General Chit Chat

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Re: General Chit Chat

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

I see that due to the current panic buying, ALDI have opened till 3 :)
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:57 am

LeverEnd wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:09 am
Hoboh wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Wed Mar 11, 2020 2:52 pm
I see Harvey has progressed from a zimmer frame to a wheelchair for sentencing. You couldn't make it up.

By the time he appeals, he'll be in a fcuking urn.
:lol: :lol: :lol:
I saw a tweet asking people to refer to him as a rapist, not a disgraced former film producer. They added "it's not like we call Peter Sutcliffe a disgraced former lorry driver". :grin:
What with Weinstien, Roman Polanski and Woody Allen, I'm not sure which is the worst badge or the two...

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am

They've also limited customers to 12 tins of beans, 24 toilet rolls and 1 chainsaw.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:34 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 10:44 am
"Together, we can take care of your money..." :lol:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Mar 13, 2020 11:41 am

As a sign the council are on top of things, today's bins (the black ones) were emptied bright and early. Meanwhile, last weeks cream and red ones still sit enviously by the garden gates almost full to the brims..?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:26 pm

I see the usual suspects are already queueing up to stick knives into the government over it's virus strategy and if things should go tits up every man and his dog will have known better.

Everyone's a critic, wankers.

Hoboh
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Hoboh » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:35 pm

Enoch wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:26 pm
I see the usual suspects are already queueing up to stick knives into the government over it's virus strategy and if things should go tits up every man and his dog will have known better.

'Fraid I'm in the wanker group mate on this one.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm

Enoch wrote:

Like they would do any different in opposition....

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:22 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm
Enoch wrote:

Who are 'they'? An opinionated know-all is an opinionated know-all wherever they lurk and if they're proved to be wrong, as they so often are, you won't hear a peep out of any of them.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Mar 14, 2020 10:33 am

Enoch wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 8:22 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Mar 13, 2020 7:37 pm
Enoch wrote:

Who are 'they'? An opinionated know-all is an opinionated know-all wherever they lurk and if they're proved to be wrong, as they so often are, you won't hear a peep out of any of them.
Whichever party is in power, there would be knives from some quarter. They are those. Hardly unique.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Mar 14, 2020 1:25 pm

Ever the controversial topic that religion is, I'll take my life in my hands (so to speak) and broach it anyway..

Since a faction of current thinking has it that we can make our own rules, believe what we wish and behave accordingly, and there will be no retribution,comebacks or after life, and since that right of belief must also include the opposition, has anybody actually given a thought to God and prayer amongst the current chaos that is our world right now? My own beliefs never have and never will change and that belief has been my strength and has carried me through life, but how strong is the opposite belief right now?

I ask purely in light of what has happened in our world in the last six months and if any beliefs have changed because of it? My own have merely strengthened, since without God, what do we have? Is this some sort of a warning? This is a genuine question, not to cause controversy but clarification.

As a a total aside, a lot of items unavailable at Morrisons, Asda, Iceland etc,today, are on open sale at our local corner shop. How long for, no one knows.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Mar 14, 2020 7:17 pm

Enoch wrote:

Piers Morgan being the most noticeable here. This being a man who claims to be a personal friend of Trump :roll:

Ultimately his beef with the Government is down to their blanket refusal to appear on his inconsequential little telly programme. Before this his ire was directed towards Ginger and his Mrs for the same reason. Clearly the vainglorious prick has a complete inability when it comes down to being able to spot a common denominator
May the bridges I burn light your way

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm

I can't say he caught my attention but no doubt a case in point, Bruce. I did notice, as an example, Jeremy Hunt. One assumes he hasn't been party to any of the decision making process but it didn't stop him seizing the opportunity to get his face back on the tele.

It's not a party political issue, there's no political tenet here. Yet whilst the government consult with any and all relevant agencies, there are a raft of uninformed and relatively uninformed calling foul. As I said, wankers. There's no issue with anyone asking for insight into why decisions have been made; nor with anyone asking why one course of action was chosen ahead of another. Even if someone wishes to put out a reasoned scientific argument as to why they think a different course of action might have been better would stand up but opining from a position of ignorance and suggesting one knows better is beyond the pale.

Almost as stupid as filling a supermarket trolley with bog rolls.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:50 am

Isn't Jeremy Hunt the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee? Who's job is to scrutinize Government Policy on Health issues?

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:00 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:50 am
Isn't Jeremy Hunt the Chair of the Health and Social Care Committee? Who's job is to scrutinize Government Policy on Health issues?

Which doesn't make him an expert and that job is done in the house of commons, not on daytime tele.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:16 am

Enoch wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:00 am
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 10:50 am

Which doesn't make him an expert and that job is done in the house of commons, not on daytime tele.
Of course it doesn't make him an expert. And maybe the 6 years he spent as Health Secretary doesn't either - that'd be the person responsible for running the Health Service on our behalf - There's plenty I could point to his incompetence in that direction. There are plenty of experts saying that Govt Policy isn't going far enough and we should use more social distancing at this stage. I have no problem with them talking about this in the press. I'd rather that, than folks just shut up and pretend everything is hunky dory and we just blindly accept the one version of "what's right" being served up by those in power. Seems to me, that the current policy is to try and defer when the peak is, until the thing they've underfunded dramatically for 10 years is marginally better able to cope. So why not go for a stronger lockdown now? Maybe (the cynic in me says) that has as much to do with economics as preserving life too. I'd want that scrutinised as well.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:19 am

Enoch wrote:
Sat Mar 14, 2020 8:22 pm
I can't say he caught my attention but no doubt a case in point, Bruce. I did notice, as an example, Jeremy Hunt. One assumes he hasn't been party to any of the decision making process but it didn't stop him seizing the opportunity to get his face back on the tele.

It's not a party political issue, there's no political tenet here. Yet whilst the government consult with any and all relevant agencies, there are a raft of uninformed and relatively uninformed calling foul. As I said, wankers. There's no issue with anyone asking for insight into why decisions have been made; nor with anyone asking why one course of action was chosen ahead of another. Even if someone wishes to put out a reasoned scientific argument as to why they think a different course of action might have been better would stand up but opining from a position of ignorance and suggesting one knows better is beyond the pale.

Almost as stupid as filling a supermarket trolley with bog rolls.
I’m no fan of Jeremy Hunt but as former health secretary he will have been extensively briefed on pandemic planning. So I imagine he knows a fair amount.

Questioning the strategy is reasonable it’s how good decisions get made. Screaming about them not doing enough without understanding the science isn’t helpful though.

Over 70s about to be put into a strict isolation for 4 months to protect them. That seems like a fairly strong response.

Where clear criticism is due is the state of the NHS and the lack of ventilators. They are appealing for more to be made yet other countries were stockpiling weeks and months ago.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 am

Oh and the bit about herd immunity....The government expert says 60% of the population would need to get COVID-19 to gain herd immunity. That's around 40m people - even with a mortality rate of 1%, that's a whole host of "collateral damage" if the mortality rate is that low - 400,000 - against "normal flu" where the range is anything from about 17,000 - 30,000 per annum...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 am
Oh and the bit about herd immunity....The government expert says 60% of the population would need to get COVID-19 to gain herd immunity. That's around 40m people - even with a mortality rate of 1%, that's a whole host of "collateral damage" if the mortality rate is that low - 400,000 - against "normal flu" where the range is anything from about 17,000 - 30,000 per annum...
Their argument is that you cannot stop it spreading regardless. It will spread in China again once restrictions are removed.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:42 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 12:37 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Sun Mar 15, 2020 11:44 am
Their argument is that you cannot stop it spreading regardless. It will spread in China again once restrictions are removed.
I understand the argument - the question is do you go for social distancing and hope there's a workable inoculation less than 18 months off...So you get to 60% but rather slower than all at once...