23rd Jan. 3-0'clock Tranmere away; nuff said

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Re: 23rd Jan. 3-0'clock Tranmere away; nuff said

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:01 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 6:53 pm
and we are sleepwalking towards relegation.
That is a real worry now, particularly as we look incapable of putting another run of wins together now.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Athertonian
Promising
Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sat Jan 23, 2021 7:41 pm

I look forward to match day with great anticipation only to be let down. It seems as if the side need to go two goals down to start playing and pressing.

I'm not one for changing manager every few month but, there's something about Evatt that suggests to me that as long as he's here the club will remain in this league for the foreseeable future. I want the guy to succeed but I feel his inexperience will be his failure.

Many are blaming the ref but seriously, we aren't good enough, I keep trying my best to believe we are good enough but that's from the heart.
We have a situation where in Summer the club will be able to recruit players Evatt wants, providing they 're available and if Sharron has any spare cash. Do we keep with him or do we recruit a manager with years of lower league experience , again, providing one becomes available. I'm not convinced Evatt is the manager to get Bolton out of this league but that's just my opinion, there are many Bolton fans who seem to know what's needed to fix it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:54 pm

I haven’t a clue what they need to do. I actually thought we’d made progress last Saturday with the new formation. But it does feel one step forward, two back, a lot this season.

We needed to sign some players in January so we sack the bloke doing the signings and interview people to replace him in...February

We’re crying out for help on the training ground and yet we don’t seem to be making any inroads on appointing new coaches, yet the ‘old guard’ are on furlough. One of the two coaches has to play cos the one keeper we had is as much use as one of those air dancer things they have at a car wash.

Oh and Tafts getting rave reviews at Scunthorpe...we’ll probably play the bloke who can’t take a throw in on Tuesday.

It’s all a bit...amateur?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Sat Jan 23, 2021 9:18 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 8:54 pm
I haven’t a clue what they need to do. I actually thought we’d made progress last Saturday with the new formation. But it does feel one step forward, two back, a lot this season.

We needed to sign some players in January so we sack the bloke doing the signings and interview people to replace him in...February

We’re crying out for help on the training ground and yet we don’t seem to be making any inroads on appointing new coaches, yet the ‘old guard’ are on furlough. One of the two coaches has to play cos the one keeper we had is as much use as one of those air dancer things they have at a car wash.

Oh and Tafts getting rave reviews at Scunthorpe...we’ll probably play the bloke who can’t take a throw in on Tuesday.

It’s all a bit...amateur?

Yep. Baffling isn’t it

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:38 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 5:31 pm
What’s suntan up to these days?
Stop it you'll be upsetting Bruce 😁

(Ps if take him tomorrow over this guy)

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat Jan 23, 2021 10:46 pm

I have a good friend who is a Tranmere fan. He said we battered them for a bit, admits they should've been down to 10, and that the penalty shouldn't have been. Easy to.be magnanimous in victory, but sounds like we were a ref and a Delaney from 1 or even 3 points today.
However these hard luck stories only last so long, and Evatt has run out for me. I dislike him intensely every time I hear his stupid bullshit interviews. FV are clearly banking on him but I have no belief in any of them to get this right.
I'll.be there next season but feck me I'm sick of this useless shite.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:03 pm

Reasonable assessment.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:13 pm

Sounds like a lot of games from about October onwards. Luckily us battering Bradford, Southend, Stevenage and Scunthorpe for a bit got us the points. I hope to god there’s enough in this team to keep our heads above water - we’re second bottom in the form table so due an upturn and we do need some luck, refereeing recently has been awful and today caps it. We need some steel...a no nonsense centre half to partner Santos and/or a Karl Henry type in midfield. Along with a fecking GOALKEEPER!

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:53 pm

With covid and some personal family shit going on, I could really do with the Wanderers bringing some much needed sunshine into my life - The useless tw*ts.

I backed Keith Hill, even beyond the Accrington humiliation, but by the end as his gibberish really started to grate, I was glad to see the back of him. It pains me to think we may have replaced him with someone worse AND paid a fortune for the privilege.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:10 am

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat Jan 23, 2021 11:53 pm
With covid and some personal family shit going on, I could really do with the Wanderers bringing some much needed sunshine into my life - The useless tw*ts.

I backed Keith Hill, even beyond the Accrington humiliation, but by the end as his gibberish really started to grate, I was glad to see the back of him. It pains me to think we may have replaced him with someone worse AND paid a fortune for the privilege.
This is why we're going to be stuck with him for a while yet.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Jan 24, 2021 1:18 am

Idk it's opinions and all that but I thought we were the better side again today. This isn't like Coyle or Freedman where you can't see what the plan is. We were undone today first of all by one of the worst individual performances I've ever seen (and boy is there a list) from Delaney, and a piss poor referee.

People talk about character but I thought they showed it today. Everything going against us and we kept plugging away and could've, should've still got a point.

Arthur surely deserves a start now, and thought Delf had a better cameo (and have an aerial outlet when needed). I'd go them either side of should Doyle.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jan 24, 2021 9:49 am

Watched back all the key highlights / issues from yesterday, Delaney's error for their 1st goal, Delaney getting clattered for the penalty (after the ref initially gave a corner), Sarcevic getting pulled to the ground by their CB - not one of our players look like they give a shit, the Delaney penalty when he literally gets clattered himself our players don't even look at he ref never mind question the decision, the body language is awful - even on the odd occasion that we score most of the players don't celebrate.

There is a real issue with some of these players attitude, do they want to win, do they want to play for BWFC - they consistently show no passion or fight. We start almost every game slow like its a training session, they aren't fired up, they don't want to scrap or get stuck in. Evatt will stay for next season regardless, but surely he needs to target players for next season with winning / leadership qualities, a bit of steel, players who will run through brick walls for him, who will scrap & fight for him - for me we have far to many in this current squad who look like they can't be arsed & who go hiding in games on a regular basis & to get out of this league you need a few fighters in your team who will stand up & be counted.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:23 am

Always hideously horrible to lose to Tranmere – especially (with respect to newer fans) for those of us who lived through that rivalry in the 90s and just beyond, when we were sparring for supremacy on upward paths. Bit nastier when we're on the skids – I must admit toward the end yesterday, against my better angels, I found myself fantasising about someone going straight through Spearing, who hadn't really done anything wrong except be savvier than our lot.

Taking the understandable emotion out of it, LE's magnanimous Tranmere friend may be close to the truth: we suffered from some incredibly questionable decisions and one particular player's calamitous performance. The thing is LE's magnanimous Tranmere friend doesn't have to sit through the same old story week after week: glimpses of promise outdone by idiocy, either collective or individual.

Evatt is casting around for solutions but after a while that can look like desperation. He seems to be losing his stubbornness, both ditching in formation and personnel: Dibble above understandably calls for a "no-nonsense centre-half" but that's what Delaney is supposed to be, as opposed to the supposedly more ball-playing Greenidge or Taft. The fact the latter is now excelling on loan can be seen as another example of Evatt's poor judgement, and personally I'd have kept Taft here, but if he wanted to free spaces in the squad, who the hell was ever going to take Greenidge?

I'm temperamentally optimistic, which some might call naive, but like Pru I don't think we're a million miles away. I worry that Evatt isn't working but I'm not yet ready to give up on it, and I say that having probably already spent more on watching us this year than in any of the previous 23 seasons. (If I haven't yet, I soon will have, at a tenner a pop and the 30th game in midweek.) Some might call that the sunk cost fallacy, and they might accuse FV of similar. The best way to drown those voices is to win - but having only done that once in nine attempts since his five on the bounce, Evatt has a lot of questions to answer.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 10:39 am

Second worst points return over the last ten matches
      One win in nine
        Second worst defensive record in the league over the course of the season so far
          A theoretically tough run of fixtures ahead
            An inexperienced manager under pressure
              The clubs below us about to play each other

Performances have improved slightly of late, but it's a results business and we need to find a way to get results fast. This is a big test for Evatt. I really hope he can turn it round.

Bertie Wooster
              Dedicated
              Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:01 am

I like Evatt for his passion, openness & honesty (its just a pity the players don't share the same passion).

However, its what he's done managerially over his 7 months to date that seriously worries me - he hasn't improved the team in any area in 29 competitive games (apart from dropping Crellin, which everyone else could see was necessary)

Are we any harder to play against, have we stopped conceding soft goals, early goals, are we better defensively, are we more combative or creative in midfield, do we create more chances, do we score more goals, do we now play with drive & intensity for more than 20 mins a game, are we better at set pieces (defending & attacking), do we get more crosses in, does Doyle stay in the box more, is our passing & movement better, are we playing more like he promised in the summer.

I would say no to all of those, for me I can't think that he has improved anything despite using more than 30 players - this for me is the reason why I have little faith in things improving next season. Its not just his fault he hasn't been helped by FV in regards to coaching & the Phoenix experiment has back fired on FV big time IMO, FV are as inexperienced as Evatt is which doesn't help - the only way for me that Evatt gets next season to continue is if the board bring in someone with a wealth of experience to help him, an Ian Holloway type.

officer_dibble
              Immortal
              Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 24, 2021 11:57 am

My gut is Evatts ego is refusing help - bringing Holloway in on a coaching basis would be ideal now. Can’t see it happening.

nicholaldo
              Passionate
              Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:10 pm

I think we're in need of a good, experienced coach, but I can't see Holloway being the answer to any of our problems.

Dave Sutton's barnet
              Immortal
              Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:19 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
              Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:10 pm
              I think we're in need of a good, experienced coach, but I can't see Holloway being the answer to any of our problems.
              Unless our problem is a lack of opinionated gobshittery, which it plainly isn't...

(While we're on the subject, I hear that there's a touch of friction between Holloway and Evatt, dating back to Blackpool when one was the manager and the other was captain. Evatt cites Ollie as a managerial inspiration but more for his attacking principles than on a personal level.)

What is plain, and acknowledged, is that we need more coaching staff. On Tuesday, when the subs are warming up and Evatt's marooned in the stand while Matt Gilks shuffles the defensive deckchairs, the dugout will be occupied by just Peter Atherton and Lewis Duckmanton. It seems that staffing decisions are being held up by the academy reshuffle and Oh Yeah That Pandemic Thing but at the moment we're running a non-league level of staff.

Athertonian
              Promising
              Promising

Post by Athertonian » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:22 pm

Are we asking too much just because we are "Bolton Wanderers"? This is a new adventure for many Wanderers fans who are struggling to come to terms with bottom league footy.
              As I stated in my last post, I do look forward to watching the game only to be let down. Probably my expectations are high which shouldn't be. I find myself getting quite excited when I see a decent move, a pass or even a cross. Maybe this is because such occurrences are seldom few. I feel I'm starved of good football and probably asking too much when I compare the Bolton teams of the premier years. That's how I now think.

I'm probably one for not making excuses like yesterday when many blame the ref for giving a penalty, maybe I'm the only one that thought is was an assault by Delaney and a justifiable penalty given.
              For all the barking and screaming by Evatt from the touchline, his instructions sure fall on deaf ears or, are those players good enough to play how Evatt wants?
              One player Bolton need to keep sweet is Santos. Despite being prone to the odd fatal mistake he does impress me most weeks. This lad is well capable of playing in a higher league. If some higher league club comes knocking, he could become a financial saviour which I'm sure FV will appreciate.

Dave Sutton's barnet
              Immortal
              Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 24, 2021 12:45 pm

First goal is the first thing. Click here for Delaney clattering in to give away the crucial penalty (which the ref initially gives as a corner). Click here for Delaney's second yellow. Click here for Evatt's post-match red. For some reason, the official highlights don't include Manny Monthe - already on a yellow - taking out Sarce as last man and getting away with it.