Don the tin helmets and Plough on regardless, AFCW (A) 7/3/2020 3pm9

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: Don the tin helmets and Plough on regardless, AFCW (A) 7/3/2020 3pm9

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 9:49 pm
So, a good turn out from the forum today! And I was shown a photo of Bruce (whom I've never met): didn't realise George Clooney was a wanderer. :D

But, the football was terrible, although, strangely, I'm inclined not to blame Hillcroft. If all you have are players who can't pass, control a ball, beat a man etc, then having a system, formation or plan A, B or C is pretty pointless. Everything that happened on the pitch today was a self-contained incident over which a manager could have little or no influence.
Fcuk me I'm even more baffled than I normally am - so these are ALL Hill signings - they can't pass, control a ball, beat a man etc, but it's not Hill's fault, who's at fault then Ken Anderson.

Football was terrible but its not Hill's fault and so on & so on.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:10 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
So, a good turn out from the forum today! And I was shown a photo of Bruce (whom I've never met): didn't realise George Clooney was a wanderer. :D

But, the football was terrible, although, strangely, I'm inclined not to blame Hillcroft. If all you have are players who can't pass, control a ball, beat a man etc, then having a system, formation or plan A, B or C is pretty pointless. Everything that happened on the pitch today was a self-contained incident over which a manager could have little or no influence.
I'm also really seriously struggling with this - why have a manager ?, is it just to hang the shirts on the pegs in the dressing room, silly me thinking a manager is responsible for his signings, style of play & results ! - lets blame the kit man.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:32 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:04 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:

Fcuk me I'm even more baffled than I normally am - so these are ALL Hill signings - they can't pass, control a ball, beat a man etc, but it's not Hill's fault, who's at fault then Ken Anderson.

Football was terrible but its not Hill's fault and so on & so on.

Pay peanuts, get monkeys. I share the concerns about Hill but I recently found out from someone very connected to the club that the terms of the registration embargo mean that when we make an offer to a player we end up - and I quote - "at the back of the queue".

I normally hate the wanky "I've been told by a source" kind of thing, so I've no problem if that's taken with a pinch of salt, but it was relevant to your post so I thought I'd mention it.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:42 pm

Talk to people In the town, in the pubs they think Hill's a Mike Bassett character - seriously no one has a good word to say about him.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:05 pm

Well I thought we played ok ae:)

We were easily the better team in the first half. About even in the 2nd.

I do accept that a (another).season of shite has
significantly lowered my expectations.

My main concern today was our support, the quietest we've been away all season with very few staying to clap the side off. A mixture of apathy and acceptance
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:11 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:42 pm
Talk to people In the town, in the pubs they think Hill's a Mike Bassett character - seriously no one has a good word to say about him.

I talk to plenty of people in the town, nearly all of whom think Hill's time here is destined for failure. I find it hard to disagree, and he's not my cup of tea at all, but irrespective of that we've found it very difficult to attract players of the required quality with the budget we're forced to work with. It's for that reason why I think Hill deserves a degree of leniency when examining the players he's signed. He should be managing them better than he is, but most of the players he's had under him are either average or not good enough. The registration embargo has a lot to do with that.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:13 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:05 pm

My main concern today was our support, the quietest we've been away all season with very few staying to clap the side off. A mixture of apathy and acceptance

On that point, is it true that Hill spent most of the afteenoon sat in his seat?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:10 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:

I'm also really seriously struggling with this - why have a manager ?, is it just to hang the shirts on the pegs in the dressing room, silly me thinking a manager is responsible for his signings, style of play & results ! - lets blame the kit man.

Calm down, Mr Wooster. As I understand it, Hill has little say in the signings, the embargo means we have few choices in who to sign and, as Mr Nich says, we're at the back of the queue for those few players available to us. All of which adds up to a poor quality squad that struggles week in, week out.

Yes, Hill comes across as a strange case, in whom I'd have little confidence if he had a decent side to manage. But, as it stands, our players are crap, so whether we have Hill, Jurgen Klopp or no one managing us is largely irrelevant. That's how low I think we are based on what I saw today.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:37 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:13 pm
is it true that Hill spent most of the afteenoon sat in his seat?
I couldn't see him very well from my viewpoint but he was on his feet, rightly bollocking Politic for his lack of end product after a chance went begging.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:47 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:

I’ll second Harry here. Bolton the better team in the first half and though under more pressure in the second half held out and had a few chances themselves. Shame about the poor finishing but an encouraging performance I’d say. Least you tried to pass it forward which is more then Arsenal did against Olympiacos last week. Laughing at that poor Dons player falling over the hoardings not once but twice in quick succession probably was the loudest I heard the wanderers fans all afternoon though...

Thanks for the last minute ticket BP, I had a great day out.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 08, 2020 9:13 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 11:25 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat Mar 07, 2020 10:10 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:

Calm down, Mr Wooster. As I understand it, Hill has little say in the signings, the embargo means we have few choices in who to sign and, as Mr Nich says, we're at the back of the queue for those few players available to us. All of which adds up to a poor quality squad that struggles week in, week out.

Yes, Hill comes across as a strange case, in whom I'd have little confidence if he had a decent side to manage. But, as it stands, our players are crap, so whether we have Hill, Jurgen Klopp or no one managing us is largely irrelevant. That's how low I think we are based on what I saw today.
If memory serves, he had a little less than a "full window" in the summer. Two days wasn't it? After every other team had been able to take two months. At best, he got what was left...

Bit of a stretch to say "They're all Hill's players" I think we signed anyone we could get.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Sun Mar 08, 2020 10:29 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sun Mar 08, 2020 7:47 am
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I’ll second Harry here. Bolton the better team in the first half and though under more pressure in the second half held out and had a few chances themselves. Shame about the poor finishing but an encouraging performance I’d say. Least you tried to pass it forward which is more then Arsenal did against Olympiacos last week. Laughing at that poor Dons player falling over the hoardings not once but twice in quick succession probably was the loudest I heard the wanderers fans all afternoon though...

Thanks for the last minute ticket BP, I had a great day out.
No worries. Good to see you and all the others there from TW in addition to the legendary Penders!

6/10 for the match and 10/10 for the pre-match Spanish cafe we found. We should have stayed in there!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Mar 08, 2020 12:19 pm

Enjoyed the day out as I wasn't expecting any quality of football or any points, so to get one was better than expected. Standard of football was crap but at least politic was having a good go, and we looked more likely to win it than our very poor opponents. Was one of those games that I had no strong feelings about either way, it just happened!
Was good to meet Domingos and Keysersoze for the first time along with the others.
As for Hill, I neither like nor rate him, but do feel a bit sorry for him because it's turned sour and I think they're just waiting to get rid now.
I think we'll have a new manager and very different squad next season.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 09, 2020 8:46 am

If the argument is we've a lot of poor players then presumably people are suggesting we'd be better if we swapped squads with Wimbledon or Accrington. Which I personally don't think is the case.

There are a lot of mitigating factors - but the worry has to be that with the players we've had throughout the season if you take the good run of 3 wins in 3 league games out of October and November - (with the Plymouth FA Cup defeat breaking it up) we've 2 wins in 20 games following Accrington. I don't really care about the mitigating circumstances because there is absolutely no way we're close to being that bad players wise. Had we won 6 or 7 of those games I'd have a lot more patience and understanding for the mitigating circs. But its a dismal, abysmal run of form and its not IMHO close to what we're capable of. The larger concern is that IF Hill is still here he's built nothing, laid not a single tangible foundation for next season. We're no better off now than we were in August.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:06 am

See, I kind of agree, but not sure the logic of "if you ignore some of the wins from our run, then we've not won many" works!!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:22 am

dave the minion wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 9:06 am
See, I kind of agree, but not sure the logic of "if you ignore some of the wins from our run, then we've not won many" works!!!!
Its not about ignoring it - its a question of our "honeymoon" period under a new manager in effect brought 3 wins in a row - broken by defeat in the cup to league 2 Plymouth. Then followed by the 7-1 at Accrington.

But really my point was lets look at form since Accrington - it is horrendous - relegation form in any season in any situation. And whilst we've had to contend with issues around signings, injuries and the like KH wasn't saying his squad wasn't good enough pre-Accrington was he?

The idea that the form is purely down to "circumstances" is nonsense. We're not so bad as 2 wins in 20. We're not ripping up trees good either - but 4 or 5 more wins in that time would have brought a LOT more patience and understanding.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:25 am

Pub league highlights, anyone? :conf:

May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:25 am
Pub league highlights, anyone? :conf:

Was their "goal" offside? Impossible to tell conclusively from that angle but looked "close" lets say....

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:53 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am

Was their "goal" offside? Impossible to tell conclusively from that angle but looked "close" lets say....
I honestly don't think it is. I've had a few looks and although it is difficult to tell conclusively, I'm pretty sure the lad who 'scores' is onside at the moment the ball's first flicked on to him.
May the bridges I burn light your way

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Mar 09, 2020 11:10 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:53 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Mar 09, 2020 10:33 am

I honestly don't think it is. I've had a few looks and although it is difficult to tell conclusively, I'm pretty sure the lad who 'scores' is onside at the moment the ball's first flicked on to him.

I was stood at pitch level, at the furthest point possible from the play and looking in the opposite direction. It was offside all day long! :D
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!