Your England XI

There ARE other teams(we'd have no-one to play otherwise) and here's where all-comers can discuss the wider world of football......

Moderator: Zulus Thousand of em

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Re: Your England XI

Post by GhostoftheBok » Tue Jun 08, 2021 11:17 pm

Lee Anderson is the guy who reportedly thinks a secret cabal of Jews run the world, isn't he? At least he stays on brand. Wanker.

Harry Genshaw
Legend
Legend

Post by Harry Genshaw » Wed Jun 09, 2021 7:42 am

Those booing the players in England, are now aligned with the Hungarian fans who loudly booed it last night before their match against Ireland. That's Hungary in Eastern Europe,where we've previously complained loudly about our black players being racially abused.

Of course, they could have been booing because they're all avowed anti Marxists too
"Get your feet off the furniture you Oxbridge tw*t. You're not on a feckin punt now you know"

boltonboris
Immortal
Immortal

Post by boltonboris » Wed Jun 09, 2021 11:55 am

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Tue Jun 08, 2021 5:37 pm
Southgate released this mild, completely inoffensive and rather impressive statement. Naturally the troglodytes are up in arms.

https://www.theplayerstribune.com/posts ... ros-soccer
:pray:
"I've got the ball now. It's a bit worn, but I've got it"

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:14 am

Ian Evatt's view on the England issue...

https://www.theboltonnews.co.uk/sport/1 ... -grealish/

Given this snippet, I'm starting to think I might be IE's fake message board persona:

“This is how the game has changed in England,” he said. “We have an unbelievable amount of very talented forward players and midfield players. Growing up as a kid we always had incredible centre backs but at the moment we just seem to have a bit of a shortage there."

I'm off to buy some books on leadership and character.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 pm

Italy playing remarkably like Bolton here. Really enjoyable football match.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:30 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 8:50 pm
Italy playing remarkably like Bolton here. Really enjoyable football match.
I just said that Italy are very brand Evatt! Look a good side to me. If they had a decent striker….

Just can’t see England being able to play like this. Their tempo is so good. Obviously got a lot of incredibly talented players.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 pm

BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:30 pm
I just said that Italy are very brand Evatt! Look a good side to me. If they had a decent striker….

Just can’t see England being able to play like this. Their tempo is so good. Obviously got a lot of incredibly talented players.
I think I've said before that I see Evatt's style of play as a modern version of classic Italian football and that is what I mean. Beautiful to watch.

I think England have more players that big clubs would go out and buy, but as a team the Italians are miles ahead of where we have been. Mancini has scoured Italian football to find players to play his system and doesn't care about egos or reputations. The market is weighted towards flashy players who can do things that look good on match of the day, but Italy have proper footballers who understand how to control a game and dictate tempo.

In terms of Bolton, you saw there that the centre backs stepped out to take care of footballing mids. The teamwork was so good. Evatt's talk of Johnston's aggression fits with him understanding that we will need to see that next season if we want players like Sheehan to shine.

Bolton fans should watch that game and see the future.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Fri Jun 11, 2021 10:32 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:59 pm
BWFC_Insane wrote:
Fri Jun 11, 2021 9:30 pm

I think I've said before that I see Evatt's style of play as a modern version of classic Italian football and that is what I mean. Beautiful to watch.

I think England have more players that big clubs would go out and buy, but as a team the Italians are miles ahead of where we have been. Mancini has scoured Italian football to find players to play his system and doesn't care about egos or reputations. The market is weighted towards flashy players who can do things that look good on match of the day, but Italy have proper footballers who understand how to control a game and dictate tempo.

In terms of Bolton, you saw there that the centre backs stepped out to take care of footballing mids. The teamwork was so good. Evatt's talk of Johnston's aggression fits with him understanding that we will need to see that next season if we want players like Sheehan to shine.

Bolton fans should watch that game and see the future.
Yeah I can see all the similarities between what Italy tried to do and how we try to play. Different levels of quality but it was striking.

Italy do have proper players who know how to control a game and dictate. That’s where for me England lack.

But definitely Italy were a very good watch. Not often you can say that down the years. Love Mancini too. Proper manager.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:31 am

They played well but Turkey were abysmal, dreadful. Not enough at the top end for Italy to win it. Pretty sure that won't come back to bite me :D
In a world that has decided
That it's going to lose its mind
Be more kind, my friends, try to be more kind.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:22 am

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:31 am
They played well but Turkey were abysmal, dreadful. Not enough at the top end for Italy to win it. Pretty sure that won't come back to bite me :D
Turkey made the mistake of also thinking Italy didn't have enough at the top end (not that you are wrong). They adopted a system that assumed Italy couldn't break them down due to those failings and Italy's tactical system tore them to pieces.

Italy will live or die by their tactical execution. There are teams with better 11s and if those teams are close enough to Italy tactically then Italy will lose. If the Italians are streets ahead, as they have been against their last 29 opponents, they can beat anyone.

This'll be a cracking watch.

Bruce Rioja
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Bruce Rioja » Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:58 am

Italy played like Bolton? feck me. Who did they play in the Brandon Comley role? :lmfao:
May the bridges I burn light your way

TANGODANCER
Immortal
Immortal
Location: Between the Regency and the Rubaiyat and forever trying to light penny candles from stars.

Post by TANGODANCER » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:04 am

Ciellini adequately controlled a lot of Italy's game from his left back position. He was great. Up to that unfortunate Turkish own goal it was still a bit heads or tails . Not the best game to judge just how good Italy are perhaps, but it was enough to suggest that Immobille ( ironnic name for a striker) and co are ones to watch. Turkey, not a delight ( cough) beyond half way. Usual amount of operatic agony on show from both sides.
Si Deus pro nobis, quis contra nos?

Worthy4England
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Worthy4England » Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:08 am

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:58 am
Italy played like Bolton? feck me. Who did they play in the Brandon Comley role? :lmfao:
I think the drugs must've been in town last night but, Brucie, I'm concerned you're not quite onboard with our Ethos, Brand and Identity - good news is we have a Content Delivery system that can rectify this... :lol: :lol:

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm

GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:22 am
Prufrock wrote:
Turkey made the mistake of also thinking Italy didn't have enough at the top end (not that you are wrong). They adopted a system that assumed Italy couldn't break them down due to those failings and Italy's tactical system tore them to pieces.

Italy will live or die by their tactical execution. There are teams with better 11s and if those teams are close enough to Italy tactically then Italy will lose. If the Italians are streets ahead, as they have been against their last 29 opponents, they can beat anyone.

Yeah but there are teams a loooot better than Turkey who will be a lot less awful. I thought they were atrocious. Was like watching a bad Dougie Freedman team. No ambition but also no desire to defend. Allowed Italy to the edge of their box without any pressure. Gifted them two of their three goals.

Ive always had a soft spot for Insigne, but he's not top level and he's easily the best of their front three. Immobile is pretty average and that right winger was awful.

The flip side is still that up to there they are very good. Haven't seen much of the keeper but he's obviously highly rated and the two centre backs are superb. They'll do ok but I struggle to see them scoring against teams who can defend.

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:46 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:16 pm
GhostoftheBok wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 3:22 am
Prufrock wrote:

Yeah but there are teams a loooot better than Turkey who will be a lot less awful. I thought they were atrocious. Was like watching a bad Dougie Freedman team. No ambition but also no desire to defend. Allowed Italy to the edge of their box without any pressure. Gifted them two of their three goals.

Ive always had a soft spot for Insigne, but he's not top level and he's easily the best of their front three. Immobile is pretty average and that right winger was awful.

The flip side is still that up to there they are very good. Haven't seen much of the keeper but he's obviously highly rated and the two centre backs are superb. They'll do ok but I struggle to see them scoring against teams who can defend.
They looked a team though playing to the strengths of their players. And played a brand of football that I think is repeatable. For me it was a far better performance than anything England have shown. I wish we could play Turkey tomorrow so we could compare. Are we capable of controlling the game like that and forcing a team back for 90. I doubt it.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:59 pm

Well I mean it's a better performance than anyone has shown given only one other team has played and they lost 3-0.

You can't tell from one game. But that looked to be very much Turkey being bad rather than Italy being good to me.

I guess that's the fun, we'll find out soon enough :lol:

BWFC_Insane
Immortal
Immortal

Post by BWFC_Insane » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:11 pm

Prufrock wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 12:59 pm
Well I mean it's a better performance than anyone has shown given only one other team has played and they lost 3-0.

You can't tell from one game. But that looked to be very much Turkey being bad rather than Italy being good to me.

I guess that's the fun, we'll find out soon enough :lol:
I’m looking forward to tomorrow. Croatia not the force they were. So England should be able to impose themselves on them and let their attacking talent have a bit of freedom. I’d like to think we play through the lines like Italy as I think that suits Foden and Grealish and then have supply into Kane. Our advantage over say Italy is a world class striker in Kane. I don’t think we need to play as well as they did to win games. But other end midfield and defence for me are where Italy are a long way ahead. I hope we play to our strengths and don’t try and compensate for our obvious weaknesses and lose our strengths.

Prufrock
Immortal
Immortal

Post by Prufrock » Sat Jun 12, 2021 1:35 pm

I think tomorrow will tell us a lot. They're not the side they were but they're still a good team, especially in midfield and I think it will be close. I think we should win though.

I certainly agree Italy are ahead of us at the back but I'm not sure I agree in midfield. Jorginho is good in games like that where they have all the ball but he gets overrun against good sides. And then two young highly rated but nowhere near the finished article. Neither of them have yet done anything even close to Mason Mount who is younger than both and was just instrumental in Chelsea winning the Champions League. They were missing Verratti who is top class but their midfield is good without being great. The Turkish lads were *awful*.

They remind me of your classic England tournament team tbf. Well-hyped, a couple of potential stars, come into on the back of a good run beating average sides, found out as soon as they come up against anyone good.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:01 pm

Bruce Rioja wrote:
Sat Jun 12, 2021 10:58 am
Sorry to break it to you, but Pirlo retired.

GhostoftheBok
Legend
Legend

Post by GhostoftheBok » Sat Jun 12, 2021 2:19 pm

Turkey were awful, that's true; but then Italy have been making otherwise decent teams look awful for nearly two years. It'll be interesting to see how they do.