Up Hill and down 'Dale - Rochdale (A), 3:00pm, 11/01/20

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Up Hill and down 'Dale - Rochdale (A), 3:00pm, 11/01/20

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:04 pm

Outclassed in the end by a classy looking Rochdale side. We faded in the second half after starting it very well. We definitely need a more attacking left back as a lot of pressure comes on that side because of our sitting LB. Faal looked very gangling, off balance, head down but full of energy. Hill will have a lot of work to get him up to speed in this league. Hamilton excellent with Nsiala strong and solid. Also need a good #10 and a winger. What happened to Politic? When is Crawford coming back?

Staying in this league is looking bleaker with each passing game.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 11, 2020 5:29 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 pm
What did people expect?
Judging by the pre-match noises, a much more thorough stuffing than we actually got. I hope that's not spoiled anyone's day.

We go again on Tuesday. Well, I do, and it's a long way. Might win and we might not, but I'll gio with hope in my heart and a song on my lips.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:16 pm

Another load of incoherent bollocks by Hill in his post match interview on GMR. I'm not going to give him grief for the footballing side as it stands, but good God he spouts some drivel and I've taken a very strong dislike to him.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 4:55 pm
What did people expect? We have no midfield whilst Hamilton sounds like he had a good game we are so lacking in that area it’s not funny. In fairness we are a senior centre half short too.

This.

I have major reservations about Hill but the basic fact is that today Rochdale had the better starting eleven. We have such a paucity of credible options in central midfield currently that we had to resort to packing the space in behind with centre-backs to compensate, despite the only centre-back we have with any proper experience having signed just yesterday. Given the circumstances, we were only ever going to be big underdogs and, in the end, we didn't disgrace ourselves.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:22 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:16 pm
Another load of incoherent bollocks by Hill in his post match interview on GMR. I'm not going to give him grief for the footballing side as it stands, but good God he spouts some drivel and I've taken a very strong dislike to him.
Can't embed tweets so best I can do...

[tweet]https://twitter.com/BBCRMsport/status/1 ... 32545?s=19[/tweet]

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:24 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Just listened to it, what a pathetic up his own arse rant - he says he's putting his neck & reputation on the line, he was out of work after being sacked from Rochdale, and apparently bombarded FV for the job.

He's sick of this & he's sick of that, he's completely out of his depth at BWFC, he's full of excuses and listening to that interview is an utter dick - we are going nowhere under Hill, the guy is an utter prick - he needs to leave and wait for the next Conference Job because that is his level.

He simply can't stand any criticism, he only got the job because he was cheap & from Bolton - he should be grateful having a job, not having a go at everyone but himself.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:25 pm

Keith's post-match thoughts. Make of them what you will!

"Nobody is on the same page whether it’s the press, the football club, whether it’s the staff, the players or the academy at this moment in time.

“[We are] 100 per cent committed to creating a new Bolton. There are people still living in the past, people still going on about what they did, what they haven’t done.

“I am sick to death of listening to what they did the last time they were in League One. I am sick to death of being criticised for putting a team together and putting my future at risk and nobody else’s. I am sick to death of all the criticism of this team and all that they are doing.

“Adam Chicksen has played today, probably his last game as we try to create a new team. I had a chat yesterday about playing, about the potential impact, and he’s as brave as a lion, did exactly what I wanted.

“I put my neck on the line. I came here because there is a massive rebuild and it’s not a one-game season – don’t compare me to Sam Allardyce, don’t compare me to Phil Parkinson the last time we were in League One because I haven’t got his budget, nowhere near, I am on a rebuild mission here.

“The consortium are 100 per cent in the loop on that plan.

Asked where he was getting criticism from, Hill added: “Press. Opinions. Everybody is tweeting, everybody is comparing to what they did last time. Everybody is comparing stats and facts.

“Get some reality, get some perspective and let’s start supporting this team so it makes itself clean and it makes sure that it exists beyond the financial perilous situation it was in last time where they were £140-160million overspend. We are not overspending, we are trying to create a new team identity, a new football club.

"It won’t happen overnight and if a new manager comes in tomorrow it will be exactly the same problems.”

Hill was happy with Wanderers’ performance – Ethan Hamilton having hit both the post and the bar on his debut.

“I’m proud of the players, the spirit they have shown, the relentless energy they have brought to the table. The chances we had.

“I won’t dispute the possession Rochdale had. They are a good side in possession and I love the way they play. But there is probably eight years’ work and the continuity from Brian (Barry-Murphy), the players, the layering system. It’s good to watch but we were well in the game.

"I am pleased for players and I will support the players. I want to be given the opportunity to build my team, the identity of the supporters, and what they expect from underneath the shirt was there today.

“Clean it up with good footballing decisions and we become a good team.”
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:25 pm

LeverEnd wrote:

Yes, it wasn't good at all. Some of what he said might have been fair comment if expressed in a more professional manner but the whole thing just came across as him cracking under the pressure. I've thought from the beginning that his inability to censor himself would get him in trouble eventually but it seems to be happening quicker than expected.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:30 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
If he's coming out with shite like that then the guy has issues. We know that you're managing the club out of its lowest ebb. Nobody's comparing you to anyone. Everyone's behind you. Stop talking utter bollocks and get on with it.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm

He does have issues because he thinks that he's better than he is, when in reality he's only a very average league 2 level manager who only got the job because he was from Bolton and was cheap as fcuk - and I've never heard anyone compare Hill with Big Sam - listening to that again he comes across a bit like Gary Megson, he's obviously feeling the pressure (even though he's not been under any !) & simply can't handle it.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:52 pm

Also the comparisons I've heard with Phil (wotsisname?!) Parkinson have been supportive and favourable to Hill, so he's picking a fight over nothing with that one. He has form for this we were told. Said ages ago it would happen.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:01 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 6:36 pm
He does have issues because he thinks that he's better than he is, when in reality he's only a very average league 2 level manager who only got the job because he was from Bolton and was cheap as fcuk - and I've never heard anyone compare Hill with Big Sam - listening to that again he comes across a bit like Gary Megson, he's obviously feeling the pressure (even though he's not been under any !) & simply can't handle it.
Exactly the vibe I'm getting just now. However, the difference being that precious few were behind Magson from the start, whereas Hill's had 100% backing.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:07 pm

Its all about him, he could have come out & said how well young Hamilton played but he chose to make it all about him and have a go at everyone - when he actually hadn't even been criticised.

I honestly cant see much of a future for him after this outburst, the man's a liability every time he opens his mouth.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:08 pm

There have been a few who invoked the spirit of Owen's ping-pong table on here as well.
Coyle's tactical prowess and Megson's charm. What a winning combo that would be !! :hang: :lol:

Sharon needs to get him to wind his neck in or it will all end badly for him, and as irritating as I find him, that would be a real shame.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:10 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:07 pm
Its all about him, he could have come out & said how well young Hamilton played but he chose to make it all about him and have a go at everyone - when he actually hadn't even been criticised.

I honestly cant see much of a future for him after this outburst, the man's a liability every time he opens his mouth.
That was a particular low point!
Interviewer tried to bring a positive into it, Hill tells him it's because he's a talent sporting genius rather than give a debutant MoM performance some credit.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:21 pm

That’s it for me. Hills a wrong ‘un.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:32 pm

Jobs too big for Hill. He’s cracked. He won’t last the season.

Nobody was expecting Allardyce, or even Parkinson. We knew what we were getting - a manger out of work for a while who had bounced around lower league teams and made a decent job out of a couple. I’ve been critical of decisions and stuff but it’s all with the caveat he had no squad, no budget, no pre season.

I tell you what though there are a very select few managers who could have got survival with the squad he had at the start of September. Not sure if the decisions to finish loans were his now - but I tell you what he isn’t signing anyone better, that’s for sure.

If you don’t fancy it Keith that’s fine - leave us be and all the best.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:35 pm

If he comes across to us as a bit of a bell end how on earth is he coming across to the players? The very people he should be inspiring to give us that extra 5%.

With a few minor exceptions he and the squad have had nothing but solid backing proved by another great away following today.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:46 pm

It’s the best support we’ve had since the days of Allardyce. That’s about the only time you can mention the two in the same sentence. He’s Owen
Coyle with Megsons personality.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 11, 2020 7:47 pm

The worst part for me was “keep putting my neck on the line”, like he’s doing us a favour. He was out of work having been sacked by Rochdale, its not like he turned down other jobs to manage us, as I said earlier I may be wrong but I'm sure that he actually approached FV not the other way around.

He should be very thankful he's got a job, as he'd probably still be unemployed if FV hadn't taken a punt on him.