Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Four each. Stop cheating. It’s Shag Marry Kill.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:49 pm

Keep - Crawford, Darcy, Dodoo, Emmanuel

Ditch - O'Grady, Hobbs, Weir, Zouma.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm

If 4- then keep - Emmanuel, Lowe, Dodoo, Darcy
get rid - Zouma, Hobbs, Weir, Hall

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jan 17, 2020 2:53 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:22 pm
Here's a thing. Hill on contract lengths.
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... contracts/
The window is open to every single one of our players now because most of them have got six months left on their contract. That isn’t the fault of the new owners because they have come in with an existing model in place. It has to change. We have to have the right number of players on the right money for the right amount of time.

It’s part of the process. As a manager you shouldn’t be holding players back because their contract is running down. As long as those players are performing well for the football club they should get individual rewards. We need to give them a longer-term home so that they can become assets. That is how you build a culture. It’s an environment where players can leave but aren’t pushing to do so. That’s how you create the layering system. It’s not hard to do, but it does need a long-term strategy on recruitment and retaining.

You should only be having four players minimum leaving the club because they are in the final months of their deal, not 12, 14, 16. But we’re in an unprecedented position at this moment in time and it will take time to sort.
Quite aside from the fact he almost certainly means "four players maximum" rather than "minimum", this gives us the chance for an idle bit of Shag Marry Kill.

Out of the following BWFC players who are out of contract in the summer, which four would you most want to get rid of - and which four would you most want to keep?

Remi Matthews
Josh Emmanuel
Jack Hobbs
Yoan Zouma
Joe Bunney
Jason Lowe
Luke Murphy
James Weir
Ali Crawford
Ronan Darcy
Dennis Politic
Joe Dodoo
Chris O'Grady
Daryl Murphy
Connor Hall

Four priorities to keep: Zouma, Darcy, Crawford, Politic
Four to give their cards: Hobbs, Weir, Hall, O'Grady

It's harder than you think... I feel for Hall but I don't think he's gonna make it, and O'Grady has done nowt wrong but we need to rejuvenate the front line. As for the keepers, mainly resale value if they develop - obviously it seems daft to dump Daryl but I'm assuming he won't fancy Div Four...
Keep: Darcy, Politic, Crawford, Emmanuel
Bin: Hobbs, Weir, Hall, O'Grady

Looking at that list there's really not a whole lot to get excited about, is there? If Darcy and Politic were to leave in the summer (which isn't that unlikely) we would have lost all of our decent youngsters/saleable assets.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jan 17, 2020 3:06 pm

NB we also have Brockbank, George Thomason and Mo Faal contracted for next season, with Liam Edwards for one more after that.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jan 17, 2020 4:19 pm

Part of the reason I'd be binning off Zouma. Can't be going on with 3 untested, needs improvement, centre-halves.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Fri Jan 17, 2020 1:22 pm

Four priorities to keep: Zouma, Darcy, Crawford, Politic
Four to give their cards: Hobbs, Weir, Hall, O'Grady

It's harder than you think... I feel for Hall but I don't think he's gonna make it, and O'Grady has done nowt wrong but we need to rejuvenate the front line. As for the keepers, mainly resale value if they develop - obviously it seems daft to dump Daryl but I'm assuming he won't fancy Div Four...
Agree with all of that. I feel exactly the same about Connor Hall as I did about Rob Hall. I've willed them both on in the hope that they'd become good players. Sadly, it didn't happen for Rob and I don't see it happening for Connor either.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:12 pm

Hill on window. Two deals fell through this week.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... er-window/
I certainly hope there will be more to come in in January. There’s a lot of work going on. The window is alive and kicking, there are massive processes, because there’s not just one person involved in recruitment, there are a number of issues with football clubs, players, representatives and you might get a green light but then within a day it’s changed. The team that you’re trying to take a player from may have lost out on a player they thought they had so it’s like a domino effect, recruitment.

It’s difficult because you can feel you’ve got one or two over the line, yesterday for example we had three but only ended up with one. So that’s the way it goes. You’ve got to look beyond that, keep your patience and prepare your team for Portsmouth. The players need help, and the biggest help that they can give themselves is self-help, self-protection – that’s where they have to perform.

January is tough for a lot of reasons. It’s tough because the players we want to recruit are better and they will make us better and they support the team being better. The players that we’re chasing can make us better but they have got other options but we can’t take away from the mindset from the player that we’re trying to chase down.

The league table doesn’t lie. And it’s an open window, it’s a window of opportunity for a lot of players, a lot of players at football clubs hold their cards close to their chest for as long as they possibly can. There’s no ‘hard sell’ on attracting players, but you’ve got to filter what it is we need instead of the need for players. We need a better quality of player for us to win games, and the quality players that we’ve had have left because there are better opportunities for them.

This is still a big football club and we want players to come and represent this football club and represent the situation that we’re in. We want fighters. We are working really hard on bringing better players to the club to give ourselves better opportunities to win football matches.

Until we get those players in to make the group stronger we have to deal with the players that we have available. And for the players we have available the games represent opportunities for those players to improve, learn and become better themselves.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:24 pm

I'm sure our poor results over xmas will have a detrimental effect on our recruitment. At the last window we could sell the dream of false position, become a hero etc. Now we're asking players to pass up other opportunities to come to an already relegated side, easy to see why some may not fancy it. Certainly, I'd be surprised if we could attract a Bridcutt, Verlinden type in this window
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 12:24 pm
I'd be surprised if we could attract a Bridcutt, Verlinden type
More like a half-cut malingerer... :(

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:08 pm

Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
He's already been snapped up by Blackpool :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm

One thing seems clear. Recruitment has been taken out of Hills hands and he says there are off field problems which have caused on field problems. He had always been the one who made decisions on recruitment in his career. This process now is new to him. What problems is he talking about? Peter Kenyon?

“We’re alive and kicking and the off-field troubles bring on-field troubles, there’s no question about that,”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ck-bolton/

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:45 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:08 pm
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:02 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
He's already been snapped up by Blackpool :D

:lol:

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:51 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm
One thing seems clear. Recruitment has been taken out of Hills hands and he says there are off field problems which have caused on field problems. He had always been the one who made decisions on recruitment in his career. This process now is new to him. What problems is he talking about? Peter Kenyon?

“We’re alive and kicking and the off-field troubles bring on-field troubles, there’s no question about that,”

He's just talking shite. I doubt even he knows what he's on about. Best not to try and read anything into it :)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:32 pm

Heard a spectacular rumour today, that the reason Nadine was released is that he was going around Cardiff paying people to let him beat them up :lol:

Hats off to whoever came up with that, excellent gossip mongering.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jan 18, 2020 7:04 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Sat Jan 18, 2020 1:10 pm

He means the issues over the summer have left us with on field issues. Not current issues. Bloke is just a wind bag.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am

Nixon linking Parky with a move for Brockbank. I'm sure they'd offer him loads more cash, but he also might not get a game. Whereas if he stayed here he'd be a fixture in what hopefully will be a promotion winning side next season.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:28 am
Nixon linking Parky with a move for Brockbank. I'm sure they'd offer him loads more cash, but he also might not get a game. Whereas if he stayed here he'd be a fixture in what hopefully will be a promotion winning side next season.
Parky's timed that well because poor old Harry had 10 minutes of hell at Lincoln, leading to three goals conceded and his manager getting humiliated.

However, Harry's been at Bolton for two-thirds of his life, is under contract for another 18 months and has said “Bolton are the only team I want to play for. I was so happy I could sign the deal and push on for the next two years. I wanted to stay at Bolton. I’ve been here since I was eight years old, it means everything to me. To be captain… I wouldn’t have thought that could happen for 10 years. To have my family in the crowd to see it happen, that’s just a dream come true. I can’t count my friends because they’re all Bolton fans who were going to be here anyway.”

Sunderland would have to put in a serious cash offer and it would be seen as a serious test of FV's mettle and intent.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am

Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

Sunderland would have to put in a serious cash offer and it would be seen as a serious test of FV's mettle and intent.
It's OK. I'll have a word with his Mum. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Jan 19, 2020 1:15 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Jan 19, 2020 11:43 am
Sun Jan 19, 2020 9:53 am

It's OK. I'll have a word with his Mum. ;)

Don't suppose you know his Nan?