The athletics/running thread

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: The athletics/running thread

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:19 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 4:43 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 3:38 pm
A friend has suggested It’s IT band symptoms, it’s a pain in the outside of my right knee.
Hate to break it to you GG, it's also old age. There's very few folk around that can get away without stretching, warm ups and cool downs. There's even fewer that can that have entered into their 5th decade.
Was about to get all indignant about your 5th decade remark when I realised you were right! :oops: :cry:

And cheers AT, kids and dogs can walk themselves tomorrow then if that’s the case. Mrs Burnden paddock will smash me In the Fitbit work week hustle despite my 30k plus step day Monday. Only 17k hobbled today here.

I was going to laugh until I realised I’m well into my 6th decade!

Second day is always worse. I’ll try to nobble Mrs BP, so to speak! 😬

Gentle 5k with Bruce this evening, but sadly not gentle enough to not feel twinges in both thighs and one calf! Bloody old age!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:43 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:38 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
A friend has suggested It’s IT band symptoms, it’s a pain in the outside of my right knee.
Hate to break it to you GG, it's also old age. There's very few folk around that can get away without stretching, warm ups and cool downs. There's even fewer that can that have entered into their 5th decade.
Was about to get all indignant about your 5th decade remark when I realised you were right! :oops: :cry:

And cheers AT, kids and dogs can walk themselves tomorrow then if that’s the case. Mrs Burnden paddock will smash me In the Fitbit work week hustle despite my 30k plus step day Monday. Only 17k hobbled today here.

Gentle 5k with Bruce this evening, but sadly not gentle enough to not feel twinges in both thighs and one calf! Bloody old age!
I’ll have to take the injury prevention advice from those of you pushing 60.

I really think you should let your better half put her feet up occasionally and stop chasing her round the kitchen BP.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:18 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Ain't that the truth?! This evening's warm up was to walk the length of the close, warm down was to walk the length of the drive. Four miles ran and feeling it at the back of the thighs already. There's only myself to blame! :whack:
May the bridges I burn light your way

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:54 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:18 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Ain't that the truth?! This evening's warm up was to walk the length of the close, warm down was to walk the length of the drive. Four miles ran and feeling it at the back of the thighs already. There's only myself to blame! :whack:

Four miles? Where the buggery did you run after I left? For the record, a stroll to Chae’s and back doesn’t count!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 9:43 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I really think you should let your better half put her feet up occasionally and stop chasing her round the kitchen BP.
I can’t get her out of the kitchen just now. Still, I’m not complaining about home made lemon biscuits, rocky road, chocolate cookies, Jammie dodgers and Viennese biscuits. No wonder I’m so bloody slow! That’s my excuse anyway. I’ll send you some if you think it might aid your recovery! 😉

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:04 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:54 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 10:18 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Four miles? Where the buggery did you run after I left? For the record, a stroll to Chae’s and back doesn’t count!
Carried on for a bit to make up Sunday's shortfall :)

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

I can’t get her out of the kitchen just now. Still, I’m not complaining about home made lemon biscuits, rocky road, chocolate cookies, Jammie dodgers and Viennese biscuits. No wonder I’m so bloody slow! That’s my excuse anyway. I’ll send you some if you think it might aid your recovery! 😉
Well like Bruce I clearly now need them for injury prevention purposes. Rocky road I’m pretty sure should help my knee. Just don’t make her walk down here with the biscuit tin.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm

For all your doom and gloom predictions AT my knee is actually much better today On day 2. Even stood up to some stretching and work in Pilates this morning. I guess us younger ones just heal quicker or something? :conf:

(That said i’ll still be using it as an excuse to skive off runs for a bit yet.)

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Dec 16, 2020 1:50 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Dec 16, 2020 12:26 pm
For all your doom and gloom predictions AT my knee is actually much better today On day 2. Even stood up to some stretching and work in Pilates this morning. I guess us younger ones just heal quicker or something? :conf:

(That said i’ll still be using it as an excuse to skive off runs for a bit yet.)
Clearly the aches weren't anything to do with hard work and more a tweak :D

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Thu Dec 17, 2020 5:48 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:18 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 11:00 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:

Well like Bruce I clearly now need them for injury prevention purposes. Rocky road I’m pretty sure should help my knee. Just don’t make her walk down here with the biscuit tin.
It feels like a rocky bloody road every time I go out these days! I’ll put some biscuits in the post, but I bet that greedy postman will eat them before he gets to yours. That’s what happened last time. 🤥

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Fri Dec 18, 2020 9:39 pm

I decided I needed 2 days off with a sore hip. Turned into 2 weeks.
Tomorrow I'll be operating an industrial floor Sander, so I'll be lucky if I have any feet by Monday.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:01 pm

How are your feet LE?

Anyone got any grand athletic ambitions for next year? Mine involve the usual eat less junk food, do more exercise which I will probably fail at before the first week of January is up. I’d also like to see myself high up the age rankings in triple jump as a V40 which was the same ambition as last year but due to Covid didn’t really happen.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:14 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Dec 29, 2020 12:01 pm
How are your feet LE?

Anyone got any grand athletic ambitions for next year? Mine involve the usual eat less junk food, do more exercise which I will probably fail at before the first week of January is up. I’d also like to see myself high up the age rankings in triple jump as a V40 which was the same ambition as last year but due to Covid didn’t really happen.
Managed not to.skin them and my sanded floor looks bloody lovely.
Been doing a bit of Joe Wicks to get my creaky hips ready for running again today.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
How are your feet LE?

And I plan to play up top for Brazil! :D

Gary the Enfield
Legend
Legend

Post by Gary the Enfield » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:44 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Dec 30, 2020 7:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
How are your feet LE?

And I plan to play up top for Brazil! :D
My list of events is similar to last year:

These are races carried over from 2020

Bolton Marathon
Leeds Olympic distance Tri
Ironman UK
Swim Serpentine
London Marathon

In the meantime I've lost

Dambuster Olympic Distance Tri - Business folded no refund
Ride London - Cancelled, no deferrment

So still a full year (if it goes ahead) plus hopefully another couple of local races to get me IM ready.

N.B. all this is, of course, Covid dependant. :|

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Yeah - I had all these in my dairy in 2020 too.

Bolton Marathon
Ironman UK
Swim Serpentine
London Marathon

Bugger of it is, I'm busy in 2021. Drat! :grin:

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 4:24 pm

Bolton Marathon
Ironman UK
Swim Serpentine
London Marathon

I’ve a couple in my diary too. Just haven’t decided which pub(s) I’m watching from yet. 🍺

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Jan 05, 2021 9:43 pm
Worthy4England wrote:

Bolton Marathon
Ironman UK
Swim Serpentine
London Marathon

I’ve a couple in my diary too. Just haven’t decided which pub(s) I’m watching from yet. 🍺
You could join Worthy for the live action in his dairy and give him a hand milking the cows at the same time.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:54 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Bolton Marathon
Ironman UK
Swim Serpentine
London Marathon

You could join Worthy for the live action in his dairy and give him a hand milking the cows at the same time.
Whilst blindfolded. Aye. :D

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Wed Jan 06, 2021 10:30 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 9:54 am
Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Jan 06, 2021 8:15 am
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Worthy4England wrote:

Bolton Marathon
Ironman UK
Swim Serpentine
London Marathon

Whilst blindfolded. Aye. :D
Bah! :-)