Sal-Destroying. Home. Friday 13th. 7:45. On the tele.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Sal-Destroying. Home. Friday 13th. 7:45. On the tele.

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:22 pm

Not looking forward to this one. Plastic mancs being able to claim superiority. The ‘Class of 92’ bullshit. If only we had a proper keeper to give ourselves a fighting chance...

BWFC analysis mon suggested this lot are one of (or the, I forget) highest shot takers in the league. It’s a recipe for disaster with Billy the clown if he sticks with him - and I fear he will.

Doylers back, potential for Isgrove to start as well. So at the top end it’s looking up - can’t see it being goalless like our last sky match anyway.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Sal-Destroying. Home. Friday 13th. 7:45. On the tele.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:32 pm

First match of the season I won't see, cos it's on telly.

Crellin has to be rested for his own sake. Guess that means Gilks or they'll have child protection round.

Interested to see what else changes. Even getting an hour out of Doyler would be a blessing - as long as he doesn't keep dropping back to get involved. Keep him up the sharp end and get players around him.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:46 pm

I will be hiding behind the couch, watching this, and if we lose, hoping that Lockdown 2 is extended a few weeks so people might have forgot when we come out the other side of it.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Nov 12, 2020 1:56 pm

It just shows you how far we have fallen in such a short period of time that I would take a draw at home against Salford, which would be a decent result IMO, but we would have to score 1st to have any chance of a draw.

However, I actually expect to lose 3-1, or possibly even 4-1 as they will shoot from everywhere & Crellin will make at least two glaring mistakes, and Baptiste at least one error that results in a goal. The team needs to roll their sleeves up and battle & fight and give 100% from the start for 90+ mins, but unfortunately I don't think that this team has it in them.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:09 pm

If I try to look at it objectively I actually think the bulk of the team does have it in them to fight - but we have issues that pure hard work and grit won’t solve. The keeper, the lack of anyone to play to a reasonable standard on the left side of the pitch and a true defensive mid. The other issues, like Crawford’s finishing, Baptistes lack of pace, are all workable at this level. But if you concede half of the shots on target you ain’t going to win many games of football.

Personally I would like to see the following team:
Gilkes
Baptiste Santos Delaney
RWB Kioso
LWB Hickman
DM Comley
Sarcevic / Crawford
Isgrove / Doyle / Delf Up top

Hoping square peg round hole Hickman can do a job on the left. And Comley clicks into the role he was signed to do. Not sure Tutte is the answer at DM personally.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:13 pm

He's not going to drop Crellin, is he?

If Crellin starts: 1-3
If Gilks starts: 1-1

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 pm

I don’t hold high hopes for Gilkes if I am honest. The blokes tried to retire, I don’t think he anticipated playing two months worth of football. I’m disappointed we haven’t tried to sign an emergency loan.

I think he may play Crellin Friday and then play Gilkes in the dead rubber trophy game on Tuesday.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 pm

I just saw a Jack Dearden tweet suggesting that Sarcevic is a doubt and Doyle and Jones won't feature.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:09 pm
Hoping square peg round hole Hickman can do a job on the left. And Comley clicks into the role he was signed to do. Not sure Tutte is the answer at DM personally.
Neither is perfect.

Tutte is a much, much more progressive passer of the ball than Comley, who thus far has epitomised the rather safe unpenetrative tippy-tappy side of possession-based football. Without going for Crawfordesque 40-yard Hollywood balls, Tutte plays the diagonal 15-yard passes that get you on the front foot and get a move going, whereas Comley's passes – either through temperament or lack of confidence - have tended to be safer and squarer (but often also intercepted).

However, it has been noted that Tutte seems to have a lot less defensive nous than Comley, who seems happy to sit in the defensive-midfield zone and more aware of runners, even if he can't always track them.

Tutte has started five league games:
W 2-1 Harrogate
D 0-0 Grimsby
D 1-1 Cambridge
W 1-0 Bradford
L 0-4 Orient

Comley has started five league games:
L 0-1 FGR
L 0-2 Colchester
L 0-2 Newport
L 1-2 Oldham (TBF it was 1-1 when he went off... for Tutte)
D 3-3 Barrow

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:37 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:34 pm
I don’t hold high hopes for Gilkes if I am honest. The blokes tried to retire, I don’t think he anticipated playing two months worth of football. I’m disappointed we haven’t tried to sign an emergency loan.

I think he may play Crellin Friday and then play Gilkes in the dead rubber trophy game on Tuesday.
I don't think the EFL's definition of "emergency" includes terrible recruitment. Unless suspended, Crellin may have to be (independently?) assessed as injured, or perhaps suspended – Gilks is registered but presumably they would let us borrow another, given Alexander is so young.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:01 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 2:35 pm
I just saw a Jack Dearden tweet suggesting that Sarcevic is a doubt and Doyle and Jones won't feature.
He'll have (virtually) been at the same presser that Iles was at, and he's now quoting Evatt thusly:
Sarcevic, as I mentioned last week, has been really struggling with a back injury and he isn’t great at the moment, probably 50-50 for the game. Eoin Doyle and Gethin Jones have had slight setbacks, so I don’t think they will be ready either. But it is what it is. We have to get on with it. We have to work hard and pick a team which is capable of beating Salford on Friday.

We stepped [Jones] up this week and he is not quite ready for it. We’ll manage him, continue to try and progress him as best we can, and then maybe next Saturday will be the right time?
https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... ford-city/

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:09 pm

Maybe play Tutte and Comley then? Cue pelters by the Darcy fans!

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:40 pm

I reckon he'll play the below, with a chance of White for Comley and Darcy for Isgrove.
lineup (2).png
lineup (2).png (105.15 KiB) Viewed 2538 times

nelson66
Promising
Promising

Post by nelson66 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:48 pm

We're domed
The Whites Are Going Up 2021 :pissed: :grin:

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:51 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 3:40 pm
I reckon he'll play the below, with a chance of White for Comley and Darcy for Isgrove.

lineup (2).png
This, but I'd put Isgrove wide left and Darcy next to Crawford. Not like we're swimming in options at the minute, except for exchanging traffic cones for concrete bollards at the back.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:17 pm

Seems odd that Sarcevic played in the cup if he was carrying an injury. I reckon he might play.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:17 pm
Seems odd that Sarcevic played in the cup if he was carrying an injury. I reckon he might play.
It certainly does - I'm sure that Evatt mentioned after the Crewe FA Cup game that Sarcevic had been having back problems - therefore why did Evatt play him knowing that the Salford game is more important - seems a bit naive to me.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:28 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
I do wonder if it's smoke and indeed mirrors. I can also see the sense in playing Tutte and Comley but we do recently seem to have been playing "one behind two" rather than "two behind Crawford". Then again, it feels like Isgrove is a winger, so I dunno how he fits in to that formation.
Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:23 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
It certainly does - I'm sure that Evatt mentioned after the Crewe FA Cup game that Sarcevic had been having back problems - therefore why did Evatt play him knowing that the Salford game is more important - seems a bit naive to me.
Earlier this week, Evatt said “Sarce was in a lot of pain over this week and before the game but there was no way he was going to not play. He wanted to play because that’s what he wants. He’s captain of this football club and he’s proud of it."

Given that his captain presumably said he was alright to play, it's understandable Evatt assented. After all, it's hardly like we're drowning in players with the right attitude and aptitude. Only in hindsight does that specific call seem wrong, but I do recall some people saying before the Crewe game that if we pick the "first XI" (such as it is) and one of them gets injured...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Nov 12, 2020 4:50 pm

Smoke and mirrors. Sarce starts tomorrow I reckon.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Thu Nov 12, 2020 6:28 pm

I wasnt optimistic before hearing about Sarc. Now I cant see owt for us.
1-3 loss.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"