Day after St Valentines day massacre? Bolton v Wycombe Home, Sat 15th Feb. 3-o'clock.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Day after St Valentines day massacre? Bolton v Wycombe Home, Sat 15th Feb. 3-o'clock.

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:45 pm

Quite a lot of Parky's side didn't meet after game 6 of the season start with no pre-season! Had there been a £13m budget and a pre-season, then I'd have been expecting a lot more off Hill than the target of "try and stay up". Bridcutt hasn't been loaned out to PSG - he's gone to Lincoln, another L1 side which according to your rationale would make him no more than a L1 player. Proctor made most of his appearances from the bench, surely your comparison for Murphy would have to be Madine?

Feels a bit like trying to fit facts to a narrative.

Bottom line for me is I expected Parky's squad to have a realistic push for promotion he did that and succeeded and I wasn't unhappy (with the outcome rather than commenting on style of play).

I expected us with a 12 point deduction, three? senior players on the book in August, clearly not a £13m budget and a set of players that met in September to get relegated and I think Hill will succeed in that. :-)

Whether we come back up next season, I think will depend on what the pre-season looks like both in terms of recruitment and stability - I'll make my mind up what I think should be the target, after I've seen how that pans out, rather than try and set an arbitrary target now, with no knowledge of what that will look like.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Day after St Valentines day massacre? Bolton v Wycombe Home, Sat 15th Feb. 3-o'clock.

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:52 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:45 pm
Quite a lot of Parky's side didn't meet after game 6 of the season start with no pre-season! Had there been a £13m budget and a pre-season, then I'd have been expecting a lot more off Hill than the target of "try and stay up". Bridcutt hasn't been loaned out to PSG - he's gone to Lincoln, another L1 side which according to your rationale would make him no more than a L1 player. Proctor made most of his appearances from the bench, surely your comparison for Murphy would have to be Madine?

Feels a bit like trying to fit facts to a narrative.

Bottom line for me is I expected Parky's squad to have a realistic push for promotion he did that and succeeded and I wasn't unhappy (with the outcome rather than commenting on style of play).

I expected us with a 12 point deduction, three? senior players on the book in August, clearly not a £13m budget and a set of players that met in September to get relegated and I think Hill will succeed in that. :-)

Whether we come back up next season, I think will depend on what the pre-season looks like both in terms of recruitment and stability - I'll make my mind up what I think should be the target, after I've seen how that pans out, rather than try and set an arbitrary target now, with no knowledge of what that will look like.
Yeah my point wasn't so much that the comparison shows Hill is under performing - the circumstances are different as noted.

What I was trying to say is that the squad first half of the season, whilst inferior to that Parky had, was not way off in quality IMO or league experience even (as the stats show). My argument being that Hill was at best hoping for survival because of the situation whereas Parky was expected by some of our fanbase to walk that division.

I think the squad Parky had were promoted in part because he is a very good manager - not inspite of it. I think the squad will go down this time almost completely because of the situation and not because Hill is not very good - though sadly I'm starting to think he's not very good.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm

I certainly don't think the Parky squad got promoted "in spite of" :-) More, "along with."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:14 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm
I certainly don't think the Parky squad got promoted "in spite of" :-) More, "along with."
I think for example were Neil Lennon still in charge there was a very real chance of a double relegation with the same group of players. I think Parky took a club that had slipped league position every year for 7 or 8 years and turned it round. I think that achievement ranks up there with anyone bar Rioch and Allardyce in my time watching them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Feb 21, 2020 5:01 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 2:14 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Feb 21, 2020 1:59 pm
I think for example were Neil Lennon still in charge there was a very real chance of a double relegation with the same group of players. I think Parky took a club that had slipped league position every year for 7 or 8 years and turned it round. I think that achievement ranks up there with anyone bar Rioch and Allardyce in my time watching them.
You had to go and spoil it, with some hyperbole to try and support your contention? :-)

Who's taken us up a Division in my supporting lifetime? Greaves, Neal, Rioch, Todd, Allardyce and Parkinson - 6 managers - would I have Parkinson's achievement in 3rd? I'm not so sure...