Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:09 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 1:04 pm
Interesting to hear Sheff Wed players are (allegedly) threatening to sever contracts over serial non-payment; PFA involved, you remember the drill. https://www.examinerlive.co.uk/sport/fo ... s-20725749

Interesting in that if so, it would bring some new faces onto the market, and although they may not get their Wednesday wages again, one or two might be both interested and attainable; Kieran Lee could be a useful conduit. And even if they don't come here, they might mean that one or two of our other targets are clearer for landing.

Also interesting that Wednesday are understandably being held up as one of T3's Big Clubs, but this sort of stench doesn't help you hire players.
Horrible flashbacks there. They're in big trouble. Wouldn't surprise me to see them scrapping at the wrong end.

Big ground, lots of uncertainty. At best it's got your classic Sunderland 3 managers a season lose in the play offs.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Kaikai please if Ameobi doesn't fancy the drop down. I'm surprised Blackpool have let him go tbh
In theory, yes. But I was told they released him due to his contract demands. If I was misinformed fair enough, if not I don't see how we will offer more.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:12 pm

Can Sheehan, MJ, Lee and Sarce all play together?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:13 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:12 pm
We don't use 4 central mids, so I'd say not.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:14 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Not in our system as it stood at the end of the season but you need options in midfield and different balances at different stages of the season. Lee for me cannot be an every game man.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:25 pm

Evatt has to build a squad for a long season, where the budget is limited and the number of players is capped.

Williams is a dedicated holding mid, but he can also cover centre half or fullback in an injury crisis.
Lee can play box-to-box, further forward or in a real pinch as the deepest mid.
Sarce can play box-to-box or further forward.
Tutte can play box-to-box or deep.
Thomason can play play box-to-box, deep or further forward.

Sheehan would come into that as another mid who could offer some versatility over a long season. I'd suggest his most obvious competition would be Lee, but he could also come in for Williams or he could play in a team with Williams and Lee where Lee played further forward and Williams was holding. Also worth noting we are really talking roles more than positions with Evatt, but it's easier to talk about it in terms of position.

Over a 46 games season they will all get games and probably all play in more than one role.

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:52 pm

We'll play a minimum of 51 games this coming season - Having 6-7 central midfielders for 3 positions is about right
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:05 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:08 pm
I'd be very happy with Sheehan. (...) Only question is the medical. Supposedly has a recurring issue.
Interesting to hear. I don't doubt your source but he wasn't troubled by it last season - he played every minute he wasn't banned. Doesn't mean it's not there, though, and it's presumably a while since he had a (signing-stringent) medical.
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 2:06 pm
Kaikai please if Ameobi doesn't fancy the drop down. I'm surprised Blackpool have let him go tbh
In theory, yes. But I was told they released him due to his contract demands. If I was misinformed fair enough, if not I don't see how we will offer more.
They're saying they haven't offered him a contract; maybe it never got near the stage of pressing print, because their opinions were so far apart.

Pool forums are split on those who are shocked and those who aren't surprised at all. Interesting bit of analysis from Blackpool's answer to Brommers here https://upthemightypool.co.uk/2021/06/0 ... ased-list/ - seems they think that while he's one of D3's best left-wingers, he doesn't offer enough defensively (especially in Champo) for Critchley, which suggests he might not for Evatt? Notable though that only four Pool players played more minutes last season - including the goalkeeper, the main striker and the captain.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:23 pm

Cheers for that, DSB. I am fairly confident that knee and hip issues have been a problem for him in the past. If he passes the medical it's no issue, though. A Swansea fan on twitter said they released him due to his knee problems hampering his development, so I don't think I'm misremembering.

What I would say is I'm shocked to find out he's 6'. I've seen him in person and I'd not have him near that tall, but could just be me.

On Kaikai, I don't think anyone would have suggested Dapo would do the dirty work until Evatt got hold of him - yet he's a terrier now. It's hard to know with some players and it's one of those where I think he has attributes that would win us games, but there may well be reasons not to add him to our team. I'm happy to see how things develop and I have a degree of faith in our recruitment team.

Mar
Icon
Icon

Post by Mar » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm

Kaikai sounds like the lower league Martin Petrov.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 pm

Our kid and I were saying the same thing this morning on Sheehan :lol: Six foot? Are you sure?! He doesn't look it.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 pm
Our kid and I were saying the same thing this morning on Sheehan :lol: Six foot? Are you sure?! He doesn't look it.
Yeah definitely doesn't look it. That's what he's listed as so I assume a mistake.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:43 pm
Maybe you're all standing too far away?
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:23 pm
On Kaikai, I don't think anyone would have suggested Dapo would do the dirty work until Evatt got hold of him - yet he's a terrier now. It's hard to know with some players and it's one of those where I think he has attributes that would win us games, but there may well be reasons not to add him to our team. I'm happy to see how things develop and I have a degree of faith in our recruitment team.
Aye, all fair enough.
Mar wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:41 pm
Kaikai sounds like the lower league Martin Petrov.
Similar for pretty much every winger ever, to a greater or lesser extent: capable of brilliance, but not always diligent and very frequently inconsistent.

Speaking of wingers, six weeks ago we were "linked with" Kilmarnock winger Greg Kiltie, whose contract was lapsing. Well, it's now lapsed and he's left. No idea if there's any substance in the old story.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:57 pm

Fri Jun 04, 2021 3:49 pm
Maybe you're all standing too far away?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:29 pm

Speaking of wingers, six weeks ago we were "linked with" Kilmarnock winger Greg Kiltie, whose contract was lapsing. Well, it's now lapsed and he's left. No idea if there's any substance in the old story.
Couple of things I'd say about that.

Firstly, I'd have Kiltie. He doesn't solve our need for physicality or pace (not even close), but he'd be a good addition to the squad. He likes to be neat and tidy in tight areas and he doesn't mind a shot. He's 24 now and he's been held back by injuries, but there is a lower league player there. Needs to kick on now.

Secondly, I don't think he's a winger in our system - but I could be wrong. He's an "off" forward for me and he'd potentially be worth 10+ a season in the most advanced central position around a striker. His work rate is good and he can give and go for 90 minutes. I think he came through as a winger, but last season he ended up playing off Lafferty where his lack of athleticism was less of an issue and he was a handful in a bad side. Our preferred wide options last term had a bit of pace to them and I don't think Evatt wants to go backwards in that area.

That's just from watching games on TV, though - I've not done any proper analysis on him.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:00 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 4:29 pm
Couple of things I'd say about that.

Firstly, I'd have Kiltie. He doesn't solve our need for physicality or pace (not even close), but he'd be a good addition to the squad. He likes to be neat and tidy in tight areas and he doesn't mind a shot. He's 24 now and he's been held back by injuries, but there is a lower league player there. Needs to kick on now.

Secondly, I don't think he's a winger in our system - but I could be wrong. He's an "off" forward for me and he'd potentially be worth 10+ a season in the most advanced central position around a striker. His work rate is good and he can give and go for 90 minutes. I think he came through as a winger, but last season he ended up playing off Lafferty where his lack of athleticism was less of an issue and he was a handful in a bad side. Our preferred wide options last term had a bit of pace to them and I don't think Evatt wants to go backwards in that area.

That's just from watching games on TV, though - I've not done any proper analysis on him.
Might be just from watching telly but it's far more than I knew about him, so thanks. :D

What do you know about Harry Anderson? LINCOLN have released him (plus goalie Ethan Ross). As the club's longest-serving player (five years), he's got two league titles and a FL Trophy. Winger (unless you know better :D ) who struggled with injury and Covid last season, plus the surfeit of wingers that persuaded Lincoln to let us borrow Zak Elbouzedi - who is, by the way, on their retained list, not released.

Oh and NEWPORT have confirmed their released list: Ashley Baker, Corey Whitely, Daniel Leadbitter, David Longe-King, Jack Evans, Joe Ledley, Josh Sheehan, Kyle Howkins, Ryan Taylor, Tom King. Contracts offered to Aaron Lewis, Kevin Ellison, Robbie Willmott and Tristan Abrahams. "Josh Sheehan will depart Rodney Parade to pursue an opportunity elsewhere."

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm

I mean we’ve just signed someone called George Johnston who was at Wigan on loan from Feyenoord last season. Yep me neither…..

Centre half so I’m told. Which is nice.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:14 pm

Well that one flew under the radar. I can't claim to know anything about him but Wigan fans seem to really rate him.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:19 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:03 pm
I mean we’ve just signed someone called George Johnston who was at Wigan on loan from Feyenoord last season. Yep me neither…..

Centre half so I’m told. Which is nice.
The Liverpool lad? That's a good signing, if so. Versatile. Used to play right across the back and in midfield at youth level.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 04, 2021 5:22 pm

Well if it’s boiled the piss of those dickheads it’s enough for me!!! Good one!