Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:18 pm

Wonder if he continued to train with us with a view to a barrel scraping job if they couldn't get anyone else?
Anyway I await the remaining dregs of this window with bated breath.
Maybe Buckley will surprise us. It's not like he's never had any talent.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:51 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:18 pm
Wonder if he continued to train with us with a view to a barrel scraping job if they couldn't get anyone else?
I actually don't mind Buckley as a player at this level, but in terms of a structured recruitment plan its shambolic it really is, I honestly don't understand what Hill, FV or Kenyon for that matter are trying to do.

Hill releases him, obviously not wanted and then re signs him 17 days later because basically they can't find anyone better or cheaper. They release Wright & Earl saying they need better quality and to build longer term for next season and then bring in another three players on loan !! none of which (I think) are out of contract in the summer and therefore able to continue with us next season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:55 pm

If ever there was a move to show Keith isn’t in charge of recruitment this is it! Releases him
Only to be told he isn’t getting anyone better! Cue an injury tomorrow night and Hobbs having a mate for the treatment room till April.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm

Sweepstake on his next injury? What and when?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:10 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:08 pm
Sweepstake on his next injury? What and when?
I know.
Thing is, if we hadn't already had Will Buckley for 2.5 years of failure, I'd be happy taking a punt on Will Buckley. But we have.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:12 pm

I swear getting a contract at this place is like an old boys network!

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:14 pm

Further evidence that Keith knows his onions.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm

As I recall it, Hill wanted Buckley to stay but Buckley refused the pay as you play offer on the table. Don't know what changed or who changed their minds.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 pm

The best game I ever saw Buckley have for us was when Parky stuck him in the middle and had him run at the other side's centre backs.
I'd love to see him do this more often.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:21 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 6:55 pm
As I recall it, Hill wanted Buckley to stay but Buckley refused the pay as you play offer on the table. Don't know what changed or who changed their minds.
I'm not sure if this was the case ICB, I can't recall anything about Buckley being offered a pay as you play deal - it was just that Hill released him as he was looking at better options.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:32 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:51 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 5:18 pm
I actually don't mind Buckley as a player at this level, but in terms of a structured recruitment plan its shambolic it really is, I honestly don't understand what Hill, FV or Kenyon for that matter are trying to do.

Hill releases him, obviously not wanted and then re signs him 17 days later because basically they can't find anyone better or cheaper. They release Wright & Earl saying they need better quality and to build longer term for next season and then bring in another three players on loan !! none of which (I think) are out of contract in the summer and therefore able to continue with us next season.
It’s not good. But apparently players don’t fancy coming here in the circumstances we are in on loan. So it’s tough going out there. KH saw his arse after the Burton game and released players thinking we could do better but whilst clubs are keen to send players here the players are less keen to join a club certain to go down.

I think Buckley signing again is pretty much putting the white flags up. Sad but true.

However it doesn’t matter much. If we sign him next year I will be worried.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:42 pm

I'm not unhappy at this. Buckley does offer something when fit, a bit of creativity and chips in with the odd goal. That was largely in a side getting gubbed every week in the Championship. If he stays fit, he could be an asset at this level.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:56 pm

I'm sure I also recall Iles reporting that we offered Buckley a contract on the expiry of his previous one but he turned it down. If we're right about that, then it means he wasn't released but decided to look for a better deal elsewhere before finding out that there wasn't. I understand the concerns surrounding his injury record, but he's currently fit, ready to play, and is capable of contributing.

On the subject of our recruitment recruitment strategy, or lack thereof, I expect that the restrictions under the registration embargo make it practically impossible to implement one during this transfer window. We're not permitted to pay a transfer fee, and there are significantly fewer free agents available in January. Of those that are, they have to, in effect, be 1. a free agent, 2. willing to accept a salary that falls within the wage ceiling imposed upon us by the EFL (rumoured to be £2,000 per week), 3. match fit, and 4. good enough. The pool of players who meet all of those criteria must be incredibly small, if there even is such a pool. Where we might have a brief window of opportunity is in the dying hours of Friday evening, when players and clubs begin to recognise that they have to make serious compromises, and players who aren't getting a look in, whose contracts are soon to expire and who haven't been able to command a transfer fee end up being released. It's similar to the permanent signings we made in August and is an arrangement where everybody wins. The “selling” club manages to get a player they've struggled to move on off the payroll, the players gains a better chance of playing first-team football, and we bring in a player we think can improve us.

I've wondered myself whether we've decided to avoid committing to unnecessary expenditure in the face of a seemingly inevitable relegation but the more I think about it the less I think that's the case. I can certainly understand why players might not want to sign for a club looking certain to go down, either permanently or temporarily, but either way, I'm waiting to see where we are after the transfer windows has closed before passing judgement.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:57 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 pm
The best game I ever saw Buckley have for us was when Parky stuck him in the middle and had him run at the other side's centre backs.

Was that early in the season?

If it was then I agree with you. I don't know if it would work long-term but it did seem to offer us something different.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jan 27, 2020 9:59 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:57 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 7:20 pm

Was that early in the season?

If it was then I agree with you. I don't know if it would work long-term but it did seem to offer us something different.
The Sunderland game at home wasnt it? Post Parky I think, he hit the post about 5 minutes in and had the best game I'd ever seen him have.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:32 pm

Played well at Pompey too as I recall.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:54 pm

It’s lovely you are all trying but that sound is the barrel being scraped.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 am

Keith shoving folks towards the door.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ary-exits/
There are certainly players here who know I have been trying to move them on since the word ‘go’ since I got to the club. Some of those players are still on the training pitch, which is making it difficult for me to bring players in.

We want players who make us stronger, make us better, but the ramifications of the embargo are still evident every single day with respect to me trying to recruit, release, recruit, release.

It isn’t a question of me falling out with players. I give them due respect. But players who are not wanted have to leave.

[Connor Hall] hasn’t played for us and I need players who will. He had other opportunities to go out and hasn’t gone out. Nothing is personal.

It’s difficult. It will happen, though, definitely. We have to make sure that the squad gets better and there are certain players I am going to develop, and we’re seeing the shoots of that development, but there are some who will definitely have to leave so we can get others in.

It’s not a question of one-in, one-out. Within the embargo and the financial restrictions we’re within our budget on being able to recruit, so it’s just down to numbers now.

We have to get numbers out on loan or numbers out on permanents. We have to work our magic in the market.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 am
Keith shoving folks towards the door.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ary-exits/
There are certainly players here who know I have been trying to move them on since the word ‘go’ since I got to the club. Some of those players are still on the training pitch, which is making it difficult for me to bring players in.

We want players who make us stronger, make us better, but the ramifications of the embargo are still evident every single day with respect to me trying to recruit, release, recruit, release.

It isn’t a question of me falling out with players. I give them due respect. But players who are not wanted have to leave.

[Connor Hall] hasn’t played for us and I need players who will. He had other opportunities to go out and hasn’t gone out. Nothing is personal.

It’s difficult. It will happen, though, definitely. We have to make sure that the squad gets better and there are certain players I am going to develop, and we’re seeing the shoots of that development, but there are some who will definitely have to leave so we can get others in.

It’s not a question of one-in, one-out. Within the embargo and the financial restrictions we’re within our budget on being able to recruit, so it’s just down to numbers now.

We have to get numbers out on loan or numbers out on permanents. We have to work our magic in the market.
Clearly Hall was one of those players, but I can't see to many other obvious candidates bar Weir.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:12 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:54 pm
It’s lovely you are all trying but that sound is the barrel being scraped.
Indeed. I agree. But people need to realise that players aren't keen on rocking up at a lost cause - some might if given some sense of an offer for next season - seemingly nobody that keen on doing that.

So the offer is - come and play for 3/4 months at a club that is doomed where the fans are getting just a little restless and spirit is in danger of sagging. Its not appealing. I guess come the end of the window one or two might see it as only option to get some games and impress generally.