Wombling 3. AFC Wimbledon (H) 7.12.19 KO 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Wombling 3. AFC Wimbledon (H) 7.12.19 KO 3pm

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:38 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Absolutely 2 points dropped, but we’ve got to bin off some of these squad players we are carrying to give Keith half a chance. Buckley, Hobbs, Weir, anyone under 23 registered in haste at the start of the season and not in the squad now...

I'm unsure what the criteria is for registered players or exactly how many we're limited to, but I'm hoping that if some of the youngsters who did their bit early doors do count, we have the option to de-register them.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:47 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:42 pm
A draw was a fair result imo.
Yep, absolutely. I was actually thinking that at 1-1
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 07, 2019 7:21 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 6:38 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 5:43 pm
Absolutely 2 points dropped, but we’ve got to bin off some of these squad players we are carrying to give Keith half a chance. Buckley, Hobbs, Weir, anyone under 23 registered in haste at the start of the season and not in the squad now...

I'm unsure what the criteria is for registered players or exactly how many we're limited to, but I'm hoping that if some of the youngsters who did their bit early doors do count, we have the option to de-register them.
limit of 23 players apparently. Might we have to loan kids out to get them off the list? How many actually are there?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:09 pm

Seen goals now, defending abysmal for both theirs. How does a midfielder giving it away in their half result in a 1 on 1?? And two bites at that second in our box. Wonder if the ping pong table has been dusted off??

I thought Weir had a contract till Jan not the end of season? We may have to make some tough decisions with the kids...Edwards for example if back fit could be out the door?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:09 pm
I thought Weir had a contract till Jan not the end of season?
Nope, the five who are freely expendable in January are the four loanees plus Buckley who was given a six-month contract.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm

Gareth Farrelly on radio Manchester summed it up. A point gained but also two lost. Our performance was pretty awful and masked by a late equaliser we barely deserved.

It is what it is. We are a scratch team. But this squad with the injuries won’t get very far.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm
Gareth Farrelly on radio Manchester summed it up. A point gained but also two lost. Our performance was pretty awful and masked by a late equaliser we barely deserved.

It is what it is. We are a scratch team. But this squad with the injuries won’t get very far.
What exactly are you expecting? Four places off the bottom will do at season end. (It'll be a miracle to be honest) To expect more after our adventures is pushing the boat too far out surely?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Dec 07, 2019 10:14 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 9:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Dec 07, 2019 8:51 pm

What exactly are you expecting? Four places off the bottom will do at season end. (It'll be a miracle to be honest) To expect more after our adventures is pushing the boat too far out surely?

I expect us to finish bottom. That’s my point. We are a scratch side with a small squad and it shows. If everyone is fit we have a very small chance. But we are missing too many and what we’ve got to put out isn’t very good. Like I say it is what it is.

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Sun Dec 08, 2019 10:15 am

If we're going down, at least we're going down with a bit of a fight. Second time we've scored at home in the very last minute, it's a great feeling at the time. Just a shame we couldn't manage to put away Wimbledon at home, but ah well. As others have said, this is where we are at the moment.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm

Although Graham's losing the ball led to their first goal, it was a bit of a convenient blame area for poor positional defending. The Womble left back did well in clearing in the first place from our attack, but the rest was soft work. There was just nobody covering our box area and it was all too easy for their guy to race in and score. Poor for more than just Gaham for me. One on a plate for them.

Their second was just ball watching and nobody reacting. We really need to tighten up on reaction timing.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:40 am

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sun Dec 08, 2019 2:12 pm
Although Graham's losing the ball led to their first goal, it was a bit of a convenient blame area for poor positional defending. The Womble left back did well in clearing in the first place from our attack, but the rest was soft work. There was just nobody covering our box area and it was all too easy for their guy to race in and score. Poor for more than just Gaham for me. One on a plate for them.

Their second was just ball watching and nobody reacting. We really need to tighten up on reaction timing.
Yep - said at the time and vindicated on replay - their first could/should have been stopped even after the young lad gave the ball away. Jake Wright (who has been excellent all round) was there but seemed to be reluctant to get a blocking tackle in - perhaps worried of a red card?

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 8:40 am
TANGODANCER wrote:

Yep - said at the time and vindicated on replay - their first could/should have been stopped even after the young lad gave the ball away. Jake Wright (who has been excellent all round) was there but seemed to be reluctant to get a blocking tackle in - perhaps worried of a red card?
Given his starting position he should have been first to the ball.
May the bridges I burn light your way

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:46 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

This, was given a 10 yard head start.

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

He'd just been booked, so naturally couldn't even take a tactical one there. Yes, it's poor that he couldn't beat their man to the ball given the 10 yard start, but it's not as if we thought Wright was an Olympic sprinter before this, right? Their guy was just quicker than him. And they were hitting us on the counter at that point, so most of our players were only just exiting their box.

I'm not sure the 1st could have been stopped after Graham turned into trouble

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:02 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 3:49 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 9:47 am
Bruce Rioja wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
TANGODANCER wrote:

He'd just been booked, so naturally couldn't even take a tactical one there. Yes, it's poor that he couldn't beat their man to the ball given the 10 yard start, but it's not as if we thought Wright was an Olympic sprinter before this, right? Their guy was just quicker than him. And they were hitting us on the counter at that point, so most of our players were only just exiting their box.

I'm not sure the 1st could have been stopped after Graham turned into trouble
He was worried about the card for sure - BUT he should have got there first and secondly he was in position to throw his body across the shot and didn't. Certainly could have done more.

bristol_Wanderer3
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by bristol_Wanderer3 » Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 pm

My two penneth:

- Fair result. They can justifiably feel aggrieved that there was 4min of injury time, and that we scored in the fifth minute of injury time.
- Much pride about Mr Darcy's performance. Good touch and awareness as well as techinical ability. Can see why higher level clubs might be watching him.
- Graham's mistake for their first goal is what you get with very young and inexperienced players. We really need Murphy back in there, and if/when that happens we will be a decent side again.
- Murphy is an excellent striker, probably the best since SKD, and up there with the best in this league. He played the target man role in the 2nd half really well even though imho he is better with his feet than his head.
- Disappointed for Bridcutt, but I don't think it is a bad thing he isn't available for selection. Lowe does the DM job better at this level imho. We need another midfielder in Jan.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 09, 2019 6:21 pm

bristol_Wanderer3 wrote:
Mon Dec 09, 2019 4:28 pm
- Murphy is an excellent striker, probably the best since SKD, and up there with the best in this league. He played the target man role in the 2nd half really well even though imho he is better with his feet than his head.
And now he’s going to get a raft of new coke-themed songs in a Jamie Vardy styleee

Jugs
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Jugs » Tue Dec 10, 2019 12:23 pm

If we can keep things tight at the back, Murphy can help us to a couple more 1-0's this season for sure.