Haven't Seen You Her-Bi-Vore. Inaugural Meat-ing. Forest Green Rovers (H) Sat 12/09/20 15:00 (Division 4)

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Haven't Seen You Her-Bi-Vore. Inaugural Meat-ing. Forest Green Rovers (H) Sat 12/09/20 15:00 (Division 4)

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:44 pm

So, the time has arrived for yours truly for one, to work his way down the DSB (cheers, Fella ;) ) who's who of our current playing staff. Right now I know roughly as much about Saturday's opponent's players as I do of our own.

From what I've seen from the highlights of our opening two cup games, and from having skim-read some of the posts on here, we look to be 'glacial' shall we say, in the centre of defence, whilst also showing glimpses of both patience and method going forward (please feel free to correct).

I'm not sure if the 'Keegan's Newcastle' ethos is one shared by Mr Evatt, however, I note that Paddy Power are offering odds of 66-1 for a 3-3 draw. That could well be a Fiver well risked, I think. No?
May the bridges I burn light your way

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Haven't Seen You Her-Bi-Vore. Inaugural Beef. Forest Green Rovers (H) Sat 12/09/20 15:00 (Division 4 )

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:54 pm

WTF is a "Division 4" when it's at home. FFS. :-)

I think your summation around "what's gone on so far" is about right. Poor at the back overall, glimpses going forwards (maybe a little better than glimpses) - our three goals have all been pretty well structured. Tuesday, overall, was a "decent watch" especially the second half. Hopeful, if we can sort out the bollards.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Haven't Seen You Her-Bi-Vore. Inaugural Meat-ing. Forest Green Rovers (H) Sat 12/09/20 15:00 (Division 4)

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 10, 2020 1:57 pm

Well we’re scoring a goal more every game but also conceding one more... but I hope Crewe are better than FGR.

I know little of this division but I understand FGR play a wingback system, or at least did last season. As with Bradford, that means we will match up in midfield. Hopefully we’re better man for man but errors have plagued as and need to stop; can’t keep needing three or four goals to win.

FGR lost six of their last nine league games before lockdown, winning just one - but that was at Swindon. Curious team then, perhaps, but so are we. I’d never advise a bet but I’ve heard dafter ideas for less upside than a 3-3.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Haven't Seen You Her-Bi-Vore. Inaugural Meat-ing. Forest Green Rovers (H) Sat 12/09/20 15:00 (Division 4)

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:16 pm

Forest Green's manager is regarded as having lost the dressing room and being in real trouble. They should be in a stronger position than us with a settled squad and plenty of pace in their side - but in theory we are playing them at just the right time.

It might well be one of those where desire makes the difference and our lads have at least shown that they don't let their heads drop, even if they've not shown too much grit. Just on that basis I'd fancy them to fold before we do and for their manager to maybe be gone not long after.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Sep 10, 2020 2:19 pm

Both teams play a 3-5-2/5-3-2.

Both teams lost their League Cup game 2-1.

Both teams lost their EFL Trophy game 3-2.

I’m not quite sure what that means but this will be a tough test and I’m slightly worried. Their standout players Jordan Moore-Taylor and Ebou Adams give them a strong spine - they’re well organised and hard to break down. Slightly blunt up front but if their big target man Jamille Matt takes inspiration from fellow big target man, Mikael Mandron’s performance on Tuesday, we might be in trouble.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:11 pm

I think we’ll ship goals...still on that learning curve. Draw at best on the basis I can’t see us scoring 3 or 4.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm

The Bolton head coach revealed “three or four” players had picked up minor injuries in the midweek EFL Trophy defeat to Crewe. “I am not going to name names but we have probably got three or four who have picked up knocks which could potentially keep them out on Saturday.”

Dunno whether this is "mind games" or a genuine problem. Doyle at one point looked like he was hobbling a bit according to commentary (not sure I saw the same thing).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:03 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm
Doyle at one point looked like he was hobbling a bit according to commentary (not sure I saw the same thing).
Doyle was definitely "walkin' funny", but that was from about 30 minutes in and we didn't take him off. If that was due to him carrying a knock it is bizarre management. I'd come to assume it was just how he moves.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:27 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 4:03 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 3:57 pm
Doyle at one point looked like he was hobbling a bit according to commentary (not sure I saw the same thing).
Doyle was definitely "walkin' funny", but that was from about 30 minutes in and we didn't take him off. If that was due to him carrying a knock it is bizarre management. I'd come to assume it was just how he moves.
Yes - in a "nothing" game, it would've been strange to keep him on for any significant length of time, if he hadn't "run it off"...

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:25 pm

The nearer this gets the less optimistic I am.

1-2 loss.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:27 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 6:25 pm
The nearer this gets the less optimistic I am.

1-2 loss.

Panic fanny.

4-4. I can feel it in my waters.

I will be following from a shepherd's hut in East Sussex. No, I can't believe it either.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:55 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:27 pm
.I will be following from a shepherd's hut in East Sussex. No, I can't believe it either.
Can the shepherd?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
I will be following from a shepherd's hut in East Sussex. No, I can't believe it either.
Hopefully you're not on the lamb...

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 pm

Haven't had my ifollow code yet. Have emailed the to let office with absolutely no expectation of acknowledgement, like the other times I've emailed the useless feck*.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:31 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 7:57 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Hopefully you're not on the lamb...

Are you suggesting I'm the shepherd's crook?
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:13 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 pm
Haven't had my ifollow code yet. Have emailed the to let office with absolutely no expectation of acknowledgement, like the other times I've emailed the useless feck*.
Had to mail them for mine. It came through a couple of hours later.
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Sep 11, 2020 4:11 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 11:13 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Thu Sep 10, 2020 8:19 pm
Had to mail them for mine. It came through a couple of hours later.
WELL BULLY FOR YOU!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Sep 11, 2020 6:30 pm

Just bought the video pass - I dearly hope the home connection's better than I got in Greece in midweek, which took me right back to 56K dialup – and looking forward to the match. I didn't want us to lose either cup game but this is what we've waited for.

Arguably no outfielder is guaranteed a start. Some have impressed in one or other cup match but the existence of alternatives (and absence of consistency) means nobody seems undroppable - up to and including marquee signing Eoin Doyle and new captain Antoni Sarcevic. Ian Evatt's gnomic mention of “three or four” injury niggles to unnamed players may also give him cover to rotate people out for tactical reasons – remembering that he's already played the "horses for courses" card.

Doyle and Sarcevic - arguably the two highest-profile summer signings, which had some raising the bunting on the subsequently dry-docked HMS Piss The League - both played 180 cup minutes, the only outfielders to do so bar George Taft, who now finds his position challenged by Reiss Greenidge. Everyone else was rotated or substituted, and if Evatt wants to make a point about competition for places, he could replace any or all of the ever-present trio.

Greenidge is a fascinating signing; much heralded in private and public, he seems to be the avatar of the BWFC Moneyball system Evatt and Phoenix have worked under. Taft has occasionally lost concentration, if no more so than any of his competitors, but Bolton can't go on shipping five goals per week so it wouldn't be a shock to see Evatt shuffle his pack and elevate Greenidge above Taft in the burgeoning pecking order.

Doing similar with Sarcevic would be a bigger call. The three highest-profile midfield signings were Sarcevic, Ali Crawford and Brandon Comley, who were expected to be the first-choice central triangle with backup from loanee Tom White, young Ronan Darcy (and, pre-injury, Dennis Politic) and recent safe-hands signing Andrew Tutte.

However, Evatt made a big call by excising Crawford for the opener against Bradford, elevating the trusted White and pushing Sarcevic forward to the No.10 role which seemed to match his shirt number better than his ability. Although it gave him the licence to arrive late and score, a la Kevin Nolan, the price was a lack of final-third creativity as the skipper failed to live up to his "Manchester Messi" nickname.

For the midweeker against Crewe, Crawford returned and struggled in the first half, but notably improved after the oranges; notably, and presumably not uncoincidentally, so did Bolton. Promising Twitterer BWFC Analysis noted the change by cataloguing Crawford's "progressive passes", ones eliminating opponents and ending in the sexy half of the field:

Note not just that he got better, but how he did so - more subtle but effective diagonal passing than the possibly over-ambitious first-half through-balls.

Said Twitterer also noted how impressive Jak Hickman was at right wingback, with Beckham-style early crosses aplenty; while Gethin Jones may remain the starter for now – Evatt praised the kid but said he needed more stamina - Hickman could be an effective sub, on Saturday and thereafter, perhaps being preferred against weaker teams.

The same could be said of another midweek sub, Shaun Miller. In truth the Saturday-lunchtime signing smacked slightly of He'll Do, especially after an understandably anonymous late debut that afternoon, but Tuesday's inout was much better: dropping off Doyle and linking with Crawford, the newbie also curled in a delightful equaliser.

That said, Delfouneso has done little wrong so far and - having been brought off for Miller - could be asked to put in a hard-working hour against FGR. A Miller/Fonz duo is another option but it would be wilful to drop the main striker just now, unless he's one of the knock-addled.

The best starting XI is therefore difficult to guess, especially so early into so many Bolton careers - including the manager's. Whether it's Greenidge or Taft to the left of Baptiste or Delaney, it's likely to be Santos on the right of the back three - Brockbank's numbers were high on Tuesday, but possibly because Crewe somewhat targeted him as a weak link after a worried start to his first game for nearly eight months. Personally I'd go Taft-Baptiste-Santos but I understand if the boss rolls the dice.

Baptiste would also get my armband for the day because I'd have Sarcevic on the bench, keeping the busy Comley-White shield in front of that back three and hoping Crawford can link up play behind Doyler and Fonz. Evatt has said that his matchwinners may not be the ones who start, and Sarcevic could represent a forward-thinking replacement for any of the midfield trio - either as a straight swap for Crawford, whose midweek exertions were his first post-COViD to last longer than an hour, or adding a "runner" from deep to pose another question. With Miller on for Fonz, Hickman could be the third sub flinging balls into the box.

Whatever 11 starters he chooses, Evatt knows the phoney war is over: while there are mitigating circumstances, a third (or fifth) straight defeat would hurt more than any other so far, with no midweek chance of immediate redemption. It's time. COYWM.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Sep 11, 2020 7:33 pm

Enjoyable DSB, thanks.

I agree with your 11, but I suspect we will see Sarc start again (unless he is one of the "taken a knock" players). I don't think Evatt will drop his captain before we've even started a league game. I'd expect to either see him try to get Crawford and Sarc working in a three, or bring Crawford off the bench.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Sep 11, 2020 9:01 pm

Great read, Barnetto. Thank you. For me

Crellin
Delaney
Baptiste
Taft
Gordon
Hickman
White
Comley
Crawford
Doyle
Defouneso

I don't expect to see that XI starting. :-)