Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:02 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:47 pm
KeyserSoze wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 5:36 pm
Another one, from the North West Counties Leagues! 18yo George Thomason from Longridge Town.

https://twitter.com/OfficialBWFC/status ... 5016226826
It's like Jason McAteer all over again! I'm getting giddy.
Is it another of these whereby the transfer fee's some or other football-related paraphernalia?
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:30 pm

Three signings with a combined age of 61. That's younger than Enoch! :lol:
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:02 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:
Another one, from the North West Counties Leagues! 18yo George Thomason from Longridge Town.

Is it another of these whereby the transfer fee's some or other football-related paraphernalia?
Exactly. Ingenious.
"How does a bag of footballs fit into the terms of your embargo, you EFL wankers!?!"

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:38 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:30 pm
Three signings with a combined age of 61. That's younger than Enoch! :lol:
:lol:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 06, 2020 9:33 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:36 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 8:02 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
KeyserSoze wrote:

Exactly. Ingenious.
"How does a bag of footballs fit into the terms of your embargo, you EFL wankers!?!"
Fulham gave Rushall Olympic a bunch of trackies for Zat Knight. I know this as it was a mate of mine who had to sign-off on the deal from the Fulham end. They later sold the useless fecking c*nt to Villa for £3.5m (and couldn't believe their luck). Two years of him being utterly 4ucking shit into a four year contract for Villa, Megson signed him for us for £4m. His contract thankfully eventually expired and the useless nice person was free to find a new club. Not a single anyone came in for him. However, and clearly in a buyer's market, Coyle offered him £30k a week to re-sign. Is it any wonder we're in the cart?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm
And another:
WANDERERS are set to confirm the signing of Manchester United midfielder Ethan Hamilton on loan until the end of the season. The 21-year-old was recalled last week from a season-long loan at Southend United, where he had made 18 appearances in all competitions this season. A Scotland youth international, Hamilton was called up to United’s first team squad in January 2018 by Jose Mourinho, but ended up as an unused substitute for an FA Cup game against Huddersfield Town.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... hend-exit/
The Southend fans don't seem to be particularly disappointed about this one. I'll reserve my judgment for now, but I would be very surprised if he were an upgrade on Bridcutt.
I'd guess he's the other sort. One For The Future.
He’s 21 so he counts in squad numbers immediately. And has played for Rochdale and Southend. He’s one for now. Can’t see how he’d be anything else....
Oh, I hope and expect that he'll play this season. Waste of a loan otherwise.

What I mean is that - given The Gun's comparison to Bridcutt and the previous conversation about two types of possible signings: the relatively big-name Saviours who've done it before and might be regarded as slightly surprising captures (eg Daryl, Bridcutt) or the lower-key, build-for-the-future types, usually younger and less well-known - young Ethan is definitely of the latter stripe.

Put it this way, I would hope that the remaining half-season isn't the key phase of Hamilton's Wanderers career; whereas if Daryl carries on and bags 15-20 goals that keep us in with a chance in April, that's his legacy right there, even if he leaves in summer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:46 am

Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:30 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 6:52 pm
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:58 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:55 pm
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:48 pm
And another:
WANDERERS are set to confirm the signing of Manchester United midfielder Ethan Hamilton on loan until the end of the season. The 21-year-old was recalled last week from a season-long loan at Southend United, where he had made 18 appearances in all competitions this season. A Scotland youth international, Hamilton was called up to United’s first team squad in January 2018 by Jose Mourinho, but ended up as an unused substitute for an FA Cup game against Huddersfield Town.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... hend-exit/
The Southend fans don't seem to be particularly disappointed about this one. I'll reserve my judgment for now, but I would be very surprised if he were an upgrade on Bridcutt.
I'd guess he's the other sort. One For The Future.
He’s 21 so he counts in squad numbers immediately. And has played for Rochdale and Southend. He’s one for now. Can’t see how he’d be anything else....
Oh, I hope and expect that he'll play this season. Waste of a loan otherwise.

What I mean is that - given The Gun's comparison to Bridcutt and the previous conversation about two types of possible signings: the relatively big-name Saviours who've done it before and might be regarded as slightly surprising captures (eg Daryl, Bridcutt) or the lower-key, build-for-the-future types, usually younger and less well-known - young Ethan is definitely of the latter stripe.

Put it this way, I would hope that the remaining half-season isn't the key phase of Hamilton's Wanderers career; whereas if Daryl carries on and bags 15-20 goals that keep us in with a chance in April, that's his legacy right there, even if he leaves in summer.
Know what you mean but no idea what Hamilton's status is in June. Equally no idea what he's like - but Hill presumably does.

I hope big Daryl sticks around next season - likes of Faal would have a super role model to learn from if he would.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:18 am

Iles seemed impressed with signing Hamilton, who seems to have done well for Dale last season. No clarity online about his contract length - he signed a new one in summer 2018, but reports don't say how long. However, as he's 21 and hasn't played a competitive minute for the first team, I would guess he's on a free this summer and wondering where he'll be. Might be us.

Doubt we'd carry Daryl's wages in Div 4 (we're probably not paying him the full whack he was on). He also turns 38 next season. Never say never and all that, and it depends on dollar, but I think this might be it for him here - especially as other third-tier teams will have noticed him scoring in this league.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:26 pm

Alan Nixon: "Bolton. Taking an interest in Adam Jackson at Hibs. English lad. Defender. Casting the net wide. Not for green light for Wheater and Dunne as yet."
LoV: "he’s a 25 year old Middlesbrough academy graduate, who has spent the majority of his career so far in the lower leagues with Hartlepool United and Barnsley.... described as a “quality player ruined with injuries at the wrong times”. He’ll fit right in.... Capped at U19 level for England, Jackson has only featured six times in the SPL this season, so it would seem that Jack Ross is open to letting him leave, presumably on a loan deal."

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 pm

Amused at fans who seem to think signing loads of non leaguers is the way to go. Quick polish, bit of training and they'll magically transform into league 1 stars and get sold for loads of money. Most are in non league because that is the level that matches their ability. Players like faal yes, but how many 'do a vardy' realistically?
Same people thought we should chuck samizadeh, Hall etc straight in and they'd bang in goals galore.
Should stop reading Twitter really! It's like clicking on 'Comments' on the BN site.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:33 pm

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:26 pm
described as a “quality player ruined with injuries at the wrong times”.
I hear what you're saying about injuries, but for a guy who turns 26 in May, I'm concerned that he's only made 76 senior appearances (according to Wiki)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:36 pm

Journo friend of mine who supports Kingstonian (where Fall was "in and out of the team") was gobsmacked at the signing: "not great one-on-one - all instinctive ...he's a really lovely lad, if nothing else"

As you say, success stories are rare, but we've got nowt else on except the hope of striking lucky. Low-risk bets.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:37 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:29 pm
Amused at fans who seem to think signing loads of non leaguers is the way to go. Quick polish, bit of training and they'll magically transform into league 1 stars and get sold for loads of money. Most are in non league because that is the level that matches their ability. Players like faal yes, but how many 'do a vardy' realistically?
Same people thought we should chuck samizadeh, Hall etc straight in and they'd bang in goals galore.
Should stop reading Twitter really! It's like clicking on 'Comments' on the BN site.
Well its a balance. Our alternatives currently are signing players up and coming from non-league or league 2. Players other clubs at our level (or where subsidised) above that teams don't want - or players on a free that nobody else wants.

The problem quite simply with the last 10 years is that we've spent our money on players to patch us over. In the short term the results have sometimes (though often not) justified it but in the long run we've simply had to replace teams with diminishing returns and barely any fees.

So buying up and coming potential - and hoping that some come off and make us a big financial return, whilst developing our own is probably the only model we can pursue now. If we don't - then once again we are trying a plan that has no return and no sustainability beyond hoping for minor miracles.

We could sign 10 promising non-league young lads for a few shirts and a tiny combined weekly wage. Only need one to do a bit and get a fee and we'll have covered ourselves.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:42 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:33 pm
I hear what you're saying about injuries, but for a guy who turns 26 in May, I'm concerned that he's only made 76 senior appearances (according to Wiki)
92 (according to the column a bit further to the right on Wiki :D )

Yeah he basically sat in Boro's Academy until he was 21. Loaned to fourth-tier Hartlepool (as I imagine they all are eventually) and played 30-odd in six months. Released at 22, snapped up by second-tier Barnsley, which isn't a bad sign - played 10 first season, 20-odd second season (also in Champ), then only a handful (injuries? new gaffer?). He's only played 22 in the last 18 months, for whatever reason, and he's not out of contract in summer.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:45 pm

Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:42 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 1:33 pm
92 (according to the column a bit further to the right on Wiki :D )

Yeah he basically sat in Boro's Academy until he was 21. Loaned to fourth-tier Hartlepool (as I imagine they all are eventually) and played 30-odd in six months. Released at 22, snapped up by second-tier Barnsley, which isn't a bad sign - played 10 first season, 20-odd second season (also in Champ), then only a handful (injuries? new gaffer?). He's only played 22 in the last 18 months, for whatever reason, and he's not out of contract in summer.
Beggars can't be choosers but I'm with Bruce on this one. Players at that age who haven't played many games (especially if that was not through being in reserves at a high level club) is worrying - and seemingly this lad even when fit hasn't always been picked. Even when his boss took him up to Hibs. I'd have reservations over it - purely on that basis. But I guess we'll find out when/if it happens.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:16 pm

Aye, I can't say his figures make my heart leap. They're made worse because he didn't play a competitive senior game above non-league level until he was 21 and a half, which is itself a worry - as is his lack of game time over the last 18 months. In the two-and-a-half seasons in the middle he played 77 times, which isn't *terrible*. But yeah, it's not an air-punching moment.

For the record - Paul Heckingbottom, who signed him at Barnsley and Hibs, said "Adam has a real physical presence. He is strong in the air and understands how we want to defend and how we look to play out from the back. So, he's ideally suited to the way we like to play."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:18 pm

Wed Jan 08, 2020 2:16 pm
Aye, I can't say his figures make my heart leap. They're made worse because he didn't play a competitive senior game above non-league level until he was 21 and a half, which is itself a worry - as is his lack of game time over the last 18 months. In the two-and-a-half seasons in the middle he played 77 times, which isn't *terrible*. But yeah, it's not an air-punching moment.

For the record - Paul Heckingbottom, who signed him at Barnsley and Hibs, said "Adam has a real physical presence. He is strong in the air and understands how we want to defend and how we look to play out from the back. So, he's ideally suited to the way we like to play."
Early in his time here Hill said something similar about players in their 20's who haven't even racked up 100 appearance - in hindsight I suspect it was directed at Weir...

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:02 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:20 pm
Gary the Enfield wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 4:17 pm
He's shit hot...…..
Right - genuine problem - I don't know if that's a curry based joke or Enfield inside knowledge?
The former. Although my mate who watches Enfield Town avidly says he's a proper talent, just needs the right stage.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:41 pm

We're going to be in the hopeful punts territory for a while now. Low risk, likely low reward most of the time. Judicious non-league scouting and hanging around the academies of the Manchester and Liverpool clubs for the ones who don't make it (perhaps like this Ethan chap) seems the way to go. Burnley picked up Trippier, Keane and Mee after they didn't make the cut at the Manchester clubs. We'll be looking in at least the bin below that, but then we're not expecting to sign premier League quality.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:58 pm

Ipswich site Those Were The Days - they whose site handily allows you to create a league table between dates #statz #nerd - report thusly:

”TWTD understands that Bolton Wanderers are eyeing a permanent move for Blues central defender Toto Nsiala. Nsiala, 27, has been in and out of the Town side in recent weeks having recovered from the hamstring injury he suffered in pre-season.”

LoV add that the Everton academy graduate dipped into the National League, found his feet in Shrewsbury's run to the League One play-off final in 2018. Presumably the Shrews boss who flew to Ipswich took him there too and nobody else is impressed. But, again, choosy beggars.

EDIT aye -
https://www.twtd.co.uk/ipswich-town-news/37568/

"The Kinshasa-born DR Congo international, who grew up in Liverpool, joined the Blues from Shrewsbury in the summer of 2018 in a double deal with Jon Nolan, following their former Shrews manager Paul Hurst to Portman Road."

EDIT 2
Played for Macc and Accy in D4 (39 games) before three seasons in non-league (96 games). Hartlepool took him into Div 4 for six months (25 games) before he switched to Shrewsbury, adding another 21 games that season as they went up out of Div 4 before playing 58 as the Shrews reached Wembley twice - in the D3 playoffs and FL Trophy. 24 games for Ipswich last season - in and out of the team under both managers - then pinged a hamstring this summer. But unlike the other lad, he's played some games - and I guess he knows Josh Emmanuel from last season. He's also 6ft 4in.
www.itfc.co.png
www.itfc.co.png (260.84 KiB) Viewed 3171 times