European Finals.

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Re: European Finals.

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm

So that’s that then, thank God. I’m sure there will possible, deserved repercussions but I don’t care right now. Just glad the whole nightmare is over for now.
Attachments
A266653B-F156-436A-9924-E9AA3B250974.png
A266653B-F156-436A-9924-E9AA3B250974.png (271.89 KiB) Viewed 15394 times

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:01 pm

Great news. Sorry to say this for supporters of those clubs, like yourself GG but there has to be some consequences to the owners actions. I suspect UEFA will be terrified of doing anything too harsh but the PL should be looking at a fine and points deductions for next season.
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:02 pm

Arsenal open letter to fans

The last few days have shown us yet again the depth of feeling our supporters around the world have for this great club and the game we love.
We needed no reminding of this but the response from supporters in recent days has given us time for further reflection and deep thought.
It was never our intention to cause such distress, however when the invitation to join the Super League came, while knowing there were no guarantees, we did not want to be left behind to ensure we protected Arsenal and its future.
As a result of listening to you and the wider football community over recent days we are withdrawing from the proposed Super League. We made a mistake, and we apologise for it.
We know it will take time to restore your faith in what we are trying to achieve here at Arsenal but let us be clear that the decision to be part of the Super League was driven by our desire to protect Arsenal, the club you love, and to support the game you love through greater solidarity and financial stability.
Stability is essential for the game to prosper and we will continue to strive to bring the security the game needs to move forward.
The system needs to be fixed. We must work together to find solutions which protect the future of the game and harness the extraordinary power football has to get us on the edge of our seats.
Finally, we know this has been hugely unsettling at the end of what has been an incredibly difficult year for us all.
Our aim is always to make the right decisions for this great football club, to protect it for the future and to take us forward. We didn’t make the right decision here, which we fully accept.
We have heard you.
The Arsenal Board

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 10:54 pm
So that’s that then, thank God. I’m sure there will possible, deserved repercussions but I don’t care right now. Just glad the whole nightmare is over for now.
I wonder if the owners will be man/woman enough to issue statements saying they under estimated the strength of feeling, or if they’ll hope it all blows over, leaving players and managers to answer all of the questions from the media? I know what my money is on!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:04 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
I wonder if the owners will be man/woman enough to issue statements saying they under estimated the strength of feeling, or if they’ll hope it all blows over, leaving players and managers to answer all of the questions from the media? I know what my money is on!
See above!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:01 pm
Great news. Sorry to say this for supporters of those clubs, like yourself GG but there has to be some consequences to the owners actions. I suspect UEFA will be terrified of doing anything too harsh but the PL should be looking at a fine and points deductions for next season.
I’d agree on a fine, hit the owners direct in the pocket. A points deduction would affect players and fans far more and they don’t deserve that imho.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:09 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:05 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
See above!

Fair enough, but saying they didn’t want to be left behind is the thinnest of defences. At least they’ve done the right thing and admitted their mistake.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:11 pm

Now kick them out of the PL. Job done. :-)

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:12 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:06 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
I’d agree on a fine, hit the owners direct in the pocket. A points deduction would affect players and fans far more and they don’t deserve that imho.
That's how administration works though. Anyone on this board will tell you that!
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:14 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
How much does the fine have to be to actually affect the owners? £1m? £5m? £10m? They wouldn’t blink at any of those.

Players and fans weren’t responsible for us going into administration, but we were still hit with 12 points!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:22 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
See above!

Fair enough, but saying they didn’t want to be left behind is the thinnest of defences. At least they’ve done the right thing and admitted their mistake.
Looks like they are the only club out of the 6 to say in their statement that they actually made a mistake and the only club to apologise in it. Still not happy at all here with the club, or more especially the owners, but can go to bed safe in the knowledge that I can watch them again next season which I’m sure is a feeling you can empathise with. Even if every other football fan in the country hates us a little more today. I don’t blame them in some ways. Still, took the attention of the media off Covid and Prince Philip for a while at least.
Attachments
627A7BBF-D2D3-4A24-B072-03FDDD5C4B21.jpeg
627A7BBF-D2D3-4A24-B072-03FDDD5C4B21.jpeg (246.86 KiB) Viewed 15370 times

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:23 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:14 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
How much does the fine have to be to actually affect the owners? £1m? £5m? £10m? They wouldn’t blink at any of those.

Players and fans weren’t responsible for us going into administration, but we were still hit with 12 points!
A sizeable amount and redistributed direct to grass roots and non league football.

And did you think a 12 point fine was fair?!

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm

I'm thinking Shazza should ask them if there's a place spare, now. £300m as a joining fee wouldn't go amiss!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:23 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

A sizeable amount and redistributed direct to grass roots and non league football.

No, I didn’t. However, them’s the rules and we had to abide by them. Tbf if they’d given us 12 points we were that shit, we’d still have gone down! 😢

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:31 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:22 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:09 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
See above!

Looks like they are the only club out of the 6 to say in their statement that they actually made a mistake and the only club to apologise in it. Still not happy at all here with the club, or more especially the owners, but can go to bed safe in the knowledge that I can watch them again next season which I’m sure is a feeling you can empathise with. Even if every other football fan in the country hates us a little more today. I don’t blame them in some ways. Still, took the attention of the media off Covid and Prince Philip for a while at least.
I totally empathise with the players, you and other supporters. I know that none of you wanted this. Well, maybe a tiny minority. I don’t hate any of the clubs for this. I just think the owners are a bunch of greedy bastards who seriously underestimated the strength of feeling of their employees and ‘customers’. Fair play to Arsenal for coming out and making an apology, though I suspect there is an element of covering their backs.

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 pm

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

No, I didn’t. However, them’s the rules and we had to abide by them. Tbf if they’d given us 12 points we were that shit, we’d still have gone down! 😢
If we have broken the rules and that’s the punishment then yes, we have to accept it, as would the other teams, but when say, Leicester, win the premiership over Man City by 2 Points next season after City have been docked 12 It’s not quite the same achievement is it?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:49 pm

They're currently 18 points in front of Leicester - so it's probably no biggie.

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:53 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:38 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 20, 2021 11:26 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Gooner Girl wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:

If we have broken the rules and that’s the punishment then yes, we have to accept it, as would the other teams, but when say, Leicester, win the premiership over Man City by 2 Points next season after City have been docked 12 It’s not quite the same achievement is it?
I totally see what you’re saying and on the one hand it isn’t the same achievement, but on the other Leicester haven’t contravened the rules.

Tbh I don’t see any sanctions forthcoming as nobody has actually broken any rules. They’ve thought about it, thought better of it for whatever reason and decided against it. I’m not sure what rule break they could invoke and how they would justify a punishment of any sort. I think the embarrassment is enough for now!

Gooner Girl
Legend
Legend

Post by Gooner Girl » Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 am

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Wed Apr 21, 2021 7:20 am

Gooner Girl wrote:
Wed Apr 21, 2021 12:03 am
https://twitter.com/espnfc/status/13846 ... 98144?s=21

Rob Holding - legend 😂

Fair play to him, but I’d have struggled to recognise it as the CL anthem had it not been pointed out. 😂