Remaining fixtures

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Remaining fixtures

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:09 pm

Let's hope that late winnner for Salford knocks some of the wind out of Exeter's sails.

Credit to Barrow and Harrogate.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:12 pm

FGR's implosion is just incredible. The way they've been playing recently you'd think promotion was one giant steak.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm

Think that one of the key moments for FGR will be that chap injuring his hand against us. Don’t think he has played since.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:19 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm
Think that one of the key moments for FGR will be that chap injuring his hand against us. Don’t think he has played since.

It's no doubt been to our advantage that both they and Tranmere lost their top goalscorers at such a pivotal stage of the season.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:26 pm

Think old Keith and his onions have done a job for us with the latter 😂

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:31 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:13 pm
That was game over but they'd only won one in the four before that game. In the 12 games - quarter of a season - since 7th March they're W2 D4 L6 for 10pts from a possible 36.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:57 pm

Last time we beat Exeter was 1993 (we’ve only played them once since). We’ve never beaten Crawley.

Exeter look an odd side. Win 4-1 at Cambridge followed by a series of 0-0’s with a defeat to Barrow thrown in. Then a 3-2 tonight. They need a win so do we. Bring it on.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:37 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:08 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 9:00 pm
officer_dibble wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:53 pm
Can’t see Cheltenham not winning at least one of those games unfortunately for our fading title aspirations.
Never really expected the title. Win our games and get promoted. What an almost miraculous turn round and a massive cause for celebration. That'll do for me. :pray:
We've only won one division in 33 years, but we can't say those years haven't been interesting. Even so, I'd like it...

Beat Exeter 14-0 and I reckon we're in with a shout.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:48 pm

I really couldn’t care less personally about winning the division. Beat Exeter and I’d happily let Crawley pan us 83-0. Just beat Exeter. Please.

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Just for the #bantz: who was at The Racecourse when we were last promoted from D2 (D4)?
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Post by Burnden Paddock » Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:04 pm

TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:53 pm
Just for the #bantz: who was at The Racecourse when we were last promoted from D2 (D4)?

Me! Two cracking away days there that season. Second round of the FA Cup and last day of the season. A mate jumped over the fence at full time and broke both feet, at the latter! 😬

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Post by TonyDomingos » Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:01 am

Burnden Paddock wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 11:04 pm
TonyDomingos wrote:
Tue Apr 27, 2021 10:53 pm

Me! Two cracking away days there that season. Second round of the FA Cup and last day of the season. A mate jumped over the fence at full time and broke both feet, at the latter! 😬

Jesus, Mary and Joseph and the wee donkey!
Às armas, às armas!
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 am

Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm
FT.jpeg

Cheltenham promoted, Carlisle confirmed to stay down, Grimsby confirmed to go down. Exeter still in with a playoff shout but 2pts behind new entrants Salford. Still a fascinating division.
Not to very much be that guy (but I am and the maths fascinates me) but if Carlisle are confirmed to be staying up tonight then Cheltenham were already up, but if Cheltenham are only confirmed going up tonight then Carlisle could still go up :mrgreen:

But yeah, fascinating. I think Exeter needing to win suits us maybe? In that the game is unlikely to finish a draw.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:51 am

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 11:03 am
Tue Apr 27, 2021 8:58 pm
Cheltenham promoted, Carlisle confirmed to stay down, Grimsby confirmed to go down. Exeter still in with a playoff shout but 2pts behind new entrants Salford. Still a fascinating division.
Not to very much be that guy (but I am and the maths fascinates me) but if Carlisle are confirmed to be staying up tonight then Cheltenham were already up, but if Cheltenham are only confirmed going up tonight then Carlisle could still go up :mrgreen:
Afraid you've lost me there, Pru, and not just in the description of Carlisle as "staying up" (which wasn't really in question :mrgreen: ).

Cheltenham's automatic promotion was confirmed last night (hence CM legend Mike Duff's weird celebration dance) while Carlisle's play-off quest was ended* by a combination of their failure to win and other teams' successful collection of three points, no? I can see that the two are connected by the fact the teams played each other, but not that Carlisle's failure to reach the play-offs meant Cheltenham were definitely automatically promoted.

*I was wrong, though, that Carlisle mathematically can't still go up – although as they're 6pts and 10GD behind 7th-placed Salford, plus 5pts behind FGR and 4pts behind Exeter, they'd need a large number of precise results over the next two weekends: them to win both comfortably, Salford to lose both comfortably, FGR to get no more than 1pt, Exeter to get no more than 1pt (considering the Grecians' vastly superior GD). Once you start needing eight specific results across four teams, it's all but over.

Maybe I've answered my own question there...

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 pm

Aye that's all I meant. Cheltenham were effectively up on Saturday (barring similar mad results), but only mathematically yesterday. Carlisle are now effectively staying down, but not yet mathematically.

I don't think it helped the I wrote that battered last night but didn't hit send until today :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:29 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 12:14 pm
Aye that's all I meant. Cheltenham were effectively up on Saturday (barring similar mad results), but only mathematically yesterday. Carlisle are now effectively staying down, but not yet mathematically.

I don't think it helped the I wrote that battered last night but didn't hit send until today :D
Ha! The point of waiting is to check before sending... :mrgreen:

I'll be honest, I didn't really realise until FT that Chelts only needed a point for promotion; my main concern, aside from the musical chairs bundle in the lower play-off places, was not so much whether they could be caught by the 4th-placed team as the 3rd-placed team...

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:48 pm

Maths never being my strong suit( I used to think Pie -Thagoras was a Greek baker and Log-rythms was music from " I'm a lumberjack/Monty Python show"),thanks D.S.B for your so helpful updates on everything in the division. You must have spent some considerable time this season researching it all, so with the season almost over, lets hope you'll be rewarded like us all by seeing us up there. Cheers mate, :pray:
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:53 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 1:48 pm
Maths never being my strong suit( I used to think Pie -Thagoras was a Greek baker and Log-rythms was music from " I'm a lumberjack/Monty Python show"),thanks D.S.B for your so helpful updates on everything in the division. You must have spent some considerable time this season researching it all, so with the season almost over, lets hope you'll be rewarded like us all by seeing us up there. Cheers mate, :pray:
Thanks buddy, glad it's appreciated – and like you, I know it ain't worth a fig next to what those buggers do on the pitch. Happy to provide updates while at work (or building sheds) and also happy to reveal the research that I'd do for my own interest anyway.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 pm

DSB = TW Oracle

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:21 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Apr 28, 2021 2:05 pm
DSB = TW Oracle
Presumably as in the forerunner of Teletext, rather than a soothsaying visionary. After all, I predicted last summer that our late-season run of good form would end just outside the play-offs... :mrgreen: