The Politics Thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Who will you be voting for?

Labour
41%
Conservatives
38%
Liberal Democrats
6%
UK Independence Party (UKIP)
No votes
Green Party
9%
Plaid Cymru
No votes
Other
3%
Planet Hobo
3%

Total votes: 32

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The Politics Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:27 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Mon Jan 06, 2020 10:16 pm
I really do hope the labour party are more sensible than to elect Wrong-Daily and no brainer Rayner.
Before anyone says why, does it worry you, yes it bloody does we need a decent opposition not a pack of morons.
Shouldn't worry you mate, it's just our democratic choice so you gotta suck it up, buttercup and absofuckinglutely no moaning.

RBL feels like a coronation to me at the minute.

Which female candidate would get your vote Hobes, from all the opposition parties?
RLB is a dreadful, dreadful choice. Her campaign launch speech is more or less the most tone deaf, fingers in ears not listening thing Ive seen.

If it’s not Keir then I’m done with them.

Edit: she’s just made it worse by saying she rated Corbyn’s leadership as 10/10. Christ alive.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:34 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
I really do hope the labour party are more sensible than to elect Wrong-Daily and no brainer Rayner.
Before anyone says why, does it worry you, yes it bloody does we need a decent opposition not a pack of morons.
Shouldn't worry you mate, it's just our democratic choice so you gotta suck it up, buttercup and absofuckinglutely no moaning.

Which female candidate would get your vote Hobes, from all the opposition parties?
RLB is a dreadful, dreadful choice. Her campaign launch speech is more or less the most tone deaf, fingers in ears not listening thing Ive seen.

Edit: she’s just made it worse by saying she rated Corbyn’s leadership as 10/10. Christ alive.
Yup. But she'll likely get Momentum and at least one significant union, which like Corbyn's coronation will probably be enough.

Would be Starmer for me, I think, at this point. RLB is like the Tories picking Michael Howard.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 pm

By golly!

Just listened to Graham Stringer MP speaking at the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill committee stage..

What a breath of fresh air. I commend his input to anyone that can be bothered to search it out.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:01 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Yup. But she'll likely get Momentum and at least one significant union, which like Corbyn's coronation will probably be enough.

Would be Starmer for me, I think, at this point. RLB is like the Tories picking Michael Howard.
I fear she will win too. I just hope enough sensible people sign up and vote for Keir. I really think it’s a shame that the female candidates simply aren’t up to scratch but there we are. Starmer could unite that party. I don’t see RLB doing anything other than driving it apart.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:05 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 6:56 pm
By golly!

Just listened to Graham Stringer MP speaking at the EU (Withdrawal Agreement) Bill committee stage..

What a breath of fresh air. I commend his input to anyone that can be bothered to search it out.

...and then Stuart C. McDonald MP, piss poor effort!

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:09 pm

Long-Bailey's to lose, given their ridiculous leadership election system.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:

If it is Kier then I'm more than happy to listen.

However, I've just watched Rebecca Long-Bailey on the regional news, praising Corbyn and his election campaign before droning on about restoring power to unions.

If that's the case then I'll find myself doing what I did in the last GE - voting against someone rather than for someone.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 7:37 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:

If it is Kier then I'm more than happy to listen.

However, I've just watched Rebecca Long-Bailey on the regional news, praising Corbyn and his election campaign before droning on about restoring power to unions.

If that's the case then I'll find myself doing what I did in the last GE - voting against someone rather than for someone.
And there we go. The Labour Party should be listening, they won’t though because they are dominated by students who haven’t yet figured out they live in a bubble, politically speaking.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Lisa Nandy seems decent enough but to be fair I don't think she could withstand the heat in either the labour party nor the commons kitchen.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:06 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Lisa Nandy seems decent enough but to be fair I don't think she could withstand the heat in either the labour party nor the commons kitchen.
She’s not ready yet clearly.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:20 pm
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Yeah but worthy was asking which female contender could I vote for, the rest of them I'd sooner eat dog puke.
Stammer is one of the London champagne elites looks and sounds like a Ken doll, no fcuking chance up north.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:55 pm

Hoboh wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 8:48 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

Yeah but worthy was asking which female contender could I vote for, the rest of them I'd sooner eat dog puke.
Stammer is one of the London champagne elites looks and sounds like a Ken doll, no fcuking chance up north.
Whereas Boris is what exactly? A northerner?

Starmer was director of public prosecutions (doesn’t help him with momentum does it?) he’s actually achieved something outside of politics. I think he’s the only sensible choice. I do like Jess Phillips. She’s genuine. But way way way off being a leader.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:16 pm

Hoboh wrote:

Mate. Several of the north east mining communities voted Tory in the last GE. Town's which only exist because someone dug a hole in the ground. I've heard the children of miners, too young to even have been around at the time of the miner's strike confess that they'd "Rather die than vote Tory" by dint of what their parents have told them.I'd imagine that most of them are desperate to vote for an electable Labour party. That's how bad Corby'ns campaign was, and he's hardly your Champagne type.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:15 pm

Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

I think I'm broadly with you on Nandy and she doesn't need to be ready now, she needs to be ready in about 4 and half years time. Whilst I think Jess Phillips is quite funny, I could see that there might be a good few she could just put their backs up. Rest of 'em notafuckingchance.

Starmer is certainly no more of a London champagne elite than the previous three Prime Ministers back to 2010...

I think the problem Labour has is if you take out the "Brexit effect" and you take out the "Corbyn effect" they were then left with 8 million new policies that they released one every 10 minutes, in an absolute garbled cluster-feck. And they're trying to pitch that wasn't part of the problem. They're in denial.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 9:02 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 10:15 pm
Hoboh wrote:
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Hoboh wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:
Hoboh wrote:

I think I'm broadly with you on Nandy and she doesn't need to be ready now, she needs to be ready in about 4 and half years time. Whilst I think Jess Phillips is quite funny, I could see that there might be a good few she could just put their backs up. Rest of 'em notafuckingchance.

Starmer is certainly no more of a London champagne elite than the previous three Prime Ministers back to 2010...

I think the problem Labour has is if you take out the "Brexit effect" and you take out the "Corbyn effect" they were then left with 8 million new policies that they released one every 10 minutes, in an absolute garbled cluster-feck. And they're trying to pitch that wasn't part of the problem. They're in denial.
I think genuinely that whilst Corbyn was a predictable clusterfuck - they were always struggling given the swing towards right wing populism and nationalism amongst the working class in certain parts of this country - and indeed the wider world.

However, clearly having crazy policies presented as a throwaway list, the anti-semitism issue, Corbyn's world view and general incompetence made it a complete mess.

The major issue I have with Nandy is that she was an ardent remainer who then suddenly swung round to "appeasing anti-immigration types". Its a dangerous path to tread. I think she's bright and eloquent but there is too much inconsistency with her that the papers would rip her apart. There is no point Labour becoming socially Conservative - it would be completely counter-productive.

They need to offer up a compelling centre left manifesto and policy set and also rebuild credibility. That will offer people choice. I don't think anyone can guarantee Labour can win the next election - nobody within the party. So they simply have to craft something that has wide appeal across their various political factions - including the Corbynites.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:06 am

I think genuinely that whilst Corbyn was a predictable clusterfuck - they were always struggling given the swing towards right wing populism and nationalism amongst the working class in certain parts of this country - and indeed the wider world.
Why on earth do you keep denigrating looking after our own first as right wing nationalism/populism?
The major issue I have with Nandy is that she was an ardent remainer who then suddenly swung round to "appeasing anti-immigration types". Its a dangerous path to tread
Did she or did she accept, finally, that leave actually won a free vote like people I know who voted remain, I'd call that honesty.
They need to offer up a compelling centre left manifesto and policy set and also rebuild credibility. That will offer people choice. I don't think anyone can guarantee Labour can win the next election - nobody within the party. So they simply have to craft something that has wide appeal across their various political factions - including the Corbynites.
I think you might find hell freezing over or the Iranians asking Donald to afternoon tea first mate.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Jan 07, 2020 9:16 pm
Hoboh wrote:

Mate. Several of the north east mining communities voted Tory in the last GE. Town's which only exist because someone dug a hole in the ground. I've heard the children of miners, too young to even have been around at the time of the miner's strike confess that they'd "Rather die than vote Tory" by dint of what their parents have told them.I'd imagine that most of them are desperate to vote for an electable Labour party. That's how bad Corby'ns campaign was, and he's hardly your Champagne type.
Starmer Bruce is one of those blokes you clock when walking into a meeting and your instant gut reaction is I'll have to watch him.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:38 am

Hoboh wrote:
Wed Jan 08, 2020 11:06 am
Why on earth do you keep denigrating looking after our own first as right wing nationalism/populism?
Definition of nationalism "identification with one's own nation and support for its interests, especially to the exclusion or detriment of the interests of other nations."

Definition of populism "a political approach that strives to appeal to ordinary people who feel that their concerns are disregarded by established elite groups."

Are you trying to tell me with a straight face - that we're not here as a result of a very clear and demonstrable swing towards nationalism and right wing populism? Seriously? You've just almost given me verbatim the dictionary definition of nationalism and in your previous post described a politician as "a champagne socialist elite". That's the very definition of right wing populist view there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:00 pm

Starmer has Unison's backing now apparently. This might not be the RLB coronation we fear...one can hope.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Jan 08, 2020 3:06 pm

"God is great - death to America."

Now that's what I call right wing nationalism.