Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:22 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:21 pm
Worth a mention that Chris Eagles has left Oldham today. Iles has retweeted the story. Anyone reckon he could be lined up for a return?
Please no.
I didn’t even realise he was still playing.
Eagles is a weird one. He's 34 now but he was only 28 when he left us and he's basically never settled since. Also dragged his feet about singing contracts and seemed happy to be a free agent. Odd stuff. I don't imagine he's The Answer.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 pm
We really need to end this unhealthy obsession some of our fans seem to have (on social media etc) with returns for former players. Especially ones as poor as Eagles is nowadays.
McGinlay for manager!
Absolutely not what we need and I'd be shocked if we gave him any thought at all.

LOV Suite posted an article on Twitter also linking us to Madine. I have doubts we could make that one work financially, but would definitely welcome it.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:47 pm

Mon Jan 06, 2020 3:39 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:24 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:22 pm
jimbo wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:21 pm
Worth a mention that Chris Eagles has left Oldham today. Iles has retweeted the story. Anyone reckon he could be lined up for a return?
Please no.
I didn’t even realise he was still playing.
Eagles is a weird one. He's 34 now but he was only 28 when he left us and he's basically never settled since. Also dragged his feet about singing contracts and seemed happy to be a free agent. Odd stuff. I don't imagine he's The Answer.
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 2:27 pm
We really need to end this unhealthy obsession some of our fans seem to have (on social media etc) with returns for former players. Especially ones as poor as Eagles is nowadays.
McGinlay for manager!
Ha. Exactly.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm

OFFICIAL: Faal has signed an 18 month contract.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:03 pm

Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm

He's shit hot...…..

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:19 pm

Know absolutely zero about him. But I can't help but feel this is the way we need to go. Finding these sorts of players. Some will come off some won't make the step up. But if he does well he won't be here very long but the club will make a big profit and hopefully grow us out of the lower leagues.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 pm

Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm
He's shit hot...…..
Right - genuine problem - I don't know if that's a curry based joke or Enfield inside knowledge?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:19 pm
Know absolutely zero about him. But I can't help but feel this is the way we need to go. Finding these sorts of players. Some will come off some won't make the step up. But if he does well he won't be here very long but the club will make a big profit and hopefully grow us out of the lower leagues.
Yup, low risk and potentially high reward. If our other signings are of a similar ilk I will be pleased.

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:31 pm

From an acquaintance who watches a fair bit of non-league:
He’s got the longest legs in football!

His goal record is pretty much a goal a game this season, been around quite a few clubs (Dulwich, Kingstonian notably) and loved by fans everywhere. Was very dangerous - pacy, rangy striker - last time I saw him about 18 months ago, but also very raw. I know he was being looked at by Charlton and Watford amongst others so I imagine some of those rough edges have been rounded a little.

Could turn out to be a gem.
Also noted on the Enfield Town release it says he has appeared as a trialist for our u23s on a number of occasions.

https://www.enfieldtownfootballclub.co. ... 00450.html
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm

And another:
WANDERERS are set to confirm the signing of Manchester United midfielder Ethan Hamilton on loan until the end of the season. The 21-year-old was recalled last week from a season-long loan at Southend United, where he had made 18 appearances in all competitions this season. A Scotland youth international, Hamilton was called up to United’s first team squad in January 2018 by Jose Mourinho, but ended up as an unused substitute for an FA Cup game against Huddersfield Town.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... hend-exit/

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm
And another:
WANDERERS are set to confirm the signing of Manchester United midfielder Ethan Hamilton on loan until the end of the season. The 21-year-old was recalled last week from a season-long loan at Southend United, where he had made 18 appearances in all competitions this season. A Scotland youth international, Hamilton was called up to United’s first team squad in January 2018 by Jose Mourinho, but ended up as an unused substitute for an FA Cup game against Huddersfield Town.
The Southend fans don't seem to be particularly disappointed about this one. I'll reserve my judgment for now, but I would be very surprised if he were an upgrade on Bridcutt.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:57 pm

Two signings!

The lad from non league, great. He’s going to be made up to be here and have a right go isn’t he? Which has got to be more refreshing than taking a young lad on big wages at a big club who already has enough cash to retire. Might not come off, but it won’t be for a lack of effort.

Fingers crossed the loanee wants to make it - he’s played enough football at this level to suggest he does.

Keith’s rolling the dice.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm
And another:
The Southend fans don't seem to be particularly disappointed about this one. I'll reserve my judgment for now, but I would be very surprised if he were an upgrade on Bridcutt.
I'd guess he's the other sort. One For The Future.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Agreed. Funnily enough one of the best sides around here for that approach, used to be Bury. I'm sure they went through a lot of dross but if we were to unearth a future Dixon, Lee, Johnson or Nugent it could only be a positive thing. Provided we spend the proceeds better than they did, obviously.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

twilight
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by twilight » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:14 pm

Pleased with the Faal signing, and what a move for him as well! If the move comes off and he does well I will be made up. BWFC have not found a "rough diamond" for years, and It's good that we are looking at players like this. Hopefully more to come

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:17 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Agreed. Funnily enough one of the best sides around here for that approach, used to be Bury. I'm sure they went through a lot of dross but if we were to unearth a future Dixon, Lee, Johnson or Nugent it could only be a positive thing. Provided we spend the proceeds better than they did, obviously.
Aye - falls under Irfan Kawri's long-term remit
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... wns-trust/

KeyserSoze
Passionate
Passionate

Post by KeyserSoze » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 pm

Another one, from the North West Counties Leagues! 18yo George Thomason from Longridge Town.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 5016226826
Nero fiddles while Gordon Burns.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:44 pm

Now he really is one for the future. But they're needed, too: many of our understaffed U23 squad are propping up the first-team squad, our U18s are playing at U23 and our U16s are playing U18. That's not fast-tracking, it's murderously overpromoting. It'll take a while to get numbers up but welcome, young George. T! O! T-O-M!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:47 pm

KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 pm
Another one, from the North West Counties Leagues! 18yo George Thomason from Longridge Town.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 5016226826
It's like Jason McAteer all over again! I'm getting giddy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 pm

Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm
And another:
I'd guess he's the other sort. One For The Future.
He’s 21 so he counts in squad numbers immediately. And has played for Rochdale and Southend. He’s one for now. Can’t see how he’d be anything else....