New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:10 pm

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/news/18 ... ow-barrow/
An end may finally be in sight...

The Bolton News understands an important step has been taken in negotiations this afternoon...

A dispute emerged between Wanderers and Barrow over the interpretation of clauses in Evatt’s contract...

We have learned that the asking price for the manager and his assistant Peter Atherton was never that high [£250k], and that the wording of his contract was the root cause of the disagreement...

And with some headway being made in negotiations, it is now hoped Wanderers will get a chance to speak officially to Evatt in the near future about personal terms.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 26, 2020 5:31 pm

Be like match day for every opponent this season I’m afraid - they assume it’s Bertie big bollocks BWFC and fancy having a pop back...

‘Club negotiates manager compensation’ isn’t as good a headline.

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Fri Jun 26, 2020 6:24 pm

Evatt is very well acquainted the highest/most prolific scorer in non league football - who has q £50k release clause in his contract.
36 goals in 32 games Tunde - at that price someone can take a punt on a non league goal machine.
Pity its not going to be us - as we are not allowed to pay transfer fees.

But Evatt knows the market we can afford to fish in very well.
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:13 pm

Nicko Nixon claims we've sorted the deal for Evatt and all his backroom staff. Good news in my opinion if true.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:13 pm
Nicko Nixon claims we've sorted the deal for Evatt and all his backroom staff. Good news in my opinion if true.
Lets hope so - it would be excellent news, everything that I've heard about him in the past week or so and his football philosophy gives me hope that he can be the start of something good at Bolton.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:25 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Lets hope so - it would be excellent news, everything that I've heard about him in the past week or so and his football philosophy gives me hope that he can be the start of something good at Bolton.
And if he comes I can guarantee that within 2 months of the season starting you will have postedcalling for his head. Its just a nailed on certainty. :wink:

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:43 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
And if he comes I can guarantee that within 2 months of the season starting you will have postedcalling for his head. Its just a nailed on certainty. :wink:
Absolutely not squire I think that you may have mistaken me for someone else, I like everything that I hear about Evatt and he will need to be given some slack and given some time, but I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what he can do.

With you being Mr know it all and with you saying that its a nailed on certainty & also a guarantee within 2 months, would you like to put your money were your mouth is and have a charity wager (£50 ?).

Evatt is exactly the type of modern progressive manager that we need.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:49 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:43 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 1:33 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Absolutely not squire I think that you may have mistaken me for someone else, I like everything that I hear about Evatt and he will need to be given some slack and given some time, but I'm honestly looking forward to seeing what he can do.

With you being Mr know it all and with you saying that its a nailed on certainty & also a guarantee within 2 months, would you like to put your money were your mouth is and have a charity wager (£50 ?).

Evatt is exactly the type of modern progressive manager that we need.
We'll see. I'm not engaging with a bet for something you can obviously control and I was being tongue in cheek - but I agree he needs time - and that is likely to be 2 years to start to turn this tanker around. I hope that assuming he does arrive that he is given proper time and even if we have a terrible start that people remember they were keen on his appointment in the first place and let a manager have years not weeks.

But I'll not hold my breath in general.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:19 pm

A (long) podcast, including interview, from the same people who produced the truncated video version...

...of the Athletic tactical overview that I reposted on the opening page of this thread.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1579893/2020/ ... guardiola/

I'm not going to rip and post that article – The Athletic subscriptions are currently on offer at £3 a month – but here's some quotes that lightened my heart.

Ian Evatt:
We’ve scored some good goals. One of them was after 24 passes. And we had another where every player touched the ball before it went in the net.
The keeper has it. He rolls it out to the middle of the three centre-halves, who steps out and raps a pass through the lines into the forward, who has come deep and rotated with the midfield player. He then switches play out to our left-sided centre-half, who has stepped in. Our left wing-back then makes a flat run behind their right-back and the ball gets threaded in behind and he plays a square pass, and Dior misses from two yards out.
If we’re not winning the ball back in six seconds, there’s something going wrong. Especially at this level. No disrespect but the more pressure you’ve got on the ball, the more people struggle with it.
We inherited a club where the connection with the fans was completely gone. They’d just survived the previous season, the crowds were low, the style of football was route one at best. And then we came in with this new philosophy and only four players, so we had to recruit a whole team in July.
The first training session, we couldn’t string three or four passes together; it was frantic. But then, six weeks later, we’re scoring goals when it’s 24 or 25 passes.
What is football? What do you believe in? I believe that football is there as an entertainment industry. Supporters work hard, 9-5, five or six days a week, to be able to afford to come to football. If my team are just going to set up to win games by set pieces and long balls, it’s not what I would want to spend my hard-earned money to watch.
I don’t believe there are any footballers brought up to be physical, play for set pieces, direct. Nobody sets out to play that way. People do it because they think it gets them results. It might be OK for some teams and some managers to put up with that. I couldn’t sleep at night if I was going about trying to win football matches that way. I want my teams to be possession-based, attacking and free-scoring.
Regardless of what the opposition do [when Barrow have a goal-kick], whether they’re pressing high or not, my players have to show [for the ball]. Then, it comes down to decisions.

If teams do commit bodies to stop us playing out, we will try and be brave, even if it means using the keeper [to create an overload] or the midfield players rotating. But we have this set plan where we [the three centre-halves] will go into the six-yard box as you are allowed to do now and the wing-backs will then stay high and wide.

The midfield players will probably suck their midfield players in towards our goal if they’re going man-for-man and pressing high, and then we’ve got that opportunity to go bang, straight into Quigs [striker Scott Quigley], a bit like Ederson does with [Sergio] Aguero at times. And then, it’s more or less four-v-four. But our structure, how we look to play out, is non-negotiable.
At half-time, our players have to run in. That’s non-negotiable. It sends that mental message that we’re relentless.
Lewis Duckmanton, Barrow’s analyst and goalkeeping coach:
The average percentage of possession for us this season is 59. Average number of passes is 507. The highest possession in a game was 81 per cent. We’ve got the best ball recovery time in the league, the most passes per match and the highest time of ball being in play.
There's more, lots more, in that article. Here's hoping.

Riviman
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Riviman » Mon Jun 29, 2020 3:33 pm

I feel reborn !!!! No more confussion

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:19 pm

A (long) podcast, including interview, from the same people who produced the truncated video version...

...of the Athletic tactical overview that I reposted on the opening page of this thread.

https://theathletic.co.uk/1579893/2020/ ... guardiola/

I'm not going to rip and post that article – The Athletic subscriptions are currently on offer at £3 a month – but here's some quotes that lightened my heart.

Ian Evatt:
We’ve scored some good goals. One of them was after 24 passes. And we had another where every player touched the ball before it went in the net.
The keeper has it. He rolls it out to the middle of the three centre-halves, who steps out and raps a pass through the lines into the forward, who has come deep and rotated with the midfield player. He then switches play out to our left-sided centre-half, who has stepped in. Our left wing-back then makes a flat run behind their right-back and the ball gets threaded in behind and he plays a square pass, and Dior misses from two yards out.
If we’re not winning the ball back in six seconds, there’s something going wrong. Especially at this level. No disrespect but the more pressure you’ve got on the ball, the more people struggle with it.
We inherited a club where the connection with the fans was completely gone. They’d just survived the previous season, the crowds were low, the style of football was route one at best. And then we came in with this new philosophy and only four players, so we had to recruit a whole team in July.
The first training session, we couldn’t string three or four passes together; it was frantic. But then, six weeks later, we’re scoring goals when it’s 24 or 25 passes.
What is football? What do you believe in? I believe that football is there as an entertainment industry. Supporters work hard, 9-5, five or six days a week, to be able to afford to come to football. If my team are just going to set up to win games by set pieces and long balls, it’s not what I would want to spend my hard-earned money to watch.
I don’t believe there are any footballers brought up to be physical, play for set pieces, direct. Nobody sets out to play that way. People do it because they think it gets them results. It might be OK for some teams and some managers to put up with that. I couldn’t sleep at night if I was going about trying to win football matches that way. I want my teams to be possession-based, attacking and free-scoring.
Regardless of what the opposition do [when Barrow have a goal-kick], whether they’re pressing high or not, my players have to show [for the ball]. Then, it comes down to decisions.

If teams do commit bodies to stop us playing out, we will try and be brave, even if it means using the keeper [to create an overload] or the midfield players rotating. But we have this set plan where we [the three centre-halves] will go into the six-yard box as you are allowed to do now and the wing-backs will then stay high and wide.

The midfield players will probably suck their midfield players in towards our goal if they’re going man-for-man and pressing high, and then we’ve got that opportunity to go bang, straight into Quigs [striker Scott Quigley], a bit like Ederson does with [Sergio] Aguero at times. And then, it’s more or less four-v-four. But our structure, how we look to play out, is non-negotiable.
At half-time, our players have to run in. That’s non-negotiable. It sends that mental message that we’re relentless.
Lewis Duckmanton, Barrow’s analyst and goalkeeping coach:
The average percentage of possession for us this season is 59. Average number of passes is 507. The highest possession in a game was 81 per cent. We’ve got the best ball recovery time in the league, the most passes per match and the highest time of ball being in play.
There's more, lots more, in that article. Here's hoping.
He sounds to me like Sam Allardici...Sam's brother who was Italian and believed in only possession based football.

I always am worried about managers who put a style above results BUT we're in a position to build so less worried this time. Would have been a disaster if he inherited Lowe, Beevers, Wheater etc on big contracts - but that isn't the case now.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm

Results and style dont need to be mutually exclusive as you know. Let's dream big eh?

I agree that we need to give him lots of time and patience though. I think the majority of us have set the bar for next season fairly low, consolidation and the building of foundations should be enough.

I'm excited about his appointment but Tony(?) did sound a note of caution. His Barrow record of poor start, strong middle then slight dip is worryingly reminiscent of a certain Mr Freedman at Palace before we swooped.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:26 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:19 pm
Results and style dont need to be mutually exclusive as you know. Let's dream big eh?

I agree that we need to give him lots of time and patience though. I think the majority of us have set the bar for next season fairly low, consolidation and the building of foundations should be enough.

I'm excited about his appointment but Tony(?) did sound a note of caution. His Barrow record of poor start, strong middle then slight dip is worryingly reminiscent of a certain Mr Freedman at Palace before we swooped.
Of course - but those who are insistent on a certain way tend to find scenarios where they have to adapt or they struggle. So we'll find out which way Mr Evatt goes - assuming he joins.

I remember Sam joining us and telling Michael Johansen he could go because Sam's view was a little lad like him was no use - Sam over time changed his view but it was too late to keep him as Johansen had a deal back in Denmark lined up. But its an example of how Allardyce was pragmatic and adapted and changed across his career.

You look the other way at Bolton and see Owen Coyle who no matter what players he had wanted to play a quick front foot 4-4-2 or variation of it and even when we clearly weren't suited to it, never once was able to adapt.

So I remain wary of those who are so insistent on brand over everything - because teams do get found out and that's when a manager needs to find ways to win in tough situations. On the other hand this club has been crying out for someone to come and stamp a style and signature on it for a while - and its the right time to do it. I just hope it works.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:35 pm

well, the way I see it is that it sounds very different. And god knows we need something different to the last 10 years! Bring it on!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:

Patience will be the watchword for a number of reasons. New manager, new players, new division. Anybody coming in needs time.

Worth noting that while I trust Tony Domingos' opinion and knowledge of non-league, it was a bit more than a "strong middle" between two dips - they won the league, after all. Those three sections were:
• 9 games, 7pts (W2 D1 L6)
• 23 games, 56pts (W17 D5 L1)
• 5 games, 7pts (W2 D1 L2)
...so we're not talking Parky-like repeated streakiness. A bad start, yes, but I think that late dip can be overplayed. Oh for such problems :D
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.40.48.png
Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.40.48.png (398.37 KiB) Viewed 3402 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:41 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:

Patience will be the watchword for a number of reasons. New manager, new players, new division. Anybody coming in needs time.

Worth noting that while I trust Tony Domingos' opinion and knowledge of non-league, it was a bit more than a "strong middle" between two dips - they won the league, after all. Those three sections were:
• 9 games, 7pts (W2 D1 L6)
• 23 games, 56pts (W17 D5 L1)
• 5 games, 7pts (W2 D1 L2)
...so we're not talking Parky-like repeated streakiness. A bad start, yes, but I think that late dip can be overplayed. Oh for such problems :D

Screenshot 2020-06-29 at 16.40.48.png
That late dip would be considered a high point compared to our respective form. 7 points in 5 games? I'd take that for a start!

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm

I admit I was being a touch mischievous when I suggested Barrow's season might not have been as impressive as their league placing implied. Nevertheless, I reserve the right to say "told ya so" when it all goes belly up! :P
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 4:44 pm
That late dip would be considered a high point compared to our respective form. 7 points in 5 games? I'd take that for a start!
Heh, indeed. High hopes but a low bar... :D
TonyDomingos wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 5:04 pm
I admit I was being a touch mischievous when I suggested Barrow's season might not have been as impressive as their league placing implied. Nevertheless, I reserve the right to say "told ya so" when it all goes belly up! :P
Ha! You'll have earned it more than many who'd chime in... :D

For the record, one could extend the late 'dip' to include the previous three games (DDW) - making it three wins in the last eight - but to us poor buggers that still feels like Oliver Twist listening to King Henry VIII complaining that his gout's playing up after that third suckling pig...

In truth, while that run of results is extraordinary, it's more the ethos that excites me. Not just the passing/possession/Pep influence but the stuff about running off the pitch at half-time, about pleasing the fans... I guess he's not alone in calling himself “a modern-day coach with old-school values” but I have to say I like the cut of his jib.

And the fact that he seems to have built a squad from nothing, and he has the chance to do it again here. And, as a longer-term aside, the fact that Phoenix seems to want - and FV are backing him on this - someone who prioritises coaching and well-intentioned football.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm

The quotes sound very promising, and I look forward to see him get stuck in. I do share the reticence based on Freedman comparisons though, he's had a very short spell of success and Bolton has become a graveyard of managerial reputations.
It has to turn at some point and he seems at least as likely to so it as anyone else mentioned.
Also, I see Ryan Lowe publicly ruled himself out, after he'd been... effectively publicly ruled out. 😁
So bring on the new season with me living back up North and getting to more games!!!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:17 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
The quotes sound very promising, and I look forward to see him get stuck in. I do share the reticence based on Freedman comparisons though, he's had a very short spell of success and Bolton has become a graveyard of managerial reputations.
It has to turn at some point and he seems at least as likely to so it as anyone else mentioned.
Also, I see Ryan Lowe publicly ruled himself out, after he'd been... effectively publicly ruled out. 😁
So bring on the new season with me living back up North and getting to more games!!!
Evatt has to know what he’s coming to. Whereas the club we sold to Freedman was not what he arrived into. He was promised money...instead ED wanted to turn taps off.

I’d say that Evatt has more relevant experience than Freedman. Dougie had a squad at Palace that in hindsight was light years ahead of ours. Zaha alone....Evatt had to build from scratch in non league. Which is not far from where we sit.

Any appointment is basically just a guess. Based on knowing nothing really about the candidates and just raw gut feel Evatt was in my view the best fit, but it’s just guesswork. Hopefully FVs judgement will be proven right.