Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 pm

Narr there’s a difference between reading and Accrington Stanley

But no over reaction - one defeat was coming, shorelines a shocker. See what the reaction is

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:36 pm
Narr there’s a difference between reading and Accrington Stanley
Aye - we've beaten Reading! :D

I can understand the upset, mind. I get it. We used to trade blows with Blackburn, occasionally land a punch on United, laugh at Wigan and reminisce about Tranmere. Now they're all above us - all bar Tranmere literally out of our league - and we've now been beaten at home by Rochdale and had a proper arse-plating by Accrington. It's far from cool and groovy.

But y'know what, I don't care too much if we win more than we lose, and for now I'm confident we will.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:43 pm

DSB your last post is obviously aimed at me but I wont rise to your sarcasm, and I'm not having a thromby or need cold water on my face but I really don't understand how you can compare losing 7-1 to Reading to losing 7-1 to Accrington, who have a team full of non league journeymen who wanted it much more than our mainly ex championship players.

I may have over reacted or perhaps I haven't, we are all different & we all respond differently - however I really can't understand any BWFC fan who doesn't feel hurt, annoyed & really embarrassed tonight after losing 7-1 to Accrington Stanley however restrained or calm they may be. It really is one of the most embarrassing results in our history.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:52 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:43 pm
DSB your last post is obviously aimed at me but I wont rise to your sarcasm, and I'm not having a thromby or need cold water on my face but I really don't understand how you can compare losing 7-1 to Reading to losing 7-1 to Accrington, who have a team full of non league journeymen who wanted it much more than our mainly ex championship players.

I may have over reacted or perhaps I haven't, we are all different & we all respond differently - however I really can't understand any BWFC fan who doesn't feel hurt, annoyed & really embarrassed tonight after losing 7-1 to Accrington Stanley however restrained or calm they may be. It really is one of the most embarrassing results in our history.
Did I say it wasn't? Doesn't surprise me that you "really can't understand", Bertie, as you're obviously a passionate person and at the moment you can't see for blind fury. As you say, we're all different, and I can take this result without suggesting that the manager should "f**k off and take the spineless, gutless players with you - you don't deserve to wear the shirt or represent BWFC."

We're in a much bigger game than today's result. Staying up would be, IMO, among the biggest achievements in our history. Plenty this week said it was possible, and I didn't hear any such certainty from the anti-Hill mob.

Let's see if you still think on, say, Wednesday that the manager and every single member of the first team should be sacked and released. If so, then fair enough, in a way.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:52 pm

We should all be on here talking about a shithouse of a referee ruining it with a none sending off btw, but manager and players have cost us that debate. Shambolic.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:06 pm

That ref shouldn't have a game next weekend. His decision was absolutely nuts.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:07 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 6:52 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

Did I say it wasn't? Doesn't surprise me that you "really can't understand", Bertie, as you're obviously a passionate person and at the moment you can't see for blind fury. As you say, we're all different, and I can take this result without suggesting that the manager should "f**k off and take the spineless, gutless players with you - you don't deserve to wear the shirt or represent BWFC."

We're in a much bigger game than today's result. Staying up would be, IMO, among the biggest achievements in our history. Plenty this week said it was possible, and I didn't hear any such certainty from the anti-Hill mob.

Let's see if you still think on, say, Wednesday that the manager and every single member of the first team should be sacked and released. If so, then fair enough, in a way.
a 3 -1 or 4-1 defeat I probably wouldn't have posted, because down to 10 men that's possibly acceptable (even at Accrington) - 7-1 says to me that the players just gave in & didn't give a toss about the fans, the town & the club (and I expected more from a so called Keith Hill team, who 'apparently' cares so much about the town & the club) - this is what really irks me more than anything, of course I'm aware that the overall survival game is much bigger than today's result but unfortunately I'm one of those idiots who wears his heart on his sleeve & can't rein it in, and when we have just been embarrassingly shafted 7-1 by Accrington Stanley I spit my dummy out & get annoyed - but I probably will never change I'm a very passionate BWFC fan and todays result has really pissed me off and has undone everything Hill has done over the past 2 months.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:16 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:

Clearly there will be hyperbole and overreaction after what was the worst result I can remember. Certainly in terms of score line and relative opposition.

And yes we can’t change the team or manager. But let’s hope both seriously buck their ideas up. Because today was unacceptable on many many levels.

However Tuesday is a bit irrelevant. A trip to Wembley aside it will no doubt be a vastly changed Stanley.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:23 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:

a 3 -1 or 4-1 defeat I probably wouldn't have posted, because down to 10 men that's possibly acceptable (even at Accrington) - 7-1 says to me that the players just gave in & didn't give a toss about the fans, the town & the club (and I expected more from a so called Keith Hill team, who 'apparently' cares so much about the town & the club) - this is what really irks me more than anything, of course I'm aware that the overall survival game is much bigger than today's result but unfortunately I'm one of those idiots who wears his heart on his sleeve & can't rein it in, and when we have just been embarrassingly shafted 7-1 by Accrington Stanley I spit my dummy out & get annoyed - but I probably will never change I'm a very passionate BWFC fan and todays result has really pissed me off and has undone everything Hill has done over the past 2 months.
It's 'undone everything'?? That's hyperbolic bullshit, and you know it. Go and take a cold shower and grow the f*ck up.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:24 pm

It’s good they are playing there again on Tuesday. Same team, make them feel shame and humble playing against accy stiffs.

I note Iles said some of them headed back to the team bus pre match as the facilities aren’t up to much. Alarm bells were ringing for me right there.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:34 pm

Do we ever put a performance in when we have a big away following?

I think Hill will regret the decision to push Bridcutt back rather than bring a proper centre-back on. Not that it was ever likely to affect the result. And being stood down at the far end of the stand, practically level with our defensive line, it did seem that the linesmen was almost constantly behind the play, resulting in at least one of their goals being scored from an offside position. Again though, it was immaterial.

This is nothing new to anyone who's been on a big away day before, but in terms of away support, we most have one of the biggest bellend-to-decent people ratios of all the clubs in the country.

A day to forget, but I'll still be there Tuesday after next.
Last edited by nicholaldo on Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:35 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:07 pm
Long may the team ignite your passion. It's why we're all here - because we're not all there.

Personally, I think Hill made a very wrong call at 1-1 - maybe even at 1-0, before the penalty went in. As irksome as it is to have to sacrifice a forward it's sky-pie idiocy to carry on with one centre-back: Bridcutt doesn't count, as we soon discovered. Notably, things didn't improve when Zouma came on either.

But then we're a side lashed together from kids and cast-offs, and this sort of result happens now and again to that sort of team. What matters is what happens next. After Rotherham we only conceded four in six league games. Then D-Murph started scoring - still is - and we started winning. So it goes. I'd rather win three then lose 7-1 once a month, to Accy f*cking Reserves if it comes to it, than lose every one 1-0 or 2-0 as has happened all too often recently.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Nov 23, 2019 7:16 pm
Tuesday is a bit irrelevant. A trip to Wembley aside it will no doubt be a vastly changed Stanley.
I was thinking more about PT's blood pressure than BWFC's next game. But now you mention it, the most relevant thing about Tuesday is how we react. Funny things happen in football. I remember seeing Palace lose 9-0 at Anfield then beat Liverpool in the FA Cup semis, and while our reward wouldn't be as great, a win might put springs back in steps.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:08 pm

Well that was a very difficult day. I said on the way there that I was worried we'd lose today because after the euphoria earlier in the week with the independent panel result and a large following it would be typical Bolton to feck up. I couldn't have foreseen that though.

We take an early lead but had two quick escapes due to their poor finishing. Then the ludicrous decision to send Earle off after the appalling referee allowed himself to be swayed by protesting Accy players.

Our response afterwards was shambolic. At 1-2 I knew the game was lost but too many players were having an off day and as a side we looked incapable of dealing with a long ball, hard working side. We had the personnel there to shut up shop and keep it tight but failed miserably.

That said. It's one game. A humiliation for sure. Not because it's Accrington. Because it's 7 against a side in the same division. I hope and expect to see a positive reaction. Jason Lowe, who has been superb this season, will surely never play as badly. The same could be said of our full backs. The original Liam Bridcutt will hopefully be back soon too and we'll never have an official as bad as that ever again.

I'm hoping the beers I bought on the way home will make me forget today very quickly.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:46 pm

Things happen in life that don't get explained.No game plan can live without the players and players are about commitment and attitude. It's more important what today does in future than right now. One thing it needs to do is annoy the players into a retaliation. A bit of passion and effort and we can soon get back on track. Losing 5-0 to Stoke seemed, at the time, like the end of the world. We beat them 5-0 in reply. It's really hard to understand how decent players can be so dominated by less than Bayern Munich level footballers. That sending off must really have had some psychological effect. No other explanation. I hope Keith Hill feels the same.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 8:52 pm

Hill collects his thoughts rather than his belongings.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -reaction/

“I’ve still got to collect my thoughts properly but we weren’t at the races,” he said. “It’s a difficult one to explain. Hopefully it is not too damaging and we have recovered from something like that before.

“I will try my best to put it into isolation. I think it’s raw, I am disappointed, I am angry but I am trying my best not to over-react and look at the situation we are in.

“Our fate certainly hasn’t been decided today but we have been embarrassed by a team that worked exceptionally hard and were very honest.

The performance without the ball upset me most,” he said. “We have been very good, very competitive in duels, good defensively whether it was the striker or the defenders. Today we didn’t seem to have a defensive soul. I didn’t see that coming and that’s the biggest shock.

“There were too many crosses coming into the area and we weren’t dealing with the ones that were, it was a bit of both. You have to defend better. I don’t think we underestimated them and I have been here before and I know the challenges Accrington put against you. We didn’t match the physical challenge at all.

“As a consequence, we couldn’t play, we had no rhythm. And that isn’t just the defenders.

“You are looking for more soul from your team, more purpose, more determination.

“These players have got character and I won’t throw them under the bus. To get to where they have got it a short-term minor miracle and we have to remember that.

“That performance and scoreline should be a reminder to the players of how hard they have worked and how hard they have to work to keep this going.”

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:28 pm

On reflection it's probably also a good thing Hill now won't be up for the EFL's Manager of the Month award, as he might have accidentally smashed them over the head with it

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:25 pm

One of the worst results in our history (though barely the worst of the last two months) and yet the worst performance didn't come from a Bolton player.

That red card is I think the worst refereeing decision I've ever seen. I can see why he's given a penalty but I can't even start to work out the flow chart thought process that gets to a red card.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:40 pm

That sending off was a joke. Never was that a red card.

https://www.skysports.com/football/accr ... ton/410117
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Sat Nov 23, 2019 10:44 pm

Looking at it again their player dived flailing his arms in the air. I thought refs had been trained a few years ago to spot someone who had been fouled (arms go down to the floor for impact) and those that dived (arms up in unnatural movement). Two very bad mistakes.
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 23, 2019 11:01 pm

If there’s anything good that can come out of this it is that the seemingly growing collection of knob head fans we have, the vast majority aren’t old enough to remember pre allardyce (and certainly pre Rioch) might get a grasp of where we are at. Not the kind of fan we have on here (or other forums), but the idiot on twitter who has us to win every game now we have a team, or who responds to Andy Holt with abuse without actually thinking about the point he is making. By all accounts our band of dickheads have excelled themselves today with pitch invasions and bottle throwing, all cos we didn’t have it our own way. Well newsflash lads, if we stay up it’s a miracle and we’re here for the long haul.