from here is "optimistic" with the side we've got. Its not impossible and that is a huge testament to all involved. Just probably unlikely. We'll see.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Tue Nov 19, 2019 12:16 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:42 am
Tue Nov 19, 2019 11:17 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
For a lot of the game they were organised and dangerous on the break. If I'd travelled as an MK Dons fan given the two best chances - I'd have been pretty disappointed is all I meant. It was not a case of battering them all game and finally getting our reward. They should have scored two, certainly one. And in that time their keeper made a good save from Daryl but in fairness had not much else to do.

Up until the 89th minute it felt very much like the Plymouth game - pretty flat performance.
Twisting your point around, Matthews only really had two saves to make - one right at the death after we were already ahead.

We weren't dominant by any means, but it would be fair to say that in a reasonably even game, we just about deserved the win on chances created, territory and possession. Fine margins, sure, but to insinuate that we "robbed them" or "got away with it" is doing an enormous disservice to our own side.

Quoth I to the family at half time: Half time, 0-0. Wanderers started on top, ended on top, with a ten minute spell where Dons bothered us. We've forced their keeper into 2 or 3 good stops, they've had the best chance when Matthews nudged a Joe Mason (remember him?) effort onto the post. And to be honest, the 2nd half wasn't much different.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 pm

We had Murphy, they didn't. At 36, he's still one of the best strikers in this league. We didn't have a difference maker last season, so it's nice to have one this time. In tight 0-0s, he's exactly the kind of striker you need.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm

one observation I had from the game was, that whilst it was pretty even and on balance I think they had the better chances, I've never seen a team make so many basic errors and mistakes as they did: wayward passes, lack of control, passes that ended up going out for throw-ins etc. From that perspective I thought they were shocking - I'd have been screaming at my lad's U9s team for some of the things they were doing!!
I appreciate we struggled to break them down, but at least the basics were solid from us......

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:24 pm

dave the minion wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 3:10 pm
one observation I had from the game was, that whilst it was pretty even and on balance I think they had the better chances, I've never seen a team make so many basic errors and mistakes as they did: wayward passes, lack of control, passes that ended up going out for throw-ins etc. From that perspective I thought they were shocking - I'd have been screaming at my lad's U9s team for some of the things they were doing!!
I appreciate we struggled to break them down, but at least the basics were solid from us......
The good news there is that, at the risk of repeating myself, they are a poor team. This is good news not because we "only beat them 1-0" but because in order to increase our slim chances of safety, we need poor teams to exist. They definitely do.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 am

Jugs wrote:
Tue Nov 19, 2019 1:25 pm
We had Murphy, they didn't. At 36, he's still one of the best strikers in this league. We didn't have a difference maker last season, so it's nice to have one this time. In tight 0-0s, he's exactly the kind of striker you need.
Agreed. Quite a few near me seem to moan about big Daryl. But I think he's really excellent. Keeps going, gets in scoring positions. Holds it reasonably well too though clearly back to goal is not really his game. Mobile as well. Nice to have a proper centre forward up front - we've not had one since Madine.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 am
Jugs wrote:
Agreed. Quite a few near me seem to moan about big Daryl. But I think he's really excellent. Keeps going, gets in scoring positions. Holds it reasonably well too though clearly back to goal is not really his game. Mobile as well. Nice to have a proper centre forward up front - we've not had one since Madine.
He's the most immobile feck* I've seen in years. If he was remotely mobile then he'd be looking to get onto the end of the myriad balls that Dodoo puts into the box. Gets in scoring positions? You're taking the piss.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:36 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:38 am
Jugs wrote:
He's the most immobile feck* I've seen in years. If he was remotely mobile then he'd be looking to get onto the end of the myriad balls that Dodoo puts into the box. Gets in scoring positions? You're taking the piss.
I don't agree. For a 36 year old he gets in the channels well - see his goal against Rochdale for example - and away at Bristol Rovers.

The problem when Dodoo puts the ball across is often DM is the only person in the box - I think its harsh to criticise him for that - and when he's the only one in the box unless he makes the perfect run to the perfect ball - the defence are favourites.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 11:02 am

I don't agree. For a 36 year old he gets in the channels well - see his goal against Rochdale for example - and away at Bristol Rovers.

The problem when Dodoo puts the ball across is often DM is the only person in the box - I think its harsh to criticise him for that - and when he's the only one in the box unless he makes the perfect run to the perfect ball - the defence are favourites.
I mean, don't get me wrong - with where we're at and what we can offer then I expect us to be playing an immobile veteran up top, and that's what we have. I'm not being critical of him, merely stating the facts.

If you choose to dress him up as something else then fair enough.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I mean, don't get me wrong - with where we're at and what we can offer then I expect us to be playing an immobile veteran up top, and that's what we have. I'm not being critical of him, merely stating the facts.

I don't remember the last time we had a striker who got in behind the defence to score one on ones. They were either too immobile or simply not that type - even in league one. Murphy has done that and threatened to do it a few times. He's 36 but I do think he's more mobile than I thought he would be.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:27 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

I don't remember the last time we had a striker who got in behind the defence to score one on ones. They were either too immobile or simply not that type - even in league one. Murphy has done that and threatened to do it a few times. He's 36 but I do think he's more mobile than I thought he would be.
Well, what's that lad called who's now in Australia? :conf:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm
Memory's not my strong suit but I don't recall Alf scoring many one-on-ones. I recall him missing some, like at Reading in a night match. Which is not to decry the great man. He just seemed to get most of his goals from being Johnny Onthespot in a crowded area, not Owen-versus-Argentina breaking the back line.

I would be genuinely interested to see evidence either way, like, if anyone's got time to go through the BW YouTube channel...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:07 pm

Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:01 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Nov 20, 2019 12:57 pm
Memory's not my strong suit but I don't recall Alf scoring many one-on-ones. I recall him missing some, like at Reading in a night match. Which is not to decry the great man. He just seemed to get most of his goals from being Johnny Onthespot in a crowded area, not Owen-versus-Argentina breaking the back line.

I would be genuinely interested to see evidence either way, like, if anyone's got time to go through the BW YouTube channel...
I've seen Murphy score one, as well as take one of the poorest penalties I've ever seen.

That aside, going back to BWFCI's initial point of mobility, take a look at Alf's mobility, then look how stagnant Murphy is ;)
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Wed Nov 20, 2019 1:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.