Summer 2020 transfers

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Post Reply
officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10153
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:44 pm

I don’t think Gilkes is training to play. I think it was another one of Evatts things to say in public that have all worked really well so far!

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:58 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:33 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 6:30 pm
Crellin the clown played 9 games for Chorley and 5 for Fleetwood last season. It was a mega gamble.
I also wonder why Gilks is just 'stepping up his training'? He should be training properly every day if registered. It's amateurish.
On that one, I think there's a difference between outfielders and goalkeepers. They don't need to be as fit, they don't need to know patterns of play etc. I guess he was keeping relatively fit but not really doing the drills, and now he's also doing the drills, getting someone else to fire the balls at him etc.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:04 pm

If I were Evatt I'd not want my job, and entire self-image, reliant upon the abilities of a 38-year-old Matt Gilks. Tough time to be a Wanderer, as ever.

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:24 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:04 pm
If I were Evatt I'd not want my job, and entire self-image, reliant upon the abilities of a 38-year-old Matt Gilks.
The alternative appears to be a drowning kid barely out of his teens. Or, indeed, a teenager he's adjudged not worthy of taking one of seven slots on the bench.

It's not entirely Crellin's fault but nobody's gonna get far with two clean sheets in 15 games.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10153
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:32 pm

Get one on loan.

“Billy Crellins taken a knock in training and it looks like he will be out for up to a month.”

Presumably we would need Fleetwoods buy in. But the alternative is the lads career going down the pan.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:46 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:24 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:04 pm
If I were Evatt I'd not want my job, and entire self-image, reliant upon the abilities of a 38-year-old Matt Gilks.
The alternative appears to be a drowning kid barely out of his teens. Or, indeed, a teenager he's adjudged not worthy of taking one of seven slots on the bench.

It's not entirely Crellin's fault but nobody's gonna get far with two clean sheets in 15 games.
Not good options. Getting twatted by Salford live on Sky might get Evatt sacked, so whatever choices he makes he'd better get them right.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend
Posts: 8865
Joined: Fri Dec 21, 2012 11:18 pm
Location: Dirty Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm

I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.
...

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:00 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.

I agree. I think he's only at risk if it looks like we're in danger of relegation in the second half of the season.

GhostoftheBok
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1162
Joined: Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:51 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm

LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.
Ordinarily, yes. But boards do weird things when there is publicity.

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:41 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.
Ordinarily, yes. But boards do weird things when there is publicity.

They paid a lot of money to get him here and they don't seem to me to be the reactionary type. I think he'll get one transfer window as an absolute minimum.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 2297
Joined: Fri Jul 13, 2007 9:27 pm
Location: Sarf East London

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by TonyDomingos » Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:54 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.
Ordinarily, yes. But boards do weird things when there is publicity.

FV have given him a contract for 138 league matches plus some cup games. He's roughly 10% of the way through the contract; can't see either party calling it a day any time soon.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10153
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:30 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:41 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.
Ordinarily, yes. But boards do weird things when there is publicity.

They paid a lot of money to get him here and they don't seem to me to be the reactionary type. I think he'll get one transfer window as an absolute minimum.
He’s had one?
I think they will keep him - one of the Brittans was quick to big up the project the other week - they want it to work out (like we all do).

However
They will be absolutely shitting it about going down - if we exit the football league that’s business plans and all sorts out of the window. Imagine - one season where they take us over practically relegated in August ends early in the March, and the next season with no fans and barely any income ends in going down? I think he runs a serious risk of getting the boot if it doesn’t pick up soon - you have to allow for the possibility of a shortened season finished on PPG again.

He needs to get a couple more wins in the next month or so IMO or they will can him to get someone in to work with Phoenix for January.

User avatar
Dujon
Passionate
Passionate
Posts: 3284
Joined: Sat Oct 16, 2004 1:37 am
Location: Australia, near Sydney, NSW
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dujon » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:36 pm

Who should keep their fingers out of the selection process? Who has been involved to date, and why? Is Evatt the stool pigeon for the backroom machinations? After all he's officially only Head Coach is he not?

So many questions, so few answers. :(

nicholaldo
Dedicated
Dedicated
Posts: 1095
Joined: Mon Feb 12, 2018 8:23 pm

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:41 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 10:30 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 9:41 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 8:08 pm
LeverEnd wrote:
Sat Nov 07, 2020 7:51 pm
I don't think he'll get sacked for a long time. Too much invested.
Ordinarily, yes. But boards do weird things when there is publicity.

They paid a lot of money to get him here and they don't seem to me to be the reactionary type. I think he'll get one transfer window as an absolute minimum.
He’s had one?
I think they will keep him - one of the Brittans was quick to big up the project the other week - they want it to work out (like we all do).

However
They will be absolutely shitting it about going down - if we exit the football league that’s business plans and all sorts out of the window. Imagine - one season where they take us over practically relegated in August ends early in the March, and the next season with no fans and barely any income ends in going down? I think he runs a serious risk of getting the boot if it doesn’t pick up soon - you have to allow for the possibility of a shortened season finished on PPG again.

He needs to get a couple more wins in the next month or so IMO or they will can him to get someone in to work with Phoenix for January.

I meant one transfer window from now. To try and turn it round.

The_Gun
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by The_Gun » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:02 am

Iles reporting Brockbank will likely be out for 6-8 weeks... 😪

If the LWB situation wasn't desperate before, it certainly is now. I hope the recruitment guru is already sounding out options for January.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10153
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:06 am

We shouldn’t be playing left wing backs. We didn’t have the players for it before and Brockbank being injured has removed the one emergency gap that could have seen us through till Jan.

Play a back four - Santos and Delaney with Kioso and probably the non-leaguer or Jones when he’s back. Three midfielders and Delf\Doyle\Hickman or Ipsgrove.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend
Posts: 7769
Joined: Sun Nov 13, 2005 10:47 pm
Location: Half dead in Panama

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:07 am

The_Gun wrote:
Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:02 am
Iles reporting Brockbank will likely be out for 6-8 weeks... 😪

If the LWB situation wasn't desperate before, it certainly is now. I hope the recruitment guru is already sounding out options for January.
The recruitment guru can steer clear, since his judgement of LWBs is so flawed we gave up on his two summer choices and preferred a right footed centre half there!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

User avatar
Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 19765
Joined: Sun May 14, 2006 4:00 pm
Location: Hanging on in quiet desperation
Contact:

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:15 am

I occasionally remember Santos in a back four, and that's sleep out of the question.

The other problem with switching from back three to back four is that you arguably then require *more* left-footers 'cos there's another slot further forward.

The_Gun
Reliable
Reliable
Posts: 845
Joined: Tue May 22, 2018 9:54 am

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by The_Gun » Sun Nov 08, 2020 10:16 am

Maybe DSB can scout out someone decent at one of the local Prem teams and we can forward the thread over to big Toby P.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal
Posts: 10153
Joined: Sun Oct 17, 2004 9:33 pm
Location: Leeds

Re: Summer 2020 transfers

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Nov 08, 2020 11:07 am

It’s a fair point on Santos. I thought he grew into it though - Harrogate was a back four for example? For me we have two positions we have no adequate player for - GK and LWB. Trying to plug those round holes with the best square pegs!

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 27 guests