Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Post by truewhite15 » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 pm

Wanderers fail to win, BWFC_I rejoices that his predictions of doom have finally come true and shows it by commenting so much more frequently than when we win. More important to be right than win, eh?

Not quite at the races today, but we weren't a million miles away. Cols came for a point and got it. Needed that bit of magic to unlock them and it never came. Que sera sera.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm

Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:07 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:01 pm
Mar wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:54 pm
I know what you're getting at and I agree for the most part but there's clearly a reason why teams have large squads with talent and rotate and I suspect two games in four days is one of those reasons. I don't think its sustainable for us to attack as much as we can in this match without taking into consideration the Newport game.
When Megson made this point he got hammered and we went and lost the next game anyway. I’m not convinced that today was more than over confidence and not really finding a higher gear but over the past few weeks we’ve done a lot of winning games without getting out of 3rd and for me if we are to go up via any route we need to find 4th gear at least. Our play today was far too slow and ponderous and played right into Colchester’s hands. On Monday we now probably have to win at all costs.
Megson seemed to do that to cater towards Gartside's desire to get out of the UEFA cup as it wasn't a revenue generator which will forever leave me with a distaste for Megson (who plays a B team in the UEFA cup, way to highlight ambition, no wonder we lost against 10 man Wigan the next week).
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm
Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm
When I’ve said in recent weeks that fine margining games was likely to see us unstuck there is never a better example of it than here. Ok we might win this. But our inability to find 4th gear let alone 5th on a good run is of concern. We should be able to steamroller the odd game. Yet don’t.
Aye, you've predicted doom every week, which takes some doing while collecting 35 points from 39 :D
It’s not a case of doom. It’s a case of getting enough points for top 3. We’ve had a great run but never put games to bed. Eventually that can become a problem. We need to play with a higher intensity and in a higher gear sometimes. Run ins demand it as do potentially play off games. And today is a perfect example of one or two things going against you and suddenly that lack of a higher gear costs you two points. And those two points may well be critical.
We're bound to be frustrated by this result and hopefully it doesn't cost us too much in the long run. We didn't do enough to get us over the line today. Hopefully this will be the warning shot to up the tempo for the Newport game and the rest of the season.
History would tell us that Eddie Davies priority (not Gartys though he answered to his boss) of staying up was the right one. A shame that the money ran out and made it subsequently look like the wrong one.

But that’s history. Today was poor so as you say hopefully a big warning shot for the players to step it up and give more urgency.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:12 pm

truewhite15 wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:10 pm
Wanderers fail to win, BWFC_I rejoices that his predictions of doom have finally come true and shows it by commenting so much more frequently than when we win. More important to be right than win, eh?

Not quite at the races today, but we weren't a million miles away. Cols came for a point and got it. Needed that bit of magic to unlock them and it never came. Que sera sera.
You’ve clearly not read my posts much. Nothing to do with being right. I don’t think anyone believes we can go up without finding a higher gear at some point.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:14 pm

Anyway, Bradford have taken the lead agaonst FGR.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:15 pm

Cheltenham 2 - 0 Tranmere
Bradford 1 - 0 FGR

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:15 pm

And Cheltenham are two up against Tranmere.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:16 pm

Hopefully this result will kick them in the arse and make them understand that the season still has 8 games left. We cannot ease off.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:26 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:11 pm
History would tell us that Eddie Davies priority (not Gartys though he answered to his boss) of staying up was the right one. A shame that the money ran out and made it subsequently look like the wrong one.

But that’s history. Today was poor so as you say hopefully a big warning shot for the players to step it up and give more urgency.
Clearly focusing on staying up was the right choice but not committing to the UEFA cup seemed to create disconnect between the players, fans and board. It didn't help the cause.

Anyways, its currently:

Cambridge 1 - 0 Morecambe
Bradford 1 - 0 FGR
Cheltenham 2 - 0 Tranmere
Barrow 0 - 1 Newport

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:31 pm

Not a bad set of scorelines. I'm doing the vidiprinter thang over on the Remaining Fixtures thread.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:40 pm

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:06 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:59 pm
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:53 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 2:41 pm
When I’ve said in recent weeks that fine margining games was likely to see us unstuck there is never a better example of it than here. Ok we might win this. But our inability to find 4th gear let alone 5th on a good run is of concern. We should be able to steamroller the odd game. Yet don’t.
Aye, you've predicted doom every week, which takes some doing while collecting 35 points from 39 :D
It’s not a case of doom. It’s a case of getting enough points for top 3. We’ve had a great run but never put games to bed. Eventually that can become a problem. We need to play with a higher intensity and in a higher gear sometimes. Run ins demand it as do potentially play off games. And today is a perfect example of one or two things going against you and suddenly that lack of a higher gear costs you two points. And those two points may well be critical.
Mate, it's *always* a case of doom with you. You venerate Parky now but predicted failure all through his promotion season. Guess it's the way you're built. As my old gran used to say, "He can't help it, but he could get out less." :D
I do wish that you two would stop rowing, but I don't think that it is a case of doom, merely one of pragmatism.
Evatt set us up to score goals today, and if you, or anyone, can point out where we played like a side capable of winning today then please do.
We weren't going to concede today, but likewise we could've been there for a fortnight and we wouldn't have scored.
Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that goal difference could well come and bite our arse. Port Vale put a half a dozen past us.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:40 pm
I do wish that you two would stop rowing
Didn't have you down as a peace and love type. Me and BWFCi have been round a few blocks together – it's not a row, it's a difference of opinion, or maybe attitude.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Evatt set us up to score goals today, and if you, or anyone, can point out where we played like a side capable of winning today then please do.
It was far from our best performance but far from our worst. We had twice as much ball as them and seven efforts on target to their, er, zero. We've won similar games (eg Southend away) and been lauded for our ability to win ugly. I shall neither toss nor turn tonight over this.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
We weren't going to concede today, but likewise we could've been there for a fortnight and we wouldn't have scored.
Well, we *did* score, but it was disallowed for an offside I for one didn't understand, given that all our participants seemed to be coming from behind the ball. Just didn't happen for us today.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Also, let's not lose sight of the fact that goal difference could well come and bite our arse. Port Vale put a half a dozen past us.
We came out of the Port Vale game three goals worse off, which is how Tranmere find themselves at half time at Cheltenham. I wouldn't swap.

You just eat your spicy pizza and watch Tranmere get hammered, if you prefer. :wink:

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:04 pm

There's some tosh being uttered. Evatt made one change (Megson played a completely different team). Before the game, I doubt many were criticising the one change. Certainly not me. Young George didn't have a blinder last week. We've not performed well, today. That happens from time to time. We're not Citeh playing two leagues lower. We didn't lose. One of those games. Move on.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:04 pm
There's some tosh being uttered. Evatt made one change (Megson played a completely different team). Before the game, I doubt many were criticising the one change. Certainly not me. Young George didn't have a blinder last week. We've not performed well, today. That happens from time to time. We're not Citeh playing two leagues lower. We didn't lose. One of those games. Move on.
I’m not criticising selection. Just the lack of intensity and urgency we’ve shown. We’ve won games without showing that but today didn’t. I think we need to show it if we are to go up, play at full tempo sometimes.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:11 pm

Fri Apr 02, 2021 3:53 pm
Bruce Rioja wrote:
I do wish that you two would stop rowing
Didn't have you down as a peace and love type. Me and BWFCi have been round a few blocks together – it's not a row, it's a difference of opinion, or maybe attitude.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
It was far from our best performance but far from our worst. We had twice as much ball as them and seven efforts on target to their, er, zero. We've won similar games (eg Southend away) and been lauded for our ability to win ugly. I shall neither toss nor turn tonight over this.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
Well, we *did* score, but it was disallowed for an offside I for one didn't understand, given that all our participants seemed to be coming from behind the ball. Just didn't happen for us today.
Bruce Rioja wrote:
We came out of the Port Vale game three goals worse off, which is how Tranmere find themselves at half time at Cheltenham. I wouldn't swap.

You just eat your spicy pizza and watch Tranmere get hammered, if you prefer. :wink:
1/ I don't really care as to what you have me down as - your constant sniping at BWFC-I is tedious
2/ Having a stab without actually scoring goals = nowt
3/ For disallowed goals see the above
4/ OK, so if we don't get up on goal difference then I'll quote you, brilliant. You are, of course, the imperial arbiter. Back to my pizza ;)
Last edited by Bruce Rioja on Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:12 pm

U alright, hun?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:21 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
I’m not criticising selection. Just the lack of intensity and urgency we’ve shown. We’ve won games without showing that but today didn’t. I think we need to show it if we are to go up, play at full tempo sometimes.
As it currently stands, we've gone up one place into 3rd. We're not going to win them all. Bad day at the office happens to the best. Reckon they'll be pretty pissed with the overall performance (as I am) but shit happens now and again.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:24 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:21 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:09 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
As it currently stands, we've gone up one place into 3rd. We're not going to win them all. Bad day at the office happens to the best. Reckon they'll be pretty pissed with the overall performance (as I am) but shit happens now and again.
Aye. A loss would have been bad, but even that not disastrous - everyone else is so inconsistent that it's not lie a slight stumble is terminal. All four teams below us at 3pm today (Tranmere, FGR, Morecambe, Newport) will have hoped to take advantage; so far they're mustering one point between them, and that's at Barrow.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm

I actually thought Maddison looked useful today. Still too trigger happy, but he showed a bit more urgency than he has previously, and the quality of his deliveries into the box was high.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:34 pm

I dont know whether to be chuffed at the way this afternoon's games are going, or be pissed off at a missed opportunity.

The buggers even drove me to gardening today but I'll forgive em. Go again Monday and hopefully IE will address all today's issues.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:36 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm
I actually thought Maddison looked useful today. Still too trigger happy, but he showed a bit more urgency than he has previously, and the quality of his deliveries into the box was high.
The one thing I have Maddison down as not lacking is urgency. Quite the opposite, perhaps. I wish he'd take a moment. He seems utterly desperate to impress.