Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 am

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 10:26 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 6:33 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 8:53 am
bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Sun Nov 24, 2019 12:08 am
The biggest problem imho is playing Bridcutt, Lowe and Murphy. I am not sure the three of them are more productive than Lowe and Murphy being in there, the balance is all wrong, they are all too similar. We were effectively down to nine men today.
Agree although it worked against MK. The difference yesterday was the pressing by Accrington. Forced the wayward passing by the 3 mentioned.
Did work against MK? Thought our midfield was one paced and pedestrian. They are too similar. And Luke Murphy doesn’t do enough. Lowe is being asked to run around to little effect. Not sure we have other options but for me whole system needs a review. Might as well go 4-4-2 for me If we are playing COG on the left. Two big lads up top get it forwards feed off the scraps.
This is a wind up surely. What is it you see that others do not? I can't believe you are making me say this but here goes, Luke Murphy was the best player on the pitch by far against MK, to say he doesn't do enough is an insult to his form of late.

And did it work? Clearly not as we won 1-0.
A couple of posts up someone seems to be agreeing with me. :mrgreen:

But yes Murphy had a better game against MK Dons but I meant generally. He's an in and out type for me. Good little bits but for me not involved enough in games. You can have 15 minute periods go by where you forget he's playing. That's not good for a central midfield player.

But regardless you have 3 midfield players who are all much of a muchness. Without Crawford I don't see the system working nearly as well.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 am
Without Crawford I don't see the system working nearly as well.
Which is why you need different ways to win. Scorelines aside, one of the worst things I read is that we don't look threatening on set-pieces. Considering the manager's love of being out "on the grass" you'd think we'd spend some time on one of the main methods of improvement - especially as our closest thing to a No.10 is irrevocably out for most of the rest of the season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:04 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:57 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:48 am
Without Crawford I don't see the system working nearly as well.
Which is why you need different ways to win. Scorelines aside, one of the worst things I read is that we don't look threatening on set-pieces. Considering the manager's love of being out "on the grass" you'd think we'd spend some time on one of the main methods of improvement - especially as our closest thing to a No.10 is irrevocably out for most of the rest of the season.
Yeah - the set pieces have also in fairness taken a hit without Crawford who had good delivery.

BUT we take short corners without a plan - that's always a huge red flag to me. Surely in training you practice short corners to know what you're going to do. We take them then it seems like a surprise and usually the opposition will end up on the counter.

My frustration recently has been that COG on the left worked great when you had Crawford in the middle because he dragged players out and AC benefitted from extra space and an extra option to hold it to bring the midfield into the game. But now with a more pedestrian midfield you're sacrifcing an attacking option for essentially a target yet we rarely try to hit him...he'll beat most full backs in the air.

But in general we've lost a ball carrier and creative player and haven't got a replacement. It needs a re-think. As I see it you either have to try Verlinden in there (I don't think Politic is good enough yet) which is risky but he might unsettle teams running through the middle at them OR you go 4-4-2 and go a bit more direct. Neither might work but what we're playing currently is very unbalanced and leaves Chicksen exposed at times at LB. Finding a creative midfield player must be priority in January. Someone busy like Crawford who picks he ball up deep and moves - he showed that you don't need to be the best player in the world to make that role work in this side especially.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am

Yeah, it's interesting - a creative midfielder in a Parky side had to be very good because he was often on his own, but at least in Hill's side there's runners and options.

If Verlinden leaves Chicksen unprotected in a 4-3-3, then he may do so even more in a 4-4-2 as there isn't the extra body in central midfield. Yes, he starts 10 yards further back, but that doesn't matter for long - if baby don't track, baby don't track. And speaking of central midfield, does being one of two suit Bridcutt more or less than being one of three?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:12 am

Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am
Yeah, it's interesting - a creative midfielder in a Parky side had to be very good because he was often on his own, but at least in Hill's side there's runners and options.

If Verlinden leaves Chicksen unprotected in a 4-3-3, then he may do so even more in a 4-4-2 as there isn't the extra body in central midfield. Yes, he starts 10 yards further back, but that doesn't matter for long - if baby don't track, baby don't track. And speaking of central midfield, does being one of two suit Bridcutt more or less than being one of three?
Yeah it depends who plays on the left - but as it stands Verlinden isn't great at tracking back and when O'Grady plays there he doesn't have he engine or stamina to do an up and down job on the flank.

I'm not a huge fan or advocate of 4-4-2 but if we're playing O'Grady on a wing I'd suggest we may as well try him up top with Murphy. I accept it puts extra defensive emphasis on Dodoo/Verlinden which is not ideal - but I'd argue you go a little longer and pick up the second balls. It might get overrun - probably would - but equally I don't think current system works with what we've got available.

Its going to need careful nurdling through till January.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:34 am

Worth pointing out we were 1-0 up with that shape and personnel. Then get the red card, management get the rejig wrong, concede a couple of quick goals and then crumble. Football is a funny game and no guarantees we lose that if e.g. Earl gets the ball or even doesn't get sent off.

I've criticised Hill for being OTT with his post match comments so was pleased to see he was more measured here. Obviously nowhere near good enough but we shouldn't overreact.

On the creativity front, isn't Darcy supposed to be a 10-type player? I'd have a look at him with two of Bridcutt and Murphy in the cup.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Sat Nov 23, 2019 9:28 pm
On reflection it's probably also a good thing Hill now won't be up for the EFL's Manager of the Month award, as he might have accidentally smashed them over the head with it
I do hope that Mr Hill's not attempting to absolve himself here? He had as poor a day at the office as anyone else.

We lose a centre back and it took him what? 25 minutes to put another one on? Very poor, Keith.

As Harry G mentioned, even Lowe had a stinker. Goals two and three came about as I direct result of him passing the ball to them, though I also claim that Verlinden was culpable for the second as he should have come short.

I pretty much gave up after three, as did the players.

I'm usually quite vocal about folk who leave before the end, and that anyone who missed the closing moments of the MKD game got their just rewards, but me, BP, Genshaw and Mrs Genshaw all looked at each other on 80 minutes and declared we'd had enough.

To make matters worse, Mrs G's not my pal anymore after me suggesting that Rick Witter can't sing a fecking note!

One bright spot, however. We were there when BP got a round in ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:48 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm

I'm usually quite vocal about folk who leave before the end, and that anyone who missed the closing moments of the MKD game got their just rewards, but me, BP, Genshaw and Mrs Genshaw all looked at each other on 80 minutes and declared we'd had enough.

To make matters worse, Mrs G's not my pal anymore after me suggesting that Rick Witter can't sing a fecking note!

Yeah, he didn't buy us one, the tight git :D And I didn't see you either Bruce, sorry:( You were also just coming out the same time we were, we didn't see the 7th goal!!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:02 pm

Shed Seven - I see what you did there! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 8:46 pm

Couldn't get near shadows never mind rainbows.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Nov 25, 2019 9:45 pm

twilight wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:48 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 6:48 pm

Yeah, he didn't buy us one, the tight git :D And I didn't see you either Bruce, sorry:( You were also just coming out the same time we were, we didn't see the 7th goal!!
He was standing right next to me, whilst I was chatting to you in the fanzone!

Any road, that game is filed under the long list of games that never happened. However, I did get that round in! Happy hour is happy hour, after all. 😎

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Tue Nov 26, 2019 1:37 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:12 am
Mon Nov 25, 2019 11:04 am

Yeah it depends who plays on the left - but as it stands Verlinden isn't great at tracking back and when O'Grady plays there he doesn't have he engine or stamina to do an up and down job on the flank.

I'm not a huge fan or advocate of 4-4-2 but if we're playing O'Grady on a wing I'd suggest we may as well try him up top with Murphy. I accept it puts extra defensive emphasis on Dodoo/Verlinden which is not ideal - but I'd argue you go a little longer and pick up the second balls. It might get overrun - probably would - but equally I don't think current system works with what we've got available.

Its going to need careful nurdling through till January.
I think the Fleetwood game is the best of example of how we cope without Crawford.

Play O'Grady in the middle, and dependent on the opponents have him either as a withdrawn striker, an attacking midfielder, or right up with Murphy. Play two of Lowe, Murphy and Bridcutt. Personally I would go Lowe and Murphy, but Hill seems to really like Bridcutt.

Play Verlinden and Dodoo in the wide positions, with Politic coming on for Verlinden who doesn't seem able to get up and down for 90mins.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:26 am

Looks like we won’t get chance to right the wrong next up then. These fixtures need programming in soon! Lincoln should be this Saturday really, but coppers have pulled the plug on it the soft arses.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:03 pm

How on earth has that red card not been rescinded? The bent bastards!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Nov 27, 2019 3:04 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 2:03 pm
How on earth has that red card not been rescinded? The bent bastards!
That would mean the ref owning up and admitting he got it wrong Dibs. No chance of that.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:35 pm

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Wed Nov 27, 2019 11:47 pm

Pathetic.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Nov 28, 2019 10:05 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Nov 27, 2019 8:35 pm
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -red-card/

EFL
FA
Bent bastards!
Absolute shite. The ref had absolutely no intention of sending Earl off until he was harangued by three Accrington players.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:08 pm

8-1

Poor goal kick from Matthews leads to a break, they score again.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Wham, bam, thank you, Stan - Accrington S (A), 3pm, 23 November & 10 Dec

Post by Bertie Wooster » Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:28 pm

Hill is playing Adam Senior as a holding midfielder & Lowe at LB