Tonight's Football

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Tonight's Football

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:17 am

Maybe he does have the right to pick who he wants - though I’d argue he should be there himself rather then leaving the managing to someone else, I think that’s just rude and disrespectful, but as a fan of a club that would definitely profit from a bumper pay day isn’t this how some of the small clubs actually keep in business? Bolton wouldn’t turn down the cash a game against some of the bigger clubs would bring? Not really going to get the same turn out if people know it’s the reserves or youth team they are sending. By all means rest some players but to send out a totally different team? 😕 Not like he knew the replay wouldn’t be when it is. Should have sent out a stronger team to get the job done to start with. There’s very few teams (possibly only Liverpool because they are guaranteed pretty much to win the league) that aren’t that fussed about progressing in the FA Cup.
Oh, had you seen us last night then you'd know that Liverpool's kids are more than a match for our lot. Didn't know that Klopp's not turning up for it - that is rude. Anyway, I don't recall you lot being at full strength however many years ago at Th'Emirates ;)
Some years ago Ian Holloway found himself in lumber with the EPL (or whoever) for fielding an entirely different 11 for a cup game against Villa than the side he'd fielded for a game the previous Saturday. They had an important relegation game coming up and he prioritised that over the cup. In his defence he pointed out that he was asked to name a first team squad of however many players (25?/30?) at the start of the season. Being as he'd done that it was surely down to him (and any other manager) to be able to choose whatever player combination he feels like as that is his squad of first team players?!
I, for one, thought he got absolutely shafted on that one.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 29, 2020 12:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:39 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 29, 2020 11:17 am

Maybe he does have the right to pick who he wants - though I’d argue he should be there himself rather then leaving the managing to someone else, I think that’s just rude and disrespectful, but as a fan of a club that would definitely profit from a bumper pay day isn’t this how some of the small clubs actually keep in business? Bolton wouldn’t turn down the cash a game against some of the bigger clubs would bring? Not really going to get the same turn out if people know it’s the reserves or youth team they are sending. By all means rest some players but to send out a totally different team? 😕 Not like he knew the replay wouldn’t be when it is. Should have sent out a stronger team to get the job done to start with. There’s very few teams (possibly only Liverpool because they are guaranteed pretty much to win the league) that aren’t that fussed about progressing in the FA Cup.
Oh, had you seen us last night then you'd know that Liverpool's kids are more than a match for our lot. Didn't know that Klopp's not turning up for it - that is rude. Anyway, I don't recall you lot being at full strength however many years ago at Th'Emirates ;)
Some years ago Ian Holloway found himself in lumber with the EPL (or whoever) for fielding an entirely different 11 for a cup game against Villa than the side he'd fielded for a game the previous Saturday. They had an important relegation game coming up and he prioritised that over the cup. In his defence he pointed out that he was asked to name a first team squad of however many players (25?/30?) at the start of the season. Being as he'd done that it was surely down to him (and any other manager) to be able to choose whatever player combination he feels like as that is his squad of first team players?!
I, for one, thought he got absolutely shafted on that one.
Oh aye, we have put out weaker teams in the cup and Europa at times this season, you’ve got to have some squad rotation, but not an entirely different first team AND manager. Wenger rotated a lot of players a few seasons ago against Forest in the cup and we got beaten in what was one of our only hopes of a trophy and that was one of the first times I remember questioning whether he was the right man for the job still.

I do see Holloway’s point, I have more sympathy for a smaller team fighting relegation doing that then some multi million £ players holiday jolly being interrupted though.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jan 29, 2020 1:17 pm

I think the reason lower league clubs are kicking off is the idiotic rules for the Johnstone's Paint where we get fined for making more than X changes (for the integrity of the competition) yet in the FA cup, which are huge sometimes existential games for these clubs the big sides can f*ck them off and pay the kids.

IMO its the JPT rules that are wrong but can see why it grates.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Jan 30, 2020 4:04 pm

Klopps only giving it a miss because they were given a winter break and then told they have to play a cup game in the middle of it. In that sense, he's right not to send any of the squad that should be 'on a break'.

Football is faster and more demanding than ever, so a winter break is probably long overdue. I'd be more sympathetic to the argument though if the big clubs weren't campaigning to either extend the Champions league even further or jetting off to the middle east to play a friendly.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 05, 2020 5:35 pm

Anyone see the own goal Sam Ricketts' Shrewsbury scored for Liverpool and find it a difficult watch :lol: ?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:39 pm

Was it better or worse than Sam Ricketts own goal v Blackburn?

Maybe there's something about Sam Rickettses.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Feb 05, 2020 9:56 pm

I'll leave that to your judgement...

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 pm

So relieved! Never thought I’d ever cheer Troy Deeney! Don’t give a monkeys if Liverpool win the league now, they only needed to lose once.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:25 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 8:09 pm
So relieved! Never thought I’d ever cheer Troy Deeney! Don’t give a monkeys if Liverpool win the league now, they only needed to lose once.

They're hardly the Invincibles, are they!

That apart, I seem to remember some folk bristling a while back when Pearson was flagged as a possible BWFC manager. His achievements are undeniable. Whatever he does he knows how to make a silk purse.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Sun Mar 01, 2020 9:21 am

Enoch wrote:
Sat Feb 29, 2020 10:25 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:

They're hardly the Invincibles, are they!

That apart, I seem to remember some folk bristling a while back when Pearson was flagged as a possible BWFC manager. His achievements are undeniable. Whatever he does he knows how to make a silk purse.
It wasn’t just a jammy 1-0 win for Watford was it? Was a pretty thorough beating. Don’t get me wrong, Liverpool are a class act and will win the league by miles and deservedly so but I’m pleased our record still stands. Pearson did a great job as obviously did Graham Stack, Watford’s goalkeeping coach and coincidentally one of our ex keepers during the invincible season ;)

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Mon Mar 02, 2020 9:28 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
I think that Liverpool have been riding their luck for weeks now, and that this defeat was somewhere in the post. Add to that that Watford are now a completely different proposition under Pearson, and that Liverpool were very lucky indeed to beat Watford in his first game in charge, I'm quite chuffed for them.
Will be interesting to see how Liverpool deal with it now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Mon Mar 02, 2020 11:20 am

Thank. F*ck. For. That.

Just need them to drop enough points now that they don't set the points record and I suppose we've salvaged all that's left to save.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Tue Mar 03, 2020 9:36 pm

We know it ain't gonna happen but it would be the funniest thing in human history if they didn't win another game all season.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:10 pm

They looked positively way second class tonight. Chelsea ran all over them second half.I get the feeling Klopp wasn't over disappointed by that result somehow.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Mar 03, 2020 11:46 pm

Is it too soon to call it a wobble :lol:

Realistically I think best case is they go out of the CL to Atletico and they have nothing else to play for for about 3 months and everyone gets bored before it happens.

Less realistically coronaviris cancels the season.

Or meet halfway as theyand Juve get through and draw each other, Scousers get quarantined and their kids funny quite get across the line.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Mar 04, 2020 8:46 pm

On from the past: Interesting to see Sheffield's goalkeeping coach was....Nick Weaver.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:53 pm

Haahahahahahah

Call the league off for personal safety now and we're good I think.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:05 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 10:53 pm
Haahahahahahah

Call the league off for personal safety now and we're good I think.
:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 pm

If you'd told 10 year old me how much I'd grow to love Diego Simeone I would not have fecking believed you.

:D

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:30 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 11:21 pm
If you'd told 10 year old me how much I'd grow to love Diego Simeone I would not have fecking believed you.

:D
I was in Westward Ho! the day Beckham flicked his petulant boot. I warmed to him a tad back then, Rag an' all that.