The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 6:10 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:57 pm
fecking hell take a step away from the keyboards... players were not brave enough today that’s it. Draw was worth nowt today so I got what we did at the end.
Dibs, knowing what was at stake was that performance acceptable to you ?

I'll be honest as I always am regardless of who agrees or not, I thought 2nd half they shrank & hid - no fight, passion or spirit, we scored 1st which should have settled the nerves and allowed us to kick on, but this squad of players are passive, they do not have it in them to really fight and go at it for 90 mins, Exeter wanted it more 2nd half which for me is in excusable.

I'll say it again regardless - this team are bottlers, there are no leaders, characters, fighters etc. all they had to do was play with passion & intensity for 90 mins and they would have been hero's, but they bottled it as they did at Grimsby. This team don't have it in them to recover when things are going against them, they are mentally weak as shown today.

For months most have said that on paper we have the best team in the league, but 2nd half today an Exeter team of which I knew not one of their team out fought & out played us, same at Grimsby.

McD
Hopeful
Hopeful

Re: The future is hidden from all men and great events hang on small chances: Exeter (H) Sat 1/5/21 @ 3pm

Post by McD » Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:50 pm
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:48 pm
McD wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 5:41 pm
He should go
I really want us to win next weekend, but he should still go
:shock:

We were relegated as a complete basket case. Most of us thought we'd get in the top half at best. Southend, who came down with us, are ample evidence of where we could have been.

Absolutely gutted but let's keep some perspective eh?
Haha. Loving the absurdity of calls for him to go. Gotta be a piss take surely. How many managers have gone on to win this many games since Christmas and be on the brink of promotion after being 19th.
Absolutely serious, he should go!
How we won so many games, I simply do not know - the majority of those games we were 2nd best, and some by a long, long way.
If you can explain his tactics, strategy or game plan I would be very appreciative and look to revise my feelings
Example: Grimsby - bottom of the league had 28 shots to our 14 - His response? Please refer to my previous post

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm

I'm no fan of evatt and never have been, but like to give credit where its due and he's turned things around. Clearly he should stay given the second half of the season. He's not my cup of tea but ger behind the guy because what the alternative!

McD
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by McD » Sat May 01, 2021 6:18 pm

Example of a team playing like a team
https://twitter.com/i/status/1388100261013512193

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 6:24 pm

McD wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:18 pm
Example of a team playing like a team
https://twitter.com/i/status/1388100261013512193
There are some merits to your points. It’s frustrating seeing the failings we have week after week and nothing being done. Set pieces are indefensible.

But he’s not being sacked this week and it’s a bit hyperbolic to suggest he should be. If we mess this up completely and don’t go up then I think you can come back and discuss it.

Not sure Evatt telling the podcasters to ‘get a grip’ this week has done him any favours.

We haven’t been winning 1-0 in comfort with control. And that’s the point we aren’t George Grahams Arsenal. We’ve been a bit lucky to be honest. And in a run in been teams need to win and throw everything at you that’s the test and today we fell very far short.

There is another chance next week against a team with nowt to play for but who will no doubt offer a tough test.

We need to find some goals. Simply put our goals output is not enough to sustain a team in the top 3.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat May 01, 2021 6:26 pm

The state of some of you.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:26 pm
The state of some of you.
Oh hello....care to elaborate ?

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat May 01, 2021 6:41 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:32 pm
The_Gun wrote:
The state of some of you pricks.
Automatic promotion remains in our own hands going into the last game. Get behind your fecking team.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 pm

It was always marginal. It's still marginal. It's still in our hands, we might not win. We might not get promoted. But fcuk me, every team's going to lose a few. Grow up.

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 pm

Can we all take a chill pill please. Literally a few months ago we were in genuine danger of dropping out only the football league.

We’ve played our absolute bollox off for a few weeks and turned in the form of the country to get ourselves within a shout of the title - not just promotion - but the winning the thing.

The lads are knackered and have far exceeded most of our expectations.

Yes, today was a pisser. Remember people, we have no god given right to go up and Exeter were better than us. All the shite about us being not up for it etc is utter rubbish.

Personally- and somewhat controversially I’m sure. - I didn’t expect us to do nearly as well as we have this season and the fact promotion is in our hands is a massive bonus.
Last edited by dave the minion on Sat May 01, 2021 6:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:41 pm
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Automatic promotion remains in our own hands going into the last game. Get behind your fecking team.
Look we are all different and respond in different ways, some fans are passionate and others more passive (like our players) - but we all want the same thing - you are absolutely correct automatic promotion is in our own hands, but after that today are you seriously confident that we can go to Crawley and win because I'll be honest I'm not.

By the way are some not allowed to be critical ? - personally I'm gutted after today and have no faith in these players getting a result at Crawley, are we still pricks because we are disappointed ?

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Yes. Yes. This absolutely exactly. We can’t - and no one can - win every game. We’ve played out of our skins to get to where we are.

Now is the time to support the team we are meant to support, not get in their backs...

dave the minion
Reliable
Reliable

Post by dave the minion » Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm

The_Gun wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Yes. Yes. This absolutely exactly. We can’t - and no one can - win every game. We’ve played out of our skins to get to where we are.

Now is the time to support the team we are meant to support, not get in their backs...

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 6:57 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:46 pm
It was always marginal. It's still marginal. It's still in our hands, we might not win. We might not get promoted. But fcuk me, every team's going to lose a few. Grow up.
4 points clear with 2 to go is not marginal. Blowing it from there is never a good thing. We’ve another chance. Then another chance in play offs after that. But if we don’t go up from where we were start of play today serious questions will be asked and I don’t think anyone can say that isn’t fair do’s.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Sat May 01, 2021 6:59 pm

McD wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm
Mar wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
McD wrote:
He should go

We were relegated as a complete basket case. Most of us thought we'd get in the top half at best. Southend, who came down with us, are ample evidence of where we could have been.

Haha. Loving the absurdity of calls for him to go. Gotta be a piss take surely. How many managers have gone on to win this many games since Christmas and be on the brink of promotion after being 19th.
How we won so many games, I simply do not know - the majority of those games we were 2nd best, and some by a long, long way.
If you can explain his tactics, strategy or game plan I would be very appreciative and look to revise my feelings
Example: Grimsby - bottom of the league had 28 shots to our 14 - His response? Please refer to my previous post
This is the issue. I suspect Evatt does know why we ended up winning as many games as we have. He's not got us into this position by sheer chance and whilst I agree some of the games have been relatively lucky I would argue that we've had other games where this has not been the case either. Notably the disallowed goals against Grimsby.

We're not the finished article and I would suspect that we've got quite a bit of work to do to get us there but to suggest he should go based upon a bad performance against the leagues highest scoring team is crazy.

The_Gun
Passionate
Passionate

Post by The_Gun » Sat May 01, 2021 7:03 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:49 pm
The_Gun wrote:
Bertie Wooster wrote:
The_Gun wrote:
Look we are all different and respond in different ways, some fans are passionate and others more passive (like our players) - but we all want the same thing - you are absolutely correct automatic promotion is in our own hands, but after that today are you seriously confident that we can go to Crawley and win because I'll be honest I'm not.

By the way are some not allowed to be critical ? - personally I'm gutted after today and have no faith in these players getting a result at Crawley, are we still pricks because we are disappointed ?
Yes of course you can criticise, but calling out the players’ mentalities so heavily, and someone calling for Evatt to be sacked (!) is way overboard.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat May 01, 2021 7:06 pm

Mar wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:59 pm
McD wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 6:14 pm
Mar wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
McD wrote:
He should go

This is the issue. I suspect Evatt does know why we ended up winning as many games as we have. He's not got us into this position by sheer chance and whilst I agree some of the games have been relatively lucky I would argue that we've had other games where this has not been the case either. Notably the disallowed goals against Grimsby.

We're not the finished article and I would suspect that we've got quite a bit of work to do to get us there but to suggest he should go based upon a bad performance against the leagues highest scoring team is crazy.
I’d suggest that the failings we’ve had have not been addressed even when we won games in a great run. And that’s where the frustration is coming from. And evatt telling a podcaster to get a grip when said podcaster a Bolton fan pointed out our lack of goals ‘might hurt us’ typifies I think why not everyone is as fully on board as you might like.

He’s got a lot right in recent weeks but today you could pick the same holes as you could at Grimsby. If it’s the players just not performing in games like this then you can question them. But if it’s how we are set up then it’s reasonable to ask those questions. The lack of end product from the attacking players is glaring. Ok he’s got what he’s got but playing lads who barely score or create means we need to be better at the margins like set pieces. It’s not rocket science. If Doyle doesn’t score (and he seems to miss a lot as well as score) you haven’t got anyone else who even looks close to scoring a goal.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Sat May 01, 2021 7:22 pm

Tommy, I've not said that Evatt should go but I do think these players are mentally weak & have bottled it.

We have players who are apparently so much better on paper than our opponents and have played at a higher level i.e. John, Williams, Santos, Lee, Sarce, Doyle etc. but they didn't show that today or at Grimsby.

I don't mind people defending the players but you also have to admit that at home to Exeter 1-0 up in a game that would have secured promotion those players should have been strong enough & experienced enough to have gone on and won, but they shrank & hid, and bottled it and had no answer to Exeter - we couldn't even match there work rate - yes Exeter not the mighty league one teams such as Accrington, Rochdale or Blackpool.

I don't just get why some accept absolute shite like today, yet attack others who have a go because we should have been so much better, however well these players have done since February this is League 2 and many of our players have played regularly at a higher level and should have had enough to win the game today, but 2nd half they went missing, didn't fancy it etc. so for me they are not players who we want moving forward as they are mentality soft & weak. We haven't got out of 2nd gear all season so surely questions can be asked as to why they can't take it up a notch ?

irie Cee Bee
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by irie Cee Bee » Sat May 01, 2021 7:34 pm

We scored a beautiful team goal and played some good stuff in the first half. Exeter players blew us away in the second half with their desire. We had no answer, but I am not turning on my players or manager like some here because of a defeat. We would not be Bolton Wanderers without some drama on the last day.

Looking forward to it!

truewhite15
Passionate
Passionate

Post by truewhite15 » Sat May 01, 2021 7:38 pm

Bertie Wooster wrote:
Sat May 01, 2021 7:22 pm
Tommy, I've not said that Evatt should go but I do think these players are mentally weak & have bottled it.

We have players who are apparently so much better on paper than our opponents and have played at a higher level i.e. John, Williams, Santos, Lee, Sarce, Doyle etc. but they didn't show that today or at Grimsby.

I don't mind people defending the players but you also have to admit that at home to Exeter 1-0 up in a game that would have secured promotion those players should have been strong enough & experienced enough to have gone on and won, but they shrank & hid, and bottled it and had no answer to Exeter - we couldn't even match there work rate - yes Exeter not the mighty league one teams such as Accrington, Rochdale or Blackpool.

I don't just get why some accept absolute shite like today, yet attack others who have a go because we should have been so much better, however well these players have done since February this is League 2 and many of our players have played regularly at a higher level and should have had enough to win the game today, but 2nd half they went missing, didn't fancy it etc. so for me they are not players who we want moving forward as they are mentality soft & weak. We haven't got out of 2nd gear all season so surely questions can be asked as to why they can't take it up a notch ?
There is an infinite gap between not "accepting" poor results and what you pull every time something goes wrong. It's like proclaiming that an entire restaurant chain deserves to go out of business after you have one bad meal at one particular branch on one single occasion. It's hyperbole of the worst sort.