'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Oh dear, not you again. Home v Leyton Orient - Sat. Jan 30 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: 'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Oh dear, not you again. Home v Leyton Orient - Sat. Jan 30 15:00

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:30 pm

The team looked far more balanced today and possibly a top 8 or 9 league 2 side which isn't saying much to be honest, Santos & Baptiste superb & going forward we had options & opened them up on numerous occasions - Arthur just looks dangerous running with the ball, which is what excites fans. I know its only 1 game but a win really does cheer you up & get you feeling a bit positive.

Evatt is talking about perhaps two signings before the window closes on Monday, one has to be a big mobile centre forward & the other for me can either be a decent goalkeeper or a big 'Faye' type central midfield enforcer - not loans for me though they should be permanent signings if possible or if on loan players who are out of contract at the end of the season who we can sign if they do well - as I said however today was possibly the only time I have seen glimpses of what we could potentially do next season, we looked quite strong & powerful going forward with Arthur & Fonz.

I better make the most of it though, I'll probably be moaning again this time next week - enjoy it whilst you can !

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Oh dear, not you again. Home v Leyton Orient - Sat. Jan 30 15:00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:39 pm

Good to hear, Bertie. Enjoy your Saturday night mate.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:47 pm

I'll find something to pi$$ and whinge about before Tuesday, hang in there, Bertie! :-)

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:47 pm

Interesting to note that Evatt states that two are definitely leaving. Crellin and White perchance? :conf:
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 pm

sonicthewhite wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:47 pm
Interesting to note that Evatt states that two are definitely leaving. Crellin and White perchance? :conf:

He used the phrase "leaving permanently". Terminating their loan agreements prematurely would definitely see them leaving permanently, but there's something about those words which makes me think he means players currently on a permenent contract.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:01 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:
He used the phrase "leaving permanently". Terminating their loan agreements prematurely would definitely see them leaving permanently, but there's something about those words which makes me think he means players currently on a permenent contract.
Yeah, interesting. I wondered if contextually it had come after the idea of loaning out kids (to whom?!) but these are the quotes as the BN published them:
I think it will be (busy), at least I hope it is. It will be last-minute but we’re confident we’ll get deals done – in and out – and I’m looking forward to it. It’s my first transfer deadline day, hopefully Jeff (Stelling) will bring the cameras down and we can have Harry Redknapp in the car park, or whatever else happens. It’ll be exciting. We’re a couple light, there should be a couple coming in and one or two leaving permanently as well.
A reminder that the "permanent" contracts of the following are up in summer: Baptiste, Brockbank, Delaney, Mascoll, Jones, Hickman, Tutte, Isgrove, Miller, Gnahoua. (Plus some kids)

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:09 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:01 pm
Yep all coming back to me now - I was desperate for him to get one then which is why the OP reminded me.
Dibs, you may also be glad to know that thanks to today's win, allied to Southend's two losses and Grimsby's one loss this week, we would now have to lose the next 14 consecutive games to have a lower PPG than our relegation rivals
I would like to know that 👍
The rot stops today 🤞

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Think Mascoll and Hickman would be good bets to leave if it’s permanent contracts. Edwards potentially but he’d need to go to the conference I suspect.

Interesting choice between a midfield enforcer or a keeper Bertie! For me they would be the two I would sign - a strong hold up centre forward is something I think we need as well mind. But that would be off the bench - the other two are straight into the first xi.

sonicthewhite
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by sonicthewhite » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:16 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 6:55 pm
sonicthewhite wrote:

I thought that initially but then I remembered Crellin and White and sort of made it fit :)
Age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill!

And the key to a result is a good :kettle:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Yep all coming back to me now - I was desperate for him to get one then which is why the OP reminded me.
Dibs, you may also be glad to know that thanks to today's win, allied to Southend's two losses and Grimsby's one loss this week, we would now have to lose the next 14 consecutive games to have a lower PPG than our relegation rivals
The rot stops today 🤞
Don't be taken in Dibs, they're only 4 wins off our points total! :-)

Doyle got to 10 for the season today, who was last Bolton player to hit 10 in a season? I think it was Anelka but not sure

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:49 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:02 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
The rot stops today 🤞
Don't be taken in Dibs, they're only 4 wins off our points total! :-)

Doyle got to 10 for the season today, who was last Bolton player to hit 10 in a season? I think it was Anelka but not sure
The Goal Machine.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:17 pm

Forgot about him!

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Sat Jan 30, 2021 8:34 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Given our ability to break the sort of records you don't want in the last decade, I wouldn't bet my marathon bar against us managing the 14 :|

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sat Jan 30, 2021 10:38 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:11 pm
Think Mascoll and Hickman would be good bets to leave if it’s permanent contracts. Edwards potentially but he’d need to go to the conference I suspect.
Don’t think Hickman counts toward the squad numbers due to his age. Might be wrong.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 31, 2021 12:06 am

This is the pissedest I've been all year! COYWM.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:14 am

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat Jan 30, 2021 7:11 pm

Interesting choice between a midfield enforcer or a keeper Bertie! For me they would be the two I would sign - a strong hold up centre forward is something I think we need as well mind. But that would be off the bench - the other two are straight into the first xi.
My money would be on Mascoll and Comley. You'd think someone would give them.a chance for free on a short contract. Doesn't look like Evatt will be. Maybe Scunthorpe will make Taft a permanent as well. Would make their adoring fans happy.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sun Jan 31, 2021 9:27 am

I think Taft will be back here in the summer, hopefully water under the bridge. Can’t see us getting another year out of Baptiste.

Bijou Bob
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Bijou Bob » Sun Jan 31, 2021 11:46 am

Blimey, that was a pleasant Saturday afternoon for a change. My worry is that he’ll now make six changes on Tuesday. We looked robust at the back and I can’t remember them walking through our central midfield at all yesterday, something every single other team has done unchallenged most games so far.

On another note, yesterday brought back a long forgotten memory of playing Orient (Don’t quote me on this, for some reason I’ve spent my entire life confusing them with Luton) around 1978. They ran out to a collective gasp from the Burnden crowd as six of their team were black. Their right winger ran us ragged first half, tore us to bits. Second half, he was on the Burnden side and the racist abuse started. Monkey chants, bananas thrown at the pitch, the full nasty monty. I’ve never seen a player since so badly affected by it. To my eternal shame, I remember feeling terrible for him, but thankful at the same time that he’d gone from world beating to anonymous inside ten minutes.

We might be back in a similar league spot, but at least attitudes have changed significantly, even if it’s only because the EL8 lot hide it well.
Uma mesa para um, faz favor. Obrigado.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 pm

MOTM for me was Baptiste. Kept it simple and solid.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 pm
MOTM for me was Baptiste. Kept it simple and solid.
I mean the dude's on his last legs, but the difference between him and Delaney was remarkable yesterday. Gone were the gormless lumps forward. I don't dislike Delaney and he was in the team on merit but it somewhat undermines Evatt's 'style' (FWIW) to have a center-back hooning it vaguely into the oppo's half every other minute. The line-up was attacking and the emphasis was less on retaining the ball in our half - as Elbo discovered, we weren't shy of stretching them by knocking one over the top – but it felt like there was a plan that wasn't undone by one of our own.