New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 15, 2020 6:27 pm

Steven Reid, knows the area from playing at Blackburn. Relatively new to coaching and been working in Scotland so might be his first managerial job. Sounds as likely as anyone else at the moment.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 15, 2020 9:18 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:54 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 15, 2020 3:48 pm
Recent news coverage mentioned the 'Rooney' rule that EFL clubs are subject to.
I'd missed that. Chris Powell's gonna be getting a lot of interviews.
And Ian Dennis of the BBC reports Powell is of interest. Too many names right now which means either lots are guessing or we’ve got a very long list.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:18 pm

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 am

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:18 pm
Er... Mauro Camoranesi?

https://www.bt.com/sport/news/former-it ... bolton-job
The plot thickens. We are looking far and wide for a coach with a technical footballing philosophy it appears.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 16, 2020 8:54 am

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:34 am
Er... Mauro Camoranesi?

The plot thickens. We are looking far and wide for a coach with a technical footballing philosophy it appears.
I seriously doubt this. I suspect a few agents are linking people with the job to raise profile. Happens every single time.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:05 am

Er... Mauro Camoranesi?

Surely long odds-on that this is not true?

Steven Reid I have nothing against, but he's severely lacking in experience so wouldn't be my first choice. I think despite our current predicament we should still be more ambitious than giving offers to first time managers.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 am

The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:05 am

Steven Reid I have nothing against, but he's severely lacking in experience so wouldn't be my first choice. I think despite our current predicament we should still be more ambitious than giving offers to first time managers.
My expectations for the coming season are pretty low tbh. I can't think of a better time to take a chance on someone inexperienced who says the right things and has a clear plan and philosophy. Somewhere out there the next Allardyce, Dyche, Wilder is just waiting for their opportunity.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:21 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:16 am
The_Gun wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 9:05 am

My expectations for the coming season are pretty low tbh. I can't think of a better time to take a chance on someone inexperienced who says the right things and has a clear plan and philosophy. Somewhere out there the next Allardyce, Dyche, Wilder is just waiting for their opportunity.
What I'd say though is if we're looking for a head coach type then those are the exact opposite of the sorts of managers we might want.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:06 am

^ I know what you mean there but I suppose it depends on how the DoF is set up.

Someone like Lee, who I'm told is a great coach, I can't imagine him having the necessary gravitas to bang a few heads and kick a few egos in a half time team talk.

By the same token, Allardyce, despite employing several coaches always managed to impose his own style wherever he went. Making his sides hard to break down and well drilled on set pieces.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Branagan
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Branagan » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:11 am

Got to say, the Athletic video on Evatt that DSB posted on Keith Hill Out sold me! He sounds like exactly what we need if we're looking for more of a coach that is going to bring entertaining football (and hopefully success with it). And despite our continued decline It'd be hard to argue Barrow to Bolton wouldn't be a nice step up for him.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:40 am

Branagan wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:11 am
Got to say, the Athletic video on Evatt that DSB posted on Keith Hill Out sold me! He sounds like exactly what we need if we're looking for more of a coach that is going to bring entertaining football (and hopefully success with it). And despite our continued decline It'd be hard to argue Barrow to Bolton wouldn't be a nice step up for him.
I visited Barrow's forum this morning and their fans don't seem concerned. :crazy:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:04 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:06 am

Someone like Lee, who I'm told is a great coach, I can't imagine him having the necessary gravitas to bang a few heads and kick a few egos in a half time team talk.

By the same token, Allardyce, despite employing several coaches always managed to impose his own style wherever he went. Making his sides hard to break down and well drilled on set pieces.
But an Allardyce, Dyche etc wouldn’t work for a DoF. They wanted to run clubs from top to bottom on football side. Not having someone else signing players for them.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:50 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 2:04 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

But an Allardyce, Dyche etc wouldn’t work for a DoF. They wanted to run clubs from top to bottom on football side. Not having someone else signing players for them.
Not now they wouldn't but when they started out I'm sure they would have accepted it if it meant being given a chance. I can't imagine many jobs come up now where a new first time manager has complete autonomy.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:53 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Not now they wouldn't but when they started out I'm sure they would have accepted it if it meant being given a chance. I can't imagine many jobs come up now where a new first time manager has complete autonomy.
I don’t see it personally. Anyone in that mould won’t agree to a setup where there is a moneyball type approach and they get the players handed to them. You need a certain type of coach to fit into that structure. If of course that is the plan.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 17, 2020 10:38 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 4:53 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Jun 16, 2020 3:50 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

I don’t see it personally. Anyone in that mould won’t agree to a setup where there is a moneyball type approach and they get the players handed to them. You need a certain type of coach to fit into that structure. If of course that is the plan.
In reality I don't think there are many clubs operating with a DoF structure where the manager wouldn't still have a strong say in the players coming in. The idea is more that the manager/coach has a lot of the legwork taken away from them when it comes to recruitment so they can focus on the coaching, however, I can't imagine there are many clubs where the manager wouldn't ultimately have to say 'yes' before a player is signed.

Iles in the BEN this morning mentioned that we would be willing to pay compensation for the right person, which is certainly music to my ears.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am

Yeah if that's true it bodes well financially. Also get the impression that after (necessarily) rushing last time they want to build this structure that doesn't require a complete overhaul even when the manager leaves.

I think it must also be true that a manager will have a big say on players coming in. Would be idiotic not to at least consult. I imagine it's another example of the Footbal Manager-ification of football management. There'll be shortlists for every position and the recruitment side, DoF and manager/head coach will get together and rank by priority.

I don't think we're talking the first attempts in English football which seemed to be managers being given players they didn't want and being told off you go.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:01 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 11:49 am
Yeah if that's true it bodes well financially. Also get the impression that after (necessarily) rushing last time they want to build this structure that doesn't require a complete overhaul even when the manager leaves.

I think it must also be true that a manager will have a big say on players coming in. Would be idiotic not to at least consult. I imagine it's another example of the Footbal Manager-ification of football management. There'll be shortlists for every position and the recruitment side, DoF and manager/head coach will get together and rank by priority.

I don't think we're talking the first attempts in English football which seemed to be managers being given players they didn't want and being told off you go.
Rather suspect if you talk to Hill he may say that is exactly what happened....in January.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:58 pm

Perhaps but I imagine that's a consequence of the natural conflict of the set up being built after his arrival. It's not the same as getting in a head coach to with in the system where you appoint them with the intention you'll all be on the same page.

Ricketts the bookies favourite now. I'd be delighted but I suspect that's then following the money rather than any inside track.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm

There was a brief spell under Hill when we played some lovely football and created several chances each match. Under Parky, I'd almost forgotten that football could be like that. Ricketts seems to have a reputation amongst Shrews fans as overly cautious. I'll take winning football over good football any day but it would be lovely if we could have both for once.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 17, 2020 1:58 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 17, 2020 12:58 pm
Perhaps but I imagine that's a consequence of the natural conflict of the set up being built after his arrival. It's not the same as getting in a head coach to with in the system where you appoint them with the intention you'll all be on the same page.

Ricketts the bookies favourite now. I'd be delighted but I suspect that's then following the money rather than any inside track.
I agree with that - you need a connected system. But there is a big difference between Allardyce setting up a recruitment team to his own spec identifying players to his own criteria and deciding ultimately who to sign and a manager being consulted on these things without a final say.

Not saying either is wrong, they are highly dependent on the individuals and how things work. Who knows - Owen Coyle might have been ideal for this system - perhaps as a coach rather than someone spending millions on rubbish he'd have worked out. Same for Sammy Lee. And the other way round, Freedman might have been ideal as a DoF - putting ideas in place rather than having to get players to buy into them.