Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

TonyDomingos
Passionate
Passionate

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by TonyDomingos » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 am

Sheehan having a medical today according to the BN. I sense a 5pm "incoming".

The Burnden Way guy on twit suggests Andy Cannon is in the frame too. Never heard of him, but the internet says he's a 25yo midfielder recently released by Pompey.
Às armas, às armas!
Sobre a terra, sobre o mar,
Às armas, às armas!
Pela Pátria lutar!
Contra os canhões marchar, marchar!

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:42 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:37 am
Ilesy thinks it will happen. https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... --reports/
What do you think of him? I've been impressed but only can say from the semi finals - can't say I've studied him closely. He seems to me someone who could fill in for Williams or play a more advanced role. Lacks goals. But has superb passing stats.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:45 am

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:42 am
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:37 am
Ilesy thinks it will happen. https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... --reports/
What do you think of him? I've been impressed but only can say from the semi finals - can't say I've studied him closely. He seems to me someone who could fill in for Williams or play a more advanced role. Lacks goals. But has superb passing stats.
That was my notion too. Could play for either Lee or MJ or maybe Sarce. One of the criticisms of him in the final was how deep he was lying, whereas in the semis, he seemed to get forward more. Looks like he can pick a pass.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:57 am

Thanks for asking my opinion, for what it's worth, which isn't much – I hadn't heard of the guy until I read Brommers' transfer piece on central midfielders. That's here – 

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2021 ... dfielders/

- and I heartily recommend you read it: it has various bespoke video clips and some fascinating Wyscout numerical analysis showing Sheehan's strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to quote from it too liberally in case Brommers wants #numbers on his blog but basically: Sheehan is a deep-lying midfielder, very much a passer, also a good dribbler/runner; he's less good on the defensive side of it ("not the most physically imposing"), but evidence suggests he will give it a go.

Iles' morning piece adds "According to Whoscored.com Sheehan finished the season with an 81 per cent pass success rate – the fourth highest in the division - with the most accurate long and short balls in the Newport squad of any outfield player." Newport have recently changed from long-ball to passing; he was a key part of that.

Warning signs, perhaps - only four goals and three assists, and almost all his career has been in D4.

TL;dr: dunno, ask Brommers :D
Last edited by Dave Sutton's barnet on Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:57 am

Declan John just been officially released by Swansea. Come on man - get that contract signed!

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:02 am

Only seen Sheehan against us and in the semi but was impressed. Would be happy with that.

The John "news" hardly a shock. Hopefully he signs soon.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:08 am

TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 am
The Burnden Way guy on twit suggests Andy Cannon is in the frame too. Never heard of him, but the internet says he's a 25yo midfielder recently released by Pompey.
Cannon (he's been fired, etc and so on) was mentioned on this thread on May 18th when rumours first surfaced.

I said "Ashton lad, 25, played 101 third-tier games for Rochdale then another 63 for Pompey... Wants to move back up north... Right-footed I assume as he's also played on the right side and a RB. Kenny Jackett said he saw him as an attacking midfielder, which implies he'd played a bit further back for Dale."

Brommers said "Made 24 starts for Pompey this season mainly in the left centre-mid position (but right-footed), in more of a defensive role judging by his stats and some game footage." And Cannon is also in the same Brommers analysis piece I linked to above: "a tenacious ball-winner," quoth the mighty B.

Warning, though. Evatt quickly denied this Cannon rumour and Iles played it down, and The Burnden Way – while a good writer and well worth your time - has been known to somewhat assume that rumoured transfers will happen (although to be fair he's asterisked Cannon's name in the tweet). None of that means the move won't happen, but Sheehan's apparently imminent signing, along with our reasonable strength in depth in the "2" of the 4231, might also cast doubt on this. But if it's true, I advise Brandon Comley's agent to hit the phones.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:15 am

Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:08 am
TonyDomingos wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:41 am
Cannon (he's been fired, etc and so on) was mentioned on this thread on May 18th when rumours first surfaced.

I said "Ashton lad, 25, played 101 third-tier games for Rochdale then another 63 for Pompey... Wants to move back up north... Right-footed I assume as he's also played on the right side and a RB. Kenny Jackett said he saw him as an attacking midfielder, which implies he'd played a bit further back for Dale."

Brommers said "Made 24 starts for Pompey this season mainly in the left centre-mid position (but right-footed), in more of a defensive role judging by his stats and some game footage." And Cannon is also in the same Brommers analysis piece I linked to above: "a tenacious ball-winner," quoth the mighty B.

Warning, though. Evatt quickly denied this Cannon rumour and Iles played it down, and The Burnden Way – while a good writer and well worth your time - has been known to somewhat assume that rumoured transfers will happen (although to be fair he's asterisked Cannon's name in the tweet). None of that means the move won't happen, but Sheehan's apparently imminent signing, along with our reasonable strength in depth in the "2" of the 4231, might also cast doubt on this. But if it's true, I advise Brandon Comley's agent to hit the phones.
From what I can see from the analysis you posted Sheehan could play in Sarce's role (though lacks goals) or in the 2. Which for me would mean another midfield player probably is stretching things a bit much. I still would have some concern about who fills MJ's role if he was out for a while given the stats don't suggest Sheehan (whilst often playing in that deep lying role) has the same level of defensive protection.

I doubt Cannon is happening given the denial (which is unusual for IE and Bolton in general these days to even comment on a rumour).

There is renewed talk of our interest in Stockton from Morecambe but I remember IE saying that the early targets rumoured (of which Stockton was one) were all wide of the mark and he was glad his real targets weren't in the rumour mill yet. So we'll see. Cole Stockton whilst being the sort of striker we might need and being free doesn't fill me with huge confidence inspite of his strong league 2 season this time round.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 am

Fri Jun 04, 2021 10:57 am
Thanks for asking my opinion, for what it's worth, which isn't much – I hadn't heard of the guy until I read Brommers' transfer piece on central midfielders. That's here – 

- and I heartily recommend you read it: it has various bespoke video clips and some fascinating Wyscout numerical analysis showing Sheehan's strengths and weaknesses. I don't want to quote from it too liberally in case Brommers wants #numbers on his blog but basically: Sheehan is a deep-lying midfielder, very much a passer, also a good dribbler/runner; he's less good on the defensive side of it ("not the most physically imposing"), but evidence suggests he will give it a go.

Iles' morning piece adds "According to Whoscored.com Sheehan finished the season with an 81 per cent pass success rate – the fourth highest in the division - with the most accurate long and short balls in the Newport squad of any outfield player." Newport have recently changed from long-ball to passing; he was a key part of that.

Warning signs, perhaps - only four goals and three assists, and almost all his career has been in D4.

TL;dr: dunno, ask Brommers :D
Please quote away DSB :D

I'd be very pleased with the Sheehan signing *IF* it happens. I see him as the ideal partner for MJ Williams i.e MJ wins the ball back > gives it to Sheehan > who then finds attackers up field, that sort of thing. A more refined version of George Thomason if you will.

I think this ends any speculation about Andy Cannon - I can't see us needing to add to CM, unless a real star player becomes available later in the window. Much more pressing areas of need now, most notably up top.

It's also interesting to note that Sheehan is another Welsh lad who's been involved with the national team. Sheehan, Jones, Williams, Isgrove and John have all been involved with the U21 side in the not too distant past. Could that familiarity be a boost for our chances of signing DJ permanently?

Quick addendum to the Sheehan analysis. My Newport County equivalent on Twitter just mentioned that Sheehan is actually pretty adept defensively, but has just had less of an impact there stats wise this season because of Newport's increased possession. Something I admittedly didn't think about.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:49 am

If Sheehan signs I think we're good for the deeper slots. Him, MJ, Lee, Thomason and Tutte is plenty.

I still think we'd need another 10. Sarc will rightly start as first choice but he missed big chunks last season and no -one else looked remotely convincing there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 am

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:49 am
If Sheehan signs I think we're good for the deeper slots. Him, MJ, Lee, Thomason and Tutte is plenty.

I still think we'd need another 10. Sarc will rightly start as first choice but he missed big chunks last season and no -one else looked remotely convincing there.
Didn't Sheehan play that number 10 role sometimes though?

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:05 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:54 am
Prufrock wrote:

Once apparently vs Barrow in April, if Whoscored is to be believed.

This is his touch heatmap nabbed from Wyscout for the season just gone, which shows he covers pretty much everywhere in midfield. He certainly has the attributes to play in a more advanced role though in my opinion, quick feet, good ball control, passing range and vision etc

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 12.00.49.png
Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 12.00.49.png (90.11 KiB) Viewed 987 times

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:13 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Prufrock wrote:

This is his touch heatmap nabbed from Wyscout for the season just gone, which shows he covers pretty much everywhere in midfield. He certainly has the attributes to play in a more advanced role though in my opinion, quick feet, good ball control, passing range and vision etc

Screenshot 2021-06-04 at 12.00.49.png
Yeah but I thought previously prior to the last couple of seasons he'd played there. But regardless looks versatile enough to play a few midfield roles which is useful.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:29 pm

He looked like he could do it (and he wears the number 10) but I'd understood from our resident scout that he was very much a deeper-lying midfielder. As you've said goals and assists don't scream play me higher but maybe. Or we could go with one pivot. Lee and Sheehan either side of MJ. Exciting, anyway.

As an aside, remember when "The Wanderer scout" was about winding up other fans on their forums? This new guy is out making stat friends and being useful. Makes me sick.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:56 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 12:05 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Transfermarkt, which is sometimes trustworthy and sometimes not, appears to think he's divided his time between attacking and defensive midfield; however, a quick flick around the games it alleges he played as attacking midfield seem to imply he was just central in a 3-5-2 anyway, so it's somewhat moot. However, when they did play with more of a 10, it didn't seem to be him; feels like they wanted him quarterbacking rather than further forward. That was definitely the case in the final, from what I saw.

https://www.transfermarkt.com/josh-shee ... plus/1#GB4

One other thing to note about his season just gone - he played every league minute except when he got a red card against Salford and served a three-match ban. Good sign that he's generally fit and important.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 pm

Interesting to hear Sheff Wed players are (allegedly) threatening to sever contracts over serial non-payment; PFA involved, you remember the drill. https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... s-20725749

Interesting in that if so, it would bring some new faces onto the market, and although they may not get their Wednesday wages again, one or two might be both interested and attainable; Kieran Lee could be a useful conduit. And even if they don't come here, they might mean that one or two of our other targets are clearer for landing.

Also interesting that Wednesday are understandably being held up as one of T3's Big Clubs, but this sort of stench doesn't help you hire players.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:11 pm

brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 am

I'd be very pleased with the Sheehan signing *IF* it happens. I see him as the ideal partner for MJ Williams i.e MJ wins the ball back > gives it to Sheehan > who then finds attackers up field, that sort of thing. A more refined version of George Thomason if you will.
Seems a tad harsh on MJ...I thought he had a good range of passing...

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:23 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:11 pm
brommers95 wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 11:39 am

Seems a tad harsh on MJ...I thought he had a good range of passing...
He does - but Sheehan's is arguably as good - and if MJ has won the ball then there's a good chance he can slip it to Sheehan who might be in more space. I doubt MJ will be banned from pinging.

Anyway, freshly-promoted BLACKPOOL have announced their retained list. Among the released is Sullay Kaikai (25, winger), who has played 103 third-tier games, scored 23 and assisted 17. Also hopping the tangerine twig are Liam Feeney (RW), Alex Fojticek (GK), Jack Sims (GK) and Adi Yussuf (CF). They've offered contracts to Cameron Antwi, James Husband, Luke Garbutt, Gary Madine, Stuart Moore and Nathan Shaw, but Ollie Turton has turned his down and gone to Uddersfield.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm

Kaikai please if Ameobi doesn't fancy the drop down. I'm surprised Blackpool have let him go tbh
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm

I'd be very happy with Sheehan.

Probably the best footballing mid in the division for the last couple of years. Uses the ball well, defends well and I think he has a lot of potential in the final third if he plays next to Williams and is allowed to make progressive runs.

Shouldn't cost too much on wages, free transfer....can't fault it.

Only question is the medical. Supposedly has a recurring issue.
Last edited by GhostoftheBok on Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.