Exeter Expects. Exeter City v Bolton (A) - 19:00 - 12th Jan

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Exeter Expects. Exeter City v Bolton (A) - 19:00 - 12th Jan

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 pm

Each to their own. We when equalised at Barrow I yelled so loud I could barely talk for a day.

Goals are exciting. They're also more likely with more shots. That's all.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:00 pm
Each to their own. We when equalised at Barrow I yelled so loud I could barely talk for a day.

We're 17th in the bottom division and 16 of the teams in that division have scored more goals than we have......are you really trying to define this as 'excitement'?

Its the worst season, statistically, football wise, entertainment wise and in just every way since I started watching the club. Our lowest league position in history. Were we some swashbuckling team losing 6-5 or whatever where a couple of solid additions would sort us I could probably go with your 'well its entertaining'. But we're patently and clearly not that. Or close. We're a side scrapping near the bottom of league two scoring the number of goals broadly in line with our incredibly lowly league status.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:19 pm

There is certainly not much excitement with this team, if we are lucky we get 10-15 mins of high tempo, high intensity football out of 90 mins every week, the rest of the time its slow & turgid.

We are seriously under performing by some distance under Evatt, this squad should be a minimum top 10 side pushing for the play offs - not struggling in 17th struggling to score goals and consistently conceding very soft ones. We are now 22 games into the season and Evatt still can't get the defence solid or set the team up going forward to get the best out of Doyle, as I've said before I do think that Evatt is winging it and hasn't improved anything since the 1st few games (apart from putting Gilks in goal).

Both Evatt & the players are seriously continually under performing IMO.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:59 pm

I think this is moving away from the original debate...

I’m still undecided on Evatts brand of football...I don’t think we’ve seen anything approaching like what we were promised but there have been some flashes. We had on Monday what seemed like the perfect (at this level) pair of wing backs, now we don’t have either.

He needs to get a more consistent tune out of a few players (Sarcevic, Crawford, Delfonso, add Lee in now) and I think it could look a lot better. More, shots, more chances, more goals, hopefully...

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:59 pm

I’m still undecided on Evatts brand of football...I don’t think we’ve seen anything approaching like what we were promised but there have been some flashes. We had on Monday what seemed like the perfect (at this level) pair of wing backs, now we don’t have either.

He needs to get a more consistent tune out of a few players (Sarcevic, Crawford, Delfonso, add Lee in now) and I think it could look a lot better. More, shots, more chances, more goals, hopefully...
It would be interesting to know how you think he can now all of a sudden do this, as there has been no real indication that he's capable of doing so over the past 22 games.

Sounds like wishful thinking.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:44 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 pm

We're 17th in the bottom division and 16 of the teams in that division have scored more goals than we have......are you really trying to define this as 'excitement'?

Its the worst season, statistically, football wise, entertainment wise and in just every way since I started watching the club. Our lowest league position in history. Were we some swashbuckling team losing 6-5 or whatever where a couple of solid additions would sort us I could probably go with your 'well its entertaining'. But we're patently and clearly not that. Or close. We're a side scrapping near the bottom of league two scoring the number of goals broadly in line with our incredibly lowly league status.
You misunderstand me. I'm not saying Brand Evatt has been exciting per se. I'm simply saying that having more shots – whoever's in charge, of whatever team – is more exciting than having fewer shots. It's really not that hard to comprehend.

But for the record, I'm still enjoying this season much more than the second Parkinson season, which you insist on reducing to one celebration. That season, lest we forget, we failed to score in 20 out of 46 games. We scored 39 in those games, 0.84 goals per game, which was then the second-lowest average in the club's history. (The bar was lowered the following season.) Only two previous seasons brought fewer wins (per game average: 0.21, or roughly one per month). We lost eight successive games, in which we scored one goal, setting a new club record for successive games without scoring. We went to Burton for the utterly vital second-last game and raised the white flag, not in glory but in abject surrender, registering zero shots on target. It wasn't the first time: we'd also had no shots on target while losing at Middlesbrough (happy Boxing Day, travelling fans!), at Cardiff, at Norwich and, delightfully, at home to 10-man Birmingham. Apart from the last five minutes of the season it was f**king relentlessly bad. So as much as I cried tears of joy after that last game, that season was one of the hardest of my four-decade career following this club – not just statistically, but artistically. There was no joy. No hope. I don't have a tremendous amount of joy now, but I have hope. If you don't, fine. But if you insist on reducing seasons to what happens at the end of them, care to reserve judgement until May or whenever our nearly-extinguished club finishes this pandemic-wracked campaign?

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 14, 2021 7:59 pm

Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:44 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 3:54 pm

You misunderstand me. I'm not saying Brand Evatt has been exciting per se. I'm simply saying that having more shots – whoever's in charge, of whatever team – is more exciting than having fewer shots. It's really not that hard to comprehend.

But for the record, I'm still enjoying this season much more than the second Parkinson season, which you insist on reducing to one celebration. That season, lest we forget, we failed to score in 20 out of 46 games. We scored 39 in those games, 0.84 goals per game, which was then the second-lowest average in the club's history. (The bar was lowered the following season.) Only two previous seasons brought fewer wins (per game average: 0.21, or roughly one per month). We lost eight successive games, in which we scored one goal, setting a new club record for successive games without scoring. We went to Burton for the utterly vital second-last game and raised the white flag, not in glory but in abject surrender, registering zero shots on target. It wasn't the first time: we'd also had no shots on target while losing at Middlesbrough (happy Boxing Day, travelling fans!), at Cardiff, at Norwich and, delightfully, at home to 10-man Birmingham. Apart from the last five minutes of the season it was f**king relentlessly bad. So as much as I cried tears of joy after that last game, that season was one of the hardest of my four-decade career following this club – not just statistically, but artistically. There was no joy. No hope. I don't have a tremendous amount of joy now, but I have hope. If you don't, fine. But if you insist on reducing seasons to what happens at the end of them, care to reserve judgement until May or whenever our nearly-extinguished club finishes this pandemic-wracked campaign?
It’s clearly not just about what happens at the end of it. We beat Villa and Forest at home, had a rollercoaster of emotions at Barnsley and I wouldn’t say the season was a classic or anything but relatively we achieved way above our financial capability. Relatively we stayed in a league where most were spending way way above the levels we could cope with. And we were under embargo. And somehow we found a way to scrap to survival. There was something enjoyable about that. A plucky underdog not being very good but scrapping its way to a slightly lucky glorious escape.

I don’t see anything enjoyable about a manager coming in recruiting the top scorer and players who won promotion and caught the eye telling everyone how amazing the team would be and how anything buy promotion was failure then making excuses after excuse as we sit 17th in the table, not playing any sort of attractive brand of football, not pressing or showing any sort of recognisable shape. I don’t find this in any way entertaining. It’s the pit of existence. The worst of failures. And there is still a second half of the season to save it from being factually the worst season in the clubs history. What a blight that would be.

I’d go as far to say I’ve never, ever ever been as disinterested in my football club as I am now. And Evatt and his brand nonsense and psycho babble conflated with an absolutely unremittingly appalling set of results has achieved that in the main though lockdown has undoubtedly contributed. I hope you’d agree that if the club is turning people like me off that whatever you think of my view or opinion that is not good news.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 14, 2021 8:16 pm

Ha! "The pit of existence" - answer THAT Barnetto! :-)

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 pm

No, I genuinely hope you’re not turned away. I’m genuinely sorry you’re not enjoying it. I’d genuinely love to see you enjoy yourself. After all, I’ve not seen it very often in a decade or so on this site. :D

“Pit of existence” is an interesting phrase. Existence is the key, I suppose. Our club nearly went bust (at which you swore on here you’d never complain again) so I’m glad it’s still in existence ti watch at all. To be honest I’m glad I’m still in existence l, having spent a year writing Jews stories about a world where thousands of people a day are dying and several members of my family have had Covid, but where there’s life there’s hope. We don’t know where we’re going, but that’s part of the appeal. An old Polish saying goes that he who limps is still walking. I’d love to see us run, and I’m sure you would too, but pretty much all I’ve ever known of you is complaining about the scenery.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:22 pm

Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:16 pm
No, I genuinely hope you’re not turned away. I’m genuinely sorry you’re not enjoying it. I’d genuinely love to see you enjoy yourself. After all, I’ve not seen it very often in a decade or so on this site. :D

“Pit of existence” is an interesting phrase. Existence is the key, I suppose. Our club nearly went bust (at which you swore on here you’d never complain again) so I’m glad it’s still in existence ti watch at all.To be honest I’m glad I’m still in existence when thousands of people a day are dying and several members of my family have had Covid, but where there’s life there’s hope. We don’t know where we’re going, but that’s part of the appeal. An old Polish saying goes that he who limps is still walking. I’d love to see us run, and I’m sure you would too, but pretty much all I’ve ever known of you is complaining about the scenery.
Not sure that’s fair really. I was not unhappy in any way when Allardyce was here. Nor to a large extent Megson. Or Parky.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:26 pm

Aye alright.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Thu Jan 14, 2021 9:52 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 6:12 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Thu Jan 14, 2021 4:59 pm

It would be interesting to know how you think he can now all of a sudden do this, as there has been no real indication that he's capable of doing so over the past 22 games.

Sounds like wishful thinking.
Wishful thinking, or hope! Hopefully having a proper left back will help. Kieron Lee to stay fit...

As I said I think this has gone off topic...had he been able to field Kioso and John as wing backs a month or so ago who knows. I don’t know if he’ll get it right, he sounds a bit bonkers, but if it’s a choice between what sounds like the stuff barrow played vs pragmatic protect the point stuff then it’s a no brainer for me!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jan 14, 2021 10:21 pm

Stat of the day from the official site - we've had 192 shots, 44 on target and scored 25 goals (must not be including Exeter yet). So in general terms 87% of the time we have a shot, you've got nothing to get excited about, coz it isn't going in!

Do I get grumpy owd bastard of the day award? :-)