The Keith Hill out thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The Keith Hill out thread

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jun 12, 2020 10:51 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:51 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Sun Jun 07, 2020 6:11 pm
Remind me: will Hill be out on 30 June?
Looks like it. Iles has him and Flitcroft as goners today. Who’s next?!

Yes, just read Iles' piece in the BN. The writing is on the wall:

"Both Hill and Flitcroft were placed on leave at the start of April and sources close to the pair say they have had little to no contact from the club during lockdown."
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 pm

I may be reading way too much into this, and I may be massively wide of the mark here, however, I feel that Hill was let go around the beginning of April. My simple reasoning for this is that I haven't seen (what I assume to be) the BWFC managerial Audi S5 on the Hill driveway for around 10 weeks now.
May the bridges I burn light your way

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 12:51 pm
I may be reading way too much into this, and I may be massively wide of the mark here, however, I feel that Hill was let go around the beginning of April. My simple reasoning for this is that I haven't seen (what I assume to be) the BWFC managerial Audi S5 on the Hill driveway for around 10 weeks now.
Seems hugely improbable that he would have been let go before it was confirmed the season was over, no?

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 pm

Sent his company car back to save on tax during furlough - a few I know did that.

Writings on the wall I think...

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:44 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 1:32 pm
Sent his company car back to save on tax during furlough - a few I know did that.

Writings on the wall I think...
Yeah, Iles all but confirmed it this morning I suppose.

I doubt many will shed a tear at this news, but the next hire is now extremely important. I know feck all about the managers kicking around at this level, but it seems very likely whoever it is will have their duties largely restricted to coaching rather than being heavily involved in recruitment etc. I would suggest this rules out some of the older traditionalists straight away.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Seems hugely improbable that he would have been let go before it was confirmed the season was over, no?
Well, if he's been furloughed until the end of his contract then effectively yes, he has.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:17 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:08 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well, if he's been furloughed until the end of his contract then effectively yes, he has.
Depends how his contract is - whether it is fixed year or rolling with break points etc....but I expect he's going by the sounds of everything. Hard to feel too sorry for him really - but do worry about how the club manages through this period - feels it needs people who know what they're doing football wise....

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jun 12, 2020 3:34 pm

Hi Gents Re: Hill & Flitcroft has it been confirmed yet or is it still just rumoured ?

Some quite strange rumours going around this afternoon that Mr Alan Curbishley has been at the Reebok today, however its probably just someone who looks like him has been spotted at the Middlebrook !!

Little Green Man
Icon
Icon

Post by Little Green Man » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:06 pm

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:21 pm

Bloody excellent news IMO, they can have my ST money for next year now.

Well done Sharon & the board, hopefully they have used the past 3 months to sound available & interested managers out and discuss potential signings and a plan etc. the next managerial appointment is so important.

Come on you whites.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 pm

Now the guessing begins. I can see an appointment from within as opposed to a new man. David Lee has been linked many times, maybe his time has come.
Personally I'd like someone with good experience, someone that knows the lower leagues and with good relations with other clubs. At least who ever becomes Manager, he'll have a full pre season to recruit plus, the team will engage in pre season friendlies. I'm optimistic.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:25 pm
Now the guessing begins. I can see an appointment from within as opposed to a new man. David Lee has been linked many times, maybe his time has come.
Personally I'd like someone with good experience, someone that knows the lower leagues and with good relations with other clubs. At least who ever becomes Manager, he'll have a full pre season to recruit plus, the team will engage in pre season friendlies. I'm optimistic.
Seems like they want a young manager (from outside club) to work with Tobias Phoenix if Marc Iles is to be believed. If I was putting money on it would be on someone from lower leagues who has a good coaching record rather than managerial one. Focus is on Phoenix recruiting and effectively someone coaching what they are given. Keep in mind that most established managers won’t fit into said setup.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:42 pm

The mad man has gone. In fairness it was an impossible job in some respects...but I think he wasn’t the maN to take us forward and the decision is the right one.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:51 pm

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:18 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Seems like they want a young manager (from outside club) to work with Tobias Phoenix if Marc Iles is to be believed.
That bits quite positive to me. I was expecting Lee to be hired as the cheapest option tbh. The statement from the board also sounded like a club bracing itself for the future, rather than one that thinks it doesnt have one.

It's Phoenix that concerns me more. What's his pedigree in the game other than some random brief connection with Macclesfield of all teams? They're placing a great deal of trust in him
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:28 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:18 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 12, 2020 5:35 pm

Seems like they want a young manager (from outside club) to work with Tobias Phoenix if Marc Iles is to be believed.
That bits quite positive to me. I was expecting Lee to be hired as the cheapest option tbh. The statement from the board also sounded like a club bracing itself for the future, rather than one that thinks it doesnt have one.

It's Phoenix that concerns me more. What's his pedigree in the game other than some random brief connection with Macclesfield of all teams? They're placing a great deal of trust in him
Entirely agree. You’ve got to ask what this guy has that is so special? Kenyon recommendation so I hear. But putting a lot of responsibility on someone nobody had ever heard of before.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 12, 2020 6:37 pm

Yup you can count me on Phoenix - everyone starts somewhere but Macclesfield are a bigger car crash than us. Why does he get such a prominent role at our place?

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:10 pm

Dean Holden?

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Jun 12, 2020 7:31 pm

Macc stayed up.in spite of the crash. In some ways they are a success.
I'm all for giving a new way a go. Hill was a disaster. I'd like to be sympathetic to the situation he's been put in but I've never disliked a Bolton manager more. And the lockdown break hasn't diminished my dislike. It's a personal thing, unreasonable to some degree, but thank fook for that.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 12, 2020 8:56 pm

Impossible job last season but don't let the door hit your ass on the way out.