'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Oh dear, not you again. Home v Leyton Orient - Sat. Jan 30 15:00

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Oh dear, not you again. Home v Leyton Orient - Sat. Jan 30 15:00

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:27 pm

I know not everybody likes expected goals - please, feel very free to mention it - but it does amuse me that Nathan Delfouneso had a higher xG yesterday than all of Leyton Orient put together.

And in case you are bothered, yesterday was the season's best xG differential, ie between the quality of chances we had and they had. Our underlying xG numbers have suggested for a while that we should be higher up the table, but when a losing manager claims his side had the better chances he often gets accused of fantasy. Anyway, there doesn't seem to be many quibbles about yesterday, so onwards and upwards.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: 'ello, 'ello, 'ello - Oh dear, not you again. Home v Leyton Orient - Sat. Jan 30 15:00

Post by Worthy4England » Sun Jan 31, 2021 5:30 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 pm
MOTM for me was Baptiste. Kept it simple and solid.
I mean the dude's on his last legs, but the difference between him and Delaney was remarkable yesterday. Gone were the gormless lumps forward. I don't dislike Delaney and he was in the team on merit but it somewhat undermines Evatt's 'style' (FWIW) to have a center-back hooning it vaguely into the oppo's half every other minute. The line-up was attacking and the emphasis was less on retaining the ball in our half - as Elbo discovered, we weren't shy of stretching them by knocking one over the top – but it felt like there was a plan that wasn't undone by one of our own.
As you mention elsewhere, game of opinions :-) Arthur got the nod from me, followed by Santos...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 10:35 am

Sun Jan 31, 2021 2:16 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Sun Jan 31, 2021 1:09 pm
MOTM for me was Baptiste. Kept it simple and solid.
I mean the dude's on his last legs, but the difference between him and Delaney was remarkable yesterday. Gone were the gormless lumps forward. I don't dislike Delaney and he was in the team on merit but it somewhat undermines Evatt's 'style' (FWIW) to have a center-back hooning it vaguely into the oppo's half every other minute. The line-up was attacking and the emphasis was less on retaining the ball in our half - as Elbo discovered, we weren't shy of stretching them by knocking one over the top – but it felt like there was a plan that wasn't undone by one of our own.
I still think you need to place the CB's in context. LO had bugger all up front the CBs were rarely hassled and never under physical pressure - which is where Santos and Baptiste for me both struggle at times when a mobile large unit is up against them. They were comfortable aerially and on the ground. LO didn't really press as effectively as other teams have against us. Hence for me our CB's were flattered.

FWIW I actually think Santos is a really decent player at this level but he needs the right partner - a reader of the game an interceptor type. Because he's your Mark Fish and needs that efficient and cool defender with him.

I'm fascinated into whether we can get away with spreading so wide against better teams - or teams with their fit attacking players which LO didn't have. Because if we can its probably the way to go. The lack of width all season has been a huge barrier IMO. You simply don't walk through the middle of teams at this level unless they are as defensively wobbly as we were in September.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am

For the record - Arthur was my MOTM, but Baptiste and Santos also coped with what the opposition had, which is what we need from them.

As you note, Orient weren't much of a threat, which one can chalk up to our lads' showing, and perhaps to their key boi Wilkinson pulling wide - where the bingo-machine-selected Brocky eventually dealt with him - and quickly descending into a sulk.

I don't think we'll play the same style and formation and personnel all the time, especially in this hectic run of games. And again, when the changes are rung, the manager will be criticised if it fails, and maybe even applauded if it works.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 am

Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:00 am
As you note, Orient weren't much of a threat
I'm quick to criticise, when the defensive unit isn't standing strong to what's in front of them. But they can only play what's in front of them, and that's what I expect them to be able to do. They did that admirably on Saturday - I don't care if Orient were missing 15 players, we limited them to one shot on target which I'm a) struggling to recall and b) struggling to remember Gilks having to save it (Not sure it's even on the "highlights").

Job done.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:34 am

For the record - Arthur was my MOTM, but Baptiste and Santos also coped with what the opposition had, which is what we need from them.

As you note, Orient weren't much of a threat, which one can chalk up to our lads' showing, and perhaps to their key boi Wilkinson pulling wide - where the bingo-machine-selected Brocky eventually dealt with him - and quickly descending into a sulk.

I don't think we'll play the same style and formation and personnel all the time, especially in this hectic run of games. And again, when the changes are rung, the manager will be criticised if it fails, and maybe even applauded if it works.
Yeah it was more a comment on Baptiste and why under the wrong circumstances for me he's still a problem. Especially with Santos.

I don't think we can play the same side every week clearly, but I do think you need some consistency with style. You don't see many sides go 3-5-2/4-3-3/4-4-2/4-2-3-1 in a season. You might have one or two shapes but predominantly I think we need to find a more consistent way to play. For me the ideal is a 4-2-3-1 because it offers a bit of flexibility depending upon the personnel within it. You can have two holding mids or just one or even none and your 3 can include lots of width or a Delfouneso playing as link/support to Doyle which is sort of what happened on Saturday. I don't think these players benefit from constant changes in their roles - they need some consistency. Hopefully we'll be in a place to offer that.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:35 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Mon Feb 01, 2021 11:17 am
As you note, Orient weren't much of a threat
I'm quick to criticise, when the defensive unit isn't standing strong to what's in front of them. But they can only play what's in front of them, and that's what I expect them to be able to do. They did that admirably on Saturday - I don't care if Orient were missing 15 players, we limited them to one shot on target which I'm a) struggling to recall and b) struggling to remember Gilks having to save it (Not sure it's even on the "highlights").

Job done.
Aye
Baptiste and Santos also coped with what the opposition had, which is what we need from them.
:D

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:51 pm

I'd somehow forgotten about this from when they gubbed us at their place.

Magnificent commentary :D
May the bridges I burn light your way

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue Feb 02, 2021 1:54 pm

:lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue Feb 02, 2021 3:47 pm

:lol:
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.