Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Onwards and Downwards: 2020 transfer speculation thread.

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:47 am
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:19 am
Keith shoving folks towards the door.

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ary-exits/
There are certainly players here who know I have been trying to move them on since the word ‘go’ since I got to the club. Some of those players are still on the training pitch, which is making it difficult for me to bring players in.

We want players who make us stronger, make us better, but the ramifications of the embargo are still evident every single day with respect to me trying to recruit, release, recruit, release.

It isn’t a question of me falling out with players. I give them due respect. But players who are not wanted have to leave.

[Connor Hall] hasn’t played for us and I need players who will. He had other opportunities to go out and hasn’t gone out. Nothing is personal.

It’s difficult. It will happen, though, definitely. We have to make sure that the squad gets better and there are certain players I am going to develop, and we’re seeing the shoots of that development, but there are some who will definitely have to leave so we can get others in.

It’s not a question of one-in, one-out. Within the embargo and the financial restrictions we’re within our budget on being able to recruit, so it’s just down to numbers now.

We have to get numbers out on loan or numbers out on permanents. We have to work our magic in the market.
Clearly Hall was one of those players, but I can't see to many other obvious candidates bar Weir.

Zouma will be one. Possibly Brockbank. O'Grady?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:40 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:15 am
The_Gun wrote:

There are certainly players here who know I have been trying to move them on since the word ‘go’ since I got to the club. Some of those players are still on the training pitch, which is making it difficult for me to bring players in.

We want players who make us stronger, make us better, but the ramifications of the embargo are still evident every single day with respect to me trying to recruit, release, recruit, release.

It isn’t a question of me falling out with players. I give them due respect. But players who are not wanted have to leave.

[Connor Hall] hasn’t played for us and I need players who will. He had other opportunities to go out and hasn’t gone out. Nothing is personal.

It’s difficult. It will happen, though, definitely. We have to make sure that the squad gets better and there are certain players I am going to develop, and we’re seeing the shoots of that development, but there are some who will definitely have to leave so we can get others in.

It’s not a question of one-in, one-out. Within the embargo and the financial restrictions we’re within our budget on being able to recruit, so it’s just down to numbers now.

We have to get numbers out on loan or numbers out on permanents. We have to work our magic in the market.
Clearly Hall was one of those players, but I can't see to many other obvious candidates bar Weir.

Zouma will be one. Possibly Brockbank. O'Grady?
He signed O'Grady. Brockbank was out for a long time injured and was seemingly one of our best youngsters, so I'd be surprised if he wanted shot of him.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm

I think he's signing his own death warrant if he shows Brockbank the door.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:51 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:36 pm
I think he's signing his own death warrant if he shows Brockbank the door.
Seems very unlikely.

These latest comments from Hill are again not the most professional. I can't imagine coming out with things like this in the press will be endearing him to the squad or fostering team spirit.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:12 pm

Zouma, Weir, Hobbs spring to mind. Poss O'Grady too. Plenty of those signings were any body will do I think so wouldn't rule it out. Don't think he'd played for Oldham so could be got rid of.

Wouldn't necessarily think Lowe or Murphy were totally safe either (and poss easier to move on).
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:15 pm

I hadn't read the article properly and I was just thinking of players we might be able to move on to create places.

He won't want Brockbank to leave permanently but if we find ourselves in a position where we have to create space then I can imagine he might be sent on loan. Simply because he would probably attract interest and it'd be good for him to play some football for a couple of months.

I'm fairly comfortable in thinking that he wants Zouma to move on, though.

malcd1
Passionate
Passionate

Post by malcd1 » Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:51 pm

The_Gun wrote:

Weir and Hall would be my suggestions as well. Can't really think of anyone else but Hill was very critical of Zouma. It wouldn't be Yoan surely?
Do not trust atoms. They make up everything.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:11 pm

Brockbank signed a two-year deal in August, but four weeks before Hill arrived. He may be trying to send him on loan, possibly with any other youngsters who count toward the squad limit, ie presumably those on professional contracts - which means Zouma, Politic, Hall Brockbank and Edwards (Jordan Boon, Ronan Darcy and Eddie Brown are still scholars AFAIK). Three of those are primarily centre-backs, although Brockbank might be Josh Emmanuel's cover at right-back, unless we're going to rob Peter to pay Paul by pklaying Jason Lowe there.

Anyway, I doubt he'd want shut of Politic and maybe Edwards unless he's ludicrously confident in Hobbs' ability to maintain fitness and form. He certainly talked Hobbs up in Ilesy's piece yesterday...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... eith-hill/
with Jack, now he’s back on the training pitch, as soon as he starts making himself available to football training he will have to be included. I can’t afford to play Jack in two or three Under-23s games, he’s going to have to get up to speed playing first team football. As soon as he’s got a week’s training and maybe 45 minutes of an Under-23s game he’ll be considered to play. I know he wasn’t signed by me but he’s been a real integral part of what I am trying to plan with respect to a successful team.
...but does that desperation come from a lack of defensive numbers or a lack of defensive quality? Although some players are versatile, here's one way of looking at the squad:

GK - Remi Matthews
RB - Josh Emmanuel
CB - Jack Hobbs, Toto Nsiala, Yoan Zouma, Liam Edwards, Harry Brockbank, Adam Senior
LB - Brandon Fleming, (Joe Bunney)
CM - Jason Lowe, Luke Murphy, Ronan Darcy, Ethan Hamilton, James Weir, Sonny Graham, George Thomason, (Ali Crawford)
W - Dennis Politic, Will Buckley, Joe Dodoo
CF - Daryl Murphy, Chris O'Grady, Mo Faal

...we seem overstocked with young centre-backs and central midfielders (three of whom Hill signed, plus two kids he's promoted). No secret that Weir will be getting turds in the post but I'm intrigued by the idea that he might be seeing if Lowe or LMurph would attract interest... it would be slated as weakening the team, surrendering etc but if (a big unproved if) they have no interest in Division Four then isn't that rebuilding what some people seem to want?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm

In the absence of a match thread:

Says that Thomason and Faal are "for the future" not "right here right now"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:27 pm

Lowe was dropped from.hills first game which surprised a few. So maybe he doesn't rate him either. It's pointless speculating too much about hill's ramblings though.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:41 pm

Tue Jan 28, 2020 2:17 pm
In the absence of a match thread:

Says that Thomason and Faal are "for the future" not "right here right now"

I'd start one, but we always lose when I do it. Mind you, that's true of any one of us!

Whoever did the Southend game (our most recent win) should do it.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:11 pm

Politic "crowded out" says M.I. I reckon a few shoot on sight chances might work better than against every Div One defence who know how to play us...Seems like they are also hitting everything goalwards...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Hearing a bit too much about Upson and brilliant saves by Matthews and not much the other end?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 pm
Hearing a bit too much about Upson and brilliant saves by Matthews and not much the other end?

Found the match thread then, Tango! :)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:44 pm

Enoch wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:34 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:32 pm

Found the match thread then, Tango! :)
Here and the B.N text is all I have right now, but doesn't sound like I'm missing much,,,All sounds a bit like Bristol v Remi Mathews so far?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 8:57 pm

Sounds like we livened up a bit towards half time..?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:27 pm

Time for "Same old, same old" Yet another daft, soft goal against..

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:43 pm

At last, a goal for the Whites...... :oyea: :oyea:

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:47 pm

Absolute sickener for poor Buckley. Got to feel for the lad. (and the club)

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jan 28, 2020 10:15 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 9:47 pm
Absolute sickener for poor Buckley. Got to feel for the lad. (and the club)
Just got in, had no idea of the score (forgot we were playing which says a lot) and no idea what this is about, but I bet I can guess? Christ.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.