The cheer us up memory lane thread

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Re: The cheer us up memory lane thread

Post by Worthy4England » Mon Mar 09, 2020 3:23 pm

^^ I'd be quite happy if some of our players could put a shot around there whilst facing the right fcuking way and with no defenders on them...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:57 am

Just when you thought you couldn’t love Sam Allardyce any more, here comes the time he gave Alan Green the “respect” the twonk deserved.
F82AD802-2909-4083-BE9B-99FA6236AD33.jpeg
F82AD802-2909-4083-BE9B-99FA6236AD33.jpeg (495.98 KiB) Viewed 9742 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Tue Mar 10, 2020 9:21 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Tue Mar 10, 2020 7:57 am
Just when you thought you couldn’t love Sam Allardyce any more, here comes the time he gave Alan Green the “respect” the twonk deserved.

F82AD802-2909-4083-BE9B-99FA6236AD33.jpeg
The whole interview is completely and utterly self-indulgent "people ignored me because I said bad things about them but I only ever said the truth - honest - I don't get why the BBC are ditching me - I know more about this than anyone - why didn't Mike mention me in his autobiography - its so awful - I love Mike".

What a completely self-obsessed bloke he is. It referenced Gower and Botham - complete legends of the game they were presenting on - and also the face for Sky's cricket from the outset - who both managed to leave (Botham willingly) Gower (not willingly) with more grace than this mound of absolute filth.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Tue Mar 10, 2020 11:14 am

Cannot stand the c*nt (Green). I thought the Beeb had already put him out to grass, but driving back from London last Sunday afternoon and there he is commentating on Everton vs Man U. Once again I found myself shouting "Nobody's interested in your fecking opinion on anything" at the dashboard.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:29 pm

Did the dashboard raise a sarcastic eyebrow? :D

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Wed Mar 11, 2020 9:12 am

Tue Mar 10, 2020 1:29 pm
Did the dashboard raise a sarcastic eyebrow? :D
:lol: :lol: :lol:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 am

When Wanderers beat Brentford to win Division 3 in 1973, somebody took along a cinecam.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Sat Mar 21, 2020 8:33 pm

The official club you tube channel are re running the Forest game at 1230 tomorrow.

https://www.bwfc.co.uk/news/2020/march/ ... -may-2018/

It’s a great idea. Personally I would have gone a bit further back - Newcastle on Boxing Day in a 4-3, beating yernited (any), the arsenal game where wenger threw away his tie...but there’s always next week 👍

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:21 pm

Thu Mar 19, 2020 11:55 am
When Wanderers beat Brentford to win Division 3 in 1973, somebody took along a cinecam.
Thanks, I would have been there; probably sat with grandad in the Burnden Stand. Even though Granada showed local games, very few Bolton games (if any?) were covered around that time, so a lot of footage of a half-decent team wasn't taken which would be gold-dust these days.

There used to be a page of all the games local TV televised (regional ITV ones) but I've lost it down the years. Has anyone anything similar?

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:40 pm

I’ve come across similar websites when researching for stories. I will have a look when I’m in work tomorrow, if I remember

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Sun Oct 25, 2020 3:40 pm
I’ve come across similar websites when researching for stories. I will have a look when I’m in work tomorrow, if I remember
Thanks - I've found it! Every region covered; http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv ... Match.html is the Granada page. Younger fans won't have a clue how we all used to gather on a Sunday afternoon to watch 34-40 minutes highlights!

Edit - I was right, BWFC went several seasons between games in the early 70's, ending with the game covered on 24/Aug/74 Blackpool 2 (Dyson, Ainscow) Bolton Wanderers 1 (Whatmore).
Have a feeling that was the game when in the visitors end (the big Kop) a lad was stabbed to death, all the fans had their names and addresses taken on leaving the ground (holding everyone back some considerable time) and the Granada footaged searched for evidence.

I was in the main stand, out of the way, and my parents very releived to see me home as news of the death was on the TV and the description of the deceased was reasonably close to me; ie. "dark coat with badges, youth". No mobile phones then!

IIRC the rest of the ground didn't know about the stabbing, and wondered why everyone was slow to leave the Kop. So after the game, on my way home, I had no idea.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:12 am

Aanvalluh wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:12 pm
Thanks - I've found it! Every region covered; http://carousel.royalwebhosting.net/itv ... Match.html is the Granada page. Younger fans won't have a clue how we all used to gather on a Sunday afternoon to watch 34-40 minutes highlights!

Edit - I was right, BWFC went several seasons between games in the early 70's, ending with the game covered on 24/Aug/74 Blackpool 2 (Dyson, Ainscow) Bolton Wanderers 1 (Whatmore).
Have a feeling that was the game when in the visitors end (the big Kop) a lad was stabbed to death, all the fans had their names and addresses taken on leaving the ground (holding everyone back some considerable time) and the Granada footaged searched for evidence.

I was in the main stand, out of the way, and my parents very releived to see me home as news of the death was on the TV and the description of the deceased was reasonably close to me; ie. "dark coat with badges, youth". No mobile phones then!

IIRC the rest of the ground didn't know about the stabbing, and wondered why everyone was slow to leave the Kop. So after the game, on my way home, I had no idea.
Yep. I was in nappies at the time but I think I recall the guy's name, too, still being sung in the mid/late 80s to the tune of John Brown's Body. Very different times... thankfully.

Glad you found the website. I've been rather enjoying watching The Big Match Revisited on ITV4, which is frequently mid-to-late 70s. A bit too much Chelsea for my liking but there you go, that's what fast-forward's for.

Aanvalluh
Hopeful
Hopeful

Post by Aanvalluh » Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:35 am

Mon Oct 26, 2020 11:12 am
Aanvalluh wrote:
Sun Oct 25, 2020 4:12 pm

Yep. I was in nappies at the time but I think I recall the guy's name, too, still being sung in the mid/late 80s to the tune of John Brown's Body. Very different times... thankfully.

Glad you found the website. I've been rather enjoying watching The Big Match Revisited on ITV4, which is frequently mid-to-late 70s. A bit too much Chelsea for my liking but there you go, that's what fast-forward's for.
Chelsea 0, Bolton 1. Greaves' tap-in after a Waldron free kick AFAICR. I was in the new stand facing the cameras, and was awestruck that Brian Moore passed me by just before the game!!

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Nostalgia buffs: someone's scanned and uploaded programmes from 54 Wanderers games down the years - https://www.flickr.com/photos/114058793 ... 834387360/

Part of the much bugger collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/114058793@N05/albums

Montreal Wanderer
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Montreal Wanderer » Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 pm

Fri May 14, 2021 2:11 pm
Nostalgia buffs: someone's scanned and uploaded programmes from 54 Wanderers games down the years - https://www.flickr.com/photos/114058793 ... 834387360/

Part of the much bugger collection at https://www.flickr.com/photos/114058793@N05/albums
Wow! A bugger collection. I think I'll pass....
"If you cannot answer a man's argument, all it not lost; you can still call him vile names. " Elbert Hubbard.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri May 14, 2021 6:11 pm

Montreal Wanderer wrote:
Fri May 14, 2021 5:28 pm
Fri May 14, 2021 2:11 pm

Wow! A bugger collection. I think I'll pass....
You make a pass if you wish, Monty... :mrgreen:

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Oct 20, 2021 1:26 pm

More merch than memory, but this shop - retweeted by the official BWFC account - might tempt a splurge

https://theterracestore.com/collections ... -wanderers

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sun Nov 14, 2021 9:56 am

Thought mention of today's "Legends" game might be worth a mention here, sort of "Back to the future"... :) Big sam (as ever) is hogging the spotlight,
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sun Nov 14, 2021 10:00 am

I'm back home for it. Can't wait to see Jay-Jay again!
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Angelica96
Hopeful
Hopeful

Emergency Plumbing Newport

Post by Angelica96 » Fri Jan 21, 2022 1:11 pm

No doubt this is an excellent post. I got a lot of knowledge after reading good luck. Theme of the blog is excellent. There is almost everything to read, Brilliant post. Visit Emergency Plumbing Newport for professional plumbing services.