creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

If you have a life outside of BWFC, then this is the place to tell us all about your toilet habits, and those bizarre fetishes.......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Re: creeeeeeeekeeeeeet

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 pm

I like Crawley but I’m afraid you just can’t bat like that at 3 in test cricket. Needs moving or changing.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:03 pm

Ah Root goes and normality is restored. England all over the place.

jimbo
Passionate
Passionate

Post by jimbo » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:08 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 pm
I like Crawley but I’m afraid you just can’t bat like that at 3 in test cricket. Needs moving or changing.
Moving him would seem most sensible, but we seem to have been stuck with too many 5s and 6s in the last few years. I wonder if having your only senior batsmen permanently in the 4, 5 and 7 spots has hindered the progress of others as those are where you’d normally give the younger players time to develop and learn the game.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:12 pm

From 72-0, to 85-3. Splendid. Our star man out for 4. I do hope we improve chaps..... :(
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm

Much of our woe is surely down to good bowling from N,Z.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:06 pm

jimbo wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:08 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:00 pm
Moving him would seem most sensible, but we seem to have been stuck with too many 5s and 6s in the last few years. I wonder if having your only senior batsmen permanently in the 4, 5 and 7 spots has hindered the progress of others as those are where you’d normally give the younger players time to develop and learn the game.
I'd bat Stokes at 3. I see no reason not to. The Crawley can go to 5 or 6. I think he's talented but his natural game is not suited to 3 in a weak batting line up. Stokes also would be more restrained than you might like but he's far more of a gradual take the sting out of the game type than people give him credit for. Our natural number 3 is Root but he refuses to play there.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:17 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 2:38 pm
Root got out to a good ball. Didn't see Sibley's.

Crawleys and now Pope's wickets were absolutely awful shots. Shots that a decade ago would mean those players wouldn't get many more chances. Now they are just repeatedly playing this rubbish.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:26 pm

Only seen Sibley's once, looked a good ball. Agreed on the rest.
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:35 pm

Oh for Ben Stokes right now...

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:17 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

Crawleys and now Pope's wickets were absolutely awful shots. Shots that a decade ago would mean those players wouldn't get many more chances. Now they are just repeatedly playing this rubbish.
I may be harsh but I think Joe Root's got to read that one better. Sibley was out to an absolute beauty. Crawley and Pope were both out to the sort of shots I wouldn't even expect to see in a taverners game, especially Pope's. Absolutely horrendous stuff. No excuses whatsoever for test batsmen to be out playing needless shots badly, leaning over and wafting at the ball with minimal foot movement. Awful, awful stuff.
May the bridges I burn light your way

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:23 pm

Oh dear
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:28 pm

And it all started so well... :(

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:10 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 3:17 pm
TANGODANCER wrote:

I may be harsh but I think Joe Root's got to read that one better. Sibley was out to an absolute beauty. Crawley and Pope were both out to the sort of shots I wouldn't even expect to see in a taverners game, especially Pope's. Absolutely horrendous stuff. No excuses whatsoever for test batsmen to be out playing needless shots badly, leaning over and wafting at the ball with minimal foot movement. Awful, awful stuff.
Perhaps on Root yes. The problem we have is for me Root is a decent test batsman and perhaps at his best a very good on. But he’s not great. And he’s our best. Arguably in this side the only one who is actually test quality.

Not that long ago likes of Pope wouldn’t even be talked about. Now he gets picked even though it’s abundantly obvious he can’t be bothered to knuckle down and apply himself.

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 pm

Not that long ago likes of Pope wouldn’t even be talked about. Now he gets picked even though it’s abundantly obvious he can’t be bothered to knuckle down and apply himself.
That's a harsh assumption is it not? Root and the selectors would hardly suffer that sort of attitude. Anyway, Day one ended on an almost interesting note. 258 for 7 isn't the end of the world. Could go either way right now.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 10:23 pm

TANGODANCER wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:35 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:58 pm

That's a harsh assumption is it not? Root and the selectors would hardly suffer that sort of attitude. Anyway, Day one ended on an almost interesting note. 258 for 7 isn't the end of the world. Could go either way right now.
If he applied himself he wouldn’t keep playing shots like that. Not sure we have any choice but to pick these lot as there isn’t much choice. But they don’t seem to have mentality for it.

As for match situation it’s frustrating because we haven’t had a great day, BUT get up towards 300 and we are in the game. And they bat last on a dry pitch that will surely turn so our spinner will take a few......oh....again we don’t have good spin options but I’ve no idea why we haven’t picked Leach for Edgbaston in this weather. I think if we had we’d be in the game.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 am

I'm torn on the notion of Stokes at 3. A few years back someone posted some analysis showing he could actually bat (as opposed to just score runs). There have been others tried at 3 from the middle order with at best moderate success.

Burns has looked in better nick of late. Sibley less so and if we look at the last 18 months of so, the chances of Stokes being in, in the first few overs is quite large. If I were going to experiment with Stokes at 3, I'd probably not want to do it when we've been averaging 26 for the first 2 wickets (and it's not even after first day lunch, often, so not like they scored nowt but hung around a few overs) . I think I'd rather put some resilient cannon fodder in there, Jimbo mentioned Denly earlier in the thread, who isn't really a test quality no3, but might at least last long enough to take some shine off the ball.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:57 am

Worthy4England wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 7:02 am
I'm torn on the notion of Stokes at 3. A few years back someone posted some analysis showing he could actually bat (as opposed to just score runs). There have been others tried at 3 from the middle order with at best moderate success.

Burns has looked in better nick of late. Sibley less so and if we look at the last 18 months of so, the chances of Stokes being in, in the first few overs is quite large. If I were going to experiment with Stokes at 3, I'd probably not want to do it when we've been averaging 26 for the first 2 wickets (and it's not even after first day lunch, often, so not like they scored nowt but hung around a few overs) . I think I'd rather put some resilient cannon fodder in there, Jimbo mentioned Denly earlier in the thread, who isn't really a test quality no3, but might at least last long enough to take some shine off the ball.
I agree but the alternative is your best two batsmen both coming in when the opposition have their tails up and you are in trouble with 2 or 3 down for not many. My suspicion is that England can carve out a reasonable if not good middle order with potentially Lawrence, Crawley, Buttler say all having a bit more licence. But it needs our best players at the top. It might not work and as you say the downside is Stokes coming in against the new ball, however technically he’s better than the ones trying to see it off there now. And mentally he’s whole other league.

There isn’t a magic fix and I suspect that lineup would be ripped through at times too but perhaps on the occasion Stokes got in and perhaps played with Root or Burns we might see partnerships.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:43 pm

I'm not a big cricket fan but I do like to see England do well and enjoy seeing the highlights on the evening news, when a days yawn fest has been condensed into a few good whacks and catches.

This thread is also very entertaining for the doom and gloom, introspection and self flagellation that appears to be a requisite for you cricket buffs :D

I was pleasantly surprised to see we'd reached over 300 in that first innings. I'd assumed we were all out for under a dozen and just had nuclear war declared on us :D
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 11, 2021 4:57 pm

Harry Genshaw wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 1:43 pm
I'm not a big cricket fan but I do like to see England do well and enjoy seeing the highlights on the evening news, when a days yawn fest has been condensed into a few good whacks and catches.

This thread is also very entertaining for the doom and gloom, introspection and self flagellation that appears to be a requisite for you cricket buffs :D

I was pleasantly surprised to see we'd reached over 300 in that first innings. I'd assumed we were all out for under a dozen and just had nuclear war declared on us :D
If you think this is self flagellation, wait until the Ashes starts.... :-)

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal

Post by TANGODANCER » Fri Jun 11, 2021 6:06 pm

Pendulum seem to have swung a bit out of balance right now. Still redeemable, but the Kiwis seem to have a few "Cometh the hour" men more than us. We badly need a couple of wickets to start tomorrow off with. Have at it lads.......