You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:50 pm

Haven't opened a match thread for a while so thought I'd get this one underway a couple of days ahead of the event.

As David Brent would say, "Shoot". :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Re: You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Post by boltonboris » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 pm

My MD's lad plays up front for 'em - I'm fvckin dreading it.
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: You talk so much shit, Hill, you're twisting Mick's Mellon, man. Tranmere H 1/2/20

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:07 pm

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:27 pm

F*ck me!

I thought if anyone could follow the Rioja Formula....

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:46 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:27 pm
F*ck me!

Rage against the dying of the write.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:03 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 6:46 pm
Enoch wrote:
F*ck me!

Rage against the dying of the write.

My old age raves into the wee small hours, usually at the King's Head.
:wink:

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm

Enoch wrote:
F*ck me!

Inadequate space, dear boy. ;)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm
Enoch wrote:
F*ck me!

Shocking. I might write to my MP.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 30, 2020 8:17 pm

boltonboris wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 5:01 pm
My MD's lad plays up front for 'em - I'm fvckin dreading it.
I know. It’s a toss up between this and Doncaster for the game I want as our consolation win before the end of the season.

If anyone sees John Oldgrudge slinking his way into hospitality (as he did when Liverpool were in town) give him a slap from me.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Jan 30, 2020 9:08 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:50 pm
Haven't opened a match thread for a while so thought I'd get this one underway a couple of days ahead of the event.

As David Brent would say, "Shoot". :)

48 hour party people?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jan 31, 2020 1:56 pm

Enoch wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:37 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jan 30, 2020 7:10 pm
Enoch wrote:
F*ck me!

Shocking. I might write to my MP.
Caaall the cops!!

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm

Nothing will change, same poor defending and a none potent attack will all be operational once again. Who knows, we may get a few surprises.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 pm

In November I'd have fancied us to beat this lot easily, now I'm not so sure. Hopefully our players are fresher than theirs and have got that appalling performance on Tuesday out of their system. They've just signed Vaughan. I just hope it's the Vaughan at Sunderland that turns up and not the bloke who was at the Shakers.

2-1 win. O'Grady double
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Fri Jan 31, 2020 9:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 4:21 pm
In November I'd have fancied us to beat this lot easily, now I'm not so sure. Hopefully our players are fresher than theirs and have got that appalling performance on Tuesday out of their system. They've just signed Vaughan. I just hope it's the Vaughan at Sunderland that turns up and not the bloke who was at the Shakers.

2-1 win. O'Grady double
I do love an optimist.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm

Being a supporter, I hope Flicker has driven home the significance of this fixture.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm
Being a supporter, I hope Flicker has driven home the significance of this fixture.
This is a big problem. As we plummet through the leagues, passing clubs we used to scorn or patronise, they seem more up for it than us. But then I suppose that's part of the same attitudinal problem as thinking we are somehow innately superior to Lincoln.

What we do know about today is that the players know they have serious competition for places. That's a far more personal spur to achievement and much more likely to act as a motivator than a relatively unknown grudge between two teams who aren't particularly close rivals in terms of geography or (usually) league position. As random example, is Luke Murphy likely to give a rat's ass about a play-off final played before he was two? Or is he more likely to play up because he doesn't fancy watching the rest of the season from the stands while Jacob Mellis takes his place?

For the vast majority of footballers, rivalries matter far far less than they do to the fans. But they will react to the fans' support, if that support is given.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:54 pm

Don't get it. Tranmere has always been insignificant and ever more shall be so. Doesn't matter whether we're in a pub league or financial distress. They're still of zero significance. Not worth bothering with.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:19 pm

Didn't even realise it was 2pm...

Team's in. Two changes. Bryan for Edwards, COG for Darcy.
bwtr.png
bwtr.png (545.17 KiB) Viewed 5409 times

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:23 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:50 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Feb 01, 2020 12:05 pm
This is a big problem. As we plummet through the leagues, passing clubs we used to scorn or patronise, they seem more up for it than us. But then I suppose that's part of the same attitudinal problem as thinking we are somehow innately superior to Lincoln.

What we do know about today is that the players know they have serious competition for places. That's a far more personal spur to achievement and much more likely to act as a motivator than a relatively unknown grudge between two teams who aren't particularly close rivals in terms of geography or (usually) league position. As random example, is Luke Murphy likely to give a rat's ass about a play-off final played before he was two? Or is he more likely to play up because he doesn't fancy watching the rest of the season from the stands while Jacob Mellis takes his place?

For the vast majority of footballers, rivalries matter far far less than they do to the fans. But they will react to the fans' support, if that support is given.

Oh definitely, but as you note, even though the players won't be emotionally invested in the historic animosity, the supporters will be. And I expect that that same sentiment will seep through a club in the run up regardless, particularly at clubs with a bigger community feel. That in itself could give the match an added edge, and it should be something that's factored into our match preparation, more so now that one of "us" will be out on the touchline.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sat Feb 01, 2020 2:38 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Fri Jan 31, 2020 2:00 pm
Nothing will change, same poor defending and a none potent attack will all be operational once again. Who knows, we may get a few surprises.
3 nil home win then