New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by The_Gun » Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm
I find it curious that we reportedly thought the compensation figure was lower than it is. It can't be written into Evatt's contract as I assume we got our information from his agent, who will surely know the details. That must mean it's just a figure they've come up with, which will presumably be negotiated down.
For Nixon to know this he would need to be being fed info from someone within FV. Colour me sceptical that this is the case.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:04 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 8:48 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 7:36 pm
I find it curious that we reportedly thought the compensation figure was lower than it is. It can't be written into Evatt's contract as I assume we got our information from his agent, who will surely know the details. That must mean it's just a figure they've come up with, which will presumably be negotiated down.
For Nixon to know this he would need to be being fed info from someone within FV. Colour me sceptical that this is the case.
Or the Barrow end? Or Evatt’s agent? Or Kenyon....

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm

I suspect I'm in a minority of one on this, but Barrow had a poor start to the season and were starting to flag before lockdown. In between, they had a great six months. So, Ian (the only under 40 year old Ian I've heard of 😁) just might not be the Messiah. But, I'll back him if he's our manager / coach.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:18 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 9:53 pm
I suspect I'm in a minority of one on this, but Barrow had a poor start to the season and were starting to flag before lockdown. In between, they had a great six months. So, Ian (the only under 40 year old Ian I've heard of 😁) just might not be the Messiah. But, I'll back him if he's our manager / coach.
You'll be perenially disappointed if you're wanting us to get a flawless manager with nary a blip on his resume.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:35 am

TonyDomingos wrote:

Well, you're in a minority of at least two with regard to him being "the messiah", even if that's an exaggeration. His appointment would have me intrigued and hopeful rather than disappointed, but it would also have me slightly apprehensive.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:08 am

nicholaldo wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:35 am
TonyDomingos wrote:

Well, you're in a minority of at least two with regard to him being "the messiah", even if that's an exaggeration. His appointment would have me intrigued and hopeful rather than disappointed, but it would also have me slightly apprehensive.
That's a reasonable enough opinion, but which other (realistic) candidate would have got you more excited?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:31 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:20 pm
Prufrock wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:14 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 4:43 pm
Which I can imagine we won’t be. Feels like we will want Evatt to push this, Allardyce style...when he left Notts County.
When he left Notts County?
Yep, when he quit then took a job at our place. They complained he was poached, we were found guilty and fined but not ordered to pay the Pies any compo.

As Macbeth might have predicted, he then did more or less the same to us to rock up at Newcastle after a strangely recuperative few days off.
Aye, let's hope Evatt fancies spending a bit more time with his family.

Anyway, the story about us making our approach and them demanding £250k has made the BBC gossip column (were still massive) so must be true.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am

Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:01 pm
Whether we have the money will become clear soon enough, I'd say.
Incredible isn't it?! Here we are, hoping to grub-up enough cash to be able to bring in a novice who'll be charged with the task of turning the club's entire fortunes around, for the price of what was once two month's worth of thoroughly wasted wages on Zat Knight. Just as you sow, shall you reap.
May the bridges I burn light your way

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:58 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:43 am
Wed Jun 24, 2020 5:01 pm
Whether we have the money will become clear soon enough, I'd say.
Incredible isn't it?! Here we are, hoping to grub-up enough cash to be able to bring in a novice who'll be charged with the task of turning the club's entire fortunes around, for the price of what was once two month's worth of thoroughly wasted wages on Zat Knight. Just as you sow, shall you reap.
Funnily enough I was thinking last night we're currently, struggling and unlikely to be able to pay 250,000 for a non league manager. When little over a decade ago we'd have not blinked at compensation of 10 times that. And had the club hesitated over such a sum its fans would have all shaken their heads and said 'no ambition'.

In a way its depressing in another a bit liberating. My worry is that expectations are still high and not tempered appropriately by the fact that we're on our arse and unlike most other clubs in league 2 have higher operating costs in the current scenario. A hotel that broke even only just about will be losing money for a fair old while.

Whilst big Zat absolutely is a good poster boy for feckless lumps signed on silly money - I'm not even sure he's amongst the most egregious wastes of money. My blood still boils at the money spent on Sordell who turned out to be an average league 1 at best striker. Yet we spent millions on him. Or on the extravagant wages paid to Petrov only for him to spend most of his time here in teapot pose. Or that fecker Keith Andrews - which was worse as we were not even in the premiership luxury zone at the time!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:36 am

Zat Knight was a bad signing the first time. The second, when we'd already released him, watched him remain unwanted, then signed him back again, was ruinous. That's the same summer Andrews was signed (shortly before his 32nd birthday) on a three-year contract at Premier League wages. The summer that Stan Coyle and Ollie Gartside drew up their plan of zooming back to the Premier League on 2ppg. Anyone ever wondering about a lack of ambition at board level can have a looksee at what happens when ambition o'ervaults itself.

Anyway, back to now. According to some diligent Iles research published this morning, the probably-impending EFL League Two salary cap would take our wages back down to the level of 1994 (and what a time to be alive that was). Weirdly that's good news - partly because we're embargoed, partly because we don't have any Zat Knights or Keith Andrewseses hoovering up the permitted wage bill, and mainly because it surely makes us more likely to be able to afford Evatt, if that's what we think is necessary.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:44 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2020 11:36 am
Zat Knight was a bad signing the first time. The second, when we'd already released him, watched him remain unwanted, then signed him back again, was ruinous. That's the same summer Andrews was signed (shortly before his 32nd birthday) on a three-year contract at Premier League wages. The summer that Stan Coyle and Ollie Gartside drew up their plan of zooming back to the Premier League on 2ppg. Anyone ever wondering about a lack of ambition at board level can have a looksee at what happens when ambition o'ervaults itself.

Anyway, back to now. According to some diligent Iles research published this morning, the probably-impending EFL League Two salary cap would take our wages back down to the level of 1994 (and what a time to be alive that was). Weirdly that's good news - partly because we're embargoed, partly because we don't have any Zat Knights or Keith Andrewseses hoovering up the permitted wage bill, and mainly because it surely makes us more likely to be able to afford Evatt, if that's what we think is necessary.
In the medium to longer term though it massively increases the risk that we end up stuck in league two. If ultimately we aren’t able to outspend other clubs down there then Barrow would have as much chance of going up as we would. In theory.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 12:51 pm

Yeah, possibly. But don't forget we're under embargo. So we ain't gonna be blowing that much cash – or that many clubs out of the water. By that rationale, limiting others is no bad thing: even with wages being level, I suspect we will still have more pull than most in the division.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm

A not very reliable site suggesting we're after Darren Moore if Evatt falls through. With Moore still being Donny manager, I hope this pulls off the delightful double of beating down Barrow's asking price while also trolling Donny.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:07 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2020 1:50 pm
A not very reliable site suggesting we're after Darren Moore if Evatt falls through. With Moore still being Donny manager, I hope this pulls off the delightful double of beating down Barrow's asking price while also trolling Donny.
Maybe we should try and give it more credence, just to piss them off...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:10 pm

I've heard off a mate that Moore thinks Donny smells of wee

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:12 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:10 pm
Wonderful. I like all the Osmonds except for one.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:25 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2020 6:10 pm
He said he’d crawl here over broken glass whilst swimming through a piranha infested lake just to get away from Doncaster. Sharons sorting the deets - when he gets here deal will be called off at the last minute.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 pm

Iles: “ No agreement (yet) on Evatt. Still a lot of mixed opinion behind scenes on whether Bolton can/will pay Barrow what they want. And the wait goes on... As for when it gets sorted? Genuinely don't know. How long to Bolton wait? I don't think the £250k fee is right. I really don't. There is definite haggling going on.“

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 25, 2020 10:14 pm

Thu Jun 25, 2020 9:27 pm
Iles: “ No agreement (yet) on Evatt. Still a lot of mixed opinion behind scenes on whether Bolton can/will pay Barrow what they want. And the wait goes on... As for when it gets sorted? Genuinely don't know. How long to Bolton wait? I don't think the £250k fee is right. I really don't. There is definite haggling going on.“
Or as my grandad would have said ‘we’ve na got two ha’pennys t’rub targether lad’...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 26, 2020 7:45 am

I suspect they want to pay it when we get season ticket money in.