The North and South of it......V Southend at home. 3-0'clock Sat, 21-12-2019.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The North and South of it......V Southend at home. 3-0'clock Sat, 21-12-2019.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 22, 2019 8:44 am

We got away with it rather than deserved it. Have to agree that our defending is abysmal. Lack of organisation. Bridcutt at CB is a nonsense. If Hill picks him there again then he’s completely lost it.
Last edited by BWFC_Insane on Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

jonnybwfc
Promising
Promising

Re: The North and South of it......V Southend at home. 3-0'clock Sat, 21-12-2019.

Post by jonnybwfc » Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:46 am

Bridcutt at CB is a case of risk vs reward.

The risk is his height, set piece defending, the free kicks he gave away, and that many of the team are covering for him anticipating he'll be beaten in the air, which of course - he is. There's a nervousness amongst the team and the stands whenever there's a ball in the air heading his way.

The reward is with time on the ball, he can find a man. Leading up to the first goal, he found Dodoo with two great long passes, one of which created a chance. Also found Verlinden several times in the 2nd half.

I understand Hill's thinking that at home to Southend, where we should dominate possession, the reward will outweigh the risk. And we won, so I guess it did. But we won't play a team as dumb as Southend again. So I'd be worried if Bridcutt played at CB again.

Between the 60th and 80th minute, we must have conceeded 15 free kicks and corners. They had fewer than 3 decent deliveries from those, one of which was a goal. Any other team would have made us pay.

We got away with it this weekend, but can't see it working against a smarter/better team.

Obvious move is to line up with Lowe and Bridcutt in midfield, and replace L Murphy with a/ny fit centre back.
Djorkaeff ... Djorkaeff must score ... he does ... HE DOES !!!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:05 am

The basics in defence were missing. The fear when pressed was unreal. Panicking with the ball. Almost like a hot potato at times.

Bridcutt is a confident player who needs to be in the heart of the team so it pumps through the side rather than at the arse end. Like trying to insert confidence through the rectum.

Earl needs to practise attacking the ball with his head when defending.

Verlinden appears restricted to the left side as too is Dodoo. The change in the game when they swapped wings was like flicking a switch.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:10 am

For me there is just no organisation or leadership at the back, its shocking schoolboy defending - watch both goals yesterday & from previous recent games, no one takes ownership & attacks the ball, why play the wide men on the wrong side at the start ?

Set piece defending should be coached during the week, and they should have clear instructions - but this team don't look like they have trained together for a month or so. Bridcutt is our best midfielder & should be played in midfield, its an absolute piss take Hill playing him as a CB. When he 1st arrived Hill said that his football philosophy was to play attacking football, playing on the front foot, giving the fans something to get excited about, he's now reverted to being Phil Parkinson thinking about nullifying the opposition - the 1st 30 mins yesterday were absolutely abysmal, and this was at home against the worst team in the league - we certainly didn't start on the front foot yesterday, and attack them. Hill should concentrate on coaching & organising the team instead of coming out with his 'embrace this, embrace that', poetic, philosophical Cantona' esq bollocks - now its that the fans expectations are too high, and that the fans think that we should automatically expect to beat Southend at home when we really shouldn't because of their 'player roster'.

If he can't handle the pressure of managing Bolton (apologies for thinking that we should be able to beat Southend comfortably at home Keith), he should go & manage Chorley or Morecambe.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 22, 2019 12:01 pm

jonnybwfc wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 9:46 am
Bridcutt at CB is a case of risk vs reward.

The risk is his height, set piece defending, the free kicks he gave away, and that many of the team are covering for him anticipating he'll be beaten in the air, which of course - he is. There's a nervousness amongst the team and the stands whenever there's a ball in the air heading his way.

The reward is with time on the ball, he can find a man. Leading up to the first goal, he found Dodoo with two great long passes, one of which created a chance. Also found Verlinden several times in the 2nd half.

I understand Hill's thinking that at home to Southend, where we should dominate possession, the reward will outweigh the risk. And we won, so I guess it did. But we won't play a team as dumb as Southend again. So I'd be worried if Bridcutt played at CB again.

Between the 60th and 80th minute, we must have conceeded 15 free kicks and corners. They had fewer than 3 decent deliveries from those, one of which was a goal. Any other team would have made us pay.

We got away with it this weekend, but can't see it working against a smarter/better team.

Obvious move is to line up with Lowe and Bridcutt in midfield, and replace L Murphy with a/ny fit centre back.
Putting a midfield player in at centre back cos he can pass it is as amateurish as it gets. It did not work. At all. Bridcutt is great as a holding midfield player. He needs to be there.

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 6:24 pm
Little Green Man wrote:
Sat Dec 21, 2019 5:23 pm
A festive win! :pissed: Merry Christmas, ev3-1.
Best festive wishes L.G.M, lovely to hear from you again. :oyea:
Since there seems no thread in General Banter I'll wish a Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to one and all. If Merry Christmas offends you (it doesn't offend my Jewish friends) then Season's Greetings.
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Dec 22, 2019 2:45 pm

Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 22, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm quite surprised to see, on here, that Remi Matthews appears to have escaped criticism in relation to Southend's second goal. Let's say that I was disappointed with his (lack of) effort, and leave it at that.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:20 pm

Lots of slating of Hill on here that he started with the wrong set-up. Fair enough. No recognition, however, that he isn't some stubborn prick who might ignore that, that he changed it, and won the game.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:00 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Dec 22, 2019 10:20 pm
Lots of slating of Hill on here that he started with the wrong set-up. Fair enough. No recognition, however, that he isn't some stubborn prick who might ignore that, that he changed it, and won the game.
The big issue for me was playing our best midfield player at centre back and the confusion that caused. I think a lot of other criticism is a bit harsh in the circumstances we have. But there is absolutely no valid reason for Bridcutt playing centre half.

I also think it’s fair to point out that our recent performances have been a lot worse than we saw initially even with a half fit group. Perhaps the players over performed initially?

Also on Remi I agree in that I thought the second goal was soft from his point of view. Also what is with his kicking?

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Dec 22, 2019 11:12 pm

Remi's decision making has always been a bit erratic for me and his kicking yesterday was poor.

On Bridcutt - before his injury against Blackpool I was so impressed with him. He made the whole team tick. Since he's come back, his passing and decision making have been nowhere near the same high standards that he set.

Hopefully Remi will get better with age and Bridcutt will be as impressive when he's fully match fit again.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:10 am

Hill gets a lot wrong, but I like the way he's looking for answers. He knows our away form is more of a problem than our home form, and treats those beasts differently. On Saturday he picked the sort of gobsmackingly attacking starting XI - two strikers, two wingers, a midfielder in defence - that would have had his predecessor waking up bolt upright in a cold sweat.

January is big, summer is bigger, next season is the one to judge him on. But put it this way, I've written a lot more away trips on the calendar this season than last. And, since I'm comparing, quite possibly more than when we were last in this division. I don't expect us to win but I do expect us to have a go and for it to be interesting.

Hill's never going to get everything right - no manager is, except perhaps the ones at the very top of the game. And the nature of the internet, to which Bruce alludes, is that the people loudly discussing shortcomings will outshout those quietly glad for the improvements.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 11:10 am
Hill gets a lot wrong, but I like the way he's looking for answers. He knows our away form is more of a problem than our home form, and treats those beasts differently. On Saturday he picked the sort of gobsmackingly attacking starting XI - two strikers, two wingers, a midfielder in defence - that would have had his predecessor waking up bolt upright in a cold sweat.

January is big, summer is bigger, next season is the one to judge him on. But put it this way, I've written a lot more away trips on the calendar this season than last. And, since I'm comparing, quite possibly more than when we were last in this division. I don't expect us to win but I do expect us to have a go and for it to be interesting.

Hill's never going to get everything right - no manager is, except perhaps the ones at the very top of the game. And the nature of the internet, to which Bruce alludes, is that the people loudly discussing shortcomings will outshout those quietly glad for the improvements.
I’m not seeing super attacking football if I’m honest. Against Southend, yes Southend we didn’t touch the ball in their box for the first twenty minutes. They scored in that time and had approximately 10 other touches in our box.

The result was good, but there is a fair chance results don’t matter really now. I certainly don’t expect us to blow teams away but Southend outplayed us completely for a good 20 minutes and they are hapless.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Dec 26, 2019 1:52 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Dec 23, 2019 2:17 pm

I’m not seeing super attacking football if I’m honest. Against Southend, yes Southend we didn’t touch the ball in their box for the first twenty minutes. They scored in that time and had approximately 10 other touches in our box.The result was good, but there is a fair chance results don’t matter really now. I certainly don’t expect us to blow teams away but Southend outplayed us completely for a good 20 minutes and they are hapless.
That's the spirit Insaney...Never say die hey? COME ON YOU WHITES!
... :oyea: :oyea: :oyea:

:lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?