Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Scrambled Easter eggs. V Colchester at the Unibol, Friday 1-o'clock

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:38 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:36 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 4:28 pm
I actually thought Maddison looked useful today. Still too trigger happy, but he showed a bit more urgency than he has previously, and the quality of his deliveries into the box was high.
The one thing I have Maddison down as not lacking is urgency. Quite the opposite, perhaps. I wish he'd take a moment. He seems utterly desperate to impress.
I agree that that frequently seems to be the case but I just can't figure him out – sometimes he seems too uptight, others too laidback, but rarely Goldilocks.

I still think if someone had put in his performances without a back story we'd be saying they should be nowhere near. A bit like Arthur reverted to Competition Winner status today.

Dujon
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Dujon » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:00 pm

Right. I've cooled off a bit. Who stuffed up the kick-off time? The official BWFC site said 13:00 GMT as per TANGO's estimate. :)

So I set my computer alarm to awaken me at 23:45 my time (which it did) anticipating kick-off at midnight. In time zone terms we are 11 hours 'ahead' of GMT, so that should have been correct. But it wasn't! I had missed all of the first half - not that it mattered in the end.

Fooey.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:22 pm

Ok so all in all a good day, 3rd in the automatic spots after all games completed & we would all have taken this.

But although it's hard to have a dig after the recent run, but today was like going back 3 months - lethargic, slow tempo, creating fcuk all. This team needs motivating IMO they constantly play in 2nd gear, the tempo today was very poor & the attacking 4 very poor, the lack of a goal threat is really obvious.

So my take is that whilst its great to be in the automatic promotion places after results today, how we are there is baffling to me because game after game it looks to me like the players are not up for it. its just generally flat, regardless of what Evatt says - that 2nd half today was rubbish. These players are really close to promotion with BWFC but do these players really want it ?, we really miss Sarcevic we would have won with the captain today, without him there is no one else to drive the team on.

I would like to know whether it was Evatt or the players who thought that fcuking about spending 1/2 the game just keeping the ball passing between Gilks, Baptiste & Santos was acceptable for a promotion chasing team - we create very little & have very little goal threat.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:34 pm

This does feel like a real missed opportunity. Colchester offered very little and we were simply too laboured too break them down. Yes, we can’t expect to win every game, but we should have won that one.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Apr 02, 2021 5:45 pm

I just can't understand why with the end in site & promotion within their grasp and in there own hands after the early season shite, they play like they did today totally half hearted.

Where is the drive, passion & tempo to go for it & play for 90 mins - they are a good team but why are they always (apart from the Cambridge game) so sluggish. I personally think that Evatt may over complicate it, but they just need to be told to go out there and give it everything for 90 mins, they all just seem to play within themselves.

They come off the pitch at times like they have just had a training session, its just so lethargic and half arsed - promotion is in our grasp FFS show some passion, desire and intensity, the Bolton fans will love you for it for years to come.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Ah football. The one game you’d pin us to win we don’t. This ones going to the wire Inreckon.

Obvs didn’t watch but what a shame Arthur didn’t take his chance. There really is a lack of goals in behind Eoin...how was Maddison? Either him or Elbo stake a claim? I’m getting rather miffed at how little Dapo does goalwise. Add Delf to that as well.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:11 pm

Disappointing result, despite the point.With the amount of talent we have for this league, seems we scuffed quite a few genuine shooting chances to score. One put away was all we needed to take another two points. On the other hand, same could be said for them and we'd have got nil. Not the end of the world, granted, but a real missed opportunity.We won't get too many of those right about now.

Were the offsides fair calls, or no?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:12 pm

Dibs, its was a poor game IMO, I thought Arthur was very poor today he's an impact sub not a starter - I actually thought Maddison was better than Arthur when he came on.

Its no coincidence to me that we don't blow teams away, we 'd much rather waste 20-30 mins passing sideways between Gilks, Baptiste & Santos than try & score. Its hard to be critical but this team can do so much more if they really wanted it - I just don't understand why they don't, they are streets ahead of anyone else in this league but are happy to play within themselves, I just don't get it.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:11 pm
Disappointing result, despite the point.With the amount of talent we have for this league, seems we scuffed quite a few genuine shooting chances to score. One put away was all we needed to take another two points. On the other hand, same could be said for them and we'd have got nil. Not the end of the world, granted, but a real missed opportunity.We won't get too many of those right about now.

I thought the disallowed goal was correct, I thought Delf was clearly a yard or two offside.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:24 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 pm
Ah football. The one game you’d pin us to win we don’t. This ones going to the wire Inreckon.

Obvs didn’t watch but what a shame Arthur didn’t take his chance. There really is a lack of goals in behind Eoin...how was Maddison? Either him or Elbo stake a claim? I’m getting rather miffed at how little Dapo does goalwise. Add Delf to that as well.
IMO, Dibs:

Arthur was not just average, but sadly woeful - dribbling out of play, that sort of thing. Could easily have been hooked at half time; the only question was when. Back to Impact Sub ye go.
Delf was also quieter than he has been in a while, and also can't complain about being dragged off.
Dapo was very mixed, to me. He did his usual four or five Dribbling Into Defenders and just after the double sub he was arguably lucky to have escaped – at which he was switched to No.10 - he stood flat-footed while twice in five seconds team-mates passed to him. But then he had the best five minutes of the match and I was slightly irked when he was sacrificed for Miller, although I understand the idea.
Maddison was the same as usual in some ways - dribble toward oppo, fall over, look stunned that you didn't get a free kick - but did seem to be making an effort to be diligent (tracking back, and occasionally choosing not to shoot from 40 yards but lay it off instead). Still not clicking for him.
Elbo also dribbled the ball out of play - it was quite the afternoon for fans of Gumby Football. With his pace he suits games against high defences. Didn't look bad, but didn't look like The Answer.
Miller, while we're at it, came on in a weird sort of "nine and a half" role – which is a fair enough idea: he could be on the spot in the box but also drop back to help with build-up. However, in trying to be either, he sort of ended up neither.

The above may seem like a very negative report, but you know I don't like misery for the sake of it. It wasn't a *terrible* performance, it just didn't quite click. As it turned out, the day's result edged us closer to promotion because other teams didn't so much Not Click as Fall To Pieces. Funny old game.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:28 pm

Firstly, Megson did not get it right. Football is about winning things. We'd have gone down eventually. We'd have had Rangers in the semis for a shot at a European final in Manchester. Noone is going to be telling their grandkids about the seasons we finished 16th to have another go at finishing 16th the year after.

Today we started well but we were off it after that. But part of the way we play smothers teams. They didn't have a shot on target. Don't concede you can't lose.

It's also bollocks that we somehow have to find another gear to go up. We've been by far and away the form team over 1/3 of a season. Repeat the last 14 over the last games and we're going up. Probably as champions.

Obviously a disappointing result, and performance attacking wise. We miss Sarc's link. Also thought Maddison had his best game when he came on. Saved the Hollywood stuff for the final third. Didn't come up, but he was less of a liability and I still feel he just needs a spark.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:29 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:16 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:11 pm

I thought the disallowed goal was correct, I thought Delf was clearly a yard or two offside.
It was odd. Delf looked clearly off but the whistle didn't go for ages, and the lino was flagging from about two yards out, which suggests to me he gave Jones which was defo wrong.

So arguably two wrongs do make a right.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:29 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 6:04 pm

Maddison was not great. He improved some today from a place that was a low bar. He didn't look especially out of place in what was correctly identified as a pretty disappointing performance. Still sub for me.

The King as others have mentioned also seemed to confirm his place as "sub.

None of the wide/midfield forwards particularly looked like scoring. For me Dapo was only slightly less lost than Arfur. The last 3/4 games teams have seemed reasonably content to let him chug down blind alleys.

Delf scored early season but hasn't done too much since.

We don't seem to have quite the same impetus without Sarce. And nor do we look like a 4-0 team, despite dominance, shots and shots on target. 7 on target, you can win a game with comfortably, but as much as we were hardly threatened, we weren't sat watching telling ourselves "any minute"

If my eyes didn't deceive me, we won a header from a corner!

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 pm

Sarc, couldn’t work out the quotes from midweek - he’s not fit but injury not as bad as originally thought so may be fit next weekend?

Think Isgrove starts Monday, suspect Dapo will but could be a case for Miller, Maddison or Delf as the other.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:57 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:53 pm
Sarc, couldn’t work out the quotes from midweek - he’s not fit but injury not as bad as originally thought so may be fit next weekend?

Think Isgrove starts Monday, suspect Dapo will but could be a case for Miller, Maddison or Delf as the other.
Maddison not a starter for me. Isgrove probably will with Dapo. We looked more likely generally down the left today with Dapo and John.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:00 pm

Sounds like Sarc is close. Comments from Evatt read to me like no for today but maybe Monday. Tough one in that you don't want to rush him back and lose him for the rest of the season, but he's clearly v important. I reckon it'll be Isgrove or George for Arthur on Monday, with Maddison first off the bench.

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:12 pm

This time of the season, the teams at the wrong end of the table fighting for survival will be hardest matches. I always see them as potential banana skins and never ever expect them to roll over and die. They will do everything to frustrate and hope to score one. I was worried about this game like Evatt, but thankfully got a point which has turned out to be a very useful one based on other results. Promotion is in our hands.

The King experiment was a disaster. Impact sub from now on. Isgrove in my opinion helps the team to play at a much faster rhythm and plays on Monday for me. We do not have a natural #10 outside of the Captain. Delf did ok the few times he touched he ball but is never an energetic player for that position. I think Dapo looks exciting so people overlook the fact that he has had some very disappointing matches recently, loosing the ball several times trying to do too much with it. He needs to improve. Santos didn't look himself today but the rest of the defense did on. Hope Zack and Maddison get more game time over the next set of games. They are more direct.

We will play better on Monday against a team coming all out to win.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Apr 02, 2021 8:18 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Apr 02, 2021 7:29 pm

If my eyes didn't deceive me, we won a header from a corner!

And, of course, John did hit the bar with his free kick...
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:08 pm

Newport game will be different. They need to win. Suits us more i think then teams that sit in.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Apr 02, 2021 9:22 pm

We’ve looked better against the better sides. Suspect they expected to win today and it’s bit them on the arse. I think that results been coming...but that lack of goals/creativity from the players behind Doyle is worrying me.