COVID-19/20 season

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: COVID-19/20 season

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 am

Personally I would complete next season after this summer, and turn the rest of into one big feck of Anglo Italian cup,start 21/22 as normal.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 pm

Rum do alert. I've just noticed that the club has taken this month's instalment. How does that work? Have they made any sort of statement on this? Are they actually expecting to complete the season and what happens to our brass if not?
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:40 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 12:31 am
Personally I would complete next season after this summer, and turn the rest of into one big feck of Anglo Italian cup,start 21/22 as normal.
You kiss the lower league clubs goodbye then. We need a proper season as soon as possible to generate income. The premiership is not dependent upon ST sales and gates we are. Some Mickey Mouse nonsense will not do.

Bruce - they did say they would take the payments because the hope is the games will be played. I think in short if they didn’t you could in effect have seen your last BWFC game. If they were to put tickets on sale for next season I’d buy one now to help keep club alive.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 pm
Rum do alert. I've just noticed that the club has taken this month's instalment. How does that work? Have they made any sort of statement on this? Are they actually expecting to complete the season and what happens to our brass if not?

The statement on this can be found HERE.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sun Apr 05, 2020 3:09 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 2:52 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sun Apr 05, 2020 1:02 pm

The statement on this can be found HERE.

Cheers, Nicho
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 pm

FIFA has extended the season indefinitely. This season will finish, somehow and somewhen, then the next one will take place. I don't buy how this kills lower league clubs. Is it something to do with 5G masts?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 pm
FIFA has extended the season indefinitely. This season will finish, somehow and somewhen, then the next one will take place. I don't buy how this kills lower league clubs. Is it something to do with 5G masts?
With what income are lower league clubs paying their squads to keep them until the season can complete? Until season ticket sales can resume there is no income. And then how long will lower league clubs have to assemble new squads for the following season? And with what money?

By insisting the season completes you are in effect asking lower league clubs to support existing salaries for however many weeks it takes to complete the season on no income - especially if as is almost certain you have to play behind closed doors. Given the lower leagues are heavily reliant on ticket sales and especially Season Ticket sales and we know only too well how close to the wind clubs sail as it is I cannot see how delays can be sustained - especially when those delays incur extra costs. And the players at this level need their salaries in many cases just like you or I. So suspension of pay is unlikely to be a viable solution.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 07, 2020 8:59 am

The other thing is there is no way anyone is buying on the day tickets for our lots final games - we’ll all have much better things to do this summer that we have been unable to do for months. Not as important as ST sales - though could these not take place anyway - were certainly in L2 now anyway?

Whookam
Reliable
Reliable

Post by Whookam » Thu Apr 09, 2020 4:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Apr 06, 2020 2:24 pm
I don't buy how this kills lower league clubs. Is it something to do with 5G masts?
:lol:

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Apr 09, 2020 6:28 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... n-56-days/

EFL say the remainder of the season, including play offs, must be completed within 56 days of them saying "Go!". But, no indication of when that might be.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:36 pm

Bearing in mind we’re down anyway and playing behind closed doors will cost us money, why bother?

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Apr 09, 2020 9:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Apr 09, 2020 8:36 pm
Bearing in mind we’re down anyway and playing behind closed doors will cost us money, why bother?

TV rights. We're big in Belarus.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 am

The only reason we will play games is to avoid a points deduction. There’s feck all point renewing any contracts to complete this season...will be the kids again if it goes beyond June. Limit losses.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:00 am
The only reason we will play games is to avoid a points deduction. There’s feck all point renewing any contracts to complete this season...will be the kids again if it goes beyond June. Limit losses.
League aren’t going to allow that. They want the integrity preserved. Andy Holt has nailed it. Will cost a club like us a few million quid we don’t have to go down. And many possibly including us will go under in the process.

But you know the complete lack of realisation that a global crisis dictates extreme responses seems to slip by football. Everything else...cancelled. ‘Football - we will just play on whilst folk die and clubs disappear’.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 am
officer_dibble wrote:
League aren’t going to allow that. They want the integrity preserved. Andy Holt has nailed it. Will cost a club like us a few million quid we don’t have to go down. And many possibly including us will go under in the process.

But you know the complete lack of realisation that a global crisis dictates extreme responses seems to slip by football. Everything else...cancelled. ‘Football - we will just play on whilst folk die and clubs disappear’.

The EFL forced us to play the u18s at the start of the season; why would they not allow (or force) us to do the same at the end of the season if they are the only players available?

I agree the EFL don't appear to have grasped the real-world consequences of the pandemic. Or, if they have, they are putting a gloss on it for some reason almost certainly related to money.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 10, 2020 11:53 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 10:33 am
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 10, 2020 9:25 am
officer_dibble wrote:

The EFL forced us to play the u18s at the start of the season; why would they not allow (or force) us to do the same at the end of the season if they are the only players available?

I agree the EFL don't appear to have grasped the real-world consequences of the pandemic. Or, if they have, they are putting a gloss on it for some reason almost certainly related to money.
I guess the difference is at start of the season we had the players we had. Whereas completing the season means you want existing squads to finish it for integrity of said decision. If we have about 6 players and a load of 15 year olds to play fixtures that otherwise would have had our ‘first team’. See the EFL instruction to clubs to ‘keep paying their players’.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Fri Apr 10, 2020 8:58 pm

I doubt anyone is under any obligation to continue paying folk once their contracts have expired.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:02 pm

Legally the contracts cannot be forced. So each club will need agreement with each player. But that doesn’t mean there won’t be sanctions by EFL if clubs decide to cut costs given it would seriously affect the completion of the season especially in leagues one and two. If the EFL are happy for season to complete with youth team matches then that’s fine by me. But I suspect they won’t be happy with that. Especially as such decisions impact across the whole leagues. Frankly it’s absurd to even be considering playing football in the coming months.

Enoch
Icon
Icon

Post by Enoch » Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:36 pm

I note that according to DSb, a man I don't believe is given to deliberately publishing fake news, we have six players contracted beyond June 2020.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Sun Apr 12, 2020 1:29 pm

Enoch wrote:
Sat Apr 11, 2020 6:36 pm
I note that according to DSb, a man I don't believe is given to deliberately publishing fake news, we have six players contracted beyond June 2020.

We'll smash the Horwich & District 5-a-side league next season.
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!