Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Burnden Paddock
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Crawl over the finish line (please!) sat 8/5 @3pm on the Sky box

Post by Burnden Paddock » Mon May 03, 2021 9:26 pm

Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:21 pm
Burnden Paddock wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 9:13 pm
Gooner Girl wrote:
Mon May 03, 2021 8:48 pm
I’m 25 min down the road from Crawley. Want me to go yell outside the stadium for you all?! :D

Get your shooting boots on and you can have a place in the starting 11.
Well I am an FA cup veteran... 8)

I’ll give you the veteran part! 😉

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 04, 2021 9:00 am

T minus 102 hours. I wonder will NORAD do a Bolton Tracker for us...

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 04, 2021 9:19 am

Gonna be a loooooong week.

The despondency reminds me of the forest game. I’ve thought all along a last day finish was inevitable - leagues gone that way all season.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 am

https://www.fctables.com/h2h/bradford/m ... er%20Match.

Just for added spice.

Morcambe have managed to beat Bradford on one occasion in 9 years over 8 fixtures. I know that it's history but if we're including the stats for us vs Crawley then this might be pertinent.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 04, 2021 9:52 am

DJBlu wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 9:31 am
https://www.fctables.com/h2h/bradford/m ... er%20Match.

Just for added spice.

Morcambe have managed to beat Bradford on one occasion in 9 years over 8 fixtures. I know that it's history but if we're including the stats for us vs Crawley then this might be pertinent.
My gut says if we win they won’t, but if we don’t, they will. It’s all about us on Saturday.

Presumably sky are gonna do the live league table thing throughout the game which is going to be Lee distracting than iFollow, but at least the feed won’t break. I had no idea Doyle had two shots around the hour mark until bwfcstats put it up on Twitter.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am

It'd be quite something if after all the energy spent debating which starting eleven we should go with, bringing our players' strength of character into question, and speculating over the existential threat to our football club failing to achieve promotion may or may not bring, Morecambe go and get gubbed at the weekend. :D

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 04, 2021 11:57 am

Re starting line ups - what would you play? I'd go with this. I know IE won't and understand why - but our most recent 'get over the line jobs' have involved late changes and freshening the starters up and I personally think it would help. I know nobody will agree but I think some fresh legs, minds and ideas would benefit us (albeit its a risk).

Gilks
Jones Santos Baptiste Jackson
Delfouneso Tutte MJ John
Miller Doyle

I'd pick a grafting style midfield 4 split Miller and Doyle down the channels as an outlet, build from there and try and get them into the box. Sarce would be ideal change - I just don't think he looked fit as a starter Saturday. Tutte and MJ offer the graft in the middle of the park, John and Delf protect our full backs but also offer something going forwards. Isgrove could do same job over Delf pretty much 50:50 for me there.

Get crosses into the box with two predators in there who hopefully will score some goals between them.

I'm going to be alone here but I think that team offers us the best chance of remaining compact - we can't afford to stretch the game like we did on Saturday whilst having a goal threat and allowing our best crosser of the ball John the chance for two or three targets to get crosses into.

EDIT: I'll also add that I think teams have started to work out that they can press us higher up the pitch and when they do we struggle because we don't get behind them often and even when we do we're not that likely to score. I think they've sussed that negating the centre halves comfort goes a long way to upsetting our rhythm. So I'd also be bold and change it for that reason too.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 pm

I agree we looked leggy last week. Some players blowing out of their asses and Sarce, I agree didn't look fully fit. Think the "pro's and con's argument is exactly as it was last week.

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Tue May 04, 2021 12:16 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:45 am
It'd be quite something if after all the energy spent debating which starting eleven we should go with, bringing our players' strength of character into question, and speculating over the existential threat to our football club failing to achieve promotion may or may not bring, Morecambe go and get gubbed at the weekend. :D
Making our win at their place even more crucial.

Bradford's form is LLLLD the past 5 games though.....

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 pm

DJBlu wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:16 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

Our win at their place is even funnier as it's sent their forum of "neverleftMorcambers" into a tail-spin. They forgot they only got a point off us at our place after Maddison had been sent off, later rescinded. They're putting the "us and them" competition on some sort of par of finishing ahead of Real Madrid. Oh and we're responsible for everything up to and including Global Warming. Small minded fcukers.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 pm
I agree we looked leggy last week. Some players blowing out of their asses and Sarce, I agree didn't look fully fit. Think the "pro's and con's argument is exactly as it was last week.
Indeed. The risk of changing vs the risk of not. For me I personally believe there is enough evidence over the past few weeks that we're perhaps running out of steam but I suspect more the pressure of the situation is making it tougher allied to opponents being bolder against us.

There were periods early on against Morecambe where we struggled to get out. Periods against Carlisle before that where we struggled. Grimsby was a mess but symptomatic perhaps of how once you unsettle the back two we look a much worse side.

I always feel these days are best served by starting well, scoring early and then ideally backing that up with another. For many many reasons it hurts your chasing team - as they hear you're in command and it also dampens down your opponents on the day who probably fancy upsetting you but perhaps at 2-0 down switch off a bit. I'm stating the obvious of course - score 2 early goals and everyone feels great. But looking at our recent form I'm not sure we want to be chasing the game in the second half as we've not looked too hot in second halves of late.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue May 04, 2021 12:28 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:25 pm
DJBlu wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:16 pm
nicholaldo wrote:

Our win at their place is even funnier as it's sent their forum of "neverleftMorcambers" into a tail-spin. They forgot they only got a point off us at our place after Maddison had been sent off, later rescinded. They're putting the "us and them" competition on some sort of par of finishing ahead of Real Madrid. Oh and we're responsible for everything up to and including Global Warming. Small minded fcukers.
Its probably the way Man Utd fans viewed us as we beat them at OT. Its natural for them given their history to want to pip us to 3rd and in doing so turn us into the representation of every big club evil they think they've suffered from.

As someone else mentioned the problem we've got is every team in the league is hoping Crawley beat us and Morecambe go up. We're not well liked - you can understand it. I guess that doesn't help us as Crawley will be motivated by that you'd imagine.

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm

They seem to think we cheat. I don't know if that's a reference to our recent financial issues or the way we play, but I read it thinking to myself that it wasn't our kit man sat behind our goal trying to prevent us taking quick goal kicks.

LeverEnd
Legend
Legend

Post by LeverEnd » Tue May 04, 2021 1:11 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:42 pm
They seem to think we cheat. I don't know if that's a reference to our recent financial issues or the way we play, but I read it thinking to myself that it wasn't our kit man sat behind our goal trying to prevent us taking quick goal kicks.
I mean, we do to some extent, but as you say there's never been a greater example of the pot calling the kettle black.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm

nicholaldo wrote:
Problem Morecambe has is that their only real football neighbour is Lancaster City - who are never going to be a league team. They are just spoiling for a local rival. Not finding one here...fair play if they manage it on Saturday, good luck to ‘em.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:04 am
This is probably one for a different thread...maybe if Tango is around he could move it? :-)

Buying 50% of the shares wouldn't restrict what the funding could be used for.
A job for our site owner, DjBlu, I think Worthy. Editing has changed somewhat. I'd advise starting a new thread, say "The Trotter General thread" for financial discussion?
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Tue May 04, 2021 1:46 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:43 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 11:04 am
This is probably one for a different thread...maybe if Tango is around he could move it? :-)

Buying 50% of the shares wouldn't restrict what the funding could be used for.
A job for our site owner, DjBlu, I think Worthy. Editing has changed somewhat. I'd advise starting a new thread, say "The Trotter General thread" for financial discussion?
Aye - not sure it's worth continuing :-)

nicholaldo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by nicholaldo » Tue May 04, 2021 2:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 1:29 pm
nicholaldo wrote:
Problem Morecambe has is that their only real football neighbour is Lancaster City - who are never going to be a league team. They are just spoiling for a local rival. Not finding one here...fair play if they manage it on Saturday, good luck to ‘em.

They won't find one here either. I just thought it was strange they seemed to take such umbridge at our perceived "cheating" given they themselves employ rather a lot of gamesmanship.

I'm not moralising, we gained a reputation for exploiting/pushing the rules under Allardyce and I had no problem with it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Tue May 04, 2021 2:27 pm

Agreed - I said it myself they reminded me of us in the premier league. Make the most of what you have and play the little guy. They will see us as billy big bollocks so automatically whenever our players do what theirs were doing, we are the bad guys. There’s are doing it just to level the playing field of course...you can bet had our games been played in front of fans they would have lapped up a result at our place as we did at Bayern Munich and loved the turn out from our fans at their place.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Tue May 04, 2021 5:09 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:26 pm
Worthy4England wrote:
Tue May 04, 2021 12:09 pm
Indeed. The risk of changing vs the risk of not. For me I personally believe there is enough evidence over the past few weeks that we're perhaps running out of steam but I suspect more the pressure of the situation is making it tougher allied to opponents being bolder against us.

There were periods early on against Morecambe where we struggled to get out. Periods against Carlisle before that where we struggled. Grimsby was a mess but symptomatic perhaps of how once you unsettle the back two we look a much worse side.

I always feel these days are best served by starting well, scoring early and then ideally backing that up with another. For many many reasons it hurts your chasing team - as they hear you're in command and it also dampens down your opponents on the day who probably fancy upsetting you but perhaps at 2-0 down switch off a bit. I'm stating the obvious of course - score 2 early goals and everyone feels great. But looking at our recent form I'm not sure we want to be chasing the game in the second half as we've not looked too hot in second halves of late.
I think it's a good plan :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.