New Manager Thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18002
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:52 pm

BTW Iles says he's "not expecting" any news tonight: tweeted at lunchtime "Told it could be 24hrs..."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26438
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:52 pm
BTW Iles says he's "not expecting" any news tonight: tweeted at lunchtime "Told it could be 24hrs..."
Have to string it out to keep up pretence that we hadn’t hammered out a deal with Evatt already I suppose....

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7354
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Harry Genshaw » Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
So bring on the new season with me living back up North and getting to more games!!!
Well that's next season written off then!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2172
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by TonyDomingos » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:35 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
So bring on the new season with me living back up North and getting to more games!!!
Well that's next season written off then!

It'll be a while before any of us gets to a game!
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2892
Joined: Wed Feb 02, 2011 8:14 pm
Location: Bury

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
So bring on the new season with me living back up North and getting to more games!!!
Well that's next season written off then!

He’s not allowed at any aways. That’s if any of us are!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18002
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Jun 29, 2020 11:16 pm

Well, if (big if) we are allowed to games, one of them will be Exeter - panned in the PO final by Northampton tonight, with a bonus red card for Dean Moxey

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2172
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Jun 30, 2020 9:31 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 9:51 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 8:48 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Mon Jun 29, 2020 6:08 pm
So bring on the new season with me living back up North and getting to more games!!!
Well that's next season written off then!
He’s not allowed at any aways. That’s if any of us are!

BN:

WANDERERS will get a clearer picture today on when they will be able to welcome fans back to the University of Bolton Stadium.

League Two clubs will meet with the EFL this morning to discuss restart dates for the 2020/21 season.

They will also discuss the possibility of bringing back reduced crowds, potentially as early as September, to allow clubs to launch season tickets and begin budgeting for a playing return.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8897
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:09 am

Surely we have the best chance at being allowed supporters in a ground in that league from September? Is that fair? Well we paid for the ground and carry the overheads...fingers crossed we can get in there and be given the chance to give our lot home advantage...

Be nice if we were virus free by then but who knows the way it’s been going recently!

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8354
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am

I exorcised my away hoodoo at port vale so am allowed again now.
Will be getting a season ticket although I'll probably miss a few games wjth a dilapidated house to renovate. More to be supportive at a time like this.
They'll be beating down my door to take it off my hands to watch the total football on show with Jason Pir-Lowe pinging it all over the pitch anyway. Could make a fortune touting it out to football tourists.
...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26438
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:56 am

Man is in the building so I’m told. Hopefully be announced soon now.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18002
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 12:49 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 11:49 am
I exorcised my away hoodoo at port vale so am allowed again now.
Will be getting a season ticket although I'll probably miss a few games wjth a dilapidated house to renovate. More to be supportive at a time like this.
They'll be beating down my door to take it off my hands to watch the total football on show with Jason Pir-Lowe pinging it all over the pitch anyway. Could make a fortune touting it out to football tourists.
On a serious note, this surfaces a thought that hadn't occured: I'd been assuming clubs would sell socially-distanced seats, as per the subs in the games since restart... how would this affect ST holders who've sat together for years? "Bubbles"? What about if you go to the game with a family member? Must your six-year-old sit two seats away?

Not for the first time, I'm glad I'm not in charge.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18002
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:10 pm

Just passing time in a work break, came across this NL stat site https://fbref.com/en/squads/8efa4cdf/Barrow

Now, again, I'm no non-league expert – the squads may be small and the numbers may be typical – but the minutes played suggest a strong faith in (or attachment to, or adaptable use of) a small nucleus of players.

Goalkeeper Joel Dixon played every one of the 3,300 minutes in 37 league games; goalkeepers often do, but seven outfielders also made 30+ starts and another three clocked up north of 2,000 minutes, meaning they were in play more often than not.

Now, in weeks to come this may be seen as early proof of stubbornness or rigidity, and perhaps Evatt will have a deeper pool of players to pick at Bolton. I just thought it mildly interesting, considering they play what sounds a high-tempo game, that they relied on so few players. Then again, if it ain't bust...
>
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 15.04.24.png
Screenshot 2020-06-30 at 15.04.24.png (339.31 KiB) Viewed 1140 times

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8897
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 pm

Sounds to me like you have to be pretty fit to get in an Evatt team.

Bye bye passengers Hobbs and Buckley

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18002
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:17 pm
Sounds to me like you have to be pretty fit to get in an Evatt team.

Bye bye passengers Hobbs and Buckley
Check the age column, too. The odd thirtysomething, who presumably proved themselves, but otherwise quite sprightly.

Athertonian
Promising
Promising
Posts: 258
Joined: Mon Apr 04, 2016 10:18 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Athertonian » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 pm

He wouldn't have been my choice but hey ho what di I know. May have well as brought in Cleggy ex Athy colls manager, he won a few promotions in recent seasons. Hope I'm proved wrong again.

irie Cee Bee
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 627
Joined: Mon Aug 11, 2008 1:55 am

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by irie Cee Bee » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm

Sol Campbell just left Southend along with his backroom staff..mutual consent. Plan B?

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 18002
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:38 pm

irie Cee Bee wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:34 pm
Sol Campbell just left Southend along with his backroom staff..mutual consent. Plan B?
While the timing is interesting, he'd be a long way down the alphabet for me, ICB.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 20228
Joined: Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:51 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by Prufrock » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm

Any ideas on how many of those Barrow regulars are out of contract?

Wouldn't surprise me if one or two pitch up here. They'll all be based locally and they know the system.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 26438
Joined: Mon Jul 09, 2007 4:07 pm

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:54 pm

Athertonian wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:24 pm
He wouldn't have been my choice but hey ho what di I know. May have well as brought in Cleggy ex Athy colls manager, he won a few promotions in recent seasons. Hope I'm proved wrong again.
Have you listened to his podcast? Worth a listen to get a sense of who he is. Very confident and seems to have actual ideas and methodologies to implement them. Whether they work or not - anyone's guess. To me he sounds ambition wise like a young Allardyce - football wise, clearly not. But they share some things - like taking ideas out of NFL and being big into psychology and analytics.
Nobody can be sure about any appointment but the substance does appear here - at the very least.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=G0f1g2693mU

officer_dibble
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8897
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: New Manager Thread

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Jun 30, 2020 4:00 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Tue Jun 30, 2020 3:46 pm
Any ideas on how many of those Barrow regulars are out of contract?

Wouldn't surprise me if one or two pitch up here. They'll all be based locally and they know the system.
What’s the gulf like between the two leagues? Should be quite a bit but it seems like a lot of clubs are pro down there now?

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 8 guests