Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Where fellow sufferers gather to share the pain, longing and unrequited transfer requests that make being a Wanderer what it is...

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Re: Summer 2021 Transfer Thread.

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 am

Iles suspects we will sign another centre-back. But who might that be?

Well, here's our boy Brommers with his latest missive.

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2021 ... defenders/

The good news is it's as illuminating as ever. The bad news is that I can't see anyone there who definitively ticks both broad-brush boxes - technical ability and physical presence. I'm not one of those who demands we ned A Midfield Bruiser, but at centre-back I'm wary of going too far in the other direction with a willowy runt who'll get elbowed out of the way by next season's Charlie Wykes.

For that reason, and assuming we haven't got another Santos to magic up, I waver between wanting a promising ball-player like Godwin-Malife (although I doubt we'll pay compo for a fourth-choicer) and an older, harder head like Rhys Bennett. I'd be wary of anyone too far in either direction - like, say, Delaney at one extreme - but equally someone who's either-neither, like (it says here) Eoghan O'Connell, might not be too inspiring either.

Mind you, we were led to believe that Reiss Greenidge was all things to all men, so there's that...

Abdoulaye's Twin
Legend
Legend

Post by Abdoulaye's Twin » Wed Jun 09, 2021 12:39 pm

Tough, no nonsense, able to pass 5 yards with a good degree of accuracy and able to head the ball will do for me. Oh, and faster than me on a good day (not difficult).

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 3:55 pm

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 10:53 am
Iles suspects we will sign another centre-back. But who might that be?

Well, here's our boy Brommers with his latest missive.

https://bwfcanalysis.wordpress.com/2021 ... defenders/
Akin Odimayo or Udoka Godwin-Malife for me. Similar profiles, with Odimayo probably being further along and also being better in the air. Both versatile and athletic. Either and would even take both, with Odimayo being a good right back option.

In all honesty, though, it depends on what we are looking for. I'd assume we want lads we can develop, but if Evatt feels he needs another seasoned pro then that's very different. Certainly if we lose Baptiste there's not much know how left in that back four in terms of organisation. A lot would fall on Gilks.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:33 pm

Evatt describing George Johnston as "A top League One and Championship player"....that'll do.

Bertie Wooster
Dedicated
Dedicated

Post by Bertie Wooster » Wed Jun 09, 2021 5:52 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 4:33 pm
Evatt describing George Johnston as "A top League One and Championship player"....that'll do.
Apparently Johnston is a very good player, it's early days recruitment wise but for me we need a couple of strikers either at the same level or better than Doyle - a physical 6ft plus striker would give us something different IMO and help if we need to change things up during a game.

I'm really happy with Johnson & Sheehan both will improve the starting XI.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:11 pm

Who you dropping for Sheehan? Quite interested to see how it all works really. I definitely think we need a forward player in case of Sarce being injured again and someone who could push Isgrove and Dapo seriously alongside politic would fit the bill. Having said that if Delfonso were available this summer he would fit the bill perfectly…soooo if we can get him right…

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:56 pm

officer_dibble wrote:
Wed Jun 09, 2021 8:11 pm
Who you dropping for Sheehan? Quite interested to see how it all works really. I definitely think we need a forward player in case of Sarce being injured again and someone who could push Isgrove and Dapo seriously alongside politic would fit the bill. Having said that if Delfonso were available this summer he would fit the bill perfectly…soooo if we can get him right…
I'd not be shocked if Evatt went a bit "horses for courses" at times with his midfield options. Assess how he expects the next game to go and pick accordingly. If that's the case we might also see slight differences in role and position over the season. Sheehan could play deep, next to Williams; so he can carry the ball and dictate play. Alternatively he could play as a '10', which is where a lot of Newport fans rate him most highly.

I'm not looking at this as "What do we need in the summer?" as much as "What do we need over the course of the year?"

I suspect we have space for at least 4-5 more attacking players to arrive. I think we will want a minimum of 2 permanent signings and we'll then look at what the loan market can offer - either in terms of players in the last year of their deals who we can bed in and then sign, or in terms of players who are far too good for us to attract permanently but who could fire us up. It may be that we get the minimum over the summer and then go again in Jan.

When you look at it in terms of having three players per position - 2 first teamers and U21 - we are light in a number of areas. That is what Evatt has said he wants and I take him at his word. Evatt wants the U23s back and we need more players to have the working as envisioned.

It's then a matter of where players like Politic and Darcy fit in to that scheme. My suspicion is that, as much as we love them, both will have to earn it all over again next season and we will see players come in ahead of them. There's every chance we see a striker, two wide players and an attacking mid turn up if we have a perfect window - there's also every chance we just see one winger and a striker in if we can't shift some dead wood. People are expecting us to treat Politic like a new signing next season, where I think we will in fact play it safe and bring in someone who has already been doing it - trusting Politic to push himself to get into the first team plans.

A lot will depend on who we can get rid of, as there's a budget to think of; but over the course of the next 12 months I'd expect to see plenty of new faces to get us to our goal of a full first team and a proper reserve group pushing them.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:21 am

Evatt outlines why he decided to release Shaun Miller and what he wants in a striker.

Namely “Obviously, we’re looking for someone who is a bit more physical, a bit quicker and who can stretch the back line and give us a plan B if we need it.”

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... er-summer/

Completely and utterly agree with him. In fact I did a profile of the sort we needed and it was exactly that. There is no point signing a static target man as we just won't play to that. But someone bigger, burlier and with pace to run in behind would suit this team. I'd say looking and Sheehan and his passing ability it is even more critical.

Glad Evatt is making these sorts of calls because it was my reasoning for releasing Miller. Whilst clearly he was a great finisher there is a need for something different because if Doyle hasn't worked you want to change it up top rather than just throw on another version of the same player.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 pm

I don't think anyone can argue with the idea of getting a faster, stronger and just generally better player than Doyle if that's available in the market.

Interesting to see Wigan's chief exec bumble around why they failed to get Johnston ahead of us. Absolutely nothing insightful said, but it's about Bolton so we will obviously all read it.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... r-20783042

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 5:17 pm
I don't think anyone can argue with the idea of getting a faster, stronger and just generally better player than Doyle if that's available in the market.

Interesting to see Wigan's chief exec bumble around why they failed to get Johnston ahead of us. Absolutely nothing insightful said, but it's about Bolton so we will obviously all read it.

https://www.manchestereveningnews.co.uk ... r-20783042
Well Mal, he said we wanted to move to a big club, with history, supporters, ambition and trying to play decent football...

That about cover it?

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:25 pm

Worthy4England wrote:
Thu Jun 10, 2021 9:07 pm
That about cover it?
It read like he was trying to make it sound like we were big spenders, then realised that is easy to contradict and started waffling.

On the plus side, looks like their coaching staff really rated Johnston.

brommers95
Reliable
Reliable

Post by brommers95 » Thu Jun 10, 2021 11:18 pm

Brentford have released three players, one of them being Bolton native GK Luke Daniels (33). I can't comment on him ability wise but Bees fans only have good things to say about him (https://griffinpark.org/index.php?threa ... ls.135500/)and seem to think he could get another Championship club, but maybe he could be tempted with first team football.

GK doesn't seem to be a massive priority for Evatt and I think Gilks will be fine in L1, but if we're looking to upgrade and get (slightly) younger then Daniels could be an option.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 11, 2021 12:04 am

I honestly don't have a clue what Evatt wants when it comes to getting a keeper in. I think Luke Daniels sounds like a sensible pick, but then I also agree with people who think we should be looking for a long term number one to transition in over the season. I agree when people say Gilk's organisation is too vital to lose and also with people who say we shouldn't be looking to rely on a player his age over a full season.

I know precisely what (and if I'm honest, who) I want in every other position in an ideal world and in line with what I think Evatt wants. No idea how to call GK.

I have heard Marc over at the BN say Evatt wants an experienced keep who can really push Gilks this season, but I'm not sure what that means and how high a priority it is for him. If anyone else has seen more than that snippet I'd love to hear about it.

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:08 am

Agree on goalkeeper- all I know is we got it massively wrong last summer and had we got it right we would have walked the league title IMO. It’s massively important.

Dave Sutton's barnet
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Dave Sutton's barnet » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am

It's interesting - goalkeeping really is a very different position. Evatt inherited Joel Dixon at Barrow and evidently was happy enough to retain the incumbent. That wasn't a luxury he had here, so he trusted his mate Gilksy's recommendation of a lad from Fleetwood. Now, when we signed Crellin I assumed it would be for his work with the ball at his feet (and TBF that wasn't a weak point) but I do wonder how rigorous the checks were – how high the bar, so to speak.

Now, with Markham on board since February and a few months of scouting since, you'd hope we have a few more suitable options. I've nothing against Dixon – or, more generally, managers signing players they know, which was good enough for Clough with McGovern and Allardyce with Nolan (and worked out fine with Gilks, Baps and Doyle, among others); nor am I against the idea of leveraging players' desire to "come home" (worked out fine with Sarce). And obviously, as with most things in life, there's a balance - too much of anything can be counterproductive ("Presenting the Evatt Reunion XI, all born within a flat cap's throw of Bradshawgate!"). I'd just hope that our search parameters were wider than "born within 15 miles of Bolton" and/or "shared a changing-room bench with the gaffer".

But like Ghost, I don't what Evatt wants and I'm not entirely sure *he* does. That's fine to an extent - the bloke's still not 40 - as long as he learns, and he certainly had the faith and humility to switch from Crellin to Gilks.

As an aside, even great managers – not a category IE's in yet, but I wish him well - can struggle to identify and sign goalkeepers. For every Schmeichel, Fergie signed two or three Taibis; Paisley pensioned off Ray Clemence (who played at the top level for another seven years, including England for two) and replaced him with the erratic Grobbelaar.

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Fri Jun 11, 2021 11:55 am

Dave Sutton's barnet wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:12 am
It's interesting - goalkeeping really is a very different position. Evatt inherited Joel Dixon at Barrow and evidently was happy enough to retain the incumbent. That wasn't a luxury he had here, so he trusted his mate Gilksy's recommendation of a lad from Fleetwood. Now, when we signed Crellin I assumed it would be for his work with the ball at his feet (and TBF that wasn't a weak point) but I do wonder how rigorous the checks were – how high the bar, so to speak.

Now, with Markham on board since February and a few months of scouting since, you'd hope we have a few more suitable options. I've nothing against Dixon – or, more generally, managers signing players they know, which was good enough for Clough with McGovern and Allardyce with Nolan (and worked out fine with Gilks, Baps and Doyle, among others); nor am I against the idea of leveraging players' desire to "come home" (worked out fine with Sarce). And obviously, as with most things in life, there's a balance - too much of anything can be counterproductive ("Presenting the Evatt Reunion XI, all born within a flat cap's throw of Bradshawgate!"). I'd just hope that our search parameters were wider than "born within 15 miles of Bolton" and/or "shared a changing-room bench with the gaffer".

But like Ghost, I don't what Evatt wants and I'm not entirely sure *he* does. That's fine to an extent - the bloke's still not 40 - as long as he learns, and he certainly had the faith and humility to switch from Crellin to Gilks.

As an aside, even great managers – not a category IE's in yet, but I wish him well - can struggle to identify and sign goalkeepers. For every Schmeichel, Fergie signed two or three Taibis; Paisley pensioned off Ray Clemence (who played at the top level for another seven years, including England for two) and replaced him with the erratic Grobbelaar.
I'm sort of with that first bit - I think he'd like a GK who can kick off either foot, head it, pick a pass out from the back, play anywhere along the back line - oh and save some stuff too! :-)

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:33 pm

Declan John! Done!

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:37 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:33 pm
Declan John! Done!
Marvellous. Bloody fantastic :oyea:
May the bridges I burn light your way

officer_dibble
Immortal
Immortal

Post by officer_dibble » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:41 pm

Great news. The tiara to the shire horse!

DJBlu
Site Admin

Post by DJBlu » Fri Jun 11, 2021 3:46 pm

Three year deal. Good business.