creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:51 pm

Whew.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 27, 2020 2:59 pm

Amazing that this shower of shit are up to 3rd in the ICC test rankings.

The rest of 'em must be beyond f*cking useless!

:D

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:01 pm

Nicely wrapped up and a series win 3-1. Pretty good work by all the England lads and no small result against a good home side. :oyea:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:27 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:01 pm
Nicely wrapped up and a series win 3-1. Pretty good work by all the England lads and no small result against a good home side. :oyea:
They are not a good side certainly with the players missing they aren't.

But its a major step forward for England to win anywhere and a few younger players have really put themselves in the picture which is a huge boost.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:32 pm

Congratulations on putting the 7th best Test side (one place in front of Bangladesh) in the world to bed! :-)

Overall, you can't knock the batting and how it performed over the series - we had 6 players averaging over 45 - Pope - who looked every inch a star, Sibley - grown into it after a bit of an adaptation problem, Wood - icing on cake, Burns - adding solidity, Stokes - nothing much needs saying and Root who built over the series. Crawley's finding his feet a bit at an average of 32 and there's Denly who finished with 30.

Bowling wise, Woods, Stokes, Broad and Anderson all fired when they were fit - three of them averaging in the teens, supported very ably by Woakes, Curran, Archer and Bess. But I never really had too many worries about the bowling - I think we will need Archer and Woods, the next time we go to Oz.

Fielding - pretty good generally - other than 4th innings in the Third test, when we got the dropsies.

As Atherton just said on the tellybox, there's probably decisions to make around Denly and Buttler. Whilst Denly didn't really fire and has a strike-rate that ranks along Chris Tavare, he played a couple of needed and important knocks in the second test. Buttler has had a bit of a mare, but on the "last ten innings" test, is still a few runs on average better than Jonny Baristow is averaging over the same period.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:41 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:32 pm
Congratulations on putting the 7th best Test side (one place in front of Bangladesh) in the world to bed! :-)

Overall, you can't knock the batting and how it performed over the series - we had 6 players averaging over 45 - Pope - who looked every inch a star, Sibley - grown into it after a bit of an adaptation problem, Wood - icing on cake, Burns - adding solidity, Stokes - nothing much needs saying and Root who built over the series. Crawley's finding his feet a bit at an average of 32 and there's Denly who finished with 30.

Bowling wise, Woods, Stokes, Broad and Anderson all fired when they were fit - three of them averaging in the teens, supported very ably by Woakes, Curran, Archer and Bess. But I never really had too many worries about the bowling - I think we will need Archer and Woods, the next time we go to Oz.

Fielding - pretty good generally - other than 4th innings in the Third test, when we got the dropsies.

As Atherton just said on the tellybox, there's probably decisions to make around Denly and Buttler. Whilst Denly didn't really fire and has a strike-rate that ranks along Chris Tavare, he played a couple of needed and important knocks in the second test. Buttler has had a bit of a mare, but on the "last ten innings" test, is still a few runs on average better than Jonny Baristow is averaging over the same period.
Buttler is a confidence man - and seems low on it. They need to decide if his confidence is best sorted in or out of the test side. I honestly think he's the way to go. And will come good. He hasn't yet found his test game - I feel he needs to be unleashed to simply be an attacking batsman at 7. Sure he'll be out cheaply often but also will sometimes come off. Better than scratching round for 15...

Denly at almost 34 has had 14 tests, 26 innings, yet to score 100, averages 30, sorry but he should go. If he was 22 then its a different story - but he's simply not done enough nor is good enough and has been given a good run. If Burns was fit you'd put him in and drop one of Crawley or Sibley to 3 I'd suspect. The Aussies will likely find both out BUT given their ages its worth giving both a run to try and develop them into test players.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:49 pm

Worthy4England wrote:

Where you getting that nonsense from, Worthy?

Have a look here.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:56 pm

Buttler has now played 41 tests, 73 innings and averages 32. Now 32 probably isn't that bad for a number 7, but a genuine world class keeper/batsmen like Matt Prior is over 40. I struggle to put a fag paper between Buttler and Bairstow - Bairstow has the higher average, but not by much and he's woefully out of form. Then there's Ben Foakes who's averaging 42...mainly based on a great Sri Lanka tour but was found a bit wanting in the West Indies...

I think Burns is a given at the moment, when fit (Not been able to say that about an opener for a while). Sibley is growing into the test game, but will need to see what he does against a genuinely fast attack - Not that Nortje is any slouch. I might be inclined to try Crawley at three, too (with one eye on the Ashes).

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:58 pm

Enoch wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:49 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Where you getting that nonsense from, Worthy?

Have a look here.
My bad - had Cricket World Cup rankings up....

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 3:56 pm
Buttler has now played 41 tests, 73 innings and averages 32. Now 32 probably isn't that bad for a number 7, but a genuine world class keeper/batsmen like Matt Prior is over 40. I struggle to put a fag paper between Buttler and Bairstow - Bairstow has the higher average, but not by much and he's woefully out of form. Then there's Ben Foakes who's averaging 42...mainly based on a great Sri Lanka tour but was found a bit wanting in the West Indies...

I think Burns is a given at the moment, when fit (Not been able to say that about an opener for a while). Sibley is growing into the test game, but will need to see what he does against a genuinely fast attack - Not that Nortje is any slouch. I might be inclined to try Crawley at three, too (with one eye on the Ashes).
I think you give Foakes a go again before Bairstow who technically has been found out. If he sorts his technique out then sure - but being bowled repeatedly to any slight movement is absolutely not something to bring into test games.

I don't think Buttler has technical issues - his are mental. He just can't seem to play freely but that has mainly been because mostly he's in during a dire situation. But he's played some resistant innings too. But needs to become an attacking option with the bat.

The reason if he's up for it I'd stick with him is because of the balance of the side. You now are looking at a more stubborn top order and then a genuinely talented and frightening middle order with Pope and Stokes and Root. If just one of those sticks around Buttler on the attack is dangerous - then Curran too. It gives you a real sense of a side that could counter-attack.

Not sure we'll carry Wood and Archer in many games together - suspect mostly both are in the party but only one plays - given both are short spell high impact bowlers who seemingly might not enjoy (or their bodies might not enjoy) rigours of test cricket. Which is fine but both must be protected and not over bowled.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm

^^ If you keep getting out without scoring as many as you're capable of, you have a technical issue! He can't play as freely in tests as there are lots of slips and stuff that you don't get in ODI's. :-) When you look at his performances against the Aussies - they have his number and a little like Bairstow, his performances in 2019 have been a lot worse than his performances 2018 and prior (except the Aussies)...averaged 29 in the Windies, 24 in the Ashes, 21 v NZ and 17 against the Saffers. That's been getting progressively worse!

On strike rate there's hardly anything between Bairstow and Buttler (55 v 57 I think) and Foakes has an SR of 54 - so no slouch either. So I don't really see Buttler as "way more explosive" in the test arena.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:34 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 4:27 pm
^^ If you keep getting out without scoring as many as you're capable of, you have a technical issue! He can't play as freely in tests as there are lots of slips and stuff that you don't get in ODI's. :-) When you look at his performances against the Aussies - they have his number and a little like Bairstow, his performances in 2019 have been a lot worse than his performances 2018 and prior (except the Aussies)...averaged 29 in the Windies, 24 in the Ashes, 21 v NZ and 17 against the Saffers. That's been getting progressively worse!

On strike rate there's hardly anything between Bairstow and Buttler (55 v 57 I think) and Foakes has an SR of 54 - so no slouch either. So I don't really see Buttler as "way more explosive" in the test arena.
I think we might be getting on for having a side that allows Buttler that freedom down the order to express himself. The "tests" are different is absolutely true for all the reasons you've outlined. But I think Buttler's problem is mental not that he's technically poor. He needs to commit to being explosive and plenty have done that in the past - say, Gilchrist. He has to play his ODI game at number 7. I think finally we might have a side that lets him.

Its pointless asking a number 3 to do that because we know tests rarely afford you that opportunity. But Stokes for example is good enough to dictate an innings by simply being aggressive - he's a better test batsman than Buttler sure - but Buttler is good enough to get a rhythm I think. He's been a victim of a poor top order but also his own seeming desire to play traditional test cricket. If he does that there are better options. If he goes a bit Gilchrist then I think he's a real threat - especially if we're scoring 300 plus regularly....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Jan 27, 2020 8:25 pm

We have Sri Lanka, Windies and Pakistan coming up in tests, the last two at home in 2020, which leads us into India away then other end of 2021 the Ashes. I suspect we won't really know what they're made of until end 2021... :-)

All the 2020 tests are "winnable" - not we will or should - but I'd hope to win more than lose. India in India then the Ashes in Aus. That'll sort the men from the boys, so we have 8 tests prior to those where I think we could tinker a bit. But we'd probably want to be fairly settled in the build up, so hopefully this lot but with maybe a couple of changes rather than mass clear outs.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm

South Africa
First innings134 - for1 wickets(25.2overs)

England
First innings258 - for8wickets

South Africa need 125 runs to win from 24.4 overs

Guess who's still in?! :roll:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 4:53 pm
South Africa
First innings134 - for1 wickets(25.2overs)

England
First innings258 - for8wickets

South Africa need 125 runs to win from 24.4 overs

Guess who's still in?! :roll:
Du Plessis? :D

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 pm

I like the BBC headline, 'England thrashed by South Africa'. Aye, they got them with 14 balls to spare, 4% of their allotted overs. A right royal rodgering!

There are some wretchedly miserable folk about.

Mind you, good job we had that wanker Denly. :)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm

First pre-season indoor nets session tonight. Bowling machine set to 55mph. Hit on the trailing thigh above the pad. Clearly the owd lamps aren't what they once were. A bruise and a lump the size of the ball itself. :)

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm
First pre-season indoor nets session tonight. Bowling machine set to 55mph. Hit on the trailing thigh above the pad. Clearly the owd lamps aren't what they once were. A bruise and a lump the size of the ball itself. :)

At least it missed your googlies!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:34 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 9:16 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 8:58 pm

At least it missed your googlies!
True :D However, the part it did hit was my only unprotected part from the waist down. Spiteful, evil bastards, these bowling machines.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Feb 04, 2020 10:57 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Feb 04, 2020 7:40 pm
I like the BBC headline, 'England thrashed by South Africa'. Aye, they got them with 14 balls to spare, 4% of their allotted overs. A right royal rodgering!

There are some wretchedly miserable folk about.

Mind you, good job we had that wanker Denly. :)
If Denley hadn't gone for 7 an over, we might have bloody won! Still good to see his first ODI 50 in ten years... :-)